Speculation: 2020-21 Stars Roster Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Bowness' interviews are like pinecones in my ears. "We're playing well, we're not getting lucky." It just emphasizes that injuries would make the team better, but they wouldn't make the team different. There would still be zero creativity or set plays designed to maximize the talent on the roster. There would still be the FCC line getting more minutes than is necessary. There would still be Gurianov taking the blame for every loss in which he failed to score, as if Benn hasn't been just as bad if not worse. There would probably even still be Lindell on the second unit. The team could be solid next season.
Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Benn-Seguin-Radulov
Kiviranta-Dellandrea-Gurianov
Caamano-Gardner-Damiani
That's a completely fine roster as long as Bowness isn't around to keep giving bottom six talent, top six minutes. And yes, in this world, I'm assuming we've moved on from Faksa and Dickinson, who are basically the same player as every other center they've drafted besides Bourque.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Wouldn’t be a point of letting Dickinson walk or trading faksa unless we’re gonna upgrade with the available salary .

Reactions: Abilify

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Wouldn’t be a point of letting Dickinson walk or trading faksa unless we’re gonna upgrade with the available salary .

Addition by subtraction? Watching Faksa regress, and Dickinson make anti-plays in the offensive zone, I just don't know what Dellandrea and Gardner can't provide at half the cost. Then again I'm a big believer in prioritizing your top two lines first, so maybe it's just me.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Addition by subtraction? Watching Faksa regress, and Dickinson make anti-plays in the offensive zone, I just don't know what Dellandrea and Gardner can't provide at half the cost. Then again I'm a big believer in prioritizing your top two lines first, so maybe it's just me.

If you want to make the argument that Dallas should trade Faksa/Dickinson for younger assets and use the cap room to sign an offensive playmaker, I might agree with you. Current formula isn't working; try to improve now and in the future, not a bad idea.

But to say "addition by subtraction?", I'll join Bfantz in pushing back against that. Dickinson and Faksa are better players then Dellandrea and Gardner. I'm no arithmetic expert but that isn't addition by subtraction, that's just subtraction.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Unless your Tom galagrdi why would it matter that Gardner and dellandrea are cheaper ?

Canterano

Jun 30, 2018
Finland
Unless your Tom galagrdi why would it matter that Gardner and dellandrea are cheaper ?
It would leave more money and cap space for forwards that can actually score. But yeah, I don't think that filling your bottom 6 with only ELC:s is a great idea.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Why was friggen Dowling even up? I like Caamano as well but for f*** sake play Dellandrea.

How can Nill just watch this shit show continue all season long? Ty Dellandrea is one of the most promising prospects of this franchise, if not the most promising. He needs to play, not sit in the press box. He's also a Center and this team does need Centers. Should Bowness really not want to play him then that's fine as well but in this case at least give Dellandrea heavy minutes in the AHL. But if you need some injury covers on the taxi squad, there are enough other guys to pick from. That's not where you wanna place your top prospects, for f*** sake.

Reactions: Elysian

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I was looking at ufa dmen as potential partners for Heiskanen in the scenario that Oleksiak walks or gets picked up in expansion draft. Or say if Lindell gets traded someone who could get paired with Klingberg, and these guys seemed like could be decent options for next year:

LD:
  • Jake McCabe
  • Erik Gustafsson
  • Ryan Murray
RD:
  • Brandon Montour
  • Adam Larsson
  • Erik Gustafsson
Dougie Hamilton would also be UFA but no way the Stars would be able to afford him.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I was looking at ufa dmen as potential partners for Heiskanen in the scenario that Oleksiak walks or gets picked up in expansion draft. Or say if Lindell gets traded someone who could get paired with Klingberg, and these guys seemed like could be decent options for next year:

LD:
  • Jake McCabe
  • Erik Gustafsson
  • Ryan Murray
RD:
  • Brandon Montour
  • Adam Larsson
  • Erik Gustafsson
Dougie Hamilton would also be UFA but no way the Stars would be able to afford him.
I think they will more likely dip into the forward ufa group and promote Harley Sekera or Hanley on d .

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I think they will more likely dip into the forward ufa group and promote Harley Sekera or Hanley on d .
Hard to predict with the expansion draft, but assuming no trades there's only 1 forward spot available (ignore the lines):
Robertson-Hintz-Guri
Benn-Seguin-X
Kiviranta-Pavleski-Radulov
Dickinson-Faksa-Dellandrea.

That spot could go to Damiani/Mascherin/UFA.

D you have:
Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen
Harley-Sekera

Oleksiak is ufa but maybe he can be signed after the expansion draft. Harley is like Damiani where they could fill the spot, but not sure yet. Hanley is also a UFA.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

From the times I've watched North Dakota the past couple of seasons, my knee jerk thought was that Kawaguchi reminded me of former Devils prospect Reid Boucher. Great shot but perhaps doesn't have the wheels to be a sure fire NHLer.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

From the times I've watched North Dakota the past couple of seasons, my knee jerk thought was that Kawaguchi reminded me of former Devils prospect Reid Boucher. Great shot but perhaps doesn't have the wheels to be a sure fire NHLer.

Looks like a Stocky little bugger .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not sure if he can make the NHL but a constant pipeline of AHL guys doesn't hurt either. Stars have been really good with signing younger free agents under Nill and especially Scott White

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Very few of these college free agents pan out, but there's zero downside to bringing in this steady stream of them. Nill does seem to do a good job of selling the organization to these guys.

Reactions: LT

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Nice to have some more skill in the org (even nicer Nill is finally getting this) but these NCAA guys the Stars get never impress me, dating back to the 90s. Hard for me to get excited because of yyyuuuge skepticism out of the gate.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Nice to have some more skill in the org (even nicer Nill is finally getting this) but these NCAA guys the Stars get never impress me, dating back to the 90s. Hard for me to get excited because of yyyuuuge skepticism out of the gate.

To me signing those free agents better than signing AHL veterans to fill out the minor league roster imho.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Might be an exciting AHL player. Anything more would be great too. Another smaller skill guy down there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad