Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Conference Finals Edition

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
New poster here been watching these discussions for a while and thought I’d join in

my list of who I’d want at 7 in order:
Raymond
Sanderson
Holtz
Quinn

I’d be okay with Perfetti but I’m not a fan of Rossi and I think it’s way to high for Jarvis
Welcome... And... No Drysdale? Or are you presuming he goes earlier?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Just don’t see him becoming a top nhl player. I feel like he’s just further along in his development than most of the other players. What I’ve watched he seems to have very good hockey sense, puck skills and edgework but he almost looks slowish and not quick enough at times for such a small player in the ohl. Don’t feel like that will translate well to the significantly faster nhl.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Just don’t see him becoming a top nhl player. I feel like he’s just further along in his development than most of the other players. What I’ve watched he seems to have very good hockey sense, puck skills and edgework but he almost looks slowish and not quick enough at times for such a small player in the ohl. Don’t feel like that will translate well to the significantly faster nhl.

Welcome to the board. Please report to Bleedred for your #1 Cory Schneider Fan tattoo and then take right at the end of the hall and go into the Ben “Hattrick” Lovejoy Memorial Lounge for your orientation. There you will be issued your “It’s Lou’s Fault No It Isn’t Yes It Is Shut Up Who Asked You Anyway” shirt and your “Ownership Sucks But At Least They Aren’t Melnyk” pants and then you can join the group at large. Underwear and socks are largely up to you but be advised if any of that ever has a NYR logo on it you will be summarily stripped of your membership and sent to the DD re-education camp in Raleigh.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Welcome to the board. Please report to Bleedred for your #1 Cory Schneider Fan tattoo and then take right at the end of the hall and go into the Ben “Hattrick” Lovejoy Memorial Lounge for your orientation. There you will be issued your “It’s Lou’s Fault No It Isn’t Yes It Is Shut Up Who Asked You Anyway” shirt and your “Ownership Sucks But At Least They Aren’t Melnyk” pants and then you can join the group at large. Underwear and socks are largely up to you but be advised if any of that ever has a NYR logo on it you will be summarily stripped of your membership and sent to the DD re-education camp in Raleigh.
You...

That...

It....

Umm... Yeah.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Sounds like canes fans don't believe they are going askarov based on some of the talk from the team

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Sounds like canes fans don't believe they are going askarov based on some of the talk from the team
I wouldn't doubt it. The Canes seem to always be dillusional about their goaltending. As good as their defenseman scouting is, their goalie scouting (both pro and amateur) seems to suck donkey balls.

Reactions: Guadana and Forge

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I actually believe that, they drafted a Russian goalie 36OA just last year and while other people may not be high on him presumably they are.

edit: They got the 2nd from Buffalo in the Skinner trade.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Most people know how I feel about Raymond, so that's a home run for me, but I don't like either of the other two. One of those picks needs to be Gunler or Perreault, for starters. I really need one of those to be shoot for the moon, top line potential guys.

Perreault is the big wild card here. Like I keep saying, his combination of shot/skates/vision blows all the other RWs in the draft away. He's also the youngest out of the RWs getting first-round consideration. There's more risk in Perreault reaching his upside than most top 20 picks, but I can say with conviction that in terms of sheer potential, he's pretty rare.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
if one of the two later picks was Reichel that draft would be pretty awesome for me. getting Raymond at #7 is a home run tho. I think Mavrik Bourque would be a nice option there too. I think some people would be angry at drafting three forwards but if that's what happens I'd be fine with it. Don't have to force something early in the draft

I agree that -- if Drysdale and Sanderson are gone at #7 -- the Devils should certainly draft 3 forwards. The 2020 draft is so rich with high-upside scoring wingers and so anemic with defenseman. You've just got to draft the best players at #18 and #20, and there's virtually no chance that defenders will fit that description this year. I mean, Kaiden Guhle is a heck of a player, but could the Devils really justify taking him over a potential star forward like Amirov or Mercer?

I'm going to disagree with you on Bourque. I love his scoring and vision, but his mediocrity in terms of skating, two-way play and physicality dropped him into my second round -- I ranked him #32. He just does not have the upside of some of the RWs likely to be available at #18 and #20, notably Perreault and Gunler. And if Perreault and Gunler are too risky for you, then it's also important to note that Bourque is not as safe a pick as a RW like Wiesblatt or Evangelista.

And again, I would like to ease your mind the best I can on Raymond being available at #7. The chances of Anaheim or Ottawa drafting a 160-pound forward in the top 10 is very, very slim. If Raymond were head-and-shoulders above the other players in the top 10 in terms of talent I'd say okay maybe... but he's not.

I'd say the most likely Devils #7 overall picks are Raymond or Rossi, and I'd put Raymond at the top of the list because Rossi is much more solidly built and gritty than Raymond, which is something Anaheim and Ottawa will certainly demand in a smaller player. And let's not forget that Rossi is also a dynamic offensive talent who also happens to be the best two-way center in the entire draft.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Perreault is the big wild card here. Like I keep saying, his combination of shot/skates/vision blows all the other RWs in the draft away. He's also the youngest out of the RWs getting first-round consideration. There's more risk in Perreault reaching his upside than most top 20 picks, but I can say with conviction that in terms of sheer potential, he's pretty rare.

Based on your description he seems like the easy choice at 18 if he's there assuming someone significant doesn't fall. He sounds like a great fit next to Nico who can probably bring the effort and compete out in Perreault at some point (obvious speculation on my part but Nico seems like a lead by example type who will also make the game easier for a Perreault type). I'd prefer a bit bigger guy with more compete as a winger for Jack at 20, not sure who make the most sense there.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Based on your description he seems like the easy choice at 18 if he's there assuming someone significant doesn't fall. He sounds like a great fit next to Nico who can probably bring the effort and compete out in Perreault at some point (obvious speculation on my part but Nico seems like a lead by example type who will also make the game easier for a Perreault type). I'd prefer a bit bigger guy with more compete as a winger for Jack at 20, not sure who make the most sense there.

If the Devils just had one pick in the first round, and that pick were #18, I'd say the Devils should take a pass on a player like Perreault. Because the risk is real.

However, the Devils will be getting a future star at #7. They'll be getting two more first-round picks at 18 & 20. Why not shoot for the moon with one of them? You're talking about a 6'0-200 winger with a shot that compares to Holtz and Quinn and a skating/vision combination to rival Stutzle and Raymond.

Again, I'd also really like Gunler in this situation. Though Gunler can't skate and pass with Perreault, his shot his comparable and I'd call his major flaw the fact that he's often "mercurial", which is not as bad as Perreault's often being plain lazy. With Gunler I'd say it's more zen, he either feels it on the ice or he doesn't. I heard he's a really smart kid, and maybe he's just sensitive, too. I worry a bit with Perreault because he grew up with an NHL father and very well off and has all the talent in the world. If I were the Devils, I'd really be interviewing him a lot before deciding to pull that trigger. But if Perreault aced the personality check? He'd be my pick at #18, for sure.

Reactions: My3Sons

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I agree that -- if Drysdale and Sanderson are gone at #7 -- the Devils should certainly draft 3 forwards. The 2020 draft is so rich with high-upside scoring wingers and so anemic with defenseman. You've just got to draft the best players at #18 and #20, and there's virtually no chance that defenders will fit that description this year. I mean, Kaiden Guhle is a heck of a player, but could the Devils really justify taking him over a potential star forward like Amirov or Mercer?

I'm going to disagree with you on Bourque. I love his scoring and vision, but his mediocrity in terms of skating, two-way play and physicality dropped him into my second round -- I ranked him #32. He just does not have the upside of some of the RWs likely to be available at #18 and #20, notably Perreault and Gunler. And if Perreault and Gunler are too risky for you, then it's also important to note that Bourque is not as safe a pick as a RW like Wiesblatt or Evangelista.

And again, I would like to ease your mind the best I can on Raymond being available at #7. The chances of Anaheim or Ottawa drafting a 160-pound forward in the top 10 is very, very slim. If Raymond were head-and-shoulders above the other players in the top 10 in terms of talent I'd say okay maybe... but he's not.

I'd say the most likely Devils #7 overall picks are Raymond or Rossi, and I'd put Raymond at the top of the list because Rossi is much more solidly built and gritty than Raymond, which is something Anaheim and Ottawa will certainly demand in a smaller player. And let's not forget that Rossi is also a dynamic offensive talent who also happens to be the best two-way center in the entire draft.
I'm fine with guys like Gunler with one of the latter first round picks -- I don't mind the risk. The reason I brought up Bourque is he led his team in both goals per game and assists per game. On top of that the only guys who had more even strength primary points per game in the CHL than him are Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi, Perfetti, and Jarvis. I don't think he's that small either -- almost 6' and already 185 pounds. So I fully admit I'm stat watching there but his skills seem top notch as well -- so I think there's a bit of upside with him. Not saying the Devils have to pick him because there's a lot of guys they could pick in that area but it's an option that I wouldn't really be against.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
As far as Jacob Perreault goes, I just want to repeat again that his talent is not just "first-round caliber". It's downright sick. He's also one of the younger RWs in the draft, with a mid-April 2002 birthday. It's a big if, but if he puts it all together, he can the best right winger in the 2020 draft a decade down the line. I hate highlight videos, but this gives you all at least some idea of his ridiculous shooting, skating and passing talents.

My3Sons

Sponsor
As far as Jacob Perreault goes, I just want to repeat again that his talent is not just "first-round caliber". It's downright sick. He's also one of the younger RWs in the draft, with a mid-April 2002 birthday. It's a big if, but if he puts it all together, he can the best right winger in the 2020 draft a decade down the line. I hate highlight videos, but this gives you all at least some idea of his ridiculous shooting, skating and passing talents.

Under Shero NJ was definitely going with the family friendly vibe (I recall the quote where Shero said he'd told Nico's parents the team would take care of their son). I think with any kid with an NHL dad you almost have to take that approach. I think that a kid like Perreault probably needs a support system that positively reinforces the effort and encourages it even at the expense of failure rather than the traditional route of just kicking a kid in the pants and benching him. As they mature you can work in the hard game required in the playoffs but you have to start by just bringing out the best the player has to offer in an environment where they are supported and feel secure. Some kids need more time to mature and may not be ready for an NHL gig until 22 or 23. That's ok. Maybe that's a Perreault.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm fine with guys like Gunler with one of the latter first round picks -- I don't mind the risk. The reason I brought up Bourque is he led his team in both goals per game and assists per game. On top of that the only guys who had more even strength primary points per game in the CHL than him are Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi, Perfetti, and Jarvis. I don't think he's that small either -- almost 6' and already 185 pounds. So I fully admit I'm stat watching there but his skills seem top notch as well -- so I think there's a bit of upside with him. Not saying the Devils have to pick him because there's a lot of guys they could pick in that area but it's an option that I wouldn't really be against.

I'm with you on Bourque's offensive skill set. His shot is elite, while his hands and passing are both excellent. He is certainly a dual-threat forward, you can't just sit on his shot like with some CHL scorers. I would absolutely disagree on his being 6'0, unless he was measured in his skates.

I like Mavrik Bourque a bunch. In most drafts, he would be a slam dunk for the first round. But the 2020 class is just so loaded with scoring RWs. To me, Bourque is a "tweener" in the sense that he has very good offensive upside, it's just not off-the-charts like a Perreault or Gunler. And while he is safer than that pair, he is not so safe as a Wiesblatt or Evangelista.

Mavrik Bourque certainly has 30-30-60 upside at the NHL level in my eyes. But if he does not reach this upside, this is a player who will have a tough time surviving in a middle six role at the NHL level. This is not a player who skates particularly well, or likes to play physically, or matches his offensive effort in the defensive zone. While players like Wiesblatt and Evangelista lack Bourque's outstanding shot, they have at least comparable offensive upside and outstanding 200-foot game -- these are a air of players who will make the NHL no matter what. And again, while Perreault and Gunler have even more risk than Bourque, their upside is far higher.

With the Devils loaded with depth forwards and desperately needing high-end scoring forwards to compliment Hischier and Hughes, I have been pushing for higher-upside forwards at #18 & #20. As much as I love Wiesblatt and Evangelista and as much as I like Bourque, I'm still not willing to pass up on a potential gamebreaker like Perreault or Gunler for any of those very good, but ultimately complimentary players.

Reactions: Guadana

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Canes Corner Podcast with Adam Gold :: WRALSportsFan.com

Looks like it's derived from this interview with their owner. To paraphrase, he reiterates to the host about an organizational philosophy to use a high pick on a forward rather than defenseman/goalie but also says that they're no absolutes. Also mentions that they'd like to add a goal scorer.

Reactions: Forge

ASK7

Aug 11, 2020
As we get closer to the draft, we are starting to hear some connections of players to organizations. If we presume that the top three picks in this draft are Lafreniere, Byfield and Stutzle, there was a report linking Detroit and Marco Rossi.

Draft Notes: Perfetti, Sanderson, Rossi

If Detroit selected Rossi, the Devils will definitely be able to select one of Drysdale, Sanderson or Raymond. It seems as though these three players are slightly above Holtz and Perfetti. And I respect the draft tendencies of Ottawa and Anaheim shared by Steven Toddives this last month - too much history with these team's draft records to dismiss it. With both teams favoring size and Anaheim having a barren prospect base on the defensive front, I think it is fair to say that Sanderson will mostly be gone by 7. The question is Ottawa - will they select two forwards with 3 and 5 or one forward and one defenseman. If Ottawa selected Drysdale, he would replace some of the things they lost in Erik Karlsson. With that said, I do believe the Devils will have a choice of Raymond or Drysdale at 7.

The Devils are understandably going to be linked to every Ottawa 67 player such as Rossi and Quinn. And since they had a number of their drafted players on that team, the Devils should have real good intel on Rossi and Quinn. It would be hard for the Devils to pass on Rossi if he was available at 7 because of the obvious bias that must have developed with watching Ottawa so much. As for the information disclosed yesterday about the Devils speaking several times with Quinn, I cannot see the Devils selecting him at 7 - that would be a Dave Gettleman move and not truly understanding the value of a draft pick. However, it makes total sense for the Devils to do their due diligence on all players they are interested in and especially Quinn. Although it is hard to see Quinn falling to 18/20, the Devils can possibly move up with one of these picks to the 10 to 15 range to select Quinn if they really want him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad