Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Conference Finals Edition

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2020 NHL MOCK DRAFT 9/5/20

There might be some picks seen as shockers here, but I'm not doing it for attention. The fact is that every year the actual draft has shocking picks, and I'm trying to anticipate them. No one expected Moritz Seider at #6 overall last year, and no one expected Jesperi Kotkaniemi at #3 overall the year before. So, I don't see Lundell at #5 as the least bit unrealistic. Also, I study all the organizations and their GMs to the best of my ability. Anyway, all mock drafts are hypotheticals by nature, and here's one idea how it can all pan out.

[WRITER’S NOTE: I wanted to get this done today, before everyone else drops the next round of mock drafts. So I went ahead and assumed the Islanders would win tonight when defining my draft order. I mean, I’m rooting all the way for my man Lou Lamoriello. Not to mention Andy Greene, who wore the captaincy with class for the Devils for many, many years.]
  1. NY Rangers: LW Alex Lafreniere, Rimouski QMJHL he’s going to be the most talented forward ever drafted by the Blueshirts, plain and simple
  2. Los Angeles: C Quinton Byfield, Sudbury OHL I still think Ottawa tries to flip the 2 and 3 spots to get Byfield, but if not LA cannot pass up on the best combination of size/speed/skill at the center position in over a decade
  3. Ottawa: C/LW Tim Stutzle, Mannheim DEL a dazzling combination of elite skating, hands and vision unmatched by anyone in the class of 2020
  4. Detroit: LD Jake Sanderson, US-NTDP USHL the best two-way defenseman available in the draft in recent memory; Detroit is incredibly thin at LD and GM Yzerman knows how to build a winner
  5. Ottawa: C Anton Lundell, HIFK FIN I think Lundell goes earlier than expected, much like Finnish country-mate Kotkaniemi a few years back; Senators need center depth and Lundell is a big, two-way force who is nearly NHL ready
  6. Anaheim: RD Jamie Drysdale, Erie OHL the Ducks are organizationally bereft on the blueline; Drysdale is a dynamic offensive force who reminds of Cale Makar not long ago
  7. NEW JERSEY: C Marco Rossi, Ottawa OHL of course there are connections to several Devils prospects in Ottawa and his relationship with Nico Hischier, but Rossi is the best two-way center in the draft and his offensive skills are absolutely dynamic.
  8. Buffalo: W Lucas Raymond, Frolunda SWE the Sabres need wingers for superstar center Eichel and future superstar center Cozens, Raymond is a dazzling offensive weapon with a combo of skating/hands/vision which compares to Stutzle at the top of the 2020 class
  9. Minnesota: RW Alexander Holtz, Djurgardens SWE new GM Billy Guerin inherited a mess where the Wild need pretty much everything; they would likely prefer a center (Rossi or Lundell) fall to them, but here we have them making off with the best pure sniper in the entire 2020 draft
  10. Winnipeg: RW Jack Quinn, Ottawa OHL the Jets draft very well when they actually have not traded their picks; Quinn has the ability to score more goals than anyone else in the 2020 draft and combines that with an excellent 200-foot game
  11. Nashville: LW/C Cole Perfetti, Saginaw OHL someone’s got to fall out of the top 10, and this is no fault of Perfetti — a high character, high-IQ player with a tremendous shot and uncanny ability to slow the game down
  12. Florida: LD Kaiden Guhle, Prince Albert WHL a front office in flux makes the Panthers tough to predict, but they need D and Guhle is a big, fast hitting machine with great compete and a bomb from the point
  13. Carolina: G Yaroslav Askarov, SKA-St. Petersburg VHL the Hurricanes have needed goaltending pretty much forever, Askarov is considered the best draft-eligible at the position since Carey Price
  14. Edmonton: RW/C Seth Jarvis, Portland WHL the Oilers are on a perpetual quest to surround ultra-elite centers McDavid and Draisaitl with wingers; Jarvis compares quite well to Raymond and could be a surprise as early as the #8-#10 range
  15. Toronto: RD Helge Grans, Malmo SHL the Leafs acquiring the #15 pick from Pittsburgh has made this pick far more difficult to predict; the Leafs need defense and have a GM who does not believe that playing defense is a requirement for an NHL defenseman. Grans is huge, skilled and can fly however, making him a big risk with big potential reward
  16. Montreal: RD Braden Schneider, Brandon WHL the best shut-down RD available by a long shot, Schneider is big, mobile, smart, efficient with the puck and will be a 20+ minute stud at the NHL level
  17. Chicago: LW Rodion Amirov, Salavat Ufa KHL after spending the lion’s share of first-round picks in recent years on D, the Blackhawks are trying to rebuild a talented stable of future forwards; Amirov is incredibly skilled with silky hands and a sniping shot, while also a 200-foot competitor.
  18. NEW JERSEY: RW/C Dawson Mercer, Chicoutimi QMJHL call it wishful thinking, but it could happen. A few defensemen and Askarov go earlier than the consensus thinks, and the Devils could get a top-10 caliber, future first-line winger with the pick acquired from Arizona. Mercer’s hands are dynamic, and his game is complete. He can set it up and finish, drive a line, and play a physical 200-foot game. If he can improve his skating a little more, this kid has superstar potential.
  19. Calgary: RW Jacob Perreault, Sarnia OHL when I say this kid’s talent level is better than any wing in the 2020 draft not named Lafreniere, I’m not exaggerating. His shot, skating and vision combination is better than any winger in the draft at all, even Lafreniere. He’s young and needs to up his 200-foot game and compete level, but there’s just no denying his upside.
  20. NEW JERSEY: RW Noel Gunler, Lulea SWE when you have three picks in the top-20 of a forward-heavy draft and your top organizational need is high-end talent? Well, shoot for the moon. Gunler is every bit as talented as fellow Swedish RW Holtz — his shot is not Holtz's superpower, but it’s an elite skill, and his skating is outstanding. Like Perreault, there have been questions about Gunler’s compete level and 200-foot game, but he’s a smart kid and his talent ceiling is astronomical.
  21. Columbus: LW/C Dylan Holloway, University of Wisconsin NCAA no player screams “Tortorella” more than Holloway, a big, fast power forward with the requisite skill to play with top scorers. Lacks the high ceiling of some first round forwards, but has a high floor as a middle-6 beast.
  22. NY Rangers: C Marat Khusnutdinov, SKA-St. Petersburg MHL the Rangers need a center, and traditionally defer early to their Swedish and Russian scouts. Khusnutdinov may be small, but he combines his dynamic offensive game with a high compete level and relentless defensive effort.
  23. Washington: C Connor Zary, Kamloops WHL might be a bit lower than Zary is projected, but his offensive ability is more middle-6 than top-6. However, he’s a smart and polished two-way pivot with very low risk and the ability to put up 50-60 point seasons at the NHL level.
  24. Colorado: LW JJ Peterka, EHC Munchen DEL what a year for Germany, who could have as many as 3 first-round picks. Peterka has sick hands and dynamic offensive skills, he’s also incredibly smart and great at anticipating the puck, especially in the offensive zone.
  25. St. Louis: LD Ryan O’Rourke, Sault Ste Marie OHL fiercely competitive, shut-down LD with incredible leadership and intriguing offensive skills, nothing not to like here.
  26. Anaheim: LD Tyler Kleven, US-NTDP USHL the Ducks have a very old-school front office and they love big, physical shut-down D who can skate. That’s Kleven, who also adds a bomb from the point.
  27. Philadelphia: C Ridley Greig, Brandon WHL the Flyers scouts love kids with high compete levels, and Greig’s is absolutely ferocious. He’s also a very skilled player with no discernible weakness. There’s nothing this kid will not do to win, and he’s one of the most likable players in the entire draft class.
  28. Ottawa: RD Justin Barron, Halifax QMJHL if Ottawa goes forward with their two top-5 picks, there is little doubt they fortify their blueline with the pick acquired from the Islanders. Barron has all the requisite size, speed and skill to be a very good mid-pairing NHL defenseman, but an injury and inconsistency plagued draft-eligible season has dropped his standing somewhat
  29. Dallas: C/LW Jan Mysak, Hamilton OHL I really love this young, Czech sniper and think he should go even higher. The kid really knows how to score and when he’s on his game can absolutely dominate, he just needs to smooth out his skating stride, especially in terms of acceleration, and improve his consistency. The sky is the limit.
  30. Vegas: LD Yan Kuznetsov, University of Connecticut NCAA big, physical shut-down defensemen are always always valued more by NHL front offices than by draft writers, so I don’t think this pick is the shocker some will make it out to be. Kuznetsov really impressed as a 17 year old playing a power game against young men in the NCAA, while still learning the language and culture. A very high floor, this kid is an NHL-er all the way.
  31. San Jose: RW Mavrik Bourque, Shawinigan QMJHL there’s no doubt this kid can score, but his need for improvements in the surrounding aspects of his game could drop him to the bottom of the first round. The Sharks are desperate for pure scorers in their system, and Bourque has a dizzying array of shots which can beat a netminder clean from virtually anywhere in the offensive zone.
  32. Detroit: C Hendrix Lapierre, Chicoutimi QMJHL just for fun — and because a couple of my good buddies are big Wings fans — I’ll add the first pick in the second round. Lapierre could rightly be called the wild card of the draft — his passing and vision could be second-best in the entire draft after Alex Lafreniere. But a litany of serious injuries, concussions and a neck injury, make his draft position very difficult to speculate. Could wind up being that second-round pick who scores 90+ points in the NHL and you wonder how you passed on him. Also, could be that “what if” player who spends more time in the training room than on the ice. I’m rooting for this dynamic talent all the way.
I'd love to hear your comments, criticisms and Devils wishlists. The Devils are locked in with a trio of top-20 picks, so let's talk draft!

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
My idea of who the General managers will choose is very much the same as your vision. I come to the conclusion that Lundell could be taken by Ottawa or Anaheim if Sanderson is taken by Yzerman. And I think he will do it. I am absolutely sure that the Devils will take Rossi if there are no available defensmen. I am a big antifan of Perfetti, and it seems to me that General managers may not like him for the same reasons, and that he is for me the main candidate to be out from the top 10. I agree that Dubas should create a delusional move, I think he will take Wallinder. I agree that the Devils may try to take one Swede. Devils have taken many the Swedes in the first two rounds in recent years, and Gunler may well be available. I am sure that the Rangers will take Marat because they need a center, and he is also from the SKA system. The most noticeable thing I would note is that I don't think Washington will pass Peterka in such circumstances.
And as always - thank you for your work, thank you for the content.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
My idea of who the General managers will choose is very much the same as your vision. I come to the conclusion that Lundell could be taken by Ottawa or Anaheim if Sanderson is taken by Yzerman. And I think he will do it. I am absolutely sure that the Devils will take Rossi if there are no available defensmen. I am a big antifan of Perfetti, and it seems to me that General managers may not like him for the same reasons, and that he is for me the main candidate to be out from the top 10. I agree that Dubas should create a delusional move, I think he will take Wallinder. I agree that the Devils may try to take one Swede. Devils have taken many the Swedes in the first two rounds in recent years, and Gunler may well be available. I am sure that the Rangers will take Marat because they need a center, and he is also from the SKA system. The most noticeable thing I would note is that I don't think Washington will pass Peterka in such circumstances.
And as always - thank you for your work, thank you for the content.

It certainly seems as if we agree on most everything.

I am actually a fan of Perfetti, but I think he's the most likely to fall out of the consensus top 10.

Here's why the Leafs won't take Wallinder but will take Grans: their scouting is extremely dependent on statistical analysis. Grans was very good playing against smaller and slower players, he has the requisite skill to put up numbers even though his defensive blunders and lack of compete are sometimes baffling. Wallinder just was not good at any level this year. He was barely above average in Swedish Juniors offensively while a liability defensively. He was brought up mid-season to Allsvenskan and actually (remarkably) played better there. He simplified his game to be at least passable defensively, but it came at the cost of any discernible offensive output. If the Leafs go with a surprise LD at #15, I'd say the likely candidate would be Jeremie Poirier.

I thought very long and hard on that Rangers pick, but Khusnutdinov just made sense to me for the reasons you mentioned and also he's just extremely talented.

I'd love to hear your reasoning on why Colorado won't take Peterka. I think they certainly go with a forward, but it's certainly up for discussion which one they would focus in on at the #24 pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Here's why the Leafs won't take Wallinder but will take Grans: their scouting is extremely dependent on statistical analysis. Grans was very good playing against smaller and slower players, he has the requisite skill to put up numbers even though his defensive blunders and lack of compete are sometimes baffling. Wallinder just was not good at any level this year. He was barely above average in Swedish Juniors offensively while a liability defensively. He was brought up mid-season to Allsvenskan and actually (remarkably) played better there. He simplified his game to be at least passable defensively, but it came at the cost of any discernible offensive output. If the Leafs go with a surprise LD at #15, I'd say the likely candidate would be Jeremie Poirier.

I thought very long and hard on that Rangers pick, but Khusnutdinov just made sense to me for the reasons you mentioned and also he's just extremely talented.

I'd love to hear your reasoning on why Washington won't take Peterka. I think they certainly go with a forward, but it's certainly up for discussion which one they would focus in on at the #23 pick.

You have too solid an argument for Toronto.

Khusnutdinov is not only a talented, but also a very entertaining hockey player to watch. I think it's making a big difference for New York especially.

I think Washington will pick Peterka because they need a power forward, they need to strengthen the middle 6. Peterka can play center, can play winger, he is not the most diverse in his game, but he is a very physical player, able to run and spend extra time in the shift. He can play at a high or low tempo, depending on what the situation requires. Ovechkin and Backstrom are getting old and won't be able to spend more time on the rink, but they will remain productive players for several more seasons. And for the vacant time, Washington will need players with large energy reserve, players who make roster deeper.

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenToddIves

BxDevilsFan

Aug 15, 2020
Bronx
Great job Steve. I agree with you, Detroit takes Jake Sanderson (which will break my heart). I like that you have Lundell going 5 to Ottawa. I could see that happen. Although I personally think they draft Drysdale but who knows. At 7, the Devils will probably take Ross. 18 & 20 are a toss up for me. If the draft ended up going like your mock believe me I will be EXTREMELY HAPPY. I'm not sold on Gunler but Mercer & Rossi makes up for it.

Re: Gunler. I'm scared of him being a bust. Devils should draft more sure things although there are no sure things in the draft. I'm not sure about him but at that point in the draft, like you say shoot for the stars.

Hypothetical question what if Askarov is there at 18, do you pull the trigger on him. Thanks.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'd find it really hard to pick Rossi if Raymond is still on the board. I think he's a half notch above the next tier.

I'd actually look to trade down if it plays out as you predict. There's teams that would kill for a center like Rossi, and with Holtz, Perfetti, Quinn, and Raymond still hanging around, I'd love to use the opportunity to pick up an extra asset or two.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
  1. Philadelphia: C Ridley Greig, Brandon WHL the Flyers scouts love kids with high compete levels, and Greig’s is absolutely ferocious. He’s also a very skilled player with no discernible weakness. There’s nothing this kid will not do to win, and he’s one of the most likable players in the entire draft class.

When I went back and looked at our opponents/lines during the 2000 Cup run, there were a few names that I had zero memory. One of them was Mark Greig who played a handful of games for the Flyers that postseason. So it would be an interesting tidbit if his son ended up there.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'd find it really hard to pick Rossi if Raymond is still on the board. I think he's a half notch above the next tier.

I'd actually look to trade down if it plays out as you predict. There's teams that would kill for a center like Rossi, and with Holtz, Perfetti, Quinn, and Raymond still hanging around, I'd love to use the opportunity to pick up an extra asset or two.

Dropping down 2 spots (say Minnesota) would net you at least a second. I'm not opposed to that.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Great job Steve. I agree with you, Detroit takes Jake Sanderson (which will break my heart). I like that you have Lundell going 5 to Ottawa. I could see that happen. Although I personally think they draft Drysdale but who knows. At 7, the Devils will probably take Ross. 18 & 20 are a toss up for me. If the draft ended up going like your mock believe me I will be EXTREMELY HAPPY. I'm not sold on Gunler but Mercer & Rossi makes up for it.

Re: Gunler. I'm scared of him being a bust. Devils should draft more sure things although there are no sure things in the draft. I'm not sure about him but at that point in the draft, like you say shoot for the stars.

Hypothetical question what if Askarov is there at 18, do you pull the trigger on him. Thanks.

I fought hard on the Drysdale question for Ottawa at #5. They just never draft defensemen without size, and they have more of a need at center than on the blueline right now. I'm not saying it's impossible the Senators would take Drysdale, it's just Lundell made a lot of sense there.

The Gunler pick I gave great thought to, as well. The way I saw it, the Devils drafted the best overall player at #7 (Rossi) and again at #18 (Mercer). My choice came down to Gunler or Holloway, and I went with Gunler because neither Rossi or Mercer are what I would define as "pure goal scorers" -- more "complete players who can also score". So, I had the Devils shoot for the moon with a kid with some risk but also 40+ goal upside. Anyway, that was my logic.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I guess this will now be the centralized draft thread:

Ha, I suppose. I generally use my rankings thread to discuss specific players and sleepers, and the mock draft thread to discuss possible draft scenarios, although of course they both bleed over into each other to a good degree.

I'll be finishing up a new final draft rankings by the end of September, because why not.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'd take Raymond over both if he's there.

Well, my choice at #7 came down to Raymond vs. Rossi. The common perception is that Raymond has greater upside, but I'd say that's specific to scoring. I'd prefer an 80+ point guy who can absolutely excel whether his role is to defend, play PK minutes, play center or wing and muck it up to a 90+ point winger who has a solid 200-foot game but is mostly out there to score.

Ultimately, I think the Devils familiarity with Rossi will also play a part. Everything I have heard about Rossi's character and work ethic is exceptional. I don't think the Devils pass on him unless a defenseman is also available alongside him at #7.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
When I went back and looked at our opponents/lines during the 2000 Cup run, there were a few names that I had zero memory. One of them was Mark Greig who played a handful of games for the Flyers that postseason. So it would be an interesting tidbit if his son ended up there.

Ridley Greig is one of my favorite players in the draft. Had the Devils pick via Vancouver fell to #28, I would have focused on him a lot more here. But the kid is just a bulldog and he's got plenty of skill to boot. I think he's a very likely pick for Philadelphia.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Look, I'm a big fan of Raymond, but there's no argument I will accept that he's better than Rossi in any aspect of the game except offense, and even there it's closer than many think. Raymond is a significantly better skater -- which is saying a lot, because Rossi has become a very good skater. Raymond has better hands and vision, but these categories are extremely close. Rossi is a better shooter, but again Raymond can really score so it's certainly not too much of a separation here, either.

In terms of zone entries, it's very close. Rossi's biggest edge offensively would have to be forechecking -- he's relentless on the boards and in the corners where Raymond is notably weak. Rossi has -- and this cannot be overstated enough -- absolutely no weaknesses in his game. If you were coaching an 18 year old center, you could just give him video of any game Rossi slayed all last year and say "do that". This is not the case with Raymond, who (again) has sky high upside, but is still a work in progress.

Where Rossi also gets a big nod is in the crease. Rossi's game is like a magnet towards the opposing net, he's going to get a ton of greasy goals. Raymond likes to skate around the perimeter, using his incredible skating gifts to opening up passing lanes and shooting lanes, which he does not miss on. But a greater percentage of Raymond's points are going to come on the man advantage and from outside the circles. Rossi is just a beast everywhere.

So, again -- if the Devils take Lucas Raymond, I will be thrilled. He's sort of a Marner/Gaudreau hybrid, and he's capable of putting up video game numbers at the NHL level one day. He's going to make highlight reel plays which knock you off the couch. But in terms of what wins hockey games, I don't think you can say his upside is much more than Rossi's. Though I don't expect the near-100 point seasons for Rossi which Raymond is potentially capable of, I think you're talking about a PPG guy who can truly shine in every aspect of the game. Rossi is the type of player whose game does not diminish like some scorers in the playoffs because he adapts to any situation in order to beat you. If there's space to be pretty, he'll be pretty. But if it's a playoff battle and there's no room, he'll out-think, outwork and out-hustle you to shut you down and score that big goal.

My first big battle for my next draft ranking -- to blow the suspense -- is who's #3? Because to me, Rossi and Stutzle are very close. That's how high I am on Marco Rossi. If you want another example, last year Rossi would have been my #2 overall after only Jack Hughes. He's really that good.

Reactions: Nicomo Cosca

BxDevilsFan

Aug 15, 2020
Bronx
I fought hard on the Drysdale question for Ottawa at #5. They just never draft defensemen without size, and they have more of a need at center than on the blueline right now. I'm not saying it's impossible the Senators would take Drysdale, it's just Lundell made a lot of sense there.

The Gunler pick I gave great thought to, as well. The way I saw it, the Devils drafted the best overall player at #7 (Rossi) and again at #18 (Mercer). My choice came down to Gunler or Holloway, and I went with Gunler because neither Rossi or Mercer are what I would define as "pure goal scorers" -- more "complete players who can also score". So, I had the Devils shoot for the moon with a kid with some risk but also 40+ goal upside. Anyway, that was my logic.
What this proves Steve is this draft is really intriguing for the Devils. They have so many options. I'm just praying they don't botch this if you know what I'm saying. This draft / offseason is huge for us moving forward. We can't afford any more misses

BxDevilsFan

Aug 15, 2020
Bronx
My reasoning with Ottawa selecting Drysdale is because I believe he's the highest player on the board at 5 but you're right their draft history. I really want Sanderson because I believe his skill set is perfect to what we (NJD) need. Drysdale is number two and Rossi is #3.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
What this proves Steve is this draft is really intriguing for the Devils. They have so many options. I'm just praying they don't botch this if you know what I'm saying. This draft / offseason is huge for us moving forward. We can't afford any more misses

Oh, it's so intriguing. I can't wait!

But I do think the Devils need to come away with a big-time potential sniper with one of their trio of first-rounders. I've watched a ton of Gunler and, sure he can frustrate at times, but man does he have talent. From what I heard, he's a smart, sensitive kid who might just need a couple of veterans to take him under their wing and build up his mental game.

I would not take Noel Gunler over a more proven commodity like Seth Jarvis or Dawson Mercer. But at #20 overall? I get the risk, but he's a potential big-time NHL goal-scorer. That's worth the risk, to me.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
My reasoning with Ottawa selecting Drysdale is because I believe he's the highest player on the board at 5 but you're right their draft history. I really want Sanderson because I believe his skill set is perfect to what we (NJD) need. Drysdale is number two and Rossi is #3.

I feel you, for certain. But every team's draft board is very different. The Ottawa scouts don't care what Corey Pronman or Craig Button think. And they tend to prefer bigger defensemen who play more physically, judging on past precedent.

The last time Ottawa's first pick was under 6'0 -- at any position -- was 5'11 Patrick Eaves in 2003. I don't think they've ever taken a defenseman under 6'0 in the first round.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Okay, before I go to the park for awhile, a question for @thethinglonger -- you're the Devils and you're picking at #7, #18 and #20 with the same players available as I have in my mock draft scenario. Who do you take and why?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Look, I'm a big fan of Raymond, but there's no argument I will accept that he's better than Rossi in any aspect of the game except offense, and even there it's closer than many think. Raymond is a significantly better skater -- which is saying a lot, because Rossi has become a very good skater. Raymond has better hands and vision, but these categories are extremely close. Rossi is a better shooter, but again Raymond can really score so it's certainly not too much of a separation here, either.

In terms of zone entries, it's very close. Rossi's biggest edge offensively would have to be forechecking -- he's relentless on the boards and in the corners where Raymond is notably weak. Rossi has -- and this cannot be overstated enough -- absolutely no weaknesses in his game. If you were coaching an 18 year old center, you could just give him video of any game Rossi slayed all last year and say "do that". This is not the case with Raymond, who (again) has sky high upside, but is still a work in progress.

Where Rossi also gets a big nod is in the crease. Rossi's game is like a magnet towards the opposing net, he's going to get a ton of greasy goals. Raymond likes to skate around the perimeter, using his incredible skating gifts to opening up passing lanes and shooting lanes, which he does not miss on. But a greater percentage of Raymond's points are going to come on the man advantage and from outside the circles. Rossi is just a beast everywhere.

So, again -- if the Devils take Lucas Raymond, I will be thrilled. He's sort of a Marner/Gaudreau hybrid, and he's capable of putting up video game numbers at the NHL level one day. He's going to make highlight reel plays which knock you off the couch. But in terms of what wins hockey games, I don't think you can say his upside is much more than Rossi's. Though I don't expect the near-100 point seasons for Rossi which Raymond is potentially capable of, I think you're talking about a PPG guy who can truly shine in every aspect of the game. Rossi is the type of player whose game does not diminish like some scorers in the playoffs because he adapts to any situation in order to beat you. If there's space to be pretty, he'll be pretty. But if it's a playoff battle and there's no room, he'll out-think, outwork and out-hustle you to shut you down and score that big goal.

My first big battle for my next draft ranking -- to blow the suspense -- is who's #3? Because to me, Rossi and Stutzle are very close. That's how high I am on Marco Rossi. If you want another example, last year Rossi would have been my #2 overall after only Jack Hughes. He's really that good.
SOLD! Rossi for the 7 slot!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad