Waived: 2020-21 Waivers Thread

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Isn't there a season opening roster freeze or something today? Or did they do away with that?

It looks like the freeze is: anyone on the opening day roster (set yesterday January 12th at 5PM) cannot be loaned to the AHL, taxi, or elsewhere until after the team's first game.

Teams are still free to recall and sign players today so long as they have the space. Players like Timashov and Connaughton were not on the roster at the deadline yesterday, so are not considered part of the freeze. They can be signed now that the regular season has started and loaned to the AHL/taxi as soon as they clear waivers.

One fallout of this freeze is Tyler Johnson and Luke Schenn are not expected to be on the Lighting's roster tonight to celebrate the cup win. They're both on the taxi squad and cannot be recalled until the Lighting loan some players to open space, which can't happen until after the game.

Edit: Looks like the rule may only be for the first day of the season and not till the first game. Waiting for more confirmation based on the moves we see today. Very inequitable if they're implementing it that way.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
My bad. I think I confused him with Eriksonn-Ek.

Understandable, He was highly rated at one point but fell.

Lots of people are talking like he is a big bust. He is not. Most bottom 2nd rounder go on waiver lol

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
It looks like the freeze is: anyone on the opening day roster (set yesterday January 12th at 5PM) cannot be loaned to the AHL, taxi, or elsewhere until after the team's first game.

Teams are still free to recall and sign players today so long as they have the space. Players like Timashov and Connaughton were not on the roster at the deadline yesterday, so are not considered part of the freeze. They can be signed now that the regular season has started and loaned to the AHL/taxi as soon as they clear waivers.

One fallout of this freeze is Tyler Johnson and Luke Schenn are not expected to be on the Lighting's roster tonight to celebrate the cup win. They're both on the taxi squad and cannot be recalled until the Lighting loan some players to open space, which can't happen until after the game.
Great! Thanks for the clarification!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think someone nudged the Canes and reminded them that they can not trade Forsberg unless he clears waivers. Funny thing is, he never left Edmonton--so he could rack up being a member of multiple teams without leaving the house

Reactions: themelkman

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think someone nudged the Canes and reminded them that they can not trade Forsberg unless he clears waivers. Funny thing is, he never left Edmonton--so he could rack up being a member of multiple teams without leaving the house

Carolina was perfectly free to trade Forsberg so long as they were the only team to submit a claim. Which is likely given they would have been somewhere around 20th in waiver priority, so a lot of teams passed on him.

Reactions: uncleben

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Carolina was perfectly free to trade Forsberg so long as they were the only team to submit a claim. Which is likely given they would have been somewhere around 20th in waiver priority, so a lot of teams passed on him.

depends on how you view the rules and I believe Edmonton has dibs on him if no teams put a claim in

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
depends on how you view the rules and I believe Edmonton has dibs on him if no teams put a claim in

CBA 13.20(b) A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused.

If no other team submitted a claim then Carolina is free to trade the player. We already know this empirically from past years where claimed players have been traded.

And no, Edmonton does not get priority to reclaim Forsberg. This is one of those myths that never dies on HFB. If Edmonton claims Forsberg and no other team submits a claim then Edmonton can assign Forsberg to the AHL or taxi squad. Edmonton's waiver priority remains unchanged, and should be somewhere around 23rd.

Last edited:

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
CBA 13.20(b) A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused.

If no other team submitted a claim then Carolina is free to trade the player. We already know this empirically from past years where claimed players have been traded.

And no, Edmonton does not get priority to reclaim Forsberg. This is one of those myths that never dies on HFB. If Edmonton claims Forsberg and no other team submits a claim then Edmonton can assign Forsberg to the AHL or taxi squad. Edmonton's waiver priority remains unchanged, and should be somewhere around 23rd.
Right

the only change is any team that claims him will need to place him on the main roster. making it highly unlikely anyone claims him. The Oilers will likely (99.9999999%) have him back this time tomorrow.

Its not dibs, but Edmonton is the only destination for him. unless they decline, but our goalie situation isn't good and needs bodies in case of injuries. In essence its dib, but only on a technicality.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Right

the only change is any team that claims him will need to place him on the main roster. making it highly unlikely anyone claims him. The Oilers will likely (99.9999999%) have him back this time tomorrow.

Its not dibs, but Edmonton is the only destination for him. unless they decline, but our goalie situation isn't good and needs bodies in case of injuries. It essence its dib, but only on a technicality.

The team I'm most curious about is the Jets. After losing their #3 goaltender on waivers. Carrying 3 goaltenders on the active roster is certainly an option--many teams are doing so.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The team I'm most curious about is the Jets. After losing their #3 goaltender on waivers. Carrying 3 goaltenders on the active roster is certainly an option--many teams are doing so.
Im not well versed in the current priority order. What place are the jets in? below the oilers?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Im not well versed in the current priority order. What place are the jets in? below the oilers?

Priority right now goes by inverse standings last season. And it's by points/game not absolute points. Winnipeg would have priority over Edmonton, with the Jets having 80 points in 71 games vs 83 points in 71 games for the Oilers.

Reactions: egelband

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Priority right now goes by inverse standings last season. And it's by points/game not absolute points. Winnipeg would have priority over Edmonton, with the Jets having 80 points in 71 games vs 83 points in 71 games for the Oilers.
interesting situation!!

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

This is what I'm thinking as well. Canes indeed picked up a familiar face in Forsberg as insurance incase they lost Ned, figuring if they ended up not needing him, the Oilers would scoop him back up and immediately assign him to their TS as planned. Then the Jets entered the mix after losing Comrie, where Forsberg having not left Canada would be a better option than claiming Ned and waiting a couple weeks.

Knowing the Jets may need a goalie and are higher in waiver priority than the Oilers, Waddell probably called them to see if they'd claim him or if they'd want to make a trade incase another higher priority team puts in a claim. Then he called his old boss Ken Holland and tried to use some leverage to get the Oilers to outbid the Jets or make a trade before they waive him.

However, Ken Holland's response probably went something like "Hey thanks for the offer, but we're good. Say hi to the wife and kids for me". After an exchange of goodbye's, Holland then hung up, smiled and promptly dialed Jimmy Howard's agent.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

If no team put a waiver claim for him, why would they want to trade assets to get him a day later? Especially when he still needs to clear waivers to be sent down.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

Since the Oilers lost him to waivers, I think they can call dibs on him before any other team.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If no team put a waiver claim for him, why would they want to trade assets to get him a day later? Especially when he still needs to clear waivers to be sent down.

Obviously no team did.

Since the Oilers lost him to waivers, I think they can call dibs on him before any other team.

No, No, No. Please let this myth die.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Not quite.

The waiver priority order doesn't change, however, if anyone else grabs him and tries to send him down to the taxi squad, he'd have to go through waivers again. If Edmonton reclaims him, he wouldn't.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
No, No, No. Please let this myth die.

My mistake. What is actually true is that, if the Oilers are the only club to re-claim him, they can send him to minors/taxi squad without putting him on waivers. Jets would need to keep him in NHL.

Reactions: mouser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad