WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk Part II

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Might as well start the thread off with some news.

Mark Masters is reporting that Benoit-Olivier Groulx is the final forward cut for Team Canada.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Might as well start the thread off with some news.

Mark Masters is reporting that Benoit-Olivier Groulx is the final forward cut for Team Canada.

What? He is a good forward for the team, I thought he was a lock. Great two way player.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
after hunter's comments about mercer's versatility and engine, had a feeling this
was gonna happen. look forward to seeing him in action.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
BO Groulx is the most vanilla player around. I doubt he is even really considered if he's not a son of a coach.

Reactions: DJB

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
The way Mercer played the pre tourney game pretty well.made this one a no brainer. I think Huntet was going to keep Thomas regardless, so it really only left Groulx

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm glad that Mercer made it. He played well at every opportunity and from Hunter's comments it sounds like he impressed. Groulx never impressed at any of the selection events.

It's nice to have the team set. Hoping for the best.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Watching Groulx in the game against the Swiss he really didn’t do anything special that would say we need this guy on our roster. He also looked quite slow on the big ice surface which surprised me. We don’t need a penalty killer that can’t get there to put pressure on the defence and knock down a pass. This was the correct cut in my eyes.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’d be willing to bet Mercer replaces either Lavoie or Foote on the 1st/2nd line sometime short into the tournament.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm glad that Mercer made it. He played well at every opportunity and from Hunter's comments it sounds like he impressed. Groulx never impressed at any of the selection events.

It's nice to have the team set. Hoping for the best.

I quoted your post to say exactly what BondraTime said below. I could absolutely see Mercer working his way onto the top line, hes a little buzz saw out there and goes to the dirty areas, plus he skates really good. If one of those top 2 lines needs a jump I expect itll be him that gets the bump to that line.

Not surprised by the Groulx cut at all. He should've been throwing his weight around more or something to show he brought something to the table besides playing on the PK. Plenty of guys on the team could already PK but they all provided something more. Where this team could lack is a physical edge. Looking at the line up I would say McIsaac might be the only one who plays fairly mean. But guys like Laffy, Byram, Foote and Lavoie can turn it up when they need to. Hopefully Lavoie from the fourth line goes out with energy and throws his weight around every shift. This was a spot where Groulx could've found his niche and stuck but he didnt bring it at all physically

I’d be willing to bet Mercer replaces either Lavoie or Foote on the 1st/2nd line sometime short into the tournament.

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
What? He is a good forward for the team, I thought he was a lock. Great two way player.
Just curious, who would you have preferred to cut instead? I didn't catch the game vs. the Swiss, and I've been a little out of the loop, but I was sort of thinking it would be Groulx getting cut all along tbh. He's a good player, but I'm not sure what he brings that someone else can do better.
Such a tough call at this point though. It seems like the margins are so small, and there are so many potential players. It kind of just comes down to stylistic preferences from the coaches I guess.

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I quoted your post to say exactly what BondraTime said below. I could absolutely see Mercer working his way onto the top line, hes a little buzz saw out there and goes to the dirty areas, plus he skates really good. If one of those top 2 lines needs a jump I expect itll be him that gets the bump to that line.

Not surprised by the Groulx cut at all. He should've been throwing his weight around more or something to show he brought something to the table besides playing on the PK. Plenty of guys on the team could already PK but they all provided something more. Where this team could lack is a physical edge. Looking at the line up I would say McIsaac might be the only one who plays fairly mean. But guys like Laffy, Byram, Foote and Lavoie can turn it up when they need to. Hopefully Lavoie from the fourth line goes out with energy and throws his weight around every shift. This was a spot where Groulx could've found his niche and stuck but he didnt bring it at all physically

Yes, I am optimistic that Mercer can impress. Good utility player who could fit in on pretty much any line at even strength.With Mercer there with McIsaac, we almost saw 3/4 Atlantic provinces represented had Dobson been released. I'm sure that's never happened. Plus the novelty of Cozens representing the Yukon.

Regarding a physical edge, I suppose that Rees might have provided some of it but it seems that he wasn't close to making the team. Unfortunately Canada has lost that element for the most part. Before, there is almost no way that guys like Lavoie or Byfield would get to this point without developing a physical edge, but here we are.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Dudas is a player I don't know a lot about. Does he look like a future NHLer at this point? What's his realistic potential?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Regarding a physical edge, I suppose that Rees might have provided some of it but it seems that he wasn't close to making the team. Unfortunately Canada has lost that element for the most part. Before, there is almost no way that guys like Lavoie or Byfield would get to this point without developing a physical edge, but here we are.[/QUOTE]

Agree, but when Byfield starts to play a big mans game look out. Still a few of years a way but he will only take so much shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->