WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Noah Dobson looks to be in the Isles lineup for his 10th game of the season, burning year one of his ELC. Could mean nothing in terms of the WJ's, could mean something. Leddy needs to get healthy!

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
What does Lavoie bring to the table on a consistent basis, again? I don't understand choosing him over Newhook, or Krebs, though I'll admit that I haven't seen the latter play since he came back from injury.

I've seen Lavoie make some brilliant plays, but then he'll disappear for long stretches.
I’ve been able to watch Lavoie more than most. When the rest of the team isn’t scoring he does. He’s huge and mobile. Can get a hard accurate shot off with his body contorted in knots. Keeps the opposition honest with his forecheck and hacks slashes his man on the back check slowing the play. Makes defencemen uncomfortable on the PK. One slow or inaccurate pass and he’s off to the races. Maybe the best one timer from the top of the circle that a Canadian team has had in a while on the power play. Great retrieval in the corners. The better the rival the stronger his game. He’s always scored internationally. He’s played with the best in Canada and doesn’t look out of place or in over his head. Most of all he’s easily coached and does what he’s asked in all situations. Has fortunately had some very good coaching. IS HUMBLE A GREAT TEAMMATE AND WON’T PUT HIMSELF ABOVE THE TEAM.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
No Dach. It’s tough, but the offence is still stacked. Veleno loses the guy he had good chemistry with. The team will deal with that.

Dobson is more important for this team, as is one of these questionable goaltenders becoming dependable when it counts.

Reactions: Wings4Life

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
To bad about Dach, but the centre group is still very strong. Dach with Lafreniere would have been insane though.

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
Hunter sure likes Dudas. We see Owen Sound lots and they always have a character team. He is skilled and a hard working guy.
Yeah I was high on him in his draft year (higher on Thomas though). I think Thomas provides skill which isn't lacking on the roster though, his value comes from being a RHS which the team is sorely lacking up front.

I'm sure Dudas will play well, but I think better players were left behind

Reactions: Noofgoof

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah I was high on him in his draft year (higher on Thomas though). I think Thomas provides skill which isn't lacking on the roster though, his value comes from being a RHS which the team is sorely lacking up front.

I'm sure Dudas will play well, but I think better players were left behind
better in what sense ? Is it about picking purely on skill or is it about winning? If you want to win you need everyone in different roles. Good attitudes. We need that Gold!

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
better in what sense ? Is it about picking purely on skill or is it about winning? If you want to win you need everyone in different roles. Good attitudes. We need that Gold!
Agreed, I recognize the value of having different kinds of players in the lineup, but I think we have that with guys like Foudy, Dellandrea, Foote, and I'd rather take a guy like Newhook with more dynamic skating and skill than a guy like Dudas

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Why would the 10th game matter? Not that I think he will or won't be released...but unless they are planning to send him back to junior his number of games is kind of irrelevant no?

I felt like the Isles were keeping their options open by keeping his games under 10 so they could send him to the WJC and still not have to make a decision to burn an ELC season until the last moment. Leddy being injured took care of that.

Now that it is officially his rookie season and as the established #7D that can play both sides, I don't see a reason to send him now. Just my hunch.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
https://www.tsn.ca/barrett-hayton-e...rn-to-team-canada-for-world-juniors-1.1413192

Apparently these were the lines at practice today:

Lafreniere Hayton Foote
Byfield Groulx Cozens
Foudy Dellandrea Mercer
McMichael Thomas Lavoie

McIsaac Smith
Bahl Bernard-Docker
Byram Addison
Drysdale

I think that Mercer is the one in danger if Dudas is healthy.

Good call by Hunter to move Lafreniere to Hayton’s line. A move I and others on here called for since the WJSS. Also one that will rub Veleno fans the wrong way for sure.

Nolan Foote sticks out like a sore thumb in that top 6 though. He’s on his weaker side and he’s also simply not as good as these other guys. I’d swap him for Akil Thomas who is older, more experienced, faster, and better. Groulx can take over for Thomas on line 4 when Veleno returns, and Foote can relieve Mercer on the third line.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nolan Foote sticks out like a sore thumb in that top 6 though. He’s on his weaker side and he’s also simply not as good as these other guys. I’d swap him for Akil Thomas who is older, more experienced, faster, and better. Groulx can take over for Thomas on line 4 when Veleno returns, and Foote can relieve Mercer on the third line.

It's like Hockey Canada has some sort of Foote fetish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->