2020 Cough-Season Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Time value of the 1st (plus it likely being late) makes it worth a good 2nd. You're doing a team a favor by giving them the best goalie on the market for a goalie that has no market and probably should be bought out. Dumba only has two more years on his deal.

I wouldn't go near such a trade but I think that's pretty close, considering the winning bid will not be 'fair' value if you have the best of something on the market and you're also solving multiple problems for a team.

Fair value is way more likely in an OEL trade.
Dumba has 3 years left. No idea why a goalie with one bad season dealing with his Wife being ill needs to be bought out but yet you fee Raanta has value on the same contract??? Career wise Dubnyk compares quite well with either Coyote goalie and plays a lot more.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I mean, it's not... He proved multiple times last season he can't cut it there. Minnesota already has plenty of wingers with the exact same problem.
Just like Domi proved it under Tocchet? And Strome? And Galchenyuk? This team has a MAJOR coaching problem. I personally think Schmaltz is built to play center in the NHL. He just ran into a complete joke of a coaching staff.

Reactions: PuckLife

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Couple of new ideas in this mock lineup:

1. Grabner to Minny for Dubnyk - based on the assumption that Burke becomes GM. No idea if Minny has use for Grabner, but we don't, and he saves them a million on Dubnyk or the trouble of buying him out.

2. Raanta to Buffalo for Johansson - Raanta could be tough to deal in a flooded goalie market especially considering his injury history. Buffalo will push Hutton on us but we take Johansson's deal instead.

3. OEL and Kuemper to Calgary for Monahan and a 1st - not sure if this would go over well but I think OEL is more or less equal to Monahan and same with the other two pieces. Potentially a bigger deal involving Schmaltz and Hanifin?

4. Demers to Toronto for Johnsson - Toronto gets a vet Top 4 RD and we get a Top 9 forward. Would prefer to move Hammer but not sure he'd waive for Canada. I think Hammer has greater trade value too.

5. Stepan to Columbus for Wennberg - Stepan reunites with Tortorella and we take a crack at a young center.

6. Kessel to Florida for Yandle - as previously discussed.

7. Oesterle to Ottawa for a 5th - fine with keeping him, but I just wanted another pick and to clear a spot for Capo.

So you're left with:

Keller - Monahan - Garland
Johnsson - Dvorak - Schmaltz
Crouse - Hayton - Johansson
Bunting - Wennberg - ???

Yandle - Hammer
Chychrun - Goligoski
Capobianco - Soderstrom

Dubnyk
Hill

Couple notes:

1. After moving Hossa to LTIR, there is about 12 mil in cap space, so lots more creativity depending on how much Meruelo is willing to spend. Of note the above lineup still needs a fourth line forward, a spare forward, and a depth D so that's at least 2-3 mil right there.

2. I left Fischer and Hino (and Bush) unsigned. They could fill out the forward spots though I'd prefer to trade them.

3. Bottom pairing D carries a lot of risk so if we're willing to spend there is cap space to add via UFA. Same with a veteran forward up front. Haula?

4. If we suck there is potential to move out pending UFAs like Hammer and Goose at the deadline.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Keller - Monahan - Garland
Johnsson - Dvorak - Schmaltz
Crouse - Hayton - Johansson
Bunting - Wennberg - ???

Yandle - Hammer
Chychrun - Goligoski
Capobianco - Soderstrom

Dubnyk
Hill

Couple notes:

I like this team a lot better than the current Coyotes but that's not saying much is it

1. Sure I guess.
2. Mojo has really fallen off, I'd rather have the cap space or explore something else
3. I disagree philosophically with putting your two biggest trade chips in a deal for a guy that walks in two seasons. Just not the time horizon I'd be looking at. 55ish point clip on a stronger team is a gamble.
4. I'd rather take a pick or target Mikheyev.
5. You would need to retain 50%
6. Sure, but Yandle is not a top pairing guy. I wouldn't keep Goose and Hammer, they need to go now.
7. Oesterle plays both sides for 1.4m and is well thought of, he'd be worth more than a 5th. Would just keep him until the deadline at that price

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
heavily favors MIN. Would want a high pick back
I would trade Schmaltz for Dubas quick. Keumper is obviously better than Dubs, but I'd think about this. I'd be tempted to trade Schmaltz and a hypothetical first for Dumba. If Keumper's worth in an alternative trade is essentially a first, I don't think it's super crazy. I wouldn't be super excited, but it's not terrible.

I think MN would want a real center anyway.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I mean, it's not... He proved multiple times last season he can't cut it there. Minnesota already has plenty of wingers with the exact same problem.
Well, Tocc keeps occasionally going back to that well, so it's not impossible that someone in MN sees him as a potential center. I don't think he's a NHL center, but he could put up points there.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd love to move Hammer now, just don't really see a fit. Florida is an obvious connection with Q, but what's coming back?

I think any deal with Toronto needs to be pretty even cap wise. They're right up against it like us.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd love to move Hammer now, just don't really see a fit. Florida is an obvious connection with Q, but what's coming back?

Every team would be in on Hammer @50%, some others without retention. I think he's wasted in Florida. Some contender will come calling. Goligoski works pretty okay with Chychrun so you could make that the top pairing.

How close is Kuemper, Demers to 1st (19), Bennett, Rittich ($$)?

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
LTIR doesn’t give us the full cap hit relief for Hossa unless we’re right up against the cap again. I don’t see that happening.

Reactions: _Del_

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Sens will likely come calling for that contract.
That may be true, but just putting him on LTIR at the beginning of the year doesn’t just magically give us 5.275 mil in cap relief. Thats not how it works. But, luckily, we are getting almost 2 mil off the books by the Ribeiro buyout expiring.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Their first is too high. I think the value of the proposal is off by a pick in the 20s. I think Kunin or JEE adds too much value while Greenway or Donato adds too little.
Interesting discussion. I like Greenway a lot. Gives his linemates some much needed courage. Dumba has moxy, too though I worry about his shoulder.

Then sign Zadorov.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Just like Domi proved it under Tocchet? And Strome? And Galchenyuk? This team has a MAJOR coaching problem. I personally think Schmaltz is built to play center in the NHL. He just ran into a complete joke of a coaching staff.
I don't disagree with your larger point (that the Coyotes need a new coaching staff) but it's worth pointing out that both Schmaltz, Domi, Galchenyuk have also not borne out at center with other teams as well. Not just here.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't disagree with your larger point (that the Coyotes need a new coaching staff) but it's worth pointing out that both Schmaltz, Domi, Galchenyuk have also not borne out at center with other teams as well. Not just here.
Domi seems to be stuck at center and buried by emerging depth.

Galchenyuk had his best seasons in Montreal at center. Never played there in Pittsburgh and only looked in in Minny when at C.

Schmaltz was a rookie/sophomore just breaking in. I think if Q stayed, Schmaltz would be a center in Chicago today. And better than any we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad