Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Alex Newhook? That won’t happen.

Donskoi is mostly there for contract purposes. Could be Compher instead. But if Alex Newhook is part of what it takes you can count Colorado very out on Darcy Kuemper.
No worries. Please bid up market on Markstrom or trade for Fleury.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It'll be interesting to see how quickly the goalie market gets going here. It already started with the Allen trade.

All of the 5 teams remaining are pretty much set with their goaltending. Vegas needs to make a decision on their guys but they're otherwise fine.

But elsewhere, Anaheim needs a backup, Arizona has two guys who could move, Buffalo and Calgary need a starter, Rask's future is TBD, Chicago could walk from Crawford, Colorado may want to upgrade Grubauer, CBJ has an expansion issue, Detroit needs something, Oilers need something too, Carolina's guys are good not great, Minny may buy out Dubnyk, NJ needs more out of Schneider, NYR has to figure out Lundqvist's future, Ottawa is up in the air with Nilsson, Pittsburgh needs to move a guy, SJ needs Jones to be way better, STL needs a backup, Toronto may move Andersen, Vancouver has a dilemma now...

There are going to be a lot of goalies moving around and we have to move quickly to optimize value and secure our own goaltending future.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Alex Newhook? That won’t happen.

Donskoi is mostly there for contract purposes. Could be Compher instead. But if Alex Newhook is part of what it takes you can count Colorado very out on Darcy Kuemper.
My theory on the Avs? Watch them make a trade for Carey Price. The Habs aren’t spending $15 M on goaltending.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You are likely right. But if we did go down that route he’s getting at least a first (and there are other teams with a better 1st than Colorado who are also interested ) as part of a package.
If we only get a first for out MVP playing the hardest position in hockey I don't/will not trade him. A first can easily be a bust. I want prospects that have been drafted a couple of years ago so we have a better idea about their development, or a 1C, or a 1st. pairing D.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think Keumper is leaving and if he does I find it highly unlikely anyone is giving you a grade A prospect and a 1st round pick for 2 years of goalie with the level of guys available this year.
Then I keep him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It'll be interesting to see how quickly the goalie market gets going here. It already started with the Allen trade.

All of the 5 teams remaining are pretty much set with their goaltending. Vegas needs to make a decision on their guys but they're otherwise fine.

But elsewhere, Anaheim needs a backup, Arizona has two guys who could move, Buffalo and Calgary need a starter, Rask's future is TBD, Chicago could walk from Crawford, Colorado may want to upgrade Grubauer, CBJ has an expansion issue, Detroit needs something, Oilers need something too, Carolina's guys are good not great, Minny may buy out Dubnyk, NJ needs more out of Schneider, NYR has to figure out Lundqvist's future, Ottawa is up in the air with Nilsson, Pittsburgh needs to move a guy, SJ needs Jones to be way better, STL needs a backup, Toronto may move Andersen, Vancouver has a dilemma now...

There are going to be a lot of goalies moving around and we have to move quickly to optimize value and secure our own goaltending future.
What's wrong with our goaltending future? If there is one area of strength on this team it's goaltending.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If we only get a first for out MVP playing the hardest position in hockey I don't/will not trade him. A first can easily be a bust. I want prospects that have been drafted a couple of years ago so we have a better idea about their development, or a 1C, or a 1st. pairing D.
We aren’t moving Keumper for just the first. The key to me is that A rated Center prospect. If you don’t want to give up the C prospect then keep adding high picks.

The Sens need a cheap option (finances). If they finish bottom 2 again start the relocation rumors to Quebec.

Edmonton needs a cheap option and likely someone to eat Kostkinen’s contract. If Edmonton doesn’t make a run next year how long do they had before McDavid leverages a trade. Edmonton needs to do something to make a statement now. They can’t wait.

Buffalo needs a cheap option and if they don’t make the playoffs they risk having their franchise player demand a trade.

We have leverage and interest. Unless the right deal if a there that includes assets that fit the long term interests then dealing Keumper isn’t even a consideration.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What's wrong with our goaltending future? If there is one area of strength on this team it's goaltending.

Our immediate goaltending future, more so. If Kuemper goes, we need someone. We can't trust Raanta (although I think he's going for sure). A couple years down the road I like where we are with Prosvetov.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I am a Keumper fan but also a realist. He is 30 years old and has only played one season in his career where he played the starters load of games. Raanta is fragile. The kids have proven nothing. Its not that certain of a future.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
@hbk What young centers are you eyeing aside from Newhook? The Buffalo point made me think of Mittelstadt.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I am a Keumper fan but also a realist. He is 30 years old and has only played one season in his career where he played the starters load of games. Raanta is fragile. The kids have proven nothing. Its not that certain of a future.
I think our goaltending situation is better than most team at the moment. Most were confident in Hill as a back up last year, so progression suggests he will get better. Kuempers age is fine.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
@hbk What young centers are you eyeing aside from Newhook? The Buffalo point made me think of Mittelstadt.
Is Buffalo ok with Ullmark? Would you include him in a trade with Kuemper? At the moment, Mittelstadt does not move the needle for me, but as a throw in for a bigger deal he could end being a steal, or not.:dunno:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd want more than Mittelstadt I think. His development has been a bit rushed and I'm not fully confident our staff knows how to fix it.

Ullmark is the long-term option in Buffalo. They'll want to keep him. But he can still play a bit behind Kuemper. As hbk said, it's a critical year to keep Eichel happy. They need wins and Kuemper helps them do that.

Sabres also have Hutton. I don't want him. They can dump him elsewhere or buy him out. They have some good goalies in Rochester and I assume they don't want him taking a space there. I'd maybe take Hutton if they retained a decent chunk and we sent him to Tucson to back up Prosvetov.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I really like the idea of hiring Hextall and then picking off Nolan Patrick from Philly. Hard to gauge what his value is however considering the migraine issue, and if he can even play anymore.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

it also depends if we move forward with an OEL trade. That opens us up to acquire a D as well for Keumper and a C as part of the package for Keumper.

Vegas - Cody Glass, Krebs (love this as an OEL destination as Vegas’s weakness is On D)

Ottawa - Logan Brown (everyone knows I covet this player)

Avs - Newhook

Sabres - Middlestadt fits (I’d rather have 8 OV though and Buffalo is desperate for a 2nd line C and a starting goalie)

Flyers - Nolan Patrick, Morgan Frost, Rubstov. (They have the depth where they would be more willing to deal someone)

Leafs - Robertson (which isn’t likely given hype)

kings - Thomas, Kupari, Vilardi (more of a winter at pros and has back issues but loved him his draft year). Kings are deep but they aren’t dealing Turcotte which is why I would focus on the others.

Flames - I see a hockey deal involving Monahan

Tampa - definitely a hockey deal where we move OEL and take back 2 roster players Who can play in our top 6.

Reactions: Grimes and _Del_

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I really like the idea of hiring Hextall and then picking off Nolan Patrick from Philly. Hard to gauge what his value is however considering the migraine issue, and if he can even play anymore.
I’ve had zero faith Nolan Patrick since his draft year - lol.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I’ve had zero faith Nolan Patrick since his draft year - lol.

I recall. But I think he's done OK. He stepped into the NHL as an 18-year-old and put up 30 points as a centre. That's not too bad. He's never going to be a world beater but a ceiling of 60 points seems plausible, if he gets healthy. Plus he's a right shot which is a nice little bonus.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I recall. But I think he's done OK. He stepped into the NHL as an 18-year-old and put up 30 points as a centre. That's not too bad. He's never going to be a world beater but a ceiling of 60 points seems plausible, if he gets healthy. Plus he's a right shot which is a nice little bonus.
I need to better understand the migraine symptoms/causes.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think he meant instead of the 1st.
Well, no one is advocating trading a top-three pick for him. I have very little faith in Poehling ever becoming a top-six C, but he'd still be a great add as an NHL-ready young C with a bit of potential upside.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Doesn’t Francouz make more sense as your backup given his salary? Why include him rather than Grubauer?
Kuemper and Francouz is no more dependable than Grubauer and Francouz. Remember Grubauer is a great goalie. The Avs issue isn’t that he is on the team. It’s that he got hurt. The same can happen to Kuemper and that puts the Avs back in the same situation they were in this year during the playoffs.

Plus I figured with Az clearly trying to cut dollars that Francouz makes more sense. Otherwise why would they even trade Kuemper?

The Avs won’t be looking to upgrade Grubauer. They’ll be looking the add to Grubauer for a better and more dependable tandem. Francouz has a great season but I think he definitely lost the respect in his locker room with those 3 games against Dallas.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Kuemper and Francouz is no more dependable than Grubauer and Francouz. Remember Grubauer is a great goalie. The Avs issue isn’t that he is on the team. It’s that he got hurt. The same can happen to Kuemper and that puts the Avs back in the same situation they were in this year during the playoffs.

Plus I figured with Az clearly trying to cut dollars that Francouz makes more sense. Otherwise why would they even trade Kuemper?
Where did Colorado’s 1st end up landing in the draft order?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Don't want Francouz. He's not good enough to be the starter and Hill needs to be our backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad