Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Final Mock Draft, Rounds 1 & 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I have this weird feeling that he goes the Rangers.

That would be the worst outcome possible for us. Lafrenière and Lapierre in the 1st round would be absolutely amazing for the Rangers. They’re need for a legit would be met and they’re leaving with the best player or the draft in Laffy.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The problem is, what do we do after the draft is over?

I mean, sure, we argue over who we picked for a few days, maybe gloat about someone who fell that we managed to snag, do the yearly prospect rankings. Then the waiting begins all over again, but this time we don't know for how long.

It reminds me of a show I saw on Navy SEAL training. They had to go out on a run, and the slowest bunch would be punished, but they weren't told how long the run would be.

Free agency opens 2 days later so there should be a burst of discussion then too.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
That would be the worst outcome possible for us. Lafrenière and Lapierre in the 1st round would be absolutely amazing for the Rangers. They’re need for a legit would be met and they’re leaving with the best player or the draft in Laffy.

Yes and no. The Rangers selecting Lapierre would result in the same risk/reward as any other team. I would much rather avoid cringing every time I watched a player take a shift and go up against the boards or have an approaching player getting ready to level them. Lapierre has reached those and beyond Patrick fear levels of injury and is why some teams have removed him from their boards. If the Rangers did this, they could be passing up on another 1st or 2nd line wing which could quite possibly come from this deep draft into the 20s.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I mean, lets say Quinn is #6 on the Devils board and all the guys in front of him get taken before the Devils pick at #7, thus making Quinn BPA. Would it still be a bad thing to take him if they don't have the other guys available rated as highly?
Of course, if the Devils have other guys rated higher available on their board I'd say they should take them, but if Quinn is BPA, he should be the one taken.
if quinn is bpa on the devils board at #7, they need to hire a better scouting team.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I'd say Quinn definitely deserves to be mentioned in the same group as the Raymonds and Rossis and other high end forwards of the top 10. Is there any particular reason that you think otherwise?
if rossi and especially raymond are available and the devils draft quinn i would be seriously disappointed.
my priority of the potentially available players is:
drysdale
sanderson
raymond (and raymond is only third because of need)
if those three are gone in the top six with laf, byfield and stutzle, i am open for rossi, holtz and quinn. but also for askarov. i think he has the much higher ceiling than those three.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
if quinn is bpa on the devils board at #7, they need to hire a better scouting team.

If he turns out to be a 40 goal scorer that would be a good result even if Rossi ends up as a 45 assist guy. It’s tricky and context can matter. If the two defenders and Raymond are gone by 7 I can make an argument that any other player in the draft has apparent flaws that could limit NHL success (based on what I’ve read about various prospects). That said it’s unlikely I’d see Quinn as the seventh best prospect in the draft.

Reactions: Guadana

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'd say Quinn definitely deserves to be mentioned in the same group as the Raymonds and Rossis and other high end forwards of the top 10. Is there any particular reason that you think otherwise?

There is a pretty sizable gap there for me for sure. I keep debating on putting up a top 31, but I don't want to steal STI's thunder lol

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
There is a pretty sizable gap there for me for sure. I keep debating on putting up a top 31, but I don't want to steal STI's thunder lol

Dont mean to speak for STI but based on his posting history I don’t think he would mind at all, and neither would 99% of us here as it just gives us more to read and discuss.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I feel like there's a tier just below Rossi/Raymond/Drysdale/Sanderson. For me, it would include Quinn Holtz, and Perfetti. I think Perfetti probably has the highest up-side of the group, but some of the concerns raised about him makes me think he has a higher chance to bust too.

To be honest though, I don't think I'd be upset at ANY of those picks. Maybe just a tad disappointed at worst.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Yes and no. The Rangers selecting Lapierre would result in the same risk/reward as any other team. I would much rather avoid cringing every time I watched a player take a shift and go up against the boards or have an approaching player getting ready to level them. Lapierre has reached those and beyond Patrick fear levels of injury and is why some teams have removed him from their boards. If the Rangers did this, they could be passing up on another 1st or 2nd line wing which could quite possibly come from this deep draft into the 20s.

Everyone can get concussed and Hendrix Lapierre has a couple already... but so does Crosby, Bergeron and several other players who are still playing at an elite level.

I’d rather take a risk on guy like that then someone with no work ethic or any other intangibles that will cause a prospect to struggle, actually getting a full time spot on an NHL roster.

That’s just my personal opinion, doesn’t mean I’m right, just the way I’d see it if I was a scout.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Everyone can get concussed and Hendrix Lapierre has a couple already... but so does Crosby, Bergeron and several other players who are still playing at an elite level.

I’d rather take a risk on guy like that then someone with no work ethic or any other intangibles that will cause a prospect to struggle, actually getting a full time spot on an NHL roster.

That’s just my personal opinion, doesn’t mean I’m right, just the way I’d see it if I was a scout.
Lapierre also had one of his concussion diagnoses changed to a neck fracture. That plays a bigger part than just concussions. Lapierre's not on my board at this point.

EDIT - Not necessarily a neck "fracture" but a cervical issue. That's huge for me.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Lapierre also had one of his concussion diagnoses changed to a neck fracture. That plays a bigger part than just concussions. Lapierre's not on my board at this point.

Obviously, I’m not comparing the players at all here but didn’t Sid get the same injury a couple of years ago?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Oh, I would avoid the players with a work ethic issues as well. I’m not kidding, I would much rather a team full of Coleman’s that bust their ass for every opportunity than the player who has skated by and flourished based on his talent. Talent alone won’t make you stay in the nhl and they find that out as soon as someone bigger and faster lays them out.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Yeah, I get your point but taking a kid who has top #10 talent, 10 picks later can pay off in a HUGE way.
I just have a ton of questions about the neck. Were those vertebrae out of place because of a genetic issue or a specific hit? Is strengthening the neck enough to mitigate the risk of a career ending injury? How sure are they that the concussion-like symptoms were based on the cervical issue and not actual concussions?

If, and that's a huge if, those questions have been answered in the interview process, then I would be okay with him at 18/20. If they are even remotely suspicious answers or unanswered period, he's off my board. This is where you have to trust the staff has done their due diligence to the fullest.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
And that's before I question some of the issues I have in his overall game. So there's a lot of questions about Lapierre that I have overall and, without those answers, I'm not sure I can advocate taking him with a 1st. I'll trust the FO has done their jobs if they take him but I can't, as an outsider, say comfortably that I'd take him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If he’s still there at #20, you have to take him. With our 3rd pick of the first round, we can be walking away with a homerun selection in Hendrix Lapierre.

True, we can also take a chance on Perreault, Gunler or Mysak but all 3 players are nowhere near Hendrix in terms of overall talent.

If I’m taking a chance on a kid, I’m picking the one that has the highest ceiling/upside.

Perreault has as much upside as Lapierre.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The problem is, what do we do after the draft is over?

I mean, sure, we argue over who we picked for a few days, maybe gloat about someone who fell that we managed to snag, do the yearly prospect rankings. Then the waiting begins all over again, but this time we don't know for how long.

It reminds me of a show I saw on Navy SEAL training. They had to go out on a run, and the slowest bunch would be punished, but they weren't told how long the run would be.

If you're me? Everyone asks you to rank the draft among teams and grade it and then rank the Devils prospects and so on and so forth. For you? I think you drink a beer.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Perreault has as much upside as Lapierre.

I doubt that very much. He was never talked about as being a top #10 pick whereas Hendrix was a clear candidate to be in that group but his injury issues has bumped him down to a possible mid to late 1st rounder, with him most likely slipping to the 2nd round.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I doubt that very much. He was never talked about as being a top #10 pick whereas Hendrix was a clear candidate to be in that group but his injury issues has bumped him down to a possible mid to late 1st rounder, with him most likely slipping to the 2nd round.
Perreault absolutely has as much upside as Lapierre. The only reason one was projected top 10 and the other wasn't was the same reason why we're going to have a chance to draft Perreault at 18/20. Inconsistent want to. Perreault has immense skill and wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's the Pasta of this class. 100% I take Perreault over Lapierre if they are both available and I don't even hesitate for a milli-second.

Reactions: nugg and glenwo2

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Perreault has 40+ goal upside while being a playmaker, Lapierre is a playmaker that probably never touches 30 goals in a season. Just depends what you want. For this team? It's easily Perreault.

Reactions: nugg and glenwo2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad