WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk Part II

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
Likely but if the Czechs upset Sweden, Canada becomes the highest seed remaining and play the lowest seed remaining, the Czechs.

Thanks. I think this is the first time they re-seed teams in the semis. I like it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Does anybody think Laf could be tournament MVP despite the games he missed?
He's been the best player on the ice for Canada.

Quite unlikely but if he goes off in the semifinal, like a four point game, it's possible. The IIHF gave Kuznetsov the MVP in 2012 and he only scored in two games, one of which was against Latvia.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just saw that Byram is leading Canada’s back end in TOI per game. I’m curious if anyone knows or knows where to find out who the last 18 year old blue liner was to do that for Canada.

19 year old’s always seem to run Canada’s blue line.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Just saw that Byram is leading Canada’s back end in TOI per game. I’m curious if anyone knows or knows where to find out who the last 18 year old blue liner was to do that for Canada.

19 year old’s always seem to run Canada’s blue line.

It may have been Smith last year. He had the most in the elimination game by far.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Do we have any idea when Canada plays next? Just hoping it's when I can watch.

J1mLahey

Jan 13, 2011
Toronto
Do we have any idea when Canada plays next? Just hoping it's when I can watch.

Its Saturday but trying to find out the time. I'm guessing that it might be the 1 EST game giving Sweden who was the 1 seed longer to rest before the back 2 back. But I'm not 100%

Reactions: PG Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Its Saturday but trying to find out the time. I'm guessing that it might be the 1 EST game giving Sweden who was the 1 seed longer to rest before the back 2 back. But I'm not 100%

Saturday was all I needed to hear! Awesome.

Reactions: J1mLahey

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Is it safe to say that McMichael has been one of the top 3 forwards this tournament, along with Hayton and Laf? I've really loved his game, he's been awesome

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Finland is definitely the easiest semi-final opponent. It's not a guaranteed win by any stretch but Canada couldn't realistically hope for a better path after the Russia game.

I'm also assuming that Foote won't be suspended for the armpit-shot that he was given a misconduct for, but it's difficult to be certain with the IIHF.

Is it safe to say that McMichael has been one of the top 3 forwards this tournament, along with Hayton and Laf? I've really loved his game, he's been awesome

I don't think so. Foote and Veleno have been good though they've missed time. Both Foudy and Cozens deserved the more prominent roles they've moved into. You can argue that McMichael is up there with them but I can't see him clearly ahead.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Finland is definitely the easiest semi-final opponent. It's not a guaranteed win by any stretch but Canada couldn't realistically hope for a better path after the Russia game.

I'm also assuming that Foote won't be suspended for the armpit-shot that he was given a misconduct for, but it's difficult to be certain with the IIHF.

Agreed. The game could go either way but Canada beat them 4-2 in the pre-tournament and that’s when they had Rasmus Kupari. Not to mention 5v5 Canada dominated. If Canada is on their game they should have a good shot to win but they cannot underestimate this Finnish team, it’s still pretty good.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Finland is definitely the easiest semi-final opponent. It's not a guaranteed win by any stretch but Canada couldn't realistically hope for a better path after the Russia game
Yeah Finland is the best semis matchup for us, but agreed that we can’t take them lightly. They just beat the Americans, who are just as strong as Canada IMO, and they took the Swedes to OT in the preliminary round. As usual they play great team D and work hard, they’re got a solid shot at grinding out a win against any team, including Canada.

Last edited:

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I wouldn't say that. Foudy, Foote, Veleno and Cozens have certainly played more important roles. McMichael has been coming on, so maybe this will change before everything is said and done.
Edit: see someone else put has up the same list before me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad