GDT: 2020-21 season Game #2 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @6:00pm 1/16/21

killermiller

Kings Fan
Feb 7, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I don't mind giving up leads like this if could see some of these forwards having a long future with the Kings, but some of these guys have been in the system a while and have seemingly been getting worse. Like how are we building for the future (if we know playoffs are a longshot) with guys like Amadio and Luff in the lineup?

I'm tired of hearing the "well the guys know the system since they've been here for longer" excuse. If they know the system and still play like ass then what's the damn point? We have two older swedish "prospects" with NHL experience that had some sort of chemistry in scrimmages so why not try them out on the fourth line together? They have more tools and upside than anyone from our current fourth line has, the best way to learn the system is to play them and let them learn naturally, Grundstrom and Andersson are the types of players who at the very least have the tenacity and energy for a bottom six role and that's not including the natural skill they have.

Luff brings energy but is bumped off the puck and causes turnovers way too much.

Amadio? I honestly couldn't tell you one thing he's good at, he's like an amalgam of all the below average skills in the league in one player.

I have tempered expectations about the next couple of seasons but all I really want to see is a future with some of these forwards like I do the defense. We have a limited season to start developing these more ready/mature prospects, I say give em a chance sooner than later.

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
You know what happens if you play the prospects and the team loses? Then all the management and veterans have accelerated their due dates for no longer being with the team. That is the simplest explanation for why we are getting slow rolled and being sold on the idea that improvement is just around the corner.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
People who expect to make the playoffs this season or the next two are thinking with their hearts and not heads. The Kings are still 4-5 years away from sniffing the playoffs.

If the Kings are still 5 years from sniffing the playoffs, then they will have done something very wrong along the way. Not only do the Kings have cap space today, but they're opening up at least $11m more after next year. 2-3 years. Cup? Those discussions are 5-ish years away, and that's if more goes right than not. Legitimately in a playoffs race? If that's not by the turn of the calendar to 2023, then they'll have to rebuild the rebuild.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I don't mind giving up leads like this if could see some of these forwards having a long future with the Kings, but some of these guys have been in the system a while and have seemingly been getting worse. Like how are we building for the future (if we know playoffs are a longshot) with guys like Amadio and Luff in the lineup?

I'm tired of hearing the "well the guys know the system since they've been here for longer" excuse. If they know the system and still play like ass then what's the damn point? We have two older swedish "prospects" with NHL experience that had some sort of chemistry in scrimmages so why not try them out on the fourth line together? They have more tools and upside than anyone from our current fourth line has, the best way to learn the system is to play them and let them learn naturally, Grundstrom and Andersson are the types of players who at the very least have the tenacity and energy for a bottom six role and that's not including the natural skill they have.

Luff brings energy but is bumped off the puck and causes turnovers way too much.

Amadio? I honestly couldn't tell you one thing he's good at, he's like an amalgam of all the below average skills in the league in one player.

I have tempered expectations about the next couple of seasons but all I really want to see is a future with some of these forwards like I do the defense. We have a limited season to start developing these more ready/mature prospects, I say give em a chance sooner than later.

The 4th line has been absolutely brutal at times. Moore has looked okay, mainly because he's faster and a better forechecker than Luff or Amadio. I agree; we absolutely need to see Grundstrom, Andersson, and Anderson-Dolan in the lineup rather than what we're getting currently.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Wow pretty extreme overreactions here. The games have been entertaining- we are seeing the Kings score goals and that was the most exciting Kings/Wild games since forever. We are not getting blown out in games and things are close. What more can you ask from this team?

Further, just to ease your mind, 50% of our current roster is full of warm bodies until the kids get in the lineup. I think you will slowly see new blood inserted as the season goes along and it will be fun to see the new generation.

We will see our real team likely next season. Just stay patient and enjoy watching NHL hockey.

Reactions: lumbergh

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
The 4th line has been absolutely brutal at times. Moore has looked okay, mainly because he's faster and a better forechecker than Luff or Amadio. I agree; we absolutely need to see Grundstrom, Andersson, and Anderson-Dolan in the lineup rather than what we're getting currently.

Plus Grundstrom and Andersson have been playing pro games for months and by all accounts had good training camps. Yet, Amadio and Luff in consecutive games.

Last edited:

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
all things aside, i didn't even notice the fake crowd so they either turned it off or figured out how to make it not annoying

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
If the Kings are still 5 years from sniffing the playoffs, then they will have done something very wrong along the way. Not only do the Kings have cap space today, but they're opening up at least $11m more after next year. 2-3 years. Cup? Those discussions are 5-ish years away, and that's if more goes right than not. Legitimately in a playoffs race? If that's not by the turn of the calendar to 2023, then they'll have to rebuild the rebuild.

And there's no way that Blake keeps his job if this team isn't in the mix within next couple of years...

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
all things aside, i didn't even notice the fake crowd so they either turned it off or figured out how to make it not annoying

Yah, they definitely tempered it down....but did anyone notice the slight audio delay? The audio lead the video by probably a second.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Yah, they definitely tempered it down....but did anyone notice the slight audio delay? The audio lead the video by probably a second.
i don't think i noticed that enough but there were a couple times i'd see a defenseman send a breakout pass from one camera angle then they'd switch and i'd see the the puck leaving his stick again which was really weird

i think they got some funny business going on with the sync because they're afraid of hearing naughty words on the TV because there's no crowd.. meanwhile "wet ass p***y" tops the charts.........

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC

Cap space is one component.

If Kopitar broke into the league behind a guy with a $10M contract for 5 more seasons, he would never have become the player he is today. Brown played right out of the draft as an 18 year old on a terrible team, and a couple years later was named captain.

When the Kings were actually great, they never had a top ranked farm system.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Imagine being mad about a rebuilding team 2 games in after almost a year off. Some of you need to check yourselves.
I'd like to see some changes in the lineup...Luff,Moore and maybe MacDermid out with Grundstrom,Lias Andersson and Clague in! Can't hurt right and a good chance to see Lias in Kings colours and line up for a regular season game. There has to be some sort of shake up this team and even the top line played poorly last night

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I'd like to see some changes in the lineup...Luff,Moore and maybe MacDermid out with Grundstrom,Lias Andersson and Clague in! Can't hurt right and a good chance to see Lias in Kings colours and line up for a regular season game. There has to be some sort of shake up this team and even the top line played poorly last night
clague looked completely lost on opening night, he has no business in the NHL right now

macdermid serves a purpose, note how there was no funny business last night like there was opening night. macdermid cleared the crease out in front of quick and bjugstad was right there face up with him and basically went "ok" and turned away. when macdermid isn't in the lineup, there's no one to keep greenway, foligno et al in check and you get bullied like opening night

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
clague looked completely lost on opening night, he has no business in the NHL right now

macdermid serves a purpose, note how there was no funny business last night like there was opening night. macdermid cleared the crease out in front of quick and bjugstad was right there face up with him and basically went "ok" and turned away. when macdermid isn't in the lineup, there's no one to keep greenway, foligno et al in check and you get bullied like opening night
So much this ^^

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

If Kopitar broke into the league behind a guy with a $10M contract for 5 more seasons, he would never have become the player he is today. Brown played right out of the draft as an 18 year old on a terrible team, and a couple years later was named captain.

Not sure what you mean by great? Before the Cup years(2012 and '14) in 2010-11 LA had Martinez in the minors,Voynov,Muzzin,Martin Jones,Hickey,King,Nolan,Moller and Loktionov. PS Brown actually turned 19, 2 months into his first season which turned into a flop statistically. His saving grace was the 2004-05 strike where he played a tonne with Mike Cammalleri in Manchester. Doubt he would have developed well in LA at such a young age...his first season sort bore that out. Don't get me wrong I liked Brown through most of his career just wish he would move on now,he's made all the money he'll ever need. Kopi-Star needs two new linemates with Speed,Skill and playmaking ability,otherwise its going to be a long year

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Remember when people were hesitant on here to include Amadio in any trades as he was looking like a potential solid 2 way 2-3 C for the future?! Mmhmm... goes to show how we overrate prospects. Just like how adding LaDue to grab Ladenskog had the trades break off.

As a fan, Im hoping this season allows us to see which prospects currently deemed “ready” will be joining the ride long term and which we can turn the page on.

Id also like to see guys like Carter, Iafallo, Brown, Quick have good showings in hopes they can be turned into assets as a return. Maybe a long shot on some, but stranger things have happened.

A draft with the suspected top 5 to be all D has me hoping we can also land high up there as well. While our D prospect pool has added a number of promising members, we still could use to add a successor to Drew’s rile, or atleast a 1B type.

Reactions: andys

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

You did notice I said maybe MacDermid? I like his size I just would like to see how Clague plays,more. LA are not going to take Maatta,M Anderson outta there unless Mikey has some tough nights so...

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
And there's no way that Blake keeps his job if this team isn't in the mix within next couple of years...

Yes.

Which puzzles me more that the team preferred drafting a "project" with Byfield than the clearly-better-right-now Stutzle (and who I maintain is much more likely to always be better)? I don't want to veer off into that debate but if all these highly touted prospects are still a few years away ... Let's draft another?

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Yes.

Which puzzles me more that the team preferred drafting a "project" with Byfield than the clearly-better-right-now Stutzle (and who I maintain is much more likely to always be better)? I don't want to veer off into that debate but if all these highly touted prospects are still a few years away ... Let's draft another?
Blake went with the handful of magic beans instead of the trusty cow.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Kopitar has 3 years left after this year, but he can always be moved down to a 3rd line. Yeah, who wants a $10m 3C, but as of right now, the only important prospect that needs a new contract before Kopitar is out of here is Vilardi.

The only guy blocking anyone from playing time on the team is TM.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Kopitar has 3 years left after this year, but he can always be moved down to a 3rd line. Yeah, who wants a $10m 3C, but as of right now, the only important prospect that needs a new contract before Kopitar is out of here is Vilardi.

The only guy blocking anyone from playing time on the team is TM.

This, the Kings have 3 possibilities to take Kopitars spot and Kopitar as a 2 or 3c wouldn’t be horrible for a few years.

Biggest problems are no real possibilities to take Doughtys spot. We seem to have lots of 3-6 options but few 1-2 options and our 1-2 options seem to be stay at home defenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad