WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Why are we forcing McIsaac onto the top pair and Smith onto his off-side...the idiocy legitimately hurts.

McIsaac is pretty good, and already fully recovered it seems (not to mention he’s a returning 19 year old, which TC seems to favour heavily). If smith can play the right side nearly as well as the left, it could work.

That said I agree, would much rather have Smith on the left. Ideal top 4 for me would be:

Smith-Dobson
McIsaac-JBD

With Byram anchoring the third pairing.

Reactions: Dominance

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Addison is a better player than Drysdale and Smith plays his off side pretty often in Spokane so that's not a big deal. Top 4 should be Byram-JBD and McIsaac-Smith with Bahl-Addison a good mix for the 3rd pair. Still have no clue how they could bring Drysdale over Harley

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Addison is a better player than Drysdale and Smith plays his off side pretty often in Spokane so that's not a big deal. Top 4 should be Byram-JBD and McIsaac-Smith with Bahl-Addison a good mix for the 3rd pair. Still have no clue how they could bring Drysdale over Harley
That'll be more than justified once we get Dobson ;)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Still doesnt change the fact that he doesnt compete hard and doesnt create alot on his own. Great point accumulator in the OHL on a team that plays an all out attacking system doesnt mean it will translate at the highest level. Foote has shown alot more, better finisher and a way higher compete level.

Captain who has played all forward positions and played 29 minutes on the blueline for Niagara when two of their regular defensemen were out.

Sounds like a real loafer.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Why are we forcing McIsaac onto the top pair and Smith onto his off-side...the idiocy legitimately hurts.

Not sure how much you've seen these guys but I dont get how you can call that idiocy. Pretty sure Smith plays his offside a fair amount in junior for starters, so it would make sense to move him over out of anyone. McIsaac is a returning player who has pretty much always worn a letter for this age group and had a dominant season last year. Its not like any of the other D are clearly ahead of him. Bahl doesnt have the offense he has and JBD doesnt play defensively like he does. Hes the most jack of all trades dman back there for this team so having him handle a lot of minutes makes sense.

The top 4 is going to be a combo of Smith, Mcisaac, JBD and Bahl/Byram . Drysdale and Addison are going to be a long for the ride. I dont know how you can look at those pairings and think theyre idiotic given what the other options would be. FOr the record if youve been following along, theyve been switching the D pairings almost daily to see what works so I wouldnt get too worked up about th epairings just yet either

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Captain who has played all forward positions and played 29 minutes on the blueline for Niagara when two of their regular defensemen were out.

Sounds like a real loafer.

Is he the coach controlling his own icetime too? Or are players running the show? He is a good OHL player, I didnt debate that he just isnt an elite player when it comes to team Canada at the WJC level.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Is he the coach controlling his own icetime too? Or are players running the show? He is a good OHL player, I didnt debate that he just isnt an elite player when it comes to team Canada at the WJC level.

You said he doesn't compete hard or create his own chances, and is a point accumulator.

He's a hard working utility player with a great deal of speed.

How he translates that to the next level is certainly debatable. I can even understand saying he's not elite. I just strongly disagree with the assertion he doesn't compete hard or create chances on his own.

Reactions: Vijo Morganstein

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Lafreniere-Hayton-Thomas was my preferred top line since the summer, and I agree with you about Foote being a questionable pick for that spot.

Thomas makes more sense than Foote on the top line for so many reasons. He’s more skilled, he’s a better passer and finisher, he’s right handed, he’s a better skater (important on big ice) and has much more experience playing on the right wing (also he succeeded there at the summer showcase). All of Foote’s best showings have come on the left wing. Hopefully he can adjust quickly or Canada is going to have a slow start in a brutal group.

Yeah. I'm not really the biggest fan of Thomas. Just hasn't ever really impressed me watching him and i think his production is pretty inflated. But I do think he probably makes more sense on that top line wing than Foote. But Foote brings an element that Hunter seems to like on a skilled top line. That "big body presence" - TM Pierre McGuire probably. There is something to be said for that element, if the chemistry works though. And realistically...Thomas is a bit of a "puck on his stick" player...on a line where you're probably gonna want Lafreniere and Hayton doing most of the puckhandling. Sometimes a good "fit" on a line, is in what a guy doesn't do...as much as what they do.

Bahl is here because he is the best defensive D man on the team and he plays both sides. Not hard to figure out if you watch him, which apparently no one has on HF.

I mean, Bahl is fine. But he just doesn't really stand out to me the way he apparently does to you. Lots of defencemen they brought to camp (and some they didn't) are good defenders and can play both sides.

Like i said, it's really more the Addison thing that's a bit strange to me. Just kinda comes in conjunction with taking Bahl as well. It's a kinda odd duo to me.

Foudy-Dellandrea-Dudas will give other teams absolute fits. In terms of choppiness I'm guessing they'll be reminiscent of Della Rovere-Cormier-Kane from 2009

Yeah. I could see that being a real, honest to goodness "energy" line like that. But faster than those guys, if a bit less beefy.

Yeah. Not at all worried about Smith on his off side. He'll be fine.

Taking Drysdale is still a good call imo. It's just bizarre that they're apparently using him on the PK, and not the PP. Especially as a 17 year old, that's a lot of apparent trust that isn't typical of these teams. He'll probably be fine, because he's so talented and smart...but it's weird. It's why i don't really get bringing Addison. Drysdale is basically just a better version of the roles that i'd expect Addison to play.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I like Bahl, not a flashy player but very effective. Plus he's so damn big that he is tough to play against. That can't be over looked. Lots of good players out there but maybe not all of them are hard to play. Throw in the physical element anfd yikes.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I like Bahl, not a flashy player but very effective. Plus he's so damn big that he is tough to play against. That can't be over looked. Lots of good players out there but maybe not all of them are hard to play. Throw in the physical element anfd yikes.
This is hockey. On defense you still need a big dude with a crazy reach, capable of slamming you into ground at any given moment. Plus Bahl can skate and isn't without some talent. You just can't win without at least one of these guys. He'll be a fine addition.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Special teams from practice:

I'm surprised that they are using Drysdale on the PK as a 17 year old.

Even I’m surprised to see Addison on the top powerplay unit, and I had him making the team and am a bigger supporter than most, judging by this thread.

I thought that was Smith’s spot to lose.

Only question is, where does Veleno fit in? If they had someone like Groulx on the top PP, it would be obvious. With the current setup, it’s harder to tell.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Even I’m surprised to see Addison on the top powerplay unit, and I had him making the team and am a bigger supporter than most, judging by this thread.

I thought that was Smith’s spot to lose.

Only question is, where does Veleno fit in? If they had someone like Groulx on the top PP, it would be obvious. With the current setup, it’s harder to tell.
I’d presume Lavoie out and probably to Mercer’s spot on the third PK forward pair.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
fine. but he better not be a scratch from now until Jan.6. otherwise I'll be aiming blueice turd chucks the NYI's practice rink as I fly over heading to my winter escape in sunny Florida at the end of January.

Nick Leddy has been dealing with a lower body injury all season and it opened the door for Dobson to get more game action than anticipated up to this point. Thomas Hickey hasn't been healthy all season so there is no real backup if Dobson is gone for a couple of weeks. I can understand the reasons for not releasing him.

Wahlstrom was released because Ho-Sang is rejoining Bridgeport.

Good luck to you guys though, I will now be rooting for Team USA so I hope they kick your asses. :)

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Nick Leddy has been dealing with a lower body injury all season and it opened the door for Dobson to get more game action than anticipated up to this point. Thomas Hickey hasn't been healthy all season so there is no real backup if Dobson is gone for a couple of weeks. I can understand the reasons for not releasing him.

Good luck to you guys though, I will now be rooting for Team USA so I hope they kick your asses. :)
It's a big loss but I can understand why lou did not release him as the isles need him right now.

Reactions: PWJunior

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

Right back at you PW. You can have my first born if the red white and blue win this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad