Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Conference Finals Edition

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sorry, Corey, but it doesn't look like a truth. Two centers and stay at home LD? I am not a fan of Schneider, but i see devils will prefer him, because of lack of RD. Devs have Bahl, Okhotyuk and Vukojevich who are LD stay at home defensmen,
If devs will pick Rossi, i don`t see any chance they will pick Zary after. The organization has a problem with RW, and there are definitely enough of them for the Devils in this first-round on this draft.

I won't believe this top 6 either.

I agree that Masiak's predictions are not something I'd agree with, but he's certainly leaning on the consensus rankings in his prediction process. At The Athletic, Schneider has been ranked pretty low so Masiak illogically but understandably factored that in.

I certainly agree with you that a team desperate for a goal-scoring, top-line RW in perhaps the deepest draft ever for players who fit that description with three first-round picks is extremely likely to take such a player. Little way I could imagine the Devils passing on both Perreault and Gunler at both the #18 and #20 slots.

Reactions: Guadana

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Zary happened in part because other forwards we hope will fall didn’t because Sanderson fell to Winnipeg, Carolina went G and everyone else took a forward. It’s an interesting mock because only two defensemen going before 18 seems very unlikely but it’s a strong forward draft so it may take while for teams to start grabbing them and maybe they’ll just be a run on defense late.

The pick I see as very possible, is Lapierre to Montreal if a team desperate for a center doesn’t grab him sooner. Are the Habs desperate for a center? No, but never ever underestimate the attractiveness of French Canadian talent to the Habs.

I of course agree with you. But I've said this a ton for months now -- draft writers always value defensemen, especially defensive-minded defensemen, less than NHL front offices. We can just look to last year, with Seider and Soderstom.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2020 Draft: Holtz, Lundell join Stuetzle as top International prospects

Q: There's been talk that Yaroslav Askarov is the best goaltending prospect to come along since Carey Price in 2005. He's No. 1 in NHL Central Scouting's final ranking of International goalies. What do you think of Askarov (6-3, 176)?

"I think he's a little bit overrated because, from what I understand, he's been playing really well in a couple of tournaments in North America. We saw him at the 2020 World Junior Championship, and I will say he was up-and-down and was even benched. I saw him at the Under-20 tournament in Helsinki (Finland) in November and he was good, but you can see there is something special with him. It's a little bit too much to say he's the best goalie prospect coming up in the last 10-to-15 years, but he's good. He's in a good organization in St. Petersburg and he'll be a great goaltender. He's a very loud prospect, giving orders to his skaters all the time, even on the power play."

———-

Answer is from Goran Stubb, NHL director of European Scouting. He seems a little less high on Askarov than some others.

It's important to scrutinize any critic of Askarov who uses the WJC as their primary critique of him. Yes, he had a tough tournament. Let's all move on. I also don't claim to know crap about goaltenders, but when your second-biggest critique of him is that he's "very loud", it seems like there is some significant need to reassess your scouting criteria.

Reactions: Guttersniped

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
As far is Masisak is concerned, I'm fine with Rossi at 7 over Sanderson, though I understand the preference for Sanderson and would be fine with him too. I do disagree with Zary, I would want Ftiz to take Amirov in that spot. At 20 take Gunler or Perreault.

Well, I suppose that, as much as I love reading Corey Masisak, I'd prefer you draft for the Devils.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Ottawa 67’s GM:

“He’s a phenomenal player. Phenomenal. A few teams that have picked up on it. I’m biased but I think he’s the best player in our league. It’s not often you’ve got a player on your team who is the best offensive player, the best defensive player, the best guy on faceoffs, the best guy on the power play, the best guy on the penalty kill and probably your No. 1 shootout shooter. And the thing is he doesn’t cheat, so as the game goes along, he takes over. The No. 1 thing for me is his skating — which was a concern for some people — is phenomenal. Some guys are interested in getting better, he’s obsessed. If I told him to eat a pound of sunflower seeds every day because it would help him get to the NHL, he’d be right on it. It’s only going to continue. You hear this sort of stuff about Sidney Crosby or Shea Weber when they were juniors, it’s almost like a disorder, the striving to get better. I see the same thing in Marco. Nothing’s going to stop him.”

88-C41941-DD84-4652-8-B25-F6-E95-F1125-F1.jpg

Waiting to select Marco Rossi like

Great quote. I agree wholeheartedly. From everything I have heard and read (and I'm certain so have all of you), the Devils are one of the teams "who have picked up on" how great Rossi is.

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Absolutely abysmal rankings IMO. He's being different just to be different. No rhyme or reason to how he ranked everyone.

See my above statement about Mr. Wheeler. I love reading him and have nothing but praise for his outstanding writing and comprehensive research, but his recurring biases certainly hold back his accuracy in assessing prospects.

Reactions: TheGooseIsLoose

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I of course agree with you. But I've said this a ton for months now -- draft writers always value defensemen, especially defensive-minded defensemen, less than NHL front offices. We can just look to last year, with Seider and Soderstom.
Forwards are more cool! Pew, pew, pew! (Those are goal lasers.)

Reactions: StevenToddIves

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I'm ready for three forwards in the first round.
Yes. Let's only draft forwards, as they are more predictable and develop faster. Than just turn them into something we need in the HFBoards Trade forum. You have a Marner, you don't really need. Trade him for Andrei Svechnikov and Brett Pesce. It's so easy. :sarcasm:

I agree, if Drysdale and Sanderson are gone, there might be no good options in the first round to draft a defense man. A trade back scenario would than really make sense. If you could pick a late first and a second or two early seconds for #20 or #18, I would support this.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I Dont' want to trade down from 7 whatsoever unless someone makes a Godfather offer

I am not trading down 2-3 spots to pick up an extra 2nd. Just pick your guy.
because you want rossi. you would trade up from #10 to #7 to get rossi. so obviously the counter doesn't suit you. if you have rossi in a bulk of four players available with #7 pick, trading back to #10 makes plenty of sense. rossi is only my fourth option at #7 and i would consider a trade down, if all of drysdale, sanderson and raymond are gone.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
CJs back! Oh wait, it’s not that CJ :(

To answer your question, no I wouldn’t even think twice about that ask. Those 3 1st round picks will go a long way to filling out our roster, 1 way or another instead of trading them all for 1 high end winger that wants a huge payday.
wants? you think he wants even more in the future? :scared:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
because you want rossi. you would trade up from #10 to #7 to get rossi. so obviously the counter doesn't suit you. if you have rossi in a bulk of four players available with #7 pick, trading back to #10 makes plenty of sense. rossi is only my fourth option at #7 and i would consider a trade down, if all of drysdale, sanderson and raymond are gone.

I want either DMan before Rossi

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Not sure if I'd file this under news, but Edmonton would be plausible if Askarov were to slip past Nashville/Carolina.

They have telegraphed picks in the past. I'm pretty sure everyone knew for weeks beforehand that they were taking broberg. I'm super annoyed though because I love Jarvis

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Not sure if I'd file this under news, but Edmonton would be plausible if Askarov were to slip past Nashville/Carolina.

I'm starting to think the Oilers will not have a shot at Askarov OR Jarvis at #14. I hope Jim Matheson knows their Plan C.

Jarvis and Askarov both enter the draft with as much "helium" as anyone. You can make an argument that Seth Jarvis was the best player in the entire WHL over the second half of last season, and people are starting to realize that his skill level is comparable to Stutzle or Raymond, while his compete level might be even higher. I've heard more than one person say that Askarov has been the most dominant player in the entire KHL so far this season (as an 18 year old!).

I think the 2020 draft is going to have a few surprises between #8 and #15. Once we get past Lafreniere, Byfield and Stutzle there is going to be so much variance on teams' draft boards that I think we'd all be shocked. Whereas a player like Askarov is likely a second-round rating for Anaheim, there are going to be several teams ranking him in the top 5 overall. Whereas a player like Braden Schneider is a to 10 pick for the older school teams, he probably has a second round rating for a team like Toronto who judges defensemen more statistically.

I've said before that I think Seth Jarvis would be an excellent pick for the Devils at #7 or Buffalo at #8. But I've also seen him rated as low as the early 20s, so I'm sure there's folks out there who would say my opinion is bonkers. It will sure be fun to watch, I'll tell you that much!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
They have telegraphed picks in the past. I'm pretty sure everyone knew for weeks beforehand that they were taking broberg. I'm super annoyed though because I love Jarvis

Yep, I have Jarvis ranked #8 overall, so that's how I feel.

My rankings between #7 and #11 (Raymond/Jarvis/Perfetti/Quinn/Holtz) are so close this year. To be honest, I'd be thrilled with the idea of any one of those players in a Devils jersey. But the reason I have them in that order is because I felt Raymond, Jarvis and Perfetti are more "line drivers" than Quinn and Holtz. Still, the Devils need finishers too -- and in that sense you could almost rank those five in backwards order.

Reactions: Forge

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Should NJ trade up to get Askarov?
No way am I using pick 7 to draft him but, i would look at taking a cap dump to upgrade pick 18 or pick 20 to be in a position to draft him.

We probably need to jump ahead of Carolina and hope the likes of Detroit, Ottawa and Minnesota dont draft him.

Therefore we need to do a deal with Florida or Nashville.
Both of them arent in cap trouble but do have a couple of ugly contracts they would ideally like to get rid of.

Pick 12 + Matheson for Pick 20?

I would do that deal because I dont think Matheson is a complete lost cause. He is only age 26. On our D he would comfortable make the team ahead of Mirco Mueller.
However 6 years left on his contract is a long f***ing time.

Pick 11 + Turris + NJ 2nd Round pick for Pick 20?
This one is a bit harder for me because Turris is much older, salary is more than Matheson and doesnt fit our age profile. He is clearly declining offensively and its tough to see how we can slot Turris in the lineup. I would want to also get our 2nd round pick back from Subban trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00