2020 Cough-Season Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
K I'm ready to wipe that embarassment from my memory.

I don't want to sell low on our ?talent? until we give them a chance with a new coach. If we can get good value though, I'm all for a roster change.

Reactions: Surfshop

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
K I'm ready to wipe that embarassment from my memory.

I don't want to sell low on our ?talent? until we give them a chance with a new coach. If we can get good value though, I'm all for a roster change.
Nobody should be safe.

The talent is not talented enough. The role players cant play their role well enough. The coach cant coach enough.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
If sissy boy Olivè is still captain at the start of next season, this offseason is a failure.

He’s damn near impossible to move with his contract. I’d be willing to give him one year with a new coaching staff. If he keeps up his Mickey Mouse play, rip the C off his chest and staple it to Garland.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Guessing I'm an exception, but I let Hall walk....given the amount of money it would require and how it would hamstring the roster/cap even further.

Columbus walked away, the Islanders walked away and those teams did and continue to do okay.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Guessing I'm an exception, but I let Hall walk....given the amount of money it would require and how it would hamstring the roster/cap even further.

Columbus walked away, the Islanders walked away and those teams did and continue to do okay.
I'm with you. Hall signing makes us worse short term and will likely not be a contract that ages well. Easy to see there are structural issues with this roster. Taking a couple seasons to start on the right track with 3 second lines might be prudent while growing the prospect pool.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I don’t think we would be able to create enough capspace to sign him even if we wanted to return.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I don’t think we would be able to create enough capspace to sign him even if we wanted to return.

No, it honestly seems pretty easy. Trade Raanta for a pick and you're almost there. Then maybe trade a defenseman or two (with some salary retention), and if you need an extra mil or so just send Garland down to the minors

=D

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
No, it honestly seems pretty easy. Trade Raanta for a pick and you're almost there. Then maybe trade a defenseman or two (with some salary retention), and if you need an extra mil or so just send Garland down to the minors

=D
Keller’s raise kicks in among other factors. You’d have to clear like 10m to have a shot.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

You're right of course, our cap is a mess. We basically need to find a trading partner to shed some salary, even without Hall, re-signing Soda, not qualifying Vinnie etc (hopefully Fischer too, I lost a lot of respect for him when he didn't drop the gloves / got memed by MacK). As said before with a flat cap trading partners will be hard to come by. A team like NJ or DET can (should?) absolutely weaponize this and start creating a dynasty.

Will be very interesting to see what happens this offseason

EDIT: rt it was a joke. like you implied our cap is f****ed beyond belief. Kuemper's (well-deserved) raise kicks in this year too

Arizona Coyotes - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
NOTE: My math could be wrong, but this might be a teardown that doesn't require scorched earth. The Coyotes will not trade for a number one center, or offer sheet one. The only hope we have is a drafted player panning out, or Matthews coming here when his deal is over. haha

If we retain on both Goligoski and Hammer to make their contracts more desirable, it actually isn't hard. Grabner may have pumped up his trade values. Teams always seem to get stupid with good playoff performers. Maybe we can get a bite. Besides, it's the last year of his contract too.

Stepan makes a lot less than his cap
Kessel makes less than his cap
Raanta makes less than his cap.

If my napkin math is right, we retain Hammer at 50% and Goligoski down to get his cap at 3, we could clear almost 27 mil out if we get rid of Goligoski, Stepan, Raanta, Kessel, Hammer, Demers and Grabner. Someone correct me if the numbers aren't right. Hammer and Goligoski retained are worth a heck of a lot more than them at full value, and it's only for one more season so we can eat roughly 6 mil in cap for something useful coming the other way.

Soderstrom/Capo could replace some of these D. Hayton barely played so he'd replace Stepan. Hill, or a cheap backup can replace Raanta. Not opposed to giving Richie a slight raise to keep him on a year to year basis. Or if we can keep the number lower by giving him two years, I'm still not opposed to it.

Keller - Dvo - Schmaltz
Crouse - Hayton - Garland
??? - Richie ???
??? - ??? - ???

OEL - Soderstrom
Chychrun - Oesterle
Capo - ???

Kuemper
Hill

Now, imo, the big concern. I honestly think AZ can get more for these players at the deadline than during the offseason. Retaining 50% on players like Hammer and Goose might net us a younger piece, and/or a 2nd rounder.

It might be smart just to get rid of maybe Grabner, Raanta, Demers and Kessel up front during the offseason, and trade the rest closer to the deadline. With the exception of Kessel, I think AZ can easily move the other three in that sentence without any retention. Towards the TDL, the GM can get creative with the retention.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Now, imo, the big concern. I honestly think AZ can get more for these players at the deadline than during the offseason. Retaining 50% on players like Hammer and Goose might net us a younger piece, and/or a 2nd rounder.

injury risk + decline in play + keeping a bad veteran around isn't worth whatever extra juice you'd squeeze out at the deadline.

Overall though, yeah it's not that dire. Kessel is the only hard sell IMO. A lot of teams would like Stepan for a year at 3.25m, same with Hammer and Goose.

Step 1 is to admit you have a problem though

Reactions: Jakey53

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I loved the Taylor Hall acquisition. I don’t remember the last time I was so excited as a Coyotes fan.

After seeing him play on this team, I’m good with him walking. He was good, don’t get me wrong, but not worth 9M per year as a 29 year old. That contract has the potential to look extremely messy in 4 seasons. In addition, it would take a lotttt of money maneuvering to make it work. We still need to shed our bad contracts/players, but we need that money spent elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad