GDT: 2020-21 season game 18 LA Kings vs St. Louis Blues @6:30pm 2/24/21

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's one thing to bring up that thread if people are saying Bjornfot is trash but it is something else to try to keep rubbing it in people's faces that were upset that Kaliyev wasn't taken.

Yes, they got Kaliyev anyways so it was brilliant. Yes, I'd still rather have Kaliyev than Bjornfot as a prospect right now so with no guaranty that I get both I would take Kaliyev.

Yes, the Kings scouting staff et al get paid to do this and we don't. They have a way better feel for the room i.e. Kaliyev dropping and Bjornfot rising. Thank god they are smarter than we are.

My constant beef is people getting upset with ANYONE being picked/not being picked when they've yet to watch the players at all. Or maybe they've watched highlight reels.

And then double down by saying the Kings "need" a sniper, when it gets repeated that you don't draft for need.

I may question or vehemently disagree with people, but I'll always respect it when people watch prospects with an open mind and come to a reasonable/rational conclusion.

That draft/day 1 portion of the thread was a pile of "we needed a sniper. We didn't get one on day one. The scouts don't know what they're doing"

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Hahahha that is great. If you can't laugh at yourself, then you're taking this all too seriously. I got lucky and was at the draft party and there wasn't anywhere close to outrage happening. Maybe because most people were drunk they didn't have the sense to be upset, but when that run of defensemen started happening, the feeling was that it was going to be a defenseman at 22 in the room. When it happened, I wasn't shocked. I was a little disappointed it wasn't Arty, but knew it wasn't going to be long (in number picks) before the Kings were up to bat again.

Reactions: ru4reals

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
This team is playing better every game, even with players moving in and out of the line up. The vets are playing like top 5 league stars and honestly look reborn. Watching Kopitar and Brown play an attack and transition game is something I never expected to see. They’re proving the case of having sacrificed offense to play a cycle game. If they can carry this team to a playoff spot, I’ll stow any future criticism about them being over paid.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Also I’m the first guy to pile on Wagner, but he made a dirty pass to set up AA. He’s looking a lot more effective the last couples games. Quietly getting on the scoreboard every 3rd game, which is what we need from him.

He keeps this up, maybe he’ll merely be selected by Seattle, rather than bribed to take!
that little gallop he made before curling it back to AA was interesting.. weird enough that i think it made faulk pivot and gave AA some space

great play as a whole, walker won the board battle and everyone sprung

Reactions: Lt Dan

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
My constant beef is people getting upset with ANYONE being picked/not being picked when they've yet to watch the players at all. Or maybe they've watched highlight reels.

And then double down by saying the Kings "need" a sniper, when it gets repeated that you don't draft for need.

I may question or vehemently disagree with people, but I'll always respect it when people watch prospects with an open mind and come to a reasonable/rational conclusion.

That draft/day 1 portion of the thread was a pile of "we needed a sniper. We didn't get one on day one. The scouts don't know what they're doing"

I don't watch a ton of this stuff and haven't since the DL rebuild until the last couple of drafts. I would never call myself an expert. I'd have to go back and look if I said anything crazy in the draft day thread but I probably didn't even though I wanted Kaliyev there.

It just irks me with a bunch of "told you so's" from people that also don't know shit. Now, if you said in that thread that Kaliyev will still be there for the Kings in Round 2 so this is awesome then go ahead and toot that horn but I surmise that most of the posts were like "Blake knows what he is doing" while at the same time those posters probably didn't think Kaliyev would be there. The comment that he knows what he is doing is more of a "I trust that Blake and Co. are correct to rate Bjornfot over Kaliyev" v. "He knows he is going to get both of them".

I understand the issue with "drafting for need" when it comes to what is lacking on the big club but the sniper comments were more of a look at the entire organization. You can argue that this still doesn't matter because it is always BPA but I don't hate it as much when it is applied to the pipeline and not just what is lacking on the NHL level.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I mean it was also possible to be excited about the pick while thinking there are other, better players available at that spot. Bjornfot has likely exceeded all expectations this far, which is super awesome. He looks like he's gonna be a gem. I hope the same for literally every single player we've ever drafted (except Amadio) and want them all to succeed (except Amadio). It also just goes to show that there's a natural flow to these drafts, guys talk to each other, teams probably share lists with other teams they trust to see where they might be anle to pick some of their guys, etc. Hell, Bjornfot may well end up being our best pick of that entire draft. Pretty crazy that we got Turcotte, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Parik, Spence, and Nousiainen all in one draft. There is a non-zero chance for each of them to make the team some day.

Reactions: tbrown33

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I mean it was also possible to be excited about the pick while thinking there are other, better players available at that spot. Bjornfot has likely exceeded all expectations this far, which is super awesome. He looks like he's gonna be a gem. I hope the same for literally every single player we've ever drafted (except Amadio) and want them all to succeed (except Amadio). It also just goes to show that there's a natural flow to these drafts, guys talk to each other, teams probably share lists with other teams they trust to see where they might be anle to pick some of their guys, etc. Hell, Bjornfot may well end up being our best pick of that entire draft. Pretty crazy that we got Turcotte, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Parik, Spence, and Nousiainen all in one draft. There is a non-zero chance for each of them to make the team some day.

And it is a real crapshoot still since we are talking about kids.

Like, would Zegras or Cozens go ahead of Hughes or Kakko now? Does Dach pass them up? We were all stoked on Turcotte over Dach but do we feel the same?

I will be the first to rag on Blake but the drafting appears to be pretty legit so far. Final grade on the picks is still far off since they need to produce at the NHL level but I can't hate on the process and philosophy, although I did say he drafted for need over BPA with Bjornfot in that draft thread. I'll walk that back a bit and say that it was more of an understanding on what type of defenseman would be there at 33 v. the forwards at the same spot. They really nailed it.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't watch a ton of this stuff and haven't since the DL rebuild until the last couple of drafts. I would never call myself an expert. I'd have to go back and look if I said anything crazy in the draft day thread but I probably didn't even though I wanted Kaliyev there.

It just irks me with a bunch of "told you so's" from people that also don't know shit. Now, if you said in that thread that Kaliyev will still be there for the Kings in Round 2 so this is awesome then go ahead and toot that horn but I surmise that most of the posts were like "Blake knows what he is doing" while at the same time those posters probably didn't think Kaliyev would be there. The comment that he knows what he is doing is more of a "I trust that Blake and Co. are correct to rate Bjornfot over Kaliyev" v. "He knows he is going to get both of them".

I understand the issue with "drafting for need" when it comes to what is lacking on the big club but the sniper comments were more of a look at the entire organization. You can argue that this still doesn't matter because it is always BPA but I don't hate it as much when it is applied to the pipeline and not just what is lacking on the NHL level.

I don't mind the "I told you so" types, because IF Kaliyev was taken by another team, the same people would be saying "Here's Kaliyev scoring in his first NHL game. Something the Kings really need right now. If only we took him instead of Bjornfot."

Nobody could say with a straight face that Kaliyev would be available at 33.

But people were getting upset at just the first round, and they weren't Hickey-type, off-the-board picks.

They weren't even willing to wait and see who the Kings would take 11 picks later, as if Kaliyev was the only reason to watch the draft.

Reactions: bouncesonly
Yes, several times in fact.

I'll spare the other regular poster here that said the season was done in early January that year.

Well, thanks for the nod! I've always been an optimist and the negativity around here prior 2012 was very unsettling. I mean it's not like there was much to be optimistic about given the Kings historical penchant for mediocrity and futility but what's the point of watching if you accept that's all they'll ever be? I'm just glad it happened and I'll never forget either Cup run. My only regret was not going to any Cup final games because I could not stomach the cost and potentially going to a game they lose. That game against San Jose in 2011 (or 2010?) where the Kings lost after being up 4-0 was the biggest kick in the gut I've felt at a live sporting event. It was an old coworker's first Kings game and I remember as we were leaving telling him to get used to it.. haha!

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I don't mind the "I told you so" types, because IF Kaliyev was taken by another team, the same people would be saying "Here's Kaliyev scoring in his first NHL game. Something the Kings really need right now. If only we took him instead of Bjornfot."

But people were getting upset at just the first round, and they weren't Hickey-type, off-the-board picks.

They weren't even willing to wait and see who the Kings would take 11 picks later, as if Kaliyev was the only reason to watch the draft.

That's fair.

I also understand that this was the first "rebuild draft" coming off of the Willie D season so it makes sense that people died inside when it looked like Blake made a "safe DL-type pick".

Hell, @Raccoon Jesus is one of the most positive dudes on here and he stroked out all over that thread hahaha.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Emotion was running pretty high during that draft. Very interesting reading thru some of the comments, some are just brutally mean and surprising who said what.

Couldn't find any of my own comments, but I'm happy with how the #22 pick looks playing 20+ minutes a night for LA now. Kid is solid.

We're all fans of the same team and there are few fans more loyal and passionate than Kings fans. Go Kings Go

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
This is how I read the pick...

I’ve been doing some research today on Björnfot and it looks to me that the apathy by some for the pick is as much about lack of familiarity about him and him not being all shiny and pretty as anything else. He looks a great pick to me.

He’s projected as a 2nd pairing guy and will play in all situations. He’s played the tail end of the regular season plus the play offs in the SHL as an 18yr old and has been a riser on most lists of note throughout the year. The SHL is a great place for developing players and getting there at 18 is the sign of a top prospect. His intangibles are great and we saw this year how important that side of things can be to a team.

I also don’t think there are that many good defenders in this draft whereas there is less of a drop off amongst the forwards. Also we could now draft one of the previous highly rated forward prospects with our 2nd round pick (or trade it). Things have worked out nicely so it has been a great 1st round if you ask me.

Happy with that and a little smug in all honesty, especially with my read on why they did it that way. I’d always understood the concern about not picking Kalyev (or another scorer) but the reasons many people gave about not liking Björnfot at the time appear to be quite literally made up.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's fair.

I also understand that this was the first "rebuild draft" coming off of the Willie D season so it makes sense that people died inside when it looked like Blake made a "safe DL-type pick".

Hell, @Raccoon Jesus is one of the most positive dudes on here and he stroked out all over that thread hahaha.

Best way to put it really :laugh: that was the maddest I've been at our organization in a long time. Obviously in retrospect incredibly stupid but as you mention, at the time, it was death inside. I was looking for fence swings not safe picks and our LHD depth chart at the time was stupid deep while our offense was totally inept. I clearly went more than a little overboard there--but for the rest of the time I give more than the benefit of the doubt I think I earned the temporary volcano~ Hell I was defending Amadio until like last week!

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I remember leading up to this draft that I wanted at least a forward and a defenseman with the first 2 picks, but the defenseman that I really wanted was Heinola or Harley and both were gone by the 20th pick. After that I was hoping for another forward especially after we saw Kaliyev was dropping and thought he was a no brainer. Its looks like I didn't give much of an opinion on Bjornfot, more that I thought it was a safe pick and that I thought we could afford to take a risk, especially with a pick that wasn't ours. But full praise to Yanetti who is a lot smarter than myself and anybody on this board.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Haha, well it was pretty bad when they left Kaliyev on the board at that point, but all was forgiven when we got him in the second round and ran away with both. These past two drafts really couldn't have gone any better.

I'm definitely eating crow at this point. I'm flat-out impressed with how Blake has built this team and stuck to his plan with the rebuild. We are in one of the best positions a team can possibly be with signed, established, veterans that are still good, a treasure chest filled if the best prospects in hockey, and an extremely healthy list of contracts.

If Blake gets this team back to contender status within the next couple of seasons, he can likely count himself as one of the best GM's in the league... I honestly never thought I would say that, but any petty vitriol I had against him from his playing days are dissolved. In Blake I trust.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I was pissed :laugh: more that we left scorers on the board at that spot, something that was rectified soon thereafter, thankfully!

And it looks like everyone was mercifully wrong about 'ceiling' on TB, I guess when they drafted Faber we should have seen the same thing

Faber is going to be a good one.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Didn't they try and move up again before the 2nd round?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
And it is a real crapshoot still since we are talking about kids.

Like, would Zegras or Cozens go ahead of Hughes or Kakko now? Does Dach pass them up? We were all stoked on Turcotte over Dach but do we feel the same?

I will be the first to rag on Blake but the drafting appears to be pretty legit so far. Final grade on the picks is still far off since they need to produce at the NHL level but I can't hate on the process and philosophy, although I did say he drafted for need over BPA with Bjornfot in that draft thread. I'll walk that back a bit and say that it was more of an understanding on what type of defenseman would be there at 33 v. the forwards at the same spot. They really nailed it.

We are getting close to 2 years now since that draft, can't say anything is set in stone but it's also been long enough where it's fair to start making some evaluations. I think the "top 2 and huge drop off" narrative is proving to be incorrect. I think I'd still take Hughes #1, but I think I'd probably take Dach #2, he got better as the season went last year and was very noticeable in the playoff bubble, he has the and size and skill to be a dominant center, but he is also going to be coming off a significant injury. I know he's only 20, but it's hard to give a pass to Kaako, one season ok, but now two seasons where he really hasn't shown much at the NHL level, hasn't really passed the eye test either. Byram looks right on target, hasn't been Makar or Heiskinen but NHL regular on a good team at 19, Turcotte showed very little last year in college other than against weak opponents like Merrimack and ASU. 1-8-9 in 22 conference games was massively disappointing, I think the Kings would obviously like a do-over with who was available. Zegras would be moving up obviously, I wasn't sold coming out but he does magical things with the puck on his stick, will get a lot of assists in the NHL and if the Ducks can find him a real sniper to play with look out. Bjornfot can't be ignored though, he would move up huge, came over from Europe and made the Kings out of camp as an 18 year old and now as a 19 year old looks like a 10 year veteran and getting better with each game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad