Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Final Mock Draft, Rounds 1 & 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Had a dream last night Detroit took Drysdale, Ottowa took Sanderson, and Anaheim took Raymond. Right before we picked I woke up but I feel the stars are aligning for Rossi

Dudes, we need to get this draft underway already. Things are starting to seriously affect @AlexTheDevilsFan 's subconscious mind.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Recent podcast discussing the draft done with Paul Castron
PODCAST: Paul Castron Joins Speak of the Devils
If anyone wants some of the more notable points of discussion, I'll list them out
  • #1 Attribute for Castron when rating prospects: Hockey IQ (3 following were skating, skill, and heart)
  • Does not seem to care much about size when rating a prospect
  • Lots of debate over Askarov, joked a possibility (not that they were going to do it or anything) that if they wanted him, they would probably have to trade up to 10 to take him (18+20 for 10)
  • Mentioned that he thinks whoever they select at 7 could possibly play in the NHL this year (I didn't remember him saying this but Loughlin mentioned it in a recap at the end of the podcast) which definitely came as a bit of a surprise to me
  • Scouts are not yet allowed to be inside the building for SHL games but are allowed for all Swedish Junior League games, which is a little strange
  • Not really much name dropping, but did mention how it was very impressive for two draft eligibles to lead the OHL in scoring (Rossi and Perfetti)
  • One of the things that annoys Castron in interviews is during the question that they ask "Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?" and prospects have unrealistic expectations for where they will be: Doesn't fault the prospect for trying to be confident, but prefers answers like "I will probably spend another year or two in Juniors developing X skill and then move onto the AHL to get pro experience and then I'll hopefully be with the team"; This mostly goes for prospects after the top 10 or so who this will be true for

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
not to give away his whole blog, but Cordell reached out to 2 different FO members of other teams and they both had the same guesses as to who will be off the board when we pick at 7th:

Lafreniere
Stutzle
Byfield
Perfetti
Raymond
Sanderson

leaving us to choose between Rossi and Drysdale.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Recent podcast discussing the draft done with Paul Castron
PODCAST: Paul Castron Joins Speak of the Devils
If anyone wants some of the more notable points of discussion, I'll list them out
  • #1 Attribute for Castron when rating prospects: Hockey IQ (3 following were skating, skill, and heart)
  • Mentioned that he thinks whoever they select at 7 could possibly play in the NHL this year (I didn't remember him saying this but Loughlin mentioned it in a recap at the end of the podcast) which definitely came as a bit of a surprise to me
This also screams Raymond, Rossi or Drysdale. LET's GO!!!

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
not to give away his whole blog, but Cordell reached out to 2 different FO members of other teams and they both had the same guesses as to who will be off the board when we pick at 7th:

Lafreniere
Stutzle
Byfield
Perfetti
Raymond
Sanderson

Glad I don’t have to make that choice...

Reactions: youryeah

RememberTheName

Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
This also screams Raymond, Rossi or Drysdale. LET's GO!!!
I'd say the IQ bit also screams Perfetti given that he probably has the highest IQ in the entire draft, and Castron said it is his #1 value. He also mentioned how impressive his performance is in the OHL and that through interviews, he knows that Perfetti has all the will in the world to make him a star in the league. It would not surprise me at all to see him as the Devil's pick

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Lafreniere
Stutzle
Byfield
Perfetti
Raymond
Sanderson

That would be an extremely tough choice but I think I’d have to go Drysdale. That would be the only scenario where I think I wouldn’t pick Rossi if he was there.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
My final wish list for #7 tomorrow.

Preference is one of these guys tier:
Rossi
Sanderson
Drysdale
Raymond

Really great prospect I would be happy to draft but not necessarily my top choice tier:
Holtz
Perfetti

Good prospect, probably top-10 worthy and I wouldn't cry in the corner or anything but would definitely be a reach with those other guys still on the board tier:
Quinn
Lundell

f*** off at #7 but if you're still there at #20 let's talk tier:
Askarov

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

Lafreniere
Stutzle
Byfield
Perfetti
Raymond
Sanderson

If that’s the case, I guess Drysdale is going to be our guy. As much as I like Rossi, there’s no way we’re letting Drysdale slide past us.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
  • One of the things that annoys Castron in interviews is during the question that they ask "Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?" and prospects have unrealistic expectations for where they will be.

Reminds me of when I met Thatcher Demko a few years ago. He was saying that was going to make the NHL full time that season and I had to bite my tongue from saying "But Vancouver just signed Anders Nilsson to a two year deal to backup Markstrom."

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
My final wish list for #7 tomorrow.

Preference is one of these guys tier:
Rossi
Sanderson
Drysdale
Raymond

Really great prospect I would be happy to draft but not necessarily my top choice tier:
Holtz
Perfetti

Good prospect, probably top-10 worthy and I wouldn't cry in the corner or anything but would definitely be a reach with those other guys still on the board tier:
Quinn
Lundell

f*** off at #7 but if you're still there at #20 let's talk tier:
Askarov
You’d take Lundell over Askarov? I get being averse to a goalie but Askarov has far higher upside than Lundell

RememberTheName

Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
What would be the opinion on taking Tyson Foerster with 18 or 20? Dude has an absolute cannon of a shot, solid passer, good size (6'2", 194 lbs) and good defensively, similar to Jack Quinn he absolutely shot up with a huge improvement over his last season, went from 10-13-23 in 64 to 36-44-80 in 62, which to me displays a kid who wants to work really damn hard to get better. By all accounts from his coaches and teammates as well he is a hardworking kid and he shows it in his play, but could definitely use to improve his skating and even strength scoring a little bit. Even so, I'd say this kid would be a solid player to choose at 18 or 20, especially if we don't get Quinn or Holtz at 7.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
What would be the opinion on taking Tyson Foerster with 18 or 20? Dude has an absolute cannon of a shot, solid passer, good size (6'2", 194 lbs) and good defensively, similar to Jack Quinn he absolutely shot up with a huge improvement over his last season, went from 10-13-23 in 64 to 36-44-80 in 62, which to me displays a kid who wants to work really damn hard to get better. By all accounts from his coaches and teammates as well he is a hardworking kid and he shows it in his play, but could definitely use to improve his skating and even strength scoring a little bit. Even so, I'd say this kid would be a solid player to choose at 18 or 20, especially if we don't get Quinn or Holtz at 7.

Id be pretty happy with that pick at 18 or 20. Would really like Perrault and Foerster at 18 & 20.

Reactions: RememberTheName
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille