2020 Champions League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ter Stegen's problem is that most people in Germany don't see him play regularly, so their opinion of him is strongly biased towards the view established early in his career - talented but not 100% reliable.

It's a huge risk for goalkeepers in particular to leave the BuLi because of that factor. Out of sight, out of mind. Going to Barca allowed him to play in a CL final etc. but his standing in Germany would probably be greater if he had been with Dortmund that whole time.

You are probably right, but I don't even think it's that with the pattern of criticism from the Bayern hierarchy. I think they just don't want to admit that another German keeper is on the level of Neuer. It's not like these two have now both criticized Rudiger or Sane (prior to signing for Bayern). They criticized a player who directly threatens the starting position with the National Team of a Bayern legend.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Injuries, form,Psg's other CL failures. It makes sense how no one is confident. I personally see it going either way.

Did PSG not put in a great performance in their last UCL knockout round game? Exactly the type of game many people expected them to not put in a good performance, and they dominated. I think the past CL failures stuff is a thing of the past.

And the injuries are over-discussed. Their back ups are more talented than Atalanta's starters. How many injuries do they really have anyway? It seems like its mostly only Mbappe.

How is form an issue? They've lost 1 of their last 29 games. You have to go all the way back to November 1st to find a second loss. I think a lot aren't aware that PSG was probably the most consistent team in Europe, considering all competitions, during the 2019-20 season. Liverpool might've been more impressive in league competition and Bayern more impressive in UCL competition, but PSG has had the best combination of all competitions form.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't know why so many are picking Atalanta. PSG is a clear better team. 3-1.
Just last year, they lost to a broken Utd team that played Chong, Peirera, a 17 yr old Mason Greenwood, Ashley Young and Dalot.

One of the most embarrassing knockouts in recent memory.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Like said earlier, PSG are missing vital players in all important areas. Even without Ilicic, Atalanta are much more settled side. PSG hasn't played a good game since restart and are lacking in creativity.

Reactions: Cassano

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Ander Herrera will replace Verratti in the lineup. Kehrer and Bernat will start without having played a competitive game in 4 months. Marqui in midfield, Thiago Silva/Kimpembe at CB and Mbappe on the bench, maybe for a late appearance if the match isn't turning right.

Tuchel mentioned pre-game that Mbappe is able to play 30 mins at most.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Did PSG not put in a great performance in their last UCL knockout round game? Exactly the type of game many people expected them to not put in a good performance, and they dominated. I think the past CL failures stuff is a thing of the past.

And the injuries are over-discussed. Their back ups are more talented than Atalanta's starters. How many injuries do they really have anyway? It seems like its mostly only Mbappe.

How is form an issue? They've lost 1 of their last 29 games. You have to go all the way back to November 1st to find a second loss. I think a lot aren't aware that PSG was probably the most consistent team in Europe, considering all competitions, during the 2019-20 season. Liverpool might've been more impressive in league competition and Bayern more impressive in UCL competition, but PSG has had the best combination of all competitions form.
THat was months ago. I dont necessarily disagree with the rest but I could see why people are hesitant.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Neymars on the bong for sure. One of the worst plays I've seen recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad