GDT: 2020-21 season Game #2 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @6:00pm 1/16/21

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Has there been a 3C in the league who makes $10M? I guess the Kings are gonna break the mold there.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Yes.

Which puzzles me more that the team preferred drafting a "project" with Byfield than the clearly-better-right-now Stutzle (and who I maintain is much more likely to always be better)? I don't want to veer off into that debate but if all these highly touted prospects are still a few years away ... Let's draft another?
Blake stuck with the Kings basic formula.I still say we can’t make a fair assessment yet and won’t be able to for years, but look at the buzz Stutzle has generated. People want to see him more than the Senators honestly. LA could have used a shot of excitement like that. This year is another hand off year. They’ll look to move carts if his value goes back up. Fight for the fourth spot. Maybe get lucky at the draft.

Picked up 2 points and an inch away from a third. Just can’t go on a prolonged losing streak this year.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
For what it's worth, Byfield's old coach did refer to him as a project on ALL THE KINGS men podcast.

He kinda is a project since he's not close to being an NHL ready player. Only the future will tell how good he becomes or doesn't.

If Byfield becomes the prodigal son like some think he will be, it's going to be great since Kopitar doesnt look like he's got much left in the tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: ibleedkings

Token

May 15, 2019
For what it's worth, Byfield's old coach did refer to him as a project on ALL THE KINGS men podcast.
Project is the wrong word. Project implies there is a long learning curve to fix a deficiency in his game.

Other than the short stick - I haven’t seen much in the way of deficiency.

Byfield just needs time to grow into his frame. The tools he has will get refined. There is no “project” there, just time and repetition.

I was 6’5” decades ago, before age made things bend, and I can tell you, takes some years to get the lanky limbs under full control ;)

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
One thing we're not talking about enough is that guys like Kopitar and Doughty can't be playing 25+ minutes per game. They just can't. Kopitar is 24th in the league in time-on-ice per game. Not among forwards, the whole league. Doughty is third. We have to spread out the time-on-ice more. It doesn't matter if some of our other lines are bad, running these guys ragged this year will only lead to them being worse next year when we might actually need them.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Blake stuck with the Kings basic formula.I still say we can’t make a fair assessment yet and won’t be able to for years, but look at the buzz Stutzle has generated. People want to see him more than the Senators honestly. LA could have used a shot of excitement like that. This year is another hand off year. They’ll look to move carts if his value goes back up. Fight for the fourth spot. Maybe get lucky at the draft.

Picked up 2 points and an inch away from a third. Just can’t go on a prolonged losing streak this year.

Why, to boost ticket sales? If there were any year where generating "buzz" was less important, this is the year. Same goes for trading prospects or picks for named players.

Reactions: The Butcher

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
One thing we're not talking about enough is that guys like Kopitar and Doughty can't be playing 25+ minutes per game. They just can't. Kopitar is 24th in the league in time-on-ice per game. Not among forwards, the whole league. Doughty is third. We have to spread out the time-on-ice more. It doesn't matter if some of our other lines are bad, running these guys ragged this year will only lead to them being worse next year when we might actually need them.
while i do agree about the minutes, guys just need to take fewer penalties and the ice time would have a chance to even out

the bulk of that game was all special teams and save for the last few minutes where the bench shortened (that's another conversation), tmac was basically rolling 4

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Why, to boost ticket sales? If there were any year where generating "buzz" was less important, this is the year. Same goes for trading prospects or picks for named players.
Merchandise too, but point taken. Overall, the Kings haven’t had an electric presence in years. Six years removed from success. Maybe Byfield will bring some intrest when he hits LA.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego

That stat is misleading because they’ve only played two games and the Kings took 12 penalties in the first two. Drew spent over 5 minutes on the pk in the first gam, 2 in the second. Kopi spent over 4 minutes on the pk in the first game and 2 in the second.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
That stat is misleading because they’ve only played two games and the Kings took 12 penalties in the first two. Drew spent over 5 minutes on the pk in the first gam, 2 in the second. Kopi spent over 4 minutes on the pk in the first game and 2 in the second.
Not sure why the Kings still have Kopitar on the PK so much. There are other forwards capable of doing just as good a job, and they need the experience.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not sure why the Kings still have Kopitar on the PK so much. There are other forwards capable of doing just as good a job, and they need the experience.

Was a little shocked to see Vilardi there at least a little bit, so it's not all bad

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009

Kopitar played more in game two (24:53) than in game one (23:29). I don't think it's misleading at all. He played two fewer minutes shorthanded and three more minutes at even strength in game two.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Kopitar played more in game two (24:53) than in game one (23:29). I don't think it's misleading at all. He played two fewer minutes shorthanded and three more minutes at even strength in game two.

Are you seriously going to argue that your stats aren't misleading with just two games played? This is literally why stats require at least 10 samples to be somewhat legitimate. Two games, do you know how badly ONE game affects the total stats? 50%!

Doughty,
19:56, EV/GP
4:10, PP/GP
3:43, PK/GP
3:53, OT/GP

Kopitar,
16:38, EV/GP
4:23, PP/GP
3:10, PK/GP
4:44, OT/GP

Take out OT and cut PK in half....lol, 3 penalties a game (which is still too many), and you have a more reasonable time on ice.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Are you seriously going to argue that your stats aren't misleading with just two games played? This is literally why stats require at least 10 samples to be somewhat legitimate. Two games, do you know how badly ONE game affects the total stats? 50%!

Doughty,
19:56, EV/GP
4:10, PP/GP
3:43, PK/GP
3:53, OT/GP

Kopitar,
16:38, EV/GP
4:23, PP/GP
3:10, PK/GP
4:44, OT/GP

Take out OT and cut PK in half....lol, 3 penalties a game (which is still too many), and you have a more reasonable time on ice.

Sorry, I thought you were saying that Kopitar's playing time was inflated in game one because of penalties and was down to "normal" levels in game two, when in fact he had more time-on-ice in game two. I misread that and was incorrect. Yes, I obviously agree that two games isn't enough for a sample size, but it doesn't change the fact that we've lost two games to start the season in which Kopitar averaged 24+ minutes and Doughty averaged 28+ minutes.

Your stats are incorrect though, Kopitar is averaging 2:22 and Doughty is averaging 1:57 in overtime. The Wild also had a one-minute power play in overtime, so that overlaps with the overtime time-on-ice a bit. Even if you remove the overtime time on ice, you're still playing Kopitar and Doughty 22 and 26 minutes a game. That's a lot. All I'm saying is that I hope to see those numbers go down.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sorry, I thought you were saying that Kopitar's playing time was inflated in game one because of penalties and was down to "normal" levels in game two, when in fact he had more time-on-ice in game two. I misread that and was incorrect. Yes, I obviously agree that two games isn't enough for a sample size, but it doesn't change the fact that we've lost two games to start the season in which Kopitar averaged 24+ minutes and Doughty averaged 28+ minutes.

Your stats are incorrect though, Kopitar is averaging 2:22 and Doughty is averaging 1:57 in overtime. The Wild also had a one-minute power play in overtime, so that overlaps with the overtime time-on-ice a bit. Even if you remove the overtime time on ice, you're still playing Kopitar and Doughty 22 and 26 minutes a game. That's a lot. All I'm saying is that I hope to see those numbers go down.

Still, the averages don't even matter if we're talking about guys looking gassed in one snapshot game. It doesn't matter if they're 'unrealistic,' they happened.

Can you imagine those numbers not going down......6 penalties a game?!

I mean I'm sure they'll go down but maybe not that much, remember that Doughty was still getting killed with the 2nd most TOI per game in the league at 26 to Thomas Chabot (a crazy fit kid) and Kopitar 21 min per game as recently as last year...these guys aren't spring chickens and we're worried about both their effectiveness and their longevity, it's the coaches literal role to find out how hard he can push them vs. ROI on their insane contracts and it's clear that LAST year Kopi was good in the 20-21 range but that Drew was absolutely stupid at the high range. In contrast, Hedman gets much easier deployment at 22 minutes a game. Imagine a Drew that isn't just getting buried with hard d assigments for half a game. This stuff is more important than the dismissive attitudes here. You want to throw a forward into #1 defenseman minutes after a 10 month layoff? I don't care the reason, make someone else PK, especially this early into the season, it's not like it's game 50 and we're fighting for a playoff spot and need that kill!

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Remember when people were hesitant on here to include Amadio in any trades as he was looking like a potential solid 2 way 2-3 C for the future?! Mmhmm... goes to show how we overrate prospects. Just like how adding LaDue to grab Ladenskog had the trades break off.

Just out of interest, there were really people arguing like that?
The only thing i noticed is that people call him Michael "AHL" Amadio since a long time.
And i would agree with that. As soon as Amadio has the puck he turns it over to the opponent.
He just looks brutal out there on offense and defense.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Just out of interest, there were really people arguing like that?
The only thing i noticed is that people call him Michael "AHL" Amadio since a long time.
And i would agree with that. As soon as Amadio has the puck he turns it over to the opponent.
He just looks brutal out there on offense and defense.

I do remember at a certain point in time some thought Amadio could at least be a 3rd line center(Myself included), but I wonder if that was mostly because we literally had no one else good in the system. He's very similar to how Nick Shore was being treated when he was with the team full time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad