Waived: 2020-21 Waivers Thread

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Spezza will clear unless there's a super petty GM given Spezza seems to only want to play for the Leafs from here on out (and given it's the Leafs, I wouldn't rule this out). Dell won't and given Andersen hasn't looked great early, that might be a problem for the Leafs if either he or Campbell go down.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

He spoke too soon?

Yeah, the Roster Emergency Exemption option to recall without playing a skater short first only applies to Covid related non-roster assignments. Teams still have to play with a skater short before using a Roster Emergency Exemption if the shortage is due to normal injury.

Reactions: hn777 and CupInSIX

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The Leafs only really need Dell to clear or be claimed to fix their cap crunch.
- Leafs currently have $651k free,
- Removing Dell makes that $1.451m free.
- Call up Boyd and Brooks, combined $1.425m
- Invoke LTIR on Robertson.
- Leafs ACSL will be $81.474m.
- Leafs LTIR Relief pool will be $821,667.

I suspect the Spezza waiver is simply to get him through waivers so he can be given an off night here and there on the taxi squad. It doesn't look like part of the LTIR cap math maneuvering. Though they might want to send him down for the next game after LTIR is invoked to recall a player with a contract larger then the relief pool.

Edit: I am very curious to see if the Leafs recall Petan tomorrow. There are a lot of permutations, but Petan looks like one of the simpler options.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
There’s no AHL team to go to at the moment, so I don’t see how he could refuse assignment there yet.

One very notable change this year is that players on 1-way contracts won’t make more in the AHL then they would in the NHL In normal years being in the AHL means the player avoids escrow. For this season only any player on a 1-way deal in the AHL or taxi squad has their pay reduced by 20%. Matching the 20% in escrow the players on NHL rosters will have clawed back. And those 1-way players will have 10% of their salaries deferred, same as the players on the NHL roster.

Thanks for the clarification on salary reductions/etc. I keep forgetting all the changes for this season. :help:

Not sure on the credibility of the source, but this piece alleges that Seeler refused an assignment: Adios, Nick Seeler - Committed Indians

Perhaps Seeler had already indicated to the Hawks FO that he didn't intend on going to Rockford when the AHL season started, so knowing it would save them a few buck on a 1-way deal they decided to cut bait before he changed his mind.

EDIT: Seems to confirmed now:

Last edited:

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
I would love Biega back in Vancouver as a #6-7 d-man. If only Benning had saved a pittance of cap space and not blown his load on replacement-or-worse level players.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That was most likely COVID related.

Could be. The documents I've seen covered how to handle COVID in-season, but didn't mention how they would deal with any training camp issues. Wonder if that detail is unpublished or something they had to make up on the fly for Dallas. Regular IR (similar to SOIR) isn't an in-season option for example.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Could be. The documents I've seen covered how to handle COVID in-season, but didn't mention how they would deal with any training camp issues. Wonder if that detail is unpublished or something they had to make up on the fly for Dallas. Regular IR (similar to SOIR) isn't an in-season option for example.

Every finnish player on the Stars was out for a while . There's very good reason to believe they all had COID

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->