2020 Cough-Season Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Nah. We're just broke. I did some digging on this last few weeks and I think it's more likely than not that our new owner's financial situation is dicey, certainly a big part due to COVID because also maybe buying the team might have been a stretch purchase for him to begin with. Plus maybe incompetence at hockey etc. No inside sources but I think more likely than not his financial situation isn't great.

Every org pays their people on time. Unless it doesn't have the money / has to move money around, neither of which is a good sign given NHL revenues will be down next year because no fans.

Happy to share more if anyone else is curious but this isn't the right thread

My wife does payroll for a living. I’m fully versed into the intricacies of this stuff. :)

But I think it’s safe to say things are chaotic at the moment.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think we’d be lucky to get the 1st for Kuemper, even if we eat Nilsson. I don’t know that we also get Brown.

It's a pretty late first. You guys have been talking about much more favorable trades.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's a pretty late first. You guys have been talking about much more favorable trades.
Rittich isn’t good but he’s not Nilsson. And that’s the 19th overall. Is Brown only worth the difference between from Nilsson to Rittich and a half dozen draft slots late in the 1st?

Grubauer is obviously the best of the three. But Colorado’s pick is pretty darn late, too. I still think Brown exceeds the delta.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I don’t know why Ottawa would even be interested in Kuemper. Seems more like a win now team that is lacking a goalie like Colorado, Carolina, or Calgary would be the trade targets.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Rittich isn’t good but he’s not Nilsson. And that’s the 19th overall. Is Brown only worth the difference between from Nilsson to Rittich and a half dozen draft slots late in the 1st?

Grubauer is obviously the best of the three. But Colorado’s pick is pretty darn late, too. I still think Brown exceeds the delta.

They have 8 other top 90 picks if they trade that one plus Norris, Batherson, Kastelic. Brown is 22 and has shown very little in the NHL. Pretty decent chance he's 5th on the depth chart or lower after the draft. 1st round pick value falls off a cliff once you're out of the teens as well.

I don’t know why Ottawa would even be interested in Kuemper. Seems more like a win now team that is lacking a goalie like Colorado, Carolina, or Calgary would be the trade targets.

This is is where I'm at. But they were surprisingly plucky last year. An elite goalie could buoy them and put them into the playoffs.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That’s how I see it. Sens are only better than Detroit in their division. If everything goes perfect maybe better than Buffalo and Montreal. Kuemper could catapult them even higher in the standings.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Even with Bobby Ryan and Chabot's raise and even if you sign Duclair, Brown, and Tierney, Ottawa will struggle to hit the floor without the Hossa contract or something like it. They have too many ELCs at once.

I think Stepan at $2m in real dollars but 6.5m hit is pretty appealing to them. They need RD too so it might be a landing spot for Demers.

Even if you don't swap goalies there's some intriguing stuff there.

rt

May 13, 2004
Even with Bobby Ryan and Chabot's raise and even if you sign Duclair, Brown, and Tierney, Ottawa will struggle to hit the floor without the Hossa contract or something like it. They have too many ELCs at once.

I think Stepan at $2m in real dollars but 6.5m hit is pretty appealing to them. They need RD too so it might be a landing spot for Demers.

Even if you don't swap goalies there's some intriguing stuff there.
Wonder if Ottawa would be willing to do Tierney for Stepan if Tierney is looking for 2yrs, 4.5 cash each year. They save cash, we save cap.

If they want Kuemper, perhaps the Nilsson dump gets us the NYI 1st and a “+” of some kind like XX mentioned. Maybe that’s Brown or a 2nd or a 3rd, I don’t know what’s fair. Maybe it’s Brown if we add Fischer?

Kuemper, Stepan, Hossa and Fischer for Tierney, Brown, Nilsson and the NYI 1st?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wonder if Ottawa would be willing to do Tierney for Stepan if Tierney is looking for 2yrs, 4.5 cash each year. They save cash, we save cap.

I don't think they want to pay Tierney 4m+ to be their 3C. Plus they have at least Stutzle and probably Rossi too coming in, I'd wager, on top of all their other depth. They have a major bandwidth problem. Too many picks and young players, not enough AAV. Good problem to have if you're anyone but Melnyk.

They want guys like Batherson, Formenton, Braanstrom, Norris in the NHL next year. Probably Stutzle too, at least.

Abramov and Brown look like the odd guys out to me. Just no room anymore.

They could blow the doors off someone in UFA or pool those chips into a big ticket but that doesn't seem likely.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
So, hypothetically, let’s say Hall signs. I know it’s unlikely. For arguments sake, let’s say it’s 8 years, 8.5 mil.

who does AZ need to drop this offseason to make it happen? Let’s say OEL nixes any move this offseason.

Does moving Hammer, Raanta, Grabner and Stepan allow them to keep the rest of the team or do more players need to go?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Does moving Hammer, Raanta, Grabner and Stepan allow them to keep the rest of the team or do more players need to go?

At a minimum you need to ditch Raanta for Hill and move either Goose or Hammer without taking money back. If you move the latter and bring in Soderstrom, you can fit Hall at 8.5m with a 4th line of Bunting-Steenbergen-Fasching.

Fischer and Hino would be gone.

rt

May 13, 2004
1. To EDM
OEL

To ARI
Nurse
'20 1st
--
2. To COL
Kuemper

To ARI
Grubauer
'20 1st
--
3. To OTT
Raanta

To ARI
Nilsson
'20 3rd
--
4.To FLA
Kessel

To ARI
Yandle
--
5.To TOR
Hjalmarsson

To ARI
'20 2nd

^ Saves 11 million in capspace
& Adds 2x'20Firsts, 1x'20Second, and 1x'20Third.

OEL --> Yandle
Kuemper --> Grubauer
Kessel --> Hall
Hjalmarsson --> Nurse
Raanta --> Hill

Hall-Dvorak-Schmaltz
Keller-Hayton-Garland
Crouse-Stepan-Hinostroza
Grabner-Richardson-Fischer

Chychrun-Goligoski
Nurse-Soderstrom
Yandle-Demers
Oesterle-Lyubushkin

Grubauer
Hill

LTIR
Hossa
Nilsson

TDL Tradebait:
Stepan
Grabner
Richardson
Goligoski
Yandle
Demers
Oesterle
Grubauer

Reactions: PuckLife

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I really don't see Hjalmarsson waiving his NMC for a Canadian market, especially Toronto. He's a reserved guy, he's not going to that circus. He rejected a trade to a Canadian market previously (while with Chicago) and I imagine he may still feel the same today.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
TDL Tradebait:
Stepan
Grabner
Richardson
Goligoski
Yandle
Demers
Oesterle
Grubauer

I don't want to carry that much forward.

Gut reactions:
Kuemper, Hjalmarsson for Francouz, Compher or Donskoi, Zadorov, 2020 1st

Schmaltz for Alzner, 2nd, 3rd

Kessel 50% for Shaw, Smith, 2nd

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Where's the value in the Schmaltz trade? You can probably negate Alzner's contract with the 2nd, so that's basically Schmaltz for a 3rd??

Kessel deal sounds good. I'd probably do the second Colorado deal though I don't like Donskoi's contract.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Where's the value in the Schmaltz trade? You can probably negate Alzner's contract with the 2nd, so that's basically Schmaltz for a 3rd??

Kessel deal sounds good. I'd probably do the second Colorado deal though I don't like Donskoi's contract.

Using it to sign someone else to be the 2RW, probably Namestnikov. Tired of Schmaltz and his lack of shooting. The Alzner contract is of no consequence to the lineup after all these moves so I just moved Schmaltz out for quick draft capital.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Fair. I'm all for reinvesting the Schmaltz money but I think we could at least get a usable asset in return.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Fair. I'm all for reinvesting the Schmaltz money but I think we could at least get a usable asset in return.

I'm sure you could have Poehling instead of the third, but I'd rather have the pick. And I didn't want anything off their main roster. Could take Ylonen or Hillis instead.

I basically rebuilt Domi's Knights using already proposed stuff.

Domi - Dvorak - Namestnikov
Keller - Hayton - Garland
McCann - Tierney - Shaw
Crouse - Compher - J.Anderson
Z.Smith

Chychrun - Demers
Oesterle - Zadorov
Mete
- Soderstrom
Capo

Fracouz
Nilsson

Could take Maatta from the Hawks for Oesterle to really up the London vibes. If Shaw can't return it's whatever.

Came out to $77m with Alzner buried. $65m the next year with just Garland to pay, $45m the year after with Hayton and Soderstrom to pay.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Curious what you gave up for Anderson? I don’t see Fischer and Hino there so maybe those guys?

I like seeing Capo there. He’s basically point per game in Tucson. He’s ready to go. He needs to play in Glendale next season even if just rotating in.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Curious what you gave up for Anderson? I don’t see Fischer and Hino there so maybe those guys?

Yeah, those two. Nice change of scenery trade. Also completely blew up the Chicago youth group but that wasn't my intention.

I like seeing Capo there. He’s basically point per game in Tucson. He’s ready to go. He needs to play in Glendale next season even if just rotating in.

I just realized Scott Harrington was on those teams and is in Columbus. Could trade for him :sarcasm:

Ended up with 5 top 90 picks between the trades.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hey guys. Avs fan here. How does this look value/needs wise for you? We can tinker with it. Looking for suggestions.

Francouz
Donskoi
1st round pick

for

Kuemper
Demers

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hey guys. Avs fan here. How does this look value/needs wise for you? We can tinker with it. Looking for suggestions.

Francouz
Donskoi
1st round pick

for

Kuemper
Demers
You would need to add Newhook.

Sounds like the asking price for Keumper alone is an A prospect and a 1st. We would have little interest in Danskoi.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Sounds like the asking price for Keumper alone is an A prospect and a 1st. We would have little interest in Danskoi.
I don't think Keumper is leaving and if he does I find it highly unlikely anyone is giving you a grade A prospect and a 1st round pick for 2 years of goalie with the level of guys available this year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Alex Newhook? That won’t happen.

Donskoi is mostly there for contract purposes. Could be Compher instead. But if Alex Newhook is part of what it takes you can count Colorado very out on Darcy Kuemper.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think Keumper is leaving and if he does I find it highly unlikely anyone is giving you a grade A prospect and a 1st round pick for 2 years of goalie with the level of guys available this year.
You are likely right. But if we did go down that route he’s getting at least a first (and there are other teams with a better 1st than Colorado who are also interested ) as part of a package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad