2020 Champions League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
If an attacker prepared a shot on goal and a defenseman came from behind to put his foot in front of the forward's foot (without touching the ball), who would get called for a foul? The defenseman or the striker ?
It's beyond obvious.
It's the same here. Messi made the foul not the other way around.

First goal was obviously a foul.
Messi' disallowed goal should have stood as I said but 30 seconds before there was a penalty not called for Napoli.

Messi at that point has stolen the ball from Koulibaly, and if he doesn't touch the ball is solely by the fact that Koulibaly has launched Messi's leg into the stands.

If that's Joe Gomez kicking Mbappe you would be singing a different song.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
3rd goal they said it was handball, tbh I didn't see it

The Messi/Koulibaly thing shouldn't even be up for discussion. Messi was a fraction of a second quicker and surprised Koulibaly who kicked his leg. Doesn't matter if there was no intention, it's a foul.
Again if it was a defenseman on an attacker you wouldn't even have a doubt the other way around.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Messi at that point has stolen the ball from Koulibaly, and if he doesn't touch the ball is solely by the fact that Koulibaly has launched Messi's leg into the stands.

If that's Joe Gomez kicking Mbappe you would be singing a different song.
How has he stolen the ball without touching it?
Well he didn't.
Gomez/Mbappe? WTF does he have to do with anything? Because you're a Barca fan? :facepalm:

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So Monchu hasn't put in work? The right answer is they all should have played, simple as that.

To say Firpo has never had a good match... but to say he should never play again? We don't have a backup for Alba.

Agreed, the less said the better.

Like I said give him a run out but Puig/Fati definitely deserve minutes. Firpo is ass, it's our stupidity that causes us not to have a LB. I can think of at least one who can easily provide cover for Alba. He's in Getafe now.

Not surprised.
You guys are so used to it, it's business as usual.
You don't even understand the problem.

Yup business as usual agreed.

How has he stolen the ball without touching it?
Well he didn't.
Gomez/Mbappe? WTF does he have to do with anything? Because you're a Barca fan? :facepalm:

If Kou doesnt hit Messi... Lio is in on 1v1 with the keeper. Pretty clear to see.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Yeah I struggle to see if and where Messi actually fouls him. Like I said he was just quicker, and put his foot in front of Koulibaly who proceeded to kick him. It's unfortunate for him but Messi didn't do anything wrong.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Again, just use your brains and imagine it being a defenseman in front of an attacker shooting the ball. The defenseman would be called for a foul 100% of the time. This is also true the other way around.
If Messi had taken the ball away yes, but here Koulibaly was in control of the ball and Messi didn't touch it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Two Atletico players have tested positive for COVID. It is now very possible they will be booted from play, and I don't think the tournament will be delayed again.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The two were in the “traveling group”. Does that mean they are already in the bubble? If the bubble is compromised, that is very bad

no they haven’t left yet. The statement said tests were conducted at their training ground. This was pre-departure testing. Everyone gets re-tested tomorrow.

Reactions: Savant

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Wow, people are actually complaining about the refs in the Barça match? Sounds like they didn't see the match or they have an agenda.

The Lenglet goal for me is the one that could have been taken back. I didn't look at it much because in the broadcast I had Keown said the player took down his own teammate. However Lenglet does push I think it was Mertens. When I had a second look Mertens has his arms around Lenglet initially and then goes to grab his arm. Anyway, I think a lot goes unpunished on those sorts of plays, but I'd have been fine had that goal not stood.

Messi's play that led to the penalty shouldn't be up for debate. Really laughable it is. He beat Koulibaly to the ball and got kicked as a result.

Messi's disallowed goal should have stood. Initially I thought he handled the ball based on the replays, but then they showed another angle where he clearly did not. And that was reviewed too, so people shouldn't bitch about the refs favoring us in this one on that alone.

As for any Napoli penalty, the play I remember was a clear case of the attacker embellishing and that was after he ran into the defender.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It already was in question imo when you have players not playing for their team due to an upcoming transfer. That is just me though.
That's happened before though. Right before a final too. This is a whole team being disqualified for reasons beyond them. Unheard of.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think it's fine as Atleti aren't going to win the competition anyway. :sarcasm:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
That's happened before though. Right before a final too. This is a whole team being disqualified for reasons beyond them. Unheard of.
Im not sure. Gotze didnt play in the final against Bayern cause he got injured in Madrid, not because he was moving there. I guess it could have happened before, but contracts runout/go through on 6/30 or 7/1. The Champions League has never been played later than those dates before. The entire thing is questionable imo. But it is matches we get to watch for another couple weeks.

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
UEFA had said that test results would be known at least 6 hours before a match, so if most Atletico players are still negative by Thursday afternoon they would be able to play.
9am Eastern time

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Wow, people are actually complaining about the refs in the Barça match? Sounds like they didn't see the match or they have an agenda.

The Lenglet goal for me is the one that could have been taken back. I didn't look at it much because in the broadcast I had Keown said the player took down his own teammate. However Lenglet does push I think it was Mertens. When I had a second look Mertens has his arms around Lenglet initially and then goes to grab his arm. Anyway, I think a lot goes unpunished on those sorts of plays, but I'd have been fine had that goal not stood.

Messi's play that led to the penalty shouldn't be up for debate. Really laughable it is. He beat Koulibaly to the ball and got kicked as a result.

Messi's disallowed goal should have stood. Initially I thought he handled the ball based on the replays, but then they showed another angle where he clearly did not. And that was reviewed too, so people shouldn't bitch about the refs favoring us in this one on that alone.

As for any Napoli penalty, the play I remember was a clear case of the attacker embellishing and that was after he ran into the defender.
1/ It was a clear push by Lenglet. Easy call, especially with VAR. Fact ref didn't call it back AFTER VAR shows the agenda indeed.
2/ "Beat to the ball"? He didn't TOUCH the ball. Now every defenseman will hve a free pass to put their foot in front of an attacker shooting. They won't even need to tackle the ball. Great.
3/ Messi's goal should have stood, I already said it 5 times.
4/ Not that penalty. The penalty I'm talking about is 30 seconds BEFORE Messi's disallowed goal. A Barca player tackled the ball in his own box and handed the ball.

And even with all that Messi refused to shake the ref's hand at the end of the game. I mean he didn't get 4 penalty calls, so it's furstrating for him.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
1/ It was a clear push by Lenglet. Easy call, especially with VAR. Fact ref didn't call it back AFTER VAR shows the agenda indeed.
2/ "Beat to the ball"? He didn't TOUCH the ball. Now every defenseman will hve a free pass to put their foot in front of an attacker shooting. They won't even need to tackle the ball. Great.
3/ Messi's goal should have stood, I already said it 5 times.
4/ Not that penalty. The penalty I'm talking about is 30 seconds BEFORE Messi's disallowed goal. A Barca player tackled the ball in his own box and handed the ball.

And even with all that Messi refused to shake the ref's hand at the end of the game. I mean he didn't get 4 penalty calls, so it's furstrating for him.

1 Like I said, other player's arms were wrapped around him and then he went to pull his arm. Regardless, see this in the box all the time and it isn't called. Furthermore, if the "AFTER VAR shows the agenda" then how come Messi's goal was called back AFTER VAR and after it was reviewed for a lot longer?
2 Irrelevant. He was kicked from behind.
3 Congratulations.
4 There's no "not that penalty" because what I was referring to wasn't a penalty. As for what you're referring to, go ahead and post a clip. Kicking the ball isn't a penalty though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad