Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Final Mock Draft, Rounds 1 & 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’ve made an irrational attachment to the group that was considered the top 7 prospects that I would be disappointed if we took Quinn. Looks like a fine player, but I would be disappointed.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Any particular reason why because I don't see it? I know Holtz plays in a man's league but I'm not sure he's a better prospect than Quinn. I'd 1000000% rather have a Mark Stone like player than a Patrik Laine-esque one. Quinn is just better all around and arguably has the better shot.

I simply don't believe that his offense translates as well as people think.

One year wonder makes me nervous, despite whatever excuse he may have, and he shot almost 22% last year in the OHL, which is notably a very offensive league this past year. That is just not going to continue, I don't care how good the shot is. If he shoots a more reasonable 15%, he's a 35 goal scorer, not 52. I think that is a significant difference in how people view him. He's a volume shooter, but I don't believe that he's a line driver or puck possession guy in the NHL, so I worry about where his shots are coming from, especially since he's doing a lot of his damage around the net and often has a lot of space up close (which is not going to happen). Is that his game at the next level? I just don't know. That seems slightly idealistic? I don't think the goal scoring fully translates to the NHL. I'm not sure what to do with him in some regards. He's not a guy breaking out the rush either. I don't think that playing with Rossi is the feather in his cap that a lot of people think, but I don't have data that supports either way (who's he matching up with?). I just don't feel as comfortable knowing where the goals come from at the NHL level for him. He'll always have the shot (and great hands), and will give him a base of effectiveness goal scoring wise, but I have more concerns about him creating those shots. I do not worry about that with Holtz, mainly because I think that is always on his mind.

That's not to say that Holtz doesn't have warts. He's not nearly as strong defensively (though he tries, his compete level isn't an issue, so that's fine), I don't like his hands as much in tight, and he takes far too much on the periphery, but it's not like he doesn't drive. When the goalies get better, that's going to be an issue in the NHL so he'll need to continue on getting in closer as he gets older. He needs to be more active in getting closer in, underneath (make some tips, things like that)...maybe that is a byproduct of playing so far above himself age wise against adults, and then when moving down being so much better than his peers and he can just let it rip from anywhere. He went down to a J20 league last year and it was a joke he was so much better than those guys. He's significantly outperformed his peers for years, and he just put up one of the greatest draft eligible SHL years in history point production wise. Like Quinn, the skating isn't anything to write home about, but I do like his ability for zone exits (not really a big deal as a forward) and zone entrances (slightly bigger deal) better, but I'm not going to lie, that's really hard to judge given the ice surface differences and difference in competition. I Like his offensive movement without the puck better than Quinn's and this is probably the biggest thing. He's always ready to unload, and I think he's always looking for areas where he can make that happen, watching and anticipating puck movement to make it happen, etc.

He's a far better playmaker than people give him credit for, which is a shame. People treat him like he's just a shot, and it's not accurate. I do think that he's more likely to be a superior puck possession guy so I do like his overall offensive package more than Quinn's.

TL; DR

I think that these guys end up being slightly different NHL player types at the next level.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
The knocks on Perfetti’s skating are so overblown. He’s going to be fine at the NHL level.

I don't think that they are overblown at all. He looks like he's skating in water sometimes. I feel like his zone entries are going to be a disaster, and he's small. If defenders don't respect the skating, he's just going to get blanketed constantly. It's a very legit concern imo

Reactions: Guttersniped

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Also, just to clarify...my previous post does not mean that I am advocating for Holtz at 7 lol. Just means that I would be more inclined to take him than I would Quinn. That being said, because of the existence of 18 and 20, and guys such as Foerster, Perreault, and Gunler at the back end of the round, I do believe that you can get the "lite" version of Holtz to some degree later in the round and I would rather just do that and get a slightly more unique skillset at #7 (whether that's Raymond driving and owning possession from a wing with elite playmaking, Sanderson being on ice for 25 minutes a night during his prime, or Drysdale being a 60 point RHD). I wouldn't be upset by taking Holtz, because I do think that there is a very high degree of likelihood that he's a very good NHL goal scorer, but at best he's probably 4th on my list

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I think that these guys end up being slightly different NHL player types at the next level.
Fair criticisms, my friend. I have faith in Quinn due to how much he's shown in such little time on the ice and you know I value a 200 foot game. Holtz tries but he doesn't quite "get it" yet and that's a concern for me. Quinn is also just growing into his size so who really knows what his game will be at the next level. All I know is that shot is a WMD. I'm just underwhelmed when I watch Holtz. I think he could be EVEN better than he is but he seems passive to me. That's not really something I want in my top pick. I'm also not sure how Quinn isn't a line driver when he put up absurd stats without being paired with one.

Reactions: Forge

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Also, as @Forge just stated about Holtz, my posts also don't mean I'm openly advocating for Quinn at #7. I think my votes in the big board threads would show that.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think the only two players that I'd be disappointed with at #7 are Askarov and Holtz. I'm not big on Holtz. I think he's the riskiest of all the top RWs that we'd consider at #7. Let him be someone else's problem.

EDIT - I'd probably be disappointed with Perfetti as well. I'm seriously worried about his skating.
Ya, I was going to say I'd add Perfetti to thay group

Reactions: TheGooseIsLoose

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
The knocks on Perfetti’s skating are so overblown. He’s going to be fine at the NHL level.

Shift by shift game of Perfetti
0-48 He lost 2 steps against D. But he play well with his stick. Is it work in nhl? I don`t think so.
0-59 He cant start to take the puck
2-28 he didnt go to the bench so we can think it`s a smart positioning or lazy staing on blue line and waiting for the puck. i really don`t know here, may be it`s a coaching decision
2-40 he is very slow here but he used his body to protect the puck pretty well
3-06 he`s trying to make a breakout and skate in 90 degree angle. It`s a mark of bad skating technique, especially for that kind of speed movement.
3-19 he could start faster and make a shot but he didn`t and defensman made a pokechek
5-48 he cant make a breakout but as always he made great passing decision
8-31 he falls. miles wood can be better in situation like this
8-42 he should going to the puck and protect the zone but he can`t
9-04 great work and... legs against hands
11-09 he doesn`t use acceleration. may be trying in two or three steps. he doesn`t use it anywhen.
14-10 he`s trying to catch defensman but defensman doesnt do anything to stay away from pursuer but distance doesn`t change
16-06 another "why did he fall?" moment
17-54 he made a turn, should take a speed out of that, take a puck and... made a good pass, but if not - opponents would have eaten him. They caught up with him in just two steps.
21-44 he can make a breakout here, he used his hands here very smart but his speed wasnt there and defensman take the puck
23-35 he can take the puck here, defensman didnt move, but he even didnt start and defensman was first here

I was write about his skating and speed or starting speed only.
What can we understand from this game? He is ... absolutely FANTASTIQUE player on his level. His positional decisions are great, he compensate all of his skating problem by his decision making. He is absolutely great passer, he made some mistakes but everybody did. He has brilliant hands and made pokecheks here and there. Puck won't pass through him. He made a lot of captures. He protects puck pretty well, he used his body and make his shifty passes. I think he is so high intellegent player with freaking awesone iq. I think he is better than Lafrenier in any of aspects where he is good.

But his skating ability... He is ridiculously bad at it. He skates bad, he loses his balance, he cant start, he cant skate fast. He compensate it as he can. But it`s a real red flag for him. If you are general manager you can`t ignore it. You MUST to think who will be his partners who can make all of the job they`ll have to.
Perfetti doesn`t exist in active forechek. He play all of the game pretty passive when his team hasn`t a puck. He`s trying to take a good position but he still is to pasive in defensive playing and cant grab the puck in competitions. His two way game isn`t as bad - he can make takeaways, when the puck around him, he will grab it and will make a fast pass, but in NHL coaches will ask much more.

Anyway i think he will be a great partner for Eichel or even Mcdavid. Or Barkov. Especially Barkov i think. But i cant imagine who can be a great partner for him in the Devils prganisation and who will compensate his problems.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

One year wonder makes me nervous, despite whatever excuse he may have, and he shot almost 22% last year in the OHL, which is notably a very offensive league this past year. That is just not going to continue, I don't care how good the shot is. If he shoots a more reasonable 15%, he's a 35 goal scorer, not 52. I think that is a significant difference in how people view him. He's a volume shooter, but I don't believe that he's a line driver or puck possession guy in the NHL, so I worry about where his shots are coming from, especially since he's doing a lot of his damage around the net and often has a lot of space up close (which is not going to happen). Is that his game at the next level? I just don't know. That seems slightly idealistic? I don't think the goal scoring fully translates to the NHL. I'm not sure what to do with him in some regards. He's not a guy breaking out the rush either. I don't think that playing with Rossi is the feather in his cap that a lot of people think, but I don't have data that supports either way (who's he matching up with?). I just don't feel as comfortable knowing where the goals come from at the NHL level for him. He'll always have the shot (and great hands), and will give him a base of effectiveness goal scoring wise, but I have more concerns about him creating those shots. I do not worry about that with Holtz, mainly because I think that is always on his mind.

That's not to say that Holtz doesn't have warts. He's not nearly as strong defensively (though he tries, his compete level isn't an issue, so that's fine), I don't like his hands as much in tight, and he takes far too much on the periphery, but it's not like he doesn't drive. When the goalies get better, that's going to be an issue in the NHL so he'll need to continue on getting in closer as he gets older. He needs to be more active in getting closer in, underneath (make some tips, things like that)...maybe that is a byproduct of playing so far above himself age wise against adults, and then when moving down being so much better than his peers and he can just let it rip from anywhere. He went down to a J20 league last year and it was a joke he was so much better than those guys. He's significantly outperformed his peers for years, and he just put up one of the greatest draft eligible SHL years in history point production wise. Like Quinn, the skating isn't anything to write home about, but I do like his ability for zone exits (not really a big deal as a forward) and zone entrances (slightly bigger deal) better, but I'm not going to lie, that's really hard to judge given the ice surface differences and difference in competition. I Like his offensive movement without the puck better than Quinn's and this is probably the biggest thing. He's always ready to unload, and I think he's always looking for areas where he can make that happen, watching and anticipating puck movement to make it happen, etc.

He's a far better playmaker than people give him credit for, which is a shame. People treat him like he's just a shot, and it's not accurate. I do think that he's more likely to be a superior puck possession guy so I do like his overall offensive package more than Quinn's.

TL; DR

Thanks for the great analsys. I'm a big Quinn guy, but I certainly get your concern.

I just feel like Quinn has the higher floor because of his defense. If nothing else, he can be a 3rd line checker with some scoring punch. I agree his offense is more of a question mark, especially with the chance he may be a flash in the pan scoring wise. It's still a risk I think I'd prefer to take, but that's just me.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

TL; DR

Pick224 - Hockey Prospect Stats - Player Pairings - use it. You will see assists for his goals. If you wil go on ottawa twitter you will se he played with hoelshier(older player with 40 points before) and beck(will be on draft next year only). He played with rossi only in PP(his 8 assists and keating 6 assists). You can watch rossi and quinn shift by shift videos on youtube to understand how and with whom he played. btw Rossi played part of the season with gerreffa and full season with keating. Both were AHL level players with 90 points seasons before. Quinn was playing in bottom six role season before, and grow a lot last year.
I dont think he will be excellent player like Stone, but he choose place and time for shot pretty well, and you can`t say the same about Holtz. Holtz does have a significantly better shot, but the discussion has a rights to exist and there are plenty of real arguments in favor of Quinn. If you want to figure it out, of course.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Pick224 - Hockey Prospect Stats - Player Pairings - use it. You will see assists for his goals. If you wil go on ottawa twitter you will se he played with hoelshier(older player with 40 points before) and beck(will be on draft next year only). He played with rossi only in PP(his 8 assists and keating 6 assists). You can watch rossi and quinn shift by shift videos on youtube to understand how and with whom he played. btw Rossi played part of the season with gerreffa and full season with keating. Both were AHL level players with 90 points seasons before. Quinn was playing in bottom six role season before, and grow a lot last year.
I dont think he will be excellent player like Stone, but he choose place and time for shot pretty well, and you can`t say the same about Holtz. Holtz does have a significantly better shot, but the discussion has a rights to exist and there are plenty of real arguments in favor of Quinn. If you want to figure it out, of course.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Devils take Quinn, especially with our connections to the 67.

Reactions: Guadana

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018

This wasn't what I meant; I was talking about who was defensively matched up on him? Were opposing teams using their top defenders against him or Rossi's line most often? Was he going up against opposing top lines, or no?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
This wasn't what I meant; I was talking about who was defensively matched up on him? Were opposing teams using their top defenders against him or Rossi's line most often?
I'm not going to look for it, I'm going to assume that it was against Rossi`s line. However, as I said, Rossi had very good partners. At the same time, Quinn solved all the tasks as independently as possible.
I don't think Quinn is any better than Rossi, but Quinn looks like a good winger with very good hands. I thought we were comparing Quinn and Holtz, not Quinn and Rossi.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
I'm not going to look for it, I'm going to assume that it was against Rossi`s line. However, as I said, Rossi had very good partners. At the same time, Quinn solved all the tasks as independently as possible.
I don't think Quinn is any better than Rossi, but Quinn looks like a good winger with very good hands. I thought we were comparing Quinn and Holtz, not Quinn and Rossi.

It's not about comparing Quinn and Rossi...it's a question about the further breakdown on the level of competition that Quinn is facing on a typical in game basis. It's not something that can really be quantified (at least, I don't know of anything that tracks that specifically).

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It's not about comparing Quinn and Rossi...it's a question about the further breakdown on the level of competition that Quinn is facing on a typical in game basis. It's not something that can really be quantified (at least, I don't know of anything that tracks that specifically).
Here I can agree, I would kill a little degree of expectation. But his independence, hands, skating and 200 foote game can make him a useful winger with 20-25 goals. Holtz at the moment looks like a thing in itself. Able to score 30-40 goals, but Byfuglien will swear at him, and the coach will grab his head.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
This is actually a really good argument against Quinn that I will say I have not heard yet but is very interesting.
I would like to counter this though. Do CHL teams really have top defensive lines? The talent gap is huge, with most players focused more on offense on defense, so its not like if a player is lacking on offense, they will be moved down to the third line to play better defense. They are moved down to the third line more than likely to play bad offense and probably league average defense, just as probably 90% of the CHL does. In Juniors, you don't really see the defensive talent differential that you do in the NHL, sans a few exceptions going both ways. Its not like every team has an amazing defensive third line ala Coleman-Zajac-Zacha to trot out to shut down the other teams top lines. They use the players they have to fill the roles on the team, which does not necessarily mean they are good in that role. So, I would say that the defensive talent level Quinn is facing is about the same as the defensive talent level that Rossi is facing.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH

Shift by shift game of Perfetti
0-48 He lost 2 steps against D. But he play well with his stick. Is it work in nhl? I don`t think so.
0-59 He cant start to take the puck
2-28 he didnt go to the bench so we can think it`s a smart positioning or lazy staing on blue line and waiting for the puck. i really don`t know here, may be it`s a coaching decision
2-40 he is very slow here but he used his body to protect the puck pretty well
3-06 he`s trying to make a breakout and skate in 90 degree angle. It`s a mark of bad skating technique, especially for that kind of speed movement.
3-19 he could start faster and make a shot but he didn`t and defensman made a pokechek
5-48 he cant make a breakout but as always he made great passing decision
8-31 he falls. miles wood can be better in situation like this
8-42 he should going to the puck and protect the zone but he can`t
9-04 great work and... legs against hands
11-09 he doesn`t use acceleration. may be trying in two or three steps. he doesn`t use it anywhen.
14-10 he`s trying to catch defensman but defensman doesnt do anything to stay away from pursuer but distance doesn`t change
16-06 another "why did he fall?" moment
17-54 he made a turn, should take a speed out of that, take a puck and... made a good pass, but if not - opponents would have eaten him. They caught up with him in just two steps.
21-44 he can make a breakout here, he used his hands here very smart but his speed wasnt there and defensman take the puck
23-35 he can take the puck here, defensman didnt move, but he even didnt start and defensman was first here

I was write about his skating and speed or starting speed only.
What can we understand from this game? He is ... absolutely FANTASTIQUE player on his level. His positional decisions are great, he compensate all of his skating problem by his decision making. He is absolutely great passer, he made some mistakes but everybody did. He has brilliant hands and made pokecheks here and there. Puck won't pass through him. He made a lot of captures. He protects puck pretty well, he used his body and make his shifty passes. I think he is so high intellegent player with freaking awesone iq. I think he is better than Lafrenier in any of aspects where he is good.

But his skating ability... He is ridiculously bad at it. He skates bad, he loses his balance, he cant start, he cant skate fast. He compensate it as he can. But it`s a real red flag for him. If you are general manager you can`t ignore it. You MUST to think who will be his partners who can make all of the job they`ll have to.
Perfetti doesn`t exist in active forechek. He play all of the game pretty passive when his team hasn`t a puck. He`s trying to take a good position but he still is to pasive in defensive playing and cant grab the puck in competitions. His two way game isn`t as bad - he can make takeaways, when the puck around him, he will grab it and will make a fast pass, but in NHL coaches will ask much more.

Anyway i think he will be a great partner for Eichel or even Mcdavid. Or Barkov. Especially Barkov i think. But i cant imagine who can be a great partner for him in the Devils prganisation and who will compensate his problems.

Well tbf you don’t seem to think any of the top forwards are a “good fit” for the Devils...

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Just recently finished a mock draft on the main board. This is who I made out with for the Devils
7- Jake Sanderson
18- Rodion Amirov
20- Noel Gunler
84- Dmitri Rashevsky
99- Alexander Nikishin
120- Carson Bantle
130- Marko Stacha
161- Artur Akhtyamov
192- Oscar Tellstrom
I'd say it was a pretty solid draft for us.

Who else did you consider at 20?

Reactions: RememberTheName

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Just recently finished a mock draft on the main board. This is who I made out with for the Devils
7- Jake Sanderson
18- Rodion Amirov
20- Noel Gunler
84- Dmitri Rashevsky
99- Alexander Nikishin
120- Carson Bantle
130- Marko Stacha
161- Artur Akhtyamov
192- Oscar Tellstrom
I'd say it was a pretty solid draft for us.

Thank you for Rashevsky.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Who else did you consider at 20?
The other big names that were there were Perreault, Mysak, and Reichel, and to some extent I wouldn't have minded Foerster or Grieg or Peterka either. In hindsight I might make a different pick given Gunler's seemingly continuing consistency issues but with #20 I wanted a high risk high reward guy and he was it (I probably picked #20 like two weeks ago or something like that). To me, it is essentially a crapshoot between all of these guys, but if I had the choice, I'd probably choose Perreault to fill that roll, but I wouldn't mind Reichel either.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad