Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
My exact thoughts as well.

If he continues at or near like 2.0 PPG, then we should graduate him to the Condors. Especially if Wisconsin goes on to win the NCAA Championship, they look really good right now and just demolished #2 ranked Minnesota on the road. Completely ran them out of their own building.

But otherwise, another year at Wisconsin wouldn’t harm him at all. He’s really starting to develop his stick handling and puck skills, along with confidence carrying the puck lots.

Such an exciting to prospect to follow, he impacts the game in so many different ways. He’ll be a mainstay on our roster in the not so distant future. He’s a player pretty much any coach will love.
I think the natural progression for him is the AHL if he finishes the year at 1.5+PPG. He's doing this almost exclusively at even strength to the point where there just isn't a lot left to learn at the NCAA level and he needs to be faced with a challenge of doing it against bigger and stronger opponents.

If he keeps this up I think he should go pro next year, get a chance to make the NHL out of camp if he blows the doors off, but if not down to the AHL as a priority call up if he does well there. Given his physical readiness and age (he'll start next season 20 years old) I really don't want to see him back in college.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Oilers are going to need at least 2 or 3 more Holloway to outmatch the dull personality of the Oilers

North

Jun 25, 2009
The Oilers are going to need at least 2 or 3 more Holloway to outmatch the dull personality of the Oilers

Which is why I think Holland seems to be looking for high compete guys like Holloway and Tullio. He recognizes there is an issue with the compete level on the NHL roster.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Which is why I think Holland seems to be looking for high compete guys like Holloway and Tullio. He recognizes there is an issue with the compete level on the NHL roster.
The Oilers are really lacking a Hendricks type personality on the team

DOCHockeyGuy

Jan 8, 2019
Wisconsin
Thanks for giving your opinion. The prevailing thought around here seems to be that he is a "can't miss" bottom-6 player in the NHL due to his 200 foot game, size, speed, willingness to engage, and high-tempo motor. The big knock on him is whether he has the offensive skills to play a middle-6 winger spot, and could potentially play on the 2nd line sometimes in the NHL. His counting numbers this season look encouraging, but they don't always tell the whole story. What is your opinion on whether he has enough pop to his offence to contribute on a 2nd line eventually in the show?

Last season I would've said "we'll see". You watched him and knew the tools were there but the production didn't match the eye test. It would be easy to say that the likely cause of that was not playing on as good of a team as this year but I really do believe that he's the engine that has motored this turnaround and turned the Badgers into a legit contender for a national title.

It seems like his offensive tools are finally starting to click for him. I remember watching Maxim Afinegenov play for Buffalo back in the day and wondering "how is this guy not a 90 point guy?" That's kind of how I felt watching Holloway last year. This year though, he's finishing opportunities and looks insanely comfortable in just about everything he's doing. That's especially remarkable given how much time he missed being with Team Canada.

I am certainly not a scout but it would seem to me that he's got the tools to be a really good offensive player at the next level. He reminds me a lot of Brock Nelson but with more speed and burst than Nelson ever had. Nelson is a pretty good player and I'm a believer that with that type of speed, burst and explosiveness that Holloway is currently showing, he'd be a REALLY good player.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
with Holland in charge, can’t see it being any sooner.

Holland had a reputation for letting prospects overripen because a) Detroit was always a stacked team so it was really hard for young guys to ever crack his roster and B) He never had high first rounders.

Once Detroit started sucking young guys were making his rosters.

Case in point, in 2014 they drafted Dylan Larkin 15th overall (one spot later than Holloway went). Larkin played one year of college in his draft+1 season, turned pro at the end of that first season to play in the AHL playoffs and then made the Red Wings the following season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Holland had a reputation for letting prospects overripen because a) Detroit was always a stacked team so it was really hard for young guys to ever crack his roster and B) He never had high first rounders.

Once Detroit started sucking young guys were making his rosters.

Case in point, in 2014 they drafted Dylan Larkin 15th overall (one spot later than Holloway went). Larkin played one year of college in his draft+1 season, turned pro at the end of that first season to play in the AHL playoffs and then made the Red Wings the following season.
Holland himself has said the exact same things as you are stating. A while back I postsed stats on how many games guys at various ages played for Detroit vs the Oilers over a period of time when both teams were bad. The Red Wings actually had more younger players playing central roles than the Oilers. Unfortunately, the search engine on this site is so bad I can't find the posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Llamamoto

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
can’t see him sniffing the NHL for atleast 2 years.
Looking at NCAA stats, while it's a big if that he can keep up his current pace there is no NCAA player who is under 20 who's put up a better points per game than he presently has in the past 20+ years. Notables who have done it that were semi-recent are Marty St. Louis, Brendan Morrison, & Paul Kariya. The only recent one I see that is close is Kyle Connor who finished the season with a 1.87 Pts/per game to Holloway's 1.92 Pts/per game; for reference Connor played that one season in the NCAA post draft and then went pro splitting time between the AHL/NHL next season and was a fulltime impactful regular in his 2nd season pro.

If Holloway maintains this level of domination, being fast tracked to pro is a near certainty.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Looking at NCAA stats, while it's a big if that he can keep up his current pace there is no NCAA player who is under 20 who's put up a better points per game than he presently has in the past 20+ years. Notables who have done it that were semi-recent are Marty St. Louis, Brendan Morrison, & Paul Kariya. The only recent one I see that is close is Kyle Connor who finished the season with a 1.87 Pts/per game to Holloway's 1.92 Pts/per game; for reference Connor played that one season in the NCAA post draft and then went pro splitting time between the AHL/NHL next season and was a fulltime impactful regular in his 2nd season pro.

If Holloway maintains this level of domination, being fast tracked to pro is a near certainty.

He very likely won't maintain this torrid pace, but yes, even if he falls off his current pace a bit, but is still north of 1 PPG, I'd be a little surprised to see him back in the NCAA. Say for instance that he finished around 1.2 PPG, that would still be a *fantastic* season, and I'm not sure that going back to the NCAA for another year would be the best for him. The difference with Holloway is that he already has a "man's body" more or less, as he is a pretty big kid. His size and skating are already "pro-ready". Lots of the guys you leave in the NCAA for 2+ years are kept down there to allow them to gain size and strength. Cole Caufield on his own team is a great example of that in fact, and there are lots of other examples in recent history.

Holloway will never have the scoring touch of Connor (Connor almost had 1 GPG in his draft+1 in the NCAA! crazy), but man o man, it would be nice to have Holloway turn into a comparable player overall. Holloway is a bigger man (already has 20 pounds on Connor) and is significantly faster than Connor as well. But as I said, doesn't have the scoring ability.

Reactions: Biltmore

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He very likely won't maintain this torrid pace, but yes, even if he falls off his current pace a bit, but is still north of 1 PPG, I'd be a little surprised to see him back in the NCAA. Say for instance that he finished around 1.2 PPG, that would still be a *fantastic* season, and I'm not sure that going back to the NCAA for another year would be the best for him. The difference with Holloway is that he already has a "man's body" more or less, as he is a pretty big kid. His size and skating are already "pro-ready". Lots of the guys you leave in the NCAA for 2+ years are kept down there to allow them to gain size and strength. Cole Caufield on his own team is a great example of that in fact, and there are lots of other examples in recent history.

Holloway will never have the scoring touch of Connor (Connor almost had 1 GPG in his draft+1 in the NCAA! crazy), but man o man, it would be nice to have Holloway turn into a comparable player overall. Holloway is a bigger man (already has 20 pounds on Connor) and is significantly faster than Connor as well. But as I said, doesn't have the scoring ability.
You think Holloway is faster than Kyle Connor? I don’t know about that. Connor can fly. I’m still not sold Holloway has that much offensive upside even with his recent performance. Connor was just a natural goal scorer as is Caufeild. I’m happy to see Holloway doing his thing though. I don’t think we really need him to be a huge scorer it’s more the mix of forechecking, battling with a enough skill to play that I’m looking forward to. I’m curious if he stays in college one more year or goes pro.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
You think Holloway is faster than Kyle Connor? I don’t know about that. Connor can fly. I’m still not sold Holloway has that much offensive upside even with his recent performance. Connor was just a natural goal scorer as is Caufeild. I’m happy to see Holloway doing his thing though. I don’t think we really need him to be a huge scorer it’s more the mix of forechecking, battling with a enough skill to play that I’m looking forward to. I’m curious if he stays in college one more year or goes pro.

I think he has an edge in skating yeah, Holloway is something else for speed. I could be wrong though. Agreed on the scoring though, he doesn't have Connor's mitts from what I have seen so far. I don't think Holloway needs to put up big points though, nor do I think he probably CAN put up big points in the NHL. I still see him as a 3rd line player to be honest, with maybe enough punch to play in your top-6 during a injury-pinch.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think he has an edge in skating yeah, Holloway is something else for speed. I could be wrong though. Agreed on the scoring though, he doesn't have Connor's mitts from what I have seen so far. I don't think Holloway needs to put up big points though, nor do I think he probably CAN put up big points in the NHL. I still see him as a 3rd line player to be honest, with maybe enough punch to play in your top-6 during a injury-pinch.
Yeah I kind of see him turning into either a 3rd wheel complimentary guy on a top 6 line or a 3rd line driver. Either one helps this squad immensely.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

You might very well be right but this just baffles me. He's sitting at 1.96 PPG. That's unsustainable imo. Still, finishing at around 1.50 PPG seems very realistic and would be very impressive for a 19 year old.

He clearly has some offensive talent. What makes you think he can't play a role in the top 6? Clearly the coach of team Canada identified Holloway's strengths if he decided it'd be best to throw him on the top line.

My main point is that he might not be capable of this now, but his production suggests that he can develop into a quality top 6 forward.

Will he be the main driver of offense? Potentially not but does he need to be? You need guys like him to win. People with high compete who win battles, create space for teammates, don't shy away from the dirty areas, etc. Bonus is that he has so many good qualities about his all around game.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not sure about Kyle Connor as a comparable. I think a speedy Jamie Benn. Both can play wing and center

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I still have tempered expectations about Holloway, and what he's going to produce at the NHL level.
2 years ago, the USNDT filled out the top of the 1st round due to some gaudy numbers they were able to put up. but I still don't think that team should have had THAT many picks in the 1st round.

It reminded me too much of the London Knights with Schremp, Gagner, Perry, Kane.
There were a couple of bona-fide stars, and a couple of guys who benefit from playing with a greater talent.

The Lemieux-esque numbers are easy to put up with fellow 1st round draftee Caufield.
Then you can see a passenger like Weissbach flanking the other wing for easy points.

I personally don't think Caufield is a great prospect, (I have doubts he makes an impact in the NHL on a team that already has Suzuki), but he just works well with Holloway.

Hopefully Holloway ends up being a fantastic player for us, but I wouldn't put too much stock into him racking up these points.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I still have tempered expectations about Holloway, and what he's going to produce at the NHL level.
2 years ago, the USNDT filled out the top of the 1st round due to some gaudy numbers they were able to put up. but I still don't think that team should have had THAT many picks in the 1st round.

It reminded me too much of the London Knights with Schremp, Gagner, Perry, Kane.
There were a couple of bona-fide stars, and a couple of guys who benefit from playing with a greater talent.

The Lemieux-esque numbers are easy to put up with fellow 1st round draftee Caufield.
Then you can see a passenger like Weissbach flanking the other wing for easy points.

I personally don't think Caufield is a great prospect, (I have doubts he makes an impact in the NHL on a team that already has Suzuki), but he just works well with Holloway.

Hopefully Holloway ends up being a fantastic player for us, but I wouldn't put too much stock into him racking up these points.

My understanding is that Holloway doesn't play much with Cole Caufield at even strength, mainly together on the 1st power play unit.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
My understanding is that Holloway doesn't play much with Cole Caufield at even strength, mainly together on the 1st power play unit.

I thought that was last year when Turcotte was 1C.

I haven't seen any Wisconsin games this year, just the highlights.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
No, all the whisky people are saying they play on separate lines at ES

Cheers to that!

whisky2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad