Dellandrea-Foudy
Hayton-Dudas
Veleno-Groulx

Bahl-JBD
McIsaac-Dobson

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Seems odd to me that Beckman didn’t get even an invite to the preliminary roster when he’s having a better season that any of cozens, Foote, krebs in the WHL all while being an 18 year old all season

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Lafreniere-Hayton-Cozens
Foote-Byfield-McMichael
Groulx-Veleno-Thomas
Foudy-Dellandrea-Lavoie
Dudas

Smith-Dobson
Bahl-JBD
Byram-McIsaac
Drysdale

PP1:

Foote
Lafreniere-Veleno-Hayton
Byram

PP2:

Byfield
McMichael-Thomas-Cozens
Drysdale

PK:

Dellandrea-Foudy
Hayton-Dudas
Veleno-Groulx

Bahl-JBD
McIsaac-Dobson

I have a hard time seeing Lavoie on a 4th line and Groulx on a 3rd. I think Lavoie has more to offer a middle 6. Groulx on a shutdown line if they choose to deploy one.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Lafreniere-Hayton-Cozens
Foote-Byfield-McMichael
Groulx-Veleno-Thomas
Foudy-Dellandrea-Lavoie
Dudas

Smith-Dobson
Bahl-JBD
Byram-McIsaac
Drysdale

PP1:

Foote
Lafreniere-Veleno-Hayton
Byram

PP2:

Byfield
McMichael-Thomas-Cozens
Drysdale

PK:

Dellandrea-Foudy
Hayton-Dudas
Veleno-Groulx

Bahl-JBD
McIsaac-Dobson
Smith played PP last year and was CHL defensemen of the year on the basis of his offense...why wouldn't he be on the PP?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What does Lavoie bring to the table on a consistent basis, again? I don't understand choosing him over Newhook, or Krebs, though I'll admit that I haven't seen the latter play since he came back from injury.

I've seen Lavoie make some brilliant plays, but then he'll disappear for long stretches.

I think the idea is that he's a big body with a gamebreaking shot, who could play any position up front if he needed to...and he's useful at evens, but also on either ST Unit. I'd take him. If he feels like he's only going to go hard in 1 in 4 shifts, you only play him intermittently, which his place in the depth chart suggests is probably likely anyway. He's also been more consistent for TC in my estimation. A tournament like this is usually enough to get a guy like that fired up and ready to skate.

That said...Krebs and Newhook would've also definitely been in my lineup for this. I don't really know why they chose others over them. Krebs i can kinda get, if he just didn't look right, and they've made mistakes in the past bringing players coming off injury who aren't totally up to speed. The wariness isn't undeserved...but he's such a good versatile player and leader, i would've at the very least...taken him as my "spare".

Lafrenière - Hayton - Foote
Byfield - Groulx - Cozens
Foudy - Dellandrea - Mercer
McMichael - Thomas - Lavoie

McIsaac - Smith
Bahl - Bernard-Docker
Byram - Addison
Drysdale

Those were the lines at practice today.

Have to think that Groulx is getting bumped out of the lineup once Veleno arrives.

It's always almost impossible to read, but i think from that, maybe it's Thomas getting the boot. That "4th line" looks like the placeholder to me. Slot Veleno into that Thomas spot, bump that line up to 2nd or 3rd, and it makes a lot more sense. It's the "3rd line" there, that reminds me of what we usually take as an "energy line" of spare parts and utility knives with tons of speed and PK ability.

Lafreniere-Hayton-Foote
McMichael-Veleno-Lavoie
Byfield-Groulx-Cozens
Foudy-Dellandrea-Mercer/Dudas

makes some sense to me, more than the current form.

I still don't like Foote on the "top line", but it's definitely something Hunter would do, and it might not be the worst thing to have a bit of a grinder and space eater while those other two do their thing.

Veleno between McMichael and Lavoie would make a ton of sense to me. And i can see why they'd want to take Byfield...but kinda "shelter" him with a pair of older, responsible linemates who have both shown they can keep up with skill.

Taking both Bahl and Addison on the defence is the part i'm more concerned with. You're already got some solid defensive guys, and players who are used to big minutes against other top players at this level. Do you really need Bahl if you've already got those guys? Addison is the one that really gets me though...like he's basically Drysdale, but older and less impressive. How many of that player do you need? Or did you just bring Addison in case Drysdale crumbles because he's young (which i can't see him doing)?

Reactions: Dominance

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Man if Foote takes that top right wing spot I’m going to be mighty disappointed. If it’s Lafreniere and Hayton up there I’d love to see Thomas get a look. Right shot with good playmaking ability seems like a natural fit.

Byfeild - Veleno - Cozens looks good to me as a second line, though I’d like to have Byfeild stick at centre.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Thomas has been bolstered by a strong pp in Niagra.
Hunters are not smart.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Man if Foote takes that top right wing spot I’m going to be mighty disappointed. If it’s Lafreniere and Hayton up there I’d love to see Thomas get a look. Right shot with good playmaking ability seems like a natural fit.

Byfeild - Veleno - Cozens looks good to me as a second line, though I’d like to have Byfeild stick at centre.

Lafreniere-Hayton-Thomas was my preferred top line since the summer, and I agree with you about Foote being a questionable pick for that spot.

Thomas makes more sense than Foote on the top line for so many reasons. He’s more skilled, he’s a better passer and finisher, he’s right handed, he’s a better skater (important on big ice) and has much more experience playing on the right wing (also he succeeded there at the summer showcase). All of Foote’s best showings have come on the left wing. Hopefully he can adjust quickly or Canada is going to have a slow start in a brutal group.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Can someone tell me why, instead of having games back to back to back (to back), they've just doubled up on games at 9am and 1pm (EST)?
European host. Probably didnt put any consideration into TV viewing seeing as they have Canada USA and Finland Sweden at the same time and then really no big match ups on the 31st.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
European host. Probably didnt put any consideration into TV viewing seeing as they have Canada USA and Finland Sweden at the same time and then really no big match ups on the 31st.

I am really looking forward to this tournament being back in Europe for a change, but having arguably the two biggest games of the tournament played at the same time, on the opening day (with no chance to really build anticipation) is just really dumb planning on the part of the organizers.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think the idea is that he's a big body with a gamebreaking shot, who could play any position up front if he needed to...and he's useful at evens, but also on either ST Unit. I'd take him. If he feels like he's only going to go hard in 1 in 4 shifts, you only play him intermittently, which his place in the depth chart suggests is probably likely anyway. He's also been more consistent for TC in my estimation. A tournament like this is usually enough to get a guy like that fired up and ready to skate.

That said...Krebs and Newhook would've also definitely been in my lineup for this. I don't really know why they chose others over them. Krebs i can kinda get, if he just didn't look right, and they've made mistakes in the past bringing players coming off injury who aren't totally up to speed. The wariness isn't undeserved...but he's such a good versatile player and leader, i would've at the very least...taken him as my "spare".

It's always almost impossible to read, but i think from that, maybe it's Thomas getting the boot. That "4th line" looks like the placeholder to me. Slot Veleno into that Thomas spot, bump that line up to 2nd or 3rd, and it makes a lot more sense. It's the "3rd line" there, that reminds me of what we usually take as an "energy line" of spare parts and utility knives with tons of speed and PK ability.

Lafreniere-Hayton-Foote
McMichael-Veleno-Lavoie
Byfield-Groulx-Cozens
Foudy-Dellandrea-Mercer/Dudas

makes some sense to me, more than the current form.

I still don't like Foote on the "top line", but it's definitely something Hunter would do, and it might not be the worst thing to have a bit of a grinder and space eater while those other two do their thing.

Veleno between McMichael and Lavoie would make a ton of sense to me. And i can see why they'd want to take Byfield...but kinda "shelter" him with a pair of older, responsible linemates who have both shown they can keep up with skill.

Taking both Bahl and Addison on the defence is the part i'm more concerned with. You're already got some solid defensive guys, and players who are used to big minutes against other top players at this level. Do you really need Bahl if you've already got those guys? Addison is the one that really gets me though...like he's basically Drysdale, but older and less impressive. How many of that player do you need? Or did you just bring Addison in case Drysdale crumbles because he's young (which i can't see him doing)?

Bahl is here because he is the best defensive D man on the team and he plays both sides. Not hard to figure out if you watch him, which apparently no one has on HF.

You realize Thomas was already a 100 point player in the OHL last year as an 18 year old (despite missing games), right?

Still doesnt change the fact that he doesnt compete hard and doesnt create alot on his own. Great point accumulator in the OHL on a team that plays an all out attacking system doesnt mean it will translate at the highest level. Foote has shown alot more, better finisher and a way higher compete level.

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I dont really have any issue with who they have as the top 4 but the construction of it is odd.
Smith-Bernard Docker
Mcisaac-Bahl
Is more what I thought made sense.
Just join me in praying for Dobson. Then we can shoot Addison into the sun (although we’ll probably take him over Drysdale for god knows what reason) and have a beautifully balanced defense, where all pairings can drive offence and defend:

Smith-Dobson
Byram-JBD
Bahl-McIsaac.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad