Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I still have tempered expectations about Holloway, and what he's going to produce at the NHL level.
2 years ago, the USNDT filled out the top of the 1st round due to some gaudy numbers they were able to put up. but I still don't think that team should have had THAT many picks in the 1st round.

It reminded me too much of the London Knights with Schremp, Gagner, Perry, Kane.
There were a couple of bona-fide stars, and a couple of guys who benefit from playing with a greater talent.

The Lemieux-esque numbers are easy to put up with fellow 1st round draftee Caufield.
Then you can see a passenger like Weissbach flanking the other wing for easy points.

I personally don't think Caufield is a great prospect, (I have doubts he makes an impact in the NHL on a team that already has Suzuki), but he just works well with Holloway.

Hopefully Holloway ends up being a fantastic player for us, but I wouldn't put too much stock into him racking up these points.

Other than the points brought up by other posters, Holloway has a higher points per game than Caufield.

I would like to see examples of players that are just products of their teammates, yet yield more points per game.

Last edited:

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I still have tempered expectations about Holloway, and what he's going to produce at the NHL level.
2 years ago, the USNDT filled out the top of the 1st round due to some gaudy numbers they were able to put up. but I still don't think that team should have had THAT many picks in the 1st round.

It reminded me too much of the London Knights with Schremp, Gagner, Perry, Kane.
There were a couple of bona-fide stars, and a couple of guys who benefit from playing with a greater talent.

The Lemieux-esque numbers are easy to put up with fellow 1st round draftee Caufield.
Then you can see a passenger like Weissbach flanking the other wing for easy points.

I personally don't think Caufield is a great prospect, (I have doubts he makes an impact in the NHL on a team that already has Suzuki), but he just works well with Holloway.

Hopefully Holloway ends up being a fantastic player for us, but I wouldn't put too much stock into him racking up these points.

Wait what? Did you watch any of the USNDP players that season? There is no argument to be made that Hughes, Zegras, Boldy, Caufield, York and Knight weren’t all bonafide top 25 picks. Each one was incredibly different which made them so dominant. They were all elite in their development before the program and all continue to be producing at excellent rates on separate teams now. In fact if the draft was redone today most of them would go even higher than they did originally.

I’m not sure what you are trying to get at with Perry, Schremp, Gagner and Kane as they obviously didn’t all play together. Perry was always a dominant prospect and has been a fantastic NHLer. Schremp didn’t have any of those 3 on his team when he had his huge OHL season and even then he had elite 1 on 1 skill but his attitude, below average skating and offence only mindset is what held him back. Even then he was a relatively productive player when he was given a chance. Gagner and Kane were an elite duo but to suggest that Gagner only went top 10 because of Kane is crazy. Gagner had amazing puck skills at a young age and had 49 pts iirc in the nhl as a rookie. What held him back was his weak skating, softness, below average defensive play and poor face offs. The talent was there. He produced well in the nhl overall.

Holloway also doesn’t play with Cole Caufield typically. This has been a gripe as people would like to see them together more often. Holloway’s line mates are typically Ahcan and Brock Caufield (Cole’s older, less talented brother). Weissbach also isn’t a third wheel like you imply as he has been a strong offensive contributor at every level that he has played. He’s having his best season in his 4th NCAA which isn’t unexpected but has never had less than 22 pts at this level. Are his numbers inflated due to his teammates? Yes but he’s a strong player at that level and often stands out in games. He’s a ppg player for Wisconsin is Caufield/Holloway aren’t there.

Anyways, back to Holloway. The reason Holloway is dominating the NCAA isn’t because of his offensive skill like some seem to think lately. He produces due to his incredible work ethic (he outworks every player on the ice), his elite skating (he may be the second fastest player on the Oilers if he was with the team right now), his physicality/strength (he is more developed than most players in their late teens/early 20s) as well as his amazing face off ability.
People see the numbers and assume he must have amazing offensive abilities which in reality it’s his pure offensive skills that are his greatest weaknesses. His vision/playmaking will not stand out as anything more than average-above average and he has a decent release on his shot but he’s far from a sniper. He also struggles to create in traffic or create separation as his individual puck skills are pretty average overall (individual puck skill is his biggest weakness of them all). He also lacks creativity in that he gets the puck in the neutral zone and wants to just skate full speed straight at defenders but doesn’t have the skills to maneuver around them unless he shields the puck and drives the outside with his speed.

With all that being said he has had an excellent development curve since his bantam days ~6 seasons ago and continues to prove people wrong. To assume he will be an elite nhl contributor would be silly but I never like to bet against players with production and an incredible work ethic. It remains to be seen if relying on physical tools will allow him to be productive against bigger, stronger and smarter NHLers but hey if Lucic and Maroon can be productive so can he. He actually reminds me a bit of a young OHL Kassian. Physical tools, average to a little above average puck skills, great skater (Holloway is way better skater though). The major difference is Holloway doesn’t do stupid things on the ice/cross the line and Holloway has a much better/consistent work ethic. A more disciplined and harder working Kassian is fantastic option for Mcdavid in the future.

I hope this post helps anyone who doesn’t get to see Holloway and/or hasn’t followed his development over the years! :)

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think there’s a good chance Holloway could make the jump straight from college to the NHL.

He’s got the physical attributes, the size and skating. He plays a style of game that lends itself to today’s NHL and he’s versatile, responsible and can play various positions.

Reactions: Reginald Dunlop

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Connor probably has better hands, finish and acceleration.

Holloway with more physicality, versatility, and (maybe) higher top end speed.
If that’s a honest comparable I’ll take it. The added grit is needed on this team. Haven’t watched him much, but he sounds like an exciting prospect.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
Holloway should spend next season in the AHL continuing to develop his offensive game. I’m guessing That is Holland’s plan as well.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Wait what? Did you watch any of the USNDP players that season? There is no argument to be made that Hughes, Zegras, Boldy, Caufield, York and Knight weren’t all bonafide top 25 picks. Each one was incredibly different which made them so dominant. They were all elite in their development before the program and all continue to be producing at excellent rates on separate teams now. In fact if the draft was redone today most of them would go even higher than they did originally.

I’m not sure what you are trying to get at with Perry, Schremp, Gagner and Kane as they obviously didn’t all play together. Perry was always a dominant prospect and has been a fantastic NHLer. Schremp didn’t have any of those 3 on his team when he had his huge OHL season and even then he had elite 1 on 1 skill but his attitude, below average skating and offence only mindset is what held him back. Even then he was a relatively productive player when he was given a chance. Gagner and Kane were an elite duo but to suggest that Gagner only went top 10 because of Kane is crazy. Gagner had amazing puck skills at a young age and had 49 pts iirc in the nhl as a rookie. What held him back was his weak skating, softness, below average defensive play and poor face offs. The talent was there. He produced well in the nhl overall.

Holloway also doesn’t play with Cole Caufield typically. This has been a gripe as people would like to see them together more often. Holloway’s line mates are typically Ahcan and Brock Caufield (Cole’s older, less talented brother). Weissbach also isn’t a third wheel like you imply as he has been a strong offensive contributor at every level that he has played. He’s having his best season in his 4th NCAA which isn’t unexpected but has never had less than 22 pts at this level. Are his numbers inflated due to his teammates? Yes but he’s a strong player at that level and often stands out in games. He’s a ppg player for Wisconsin is Caufield/Holloway aren’t there.

Anyways, back to Holloway. The reason Holloway is dominating the NCAA isn’t because of his offensive skill like some seem to think lately. He produces due to his incredible work ethic (he outworks every player on the ice), his elite skating (he may be the second fastest player on the Oilers if he was with the team right now), his physicality/strength (he is more developed than most players in their late teens/early 20s) as well as his amazing face off ability.
People see the numbers and assume he must have amazing offensive abilities which in reality it’s his pure offensive skills that are his greatest weaknesses. His vision/playmaking will not stand out as anything more than average-above average and he has a decent release on his shot but he’s far from a sniper. He also struggles to create in traffic or create separation as his individual puck skills are pretty average overall (individual puck skill is his biggest weakness of them all). He also lacks creativity in that he gets the puck in the neutral zone and wants to just skate full speed straight at defenders but doesn’t have the skills to maneuver around them unless he shields the puck and drives the outside with his speed.

With all that being said he has had an excellent development curve since his bantam days ~6 seasons ago and continues to prove people wrong. To assume he will be an elite nhl contributor would be silly but I never like to bet against players with production and an incredible work ethic. It remains to be seen if relying on physical tools will allow him to be productive against bigger, stronger and smarter NHLers but hey if Lucic and Maroon can be productive so can he. He actually reminds me a bit of a young OHL Kassian. Physical tools, average to a little above average puck skills, great skater (Holloway is way better skater though). The major difference is Holloway doesn’t do stupid things on the ice/cross the line and Holloway has a much better/consistent work ethic. A more disciplined and harder working Kassian is fantastic option for Mcdavid in the future.

I hope this post helps anyone who doesn’t get to see Holloway and/or hasn’t followed his development over the years! :)

Thanks for the very informative post.

This basically aligns to what a lot of people are thinking about him in the NHL. It also aligns to my limited viewings of him, especially the part about his lack of individual puck skills (he really isn't very good with the puck from what I've seen). It seems like the consensus is that he is unlikely to have the pure skill to be a point producer in a top-6 role. Very likely to have a career as a 3rd liner who gives you his all every shift, and can contribute a little offence every once and a while. Maybe with some further development, or with the right line mates, he would suffice as a 2nd line guy at some point. With his size/speed/grit combo (which is pretty darn rare to be honest), he will be a demon on the forecheck I would imagine and could open up space and plays for more skilled players on his line.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Holloway should spend next season in the AHL continuing to develop his offensive game. I’m guessing That is Holland’s plan as well.

You would think. I also wouldn't be totally surprised to see him back in the NCAA again, but that seems less and less likely as he continues to pile up points. The AHL would be great for him next year.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
At the very least he signs a PTO with the Condors when his season is done imo

I'm not sure NCAA rules allow for a PTO contract to play professional hockey. There won't be any half measures if Holloway feels he is ready for next step in development toward his goal to be an NHL player. Moving up to Bakersfield at year end would accelerate the development path and give both Holloway and Oilers organization another benchmark to assess how close (or far) he is from NHL playing time.

To some of the points made in this thread. One must consider the totality and utility of Holloway's game in his current state as a college sophomore. His point total is substantive and impressive. However this is a year he's made a strong U20 Canadian roster in which he played up and down the lineup including PK time. On a strong college team, he's driving a 1A line, contributing top PP and PK minutes, and showing 60%+ face-off success. It is the significant utility in this player's game driven by NHL size, speed and aggressive puck hunter mentality that all point arrows up in asserting himself into a highly productive sophomore after a deep dive freshman year. This speaks as well to mental aspects of confident and resiliency to take challenging circumstances and grow from them.

Unless Holloway hits a late season wall, I think he and the organization opt for pro development and another development jump on his way to earning an NHL roster. It is the sum and utility of his game that projects positively to likely the next phase of 100% focus and commitment as a pro player.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm not sure NCAA rules allow for a PTO contract to play professional hockey. There won't be any half measures if Holloway feels he is ready for next step in development toward his goal to be an NHL player. Moving up to Bakersfield at year end would accelerate the development path and give both Holloway and Oilers organization another benchmark to assess how close (or far) he is from NHL playing time.

To some of the points made in this thread. One must consider the totality and utility of Holloway's game in his current state as a college sophomore. His point total is substantive and impressive. However this is a year he's made a strong U20 Canadian roster in which he played up and down the lineup including PK time. On a strong college team, he's driving a 1A line, contributing top PP and PK minutes, and showing 60%+ face-off success. It is the significant utility in this player's game driven by NHL size, speed and aggressive puck hunter mentality that all point arrows up in asserting himself into a highly productive sophomore after a deep dive freshman year. This speaks as well to mental aspects of confident and resiliency to take challenging circumstances and grow from them.

Unless Holloway hits a late season wall, I think he and the organization opt for pro development and another development jump on his way to earning an NHL roster. It is the sum and utility of his game that projects positively to likely the next phase of 100% focus and commitment as a pro player.

Good post. I think this player is a great example of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts". I don't think there is 1 aspect that makes Holloway an NHL player (maybe his skating I suppose), but the combination of size, speed, puck doggedness, 200-foot game, faceoffs, ability to play wing and center, and at least some offensive ability makes him a tantalizing prospect.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Why wouldn't the NCAA allow him to sign a PTO?

I think what cyclone is referring to is having him go pro at the end of his season but not burning a year of his ELC by having him on a tryout and having his contract start next year.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Why wouldn't the NCAA allow him to sign a PTO?

I think what cyclone is referring to is having him go pro at the end of his season but not burning a year of his ELC by having him on a tryout and having his contract start next year.

The NCAA has very strict rules prohibiting its 'workforce' so called amateur athletes from playing professional. This extends to professional hockey leagues and to the CHL where junior players in any of the three Canadian junior leagues are deemed ineligible for college. Here's one link of many available: NHL, AHL and ECHL Hockey Contracts 101

Try-out deals, nearly always called ATOs and PTOs (A is for amateur and P is for professional) are short-term deals that pay a per-diem and expire after 25 games played. They can be renewed, however. The most common use for these contracts is for professional players looking for AHL or NHL jobs in the early part of a season and for amateur players, usually graduating juniors, looking for AHL or ECHL jobs in the spring.
Drafted prospects from junior hockey or Europe can play on AHL or ECHL teams under an ATO when their other hockey season is over. NCAA players cannot unless they have finished college hockey.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The NCAA has very strict rules prohibiting its 'workforce' so called amateur athletes from playing professional. This extends to professional hockey leagues and to the CHL where junior players in any of the three Canadian junior leagues are deemed ineligible for college. Here's one link of many available: NHL, AHL and ECHL Hockey Contracts 101

Try-out deals, nearly always called ATOs and PTOs (A is for amateur and P is for professional) are short-term deals that pay a per-diem and expire after 25 games played. They can be renewed, however. The most common use for these contracts is for professional players looking for AHL or NHL jobs in the early part of a season and for amateur players, usually graduating juniors, looking for AHL or ECHL jobs in the spring.
Drafted prospects from junior hockey or Europe can play on AHL or ECHL teams under an ATO when their other hockey season is over. NCAA players cannot unless they have finished college hockey.
I am aware of the NCAA rules, cyclone was implying that his college career would be done, and rather than waste a year of his ELC, have him on a ATO.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I am aware of the NCAA rules, cyclone was implying that his college career would be done, and rather than waste a year of his ELC, have him on a ATO.

He's an NHL first round pick. I don't think Holloway is going to accept the risk of playing without full contract certainty if he chooses to go pro. And I don't think the Oilers who drafted him as a first round pick is going to dink around with half measures. If Holloway comes out it will be on an NHL contract.

Reactions: nabob

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He's an NHL first round pick. I don't think Holloway is going to accept the risk of playing without full contract certainty if he chooses to go pro. And I don't think the Oilers who drafted him as a first round pick is going to dink around with half measures. If Holloway comes out it will be on an NHL contract.
I agree.

Sometimes theres benefits to starting an ELC earlier anyways, able to re-sign them before they really burst onto the scene.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I agree.

Sometimes theres benefits to starting an ELC earlier anyways, able to re-sign them before they really burst onto the scene.

It would be incredibly bad faith in my opinion to ask your first round pick to forego college on essentially a promisary note of only a PTO invite to a pro camp. And no high pick is going to place themselves at risk with zero financial certainty and would have to wonder about the credibility & intent of any professional organization that did.

My impression of Cyclone's post was that maybe Holloway could dip his toe as a trial into pro hockey via PTO and, have the fallback to return to college if it didn't work out. The answer there is a hard no.

EDIT: The NCAA is a joke as a billion dollar business that doesn't pay its workforce yet maintains draconian control. Here's some of the restrictions imposed for hockey players: https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018DIENF_NHLEducational_Memo_20180424.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad