MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
taylor-hall-2020-51.jpg

Reactions: serp

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Thats not what i'm saying . Oleksiak is playing well and is a top 4 defenseman on a very affordable contract. Hall is a very expensive declining winger

I mean Jamie Benn won an Art Ross trophy and was a consistent 30-40 goal scorer until 3 years ago. Would he fetch a big price if he was a rental ?

No because he's been declining hard for 3 straight years and so has Taylor Hall.
Hall has that Sabres stank on him now. Not good for trade value.

Reactions: serp

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
On another note, just curious: if Seattle was willing to take Ja. Benn in the expansion draft, what’s the most valuable asset you’d be willing to give up to make it happen?

I think I’d say a 1st—or maybe even Harley. I’d maybe go that far to do it.

Conversation fodder. . .

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
On another note, just curious: if Seattle was willing to take Ja. Benn in the expansion draft, what’s the most valuable asset you’d be willing to give up to make it happen?

I think I’d say a 1st—or maybe even Harley. I’d maybe go that far to do it.

Conversation fodder. . .
Depends on what they wanted more but Harley, dellandrea, 1st, etc. But basically outside miro,robertson,hintz, klingberg. There's not much I wouldn't part with individually
But nobody wants Jamie benn on there team. Least of all a new team trying to build a fan base

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Depends on what they wanted more but Harley, dellandrea, 1st, etc. But basically outside miro,robertson,hintz, klingberg. There's not much I wouldn't part with individually
But nobody wants Jamie benn on there team. Least of all a new team trying to build a fan base
Thinking out loud: Seattle will want to build for both now and the future. Benn is far from a useless player, just wildly overpaid. I would imagine getting both a short term and long term asset could make something like that worthwhile. Plus, if he is captain material for the Stars, then surely he should be captain material for the Kraken. Another advantage would be that his actual cost by that point is millions less than his cap cost.

Again, just thinking out loud. Thanks for discussing.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
If you want to give up assets to get rid of Benn, then you need to make a convincing argument on what you're going to do with the free cap space that will make it worthwhile. What upcoming UFA forward would you rather spend his money on?

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
If you want to give up assets to get rid of Benn, then you need to make a convincing argument on what you're going to do with the free cap space that will make it worthwhile. What upcoming UFA forward would you rather spend his money on?
Keep Klingberg? (I’m torn on that one.) Back up the truck for Heiskanen. The league is shifting towards giving young players their contracts earlier. The Stars need to be ready for that. Plus, a flat cap for the next 3’ish years, right? So, imho, it isn’t just about what UFA the Stars should sign.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Keep Klingberg? (I’m torn on that one.) Back up the truck for Heiskanen. The league is shifting towards giving young players their contracts earlier. The Stars need to be ready for that. Plus, a flat cap for the next 3’ish years, right? So, imho, it isn’t just about what UFA the Stars should sign.

Bingo. John Klingberg not worth the raise he’d get. Would just hamstring us in other areas.

See Nashville Predators.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If it wasn't for Klinger, this team might average less than 1 goal a game. I agree, however, that there is a price where he wouldn't be worth it for cap reasons.

That's just the way it is. As good as Jamie O has been since back, I doubt he gets signed either. Like private enterprises, sometimes great workers need to go somewhere else to get the money they deserve.

Reactions: Bfantz

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Bingo. John Klingberg not worth the raise he’d get. Would just hamstring us in other areas.

See Nashville Predators.
I think they can get miro on a bridge deal for under 6 . Comeau and cogliano s contracts basically pay for that . Trade/Lose khudobin , oleksiak contracts and we have enough cap space for next year to do something and than pavelski and radulov contracts are up when we have to resign klingberg . It’s very do-able to keep heiskanen and klingberg long term .

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
You can save it if you want but you aren’t going to get to use it. Klingers going in the rafters bud.

I agree that he's not going anywhere, but his number isn't going into the rafters. Not unless the Stars at least win the Cup with him.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Only two of the five retired numbers won a Cup, ya know

I'm aware.

The other three were also retired either by Minnesota or (in Broten's case) by Dallas while they clung to Minnesota's history, which they have since moved away from.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I think they can get miro on a bridge deal for under 6 . Comeau and cogliano s contracts basically pay for that . Trade/Lose khudobin , oleksiak contracts and we have enough cap space for next year to do something and than pavelski and radulov contracts are up when we have to resign klingberg . It’s very do-able to keep heiskanen and klingberg long term .
Awe someone who understands the actual cap. Yes Dallas is up against the cap right now but everyone acts like we can’t afford Miro and klingberg. Dallas is in a great spot to add this off-season. Plus I doubt klingberg gets over 8 a year. I doubt Miro get over 9 on a long term. We all love him and he does great things but he needs way more offense to get over 9 a year. I would be shocked if it was over 8 a year. Probably will be a bridge. Jim Nill sucks at being a GM except when it comes to the cap. He is a wizard at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad