Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Conference Finals Edition

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Should NJ trade up to get Askarov?
No way am I using pick 7 to draft him but, i would look at taking a cap dump to upgrade pick 18 or pick 20 to be in a position to draft him.

We probably need to jump ahead of Carolina and hope the likes of Detroit, Ottawa and Minnesota dont draft him.

Therefore we need to do a deal with Florida or Nashville.
Both of them arent in cap trouble but do have a couple of ugly contracts they would ideally like to get rid of.

Pick 12 + Matheson for Pick 20?

I would do that deal because I dont think Matheson is a complete lost cause. He is only age 26. On our D he would comfortable make the team ahead of Mirco Mueller.
However 6 years left on his contract is a long f***ing time.

Pick 11 + Turris + NJ 2nd Round pick for Pick 20?
This one is a bit harder for me because Turris is much older, salary is more than Matheson and doesnt fit our age profile. He is clearly declining offensively and its tough to see how we can slot Turris in the lineup. I would want to also get our 2nd round pick back from Subban trade.

Yikes. That’s aggressive. The Matheson deal is the only I’d consider, and even that is a long shot. It’s a long deal, but the cap hit is only $4.5 million. That said, he’s actually owed $32 million in the next 6 years, so cash comp is more. Perhaps the salary piece makes Florida more interested in dealing him?

I think the only way to do the Matheson deal is if you think he can be a legit bottom 4 d man on a cup caliber team in 3-4 years. I know Matheson was highly regarded at one time and I don’t really know why he fell out of favor in Florida. I’m willing to listen if someone more knowledge says Matheson still has potential.

If this deal is really just about the pick, then it’s a hard pass. I’d rather find a way to trade for Dunn or just sign Dillon. I think we need to be using cap space to get better now, not just stockpile futures.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
No way am I using pick 7 to draft him but, i would look at taking a cap dump to upgrade pick 18 or pick 20 to be in a position to draft him.

We probably need to jump ahead of Carolina and hope the likes of Detroit, Ottawa and Minnesota dont draft him.

Both of them arent in cap trouble but do have a couple of ugly contracts they would ideally like to get rid of.

I would do that deal because I dont think Matheson is a complete lost cause. He is only age 26. On our D he would comfortable make the team ahead of Mirco Mueller.

This one is a bit harder for me because Turris is much older, salary is more than Matheson and doesnt fit our age profile. He is clearly declining offensively and its tough to see how we can slot Turris in the lineup. I would want to also get our 2nd round pick back from Subban trade.

Realize that the Wings traded #16OA plus 1 year of Datsyuk for #20, #53 and Joe Vitale at $2 million. And that was not in a flat cap world. I know you’re getting us up 8 spots vs 4 and the Devils aren’t giving up a 2nd round pick, but is that worth 5 more years of contract?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

nope.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I think I've finalized my "preferences" for the 7th pick. I'm obviously taking into account realistic players that will be available.

1. Drysdale
2. Sanderson
3. Rossi
4. Jarvis

We're guaranteed to get one of them. But I will say I do not see Sanderson being available for us. I just don't see him getting past Anaheim AND Detroit.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Lucas Raymond with a goal in Frolunda's season opener. He's my number 1 choice at #7, if he makes it that far. Kid's not just a playmaker.. he's got a filthy shot on him, too.

Agreed on how terrific Lucas Raymond. As I've said a bunch, I think it is quite probable that Raymond will be available at #7 overall -- if Detroit does not take him at #4 (and I personally think it's a stretch that they take Raymond here), the #5 & #6 belong to Ottawa and Anaheim who always, always draft with size as a priority. The last time Anaheim used their top pick on a player under 6'0 tall was 5'11 Kyle Palmieri in 2011; the last time Ottawa did so was 5'11 Patrick Eaves in 2003.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

You don't take that Matheson deal unless you're getting the #12 pick and not giving up anything else. I'd say a reasonable deal would be:

NJ gets:
#12 pick
Matheson

FLA gets:
NJ 7th round pick

With Turris, my deal would be something similar. These are terrible, terrible contracts and the salary cap might not go up for three or four years.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Turris’ deal has 4 years/6m left and he’s 31. The 11oa is in no way remotely enough to make it worthwhile to take that on. I want better players on this team, particularly in 3-4 years.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Lucas Raymond with a goal in Frolunda's season opener. He's my number 1 choice at #7, if he makes it that far. Kid's not just a playmaker.. he's got a filthy shot on him, too.

He's got a little Bratt to him in that regard because he does have a better shot then people think / know, but he doesn't always use it as much as he should

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Still down with Sanderson at 7. Fans always underrate Americans because they don't have the sexy junior stats, Werenski wasn't a sexy pick either. Not saying Sanderson has his offensive upside but you don't get players like this unless you draft them.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

I wonder if this offseason will lead to teams scouting defenseman by video more. Good defenseman need to do so many little things I think they’re harder to appreciate in small samples when compared to forwards.

Video let’s you get that volume to see a players gap control is great and stick positioning is on point. Volume let’s you appreciate the guys doing the little things to win instead of only the guys making an end to end rush 3-4 times a game.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Still down with Sanderson at 7. Fans always underrate Americans because they don't have the sexy junior stats, Werenski wasn't a sexy pick either. Not saying Sanderson has his offensive upside but you don't get players like this unless you draft them.

I've been saying this a lot lately, but I remain firmly convinced that outside of the "Big 3" of Lafreniere/Byfield/Stutzle, Sanderson has the least chance of being around at #7. He's just too good, and too in line with organizational needs for all three teams drafting between #4 and #6.

Though I think Sanderson was underrated going into 2020, I would not say he is anymore. Multiple reputable draft writers and scouting services have him as the top rated defenseman in the 2020 draft.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I wonder if this offseason will lead to teams scouting defenseman by video more. Good defenseman need to do so many little things I think they’re harder to appreciate in small samples when compared to forwards.

Video let’s you get that volume to see a players gap control is great and stick positioning is on point. Volume let’s you appreciate the guys doing the little things to win instead of only the guys making an end to end rush 3-4 times a game.

Cam Robinson is a great dude, I can't say it enough. Also, a great draft writer. Also, he's late to the party -- I moved Sanderson up to the #5 overall slot in my final draft rankings last week.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I would be very x99999 surprised if Sanderson was available at #7. There's 2 teams who desperately need him and it wouldn't even be a reach, ahead of us.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
if one of Raymond or Rossi are there I'd be fine with either as they are my fav options for this pick if somehow they make it there. If neither are there then at least one of Drysdale/Perfetti/Holtz should be so one of them.

At least this is less than 2 weeks away, been an eternity without some news on player movement for the Devils

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
7. Lucas Raymond, LW, Frolunda (Sweden)
18. Connor Zary, C, Kamloops (WHL)
20. Kaiden Guhle, D, Prince Albert (WHL)

It's pretty hard to walk out of Round 1 feeling anything but good when you have three first-rounders. The Devils have plenty of needs throughout their system, even though Tom Fitzgerald has done a nice job of rebuilding the farm so far with trades.
There's no guarantee Raymond will be available at No. 7, but it's not out of the realm of possibility and would give the Devils an elite-level offensive talent with a game that is still developing. Zary looks like he'll be a quality long-term middle-six forward who brings a good dose of skill and vision, while Guhle is an incredible skater with physicality and just enough offensive pop from the back end.

ESPN's "perfect mock"

I think that's a little early for Zary as I'm not a huge fan, and truthfully have no interest whatsoever in Guhle for us specifically, even though I think the value is about right for him there.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
ESPN's "perfect mock"

I think that's a little early for Zary as I'm not a huge fan, and truthfully have no interest whatsoever in Guhle for us specifically, even though I think the value is about right for him there.
if one of the two later picks was Reichel that draft would be pretty awesome for me. getting Raymond at #7 is a home run tho. I think Mavrik Bourque would be a nice option there too. I think some people would be angry at drafting three forwards but if that's what happens I'd be fine with it. Don't have to force something early in the draft

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00