2020/21 Roster Thread X: Chuck's time to shine

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers need a cultural change in the clubhouse, you can blame the coach for a lot of things, but failure to back check tends to be on the players, it takes a lot of energy to skate back as hard as you skate forward. Sure Trotz gets a lot of credit for the Islanders, but look at the type of players added since he got there, mostly hard working muckers, even Pageau. What Trotz was able to do is get skill players like Barzal to sacrifice their stats to help the team win. Flyers do it at times, but a lot of games players are slow getting back, and that's when they get into trouble on defense.

Another other factor is lack of quickness, the Flyers are no longer slow, but they lack players with burst. They're slow getting to pucks.

A third factor is lack of toughness, especially when it comes to winning board battles. Some of this is having a young team with players who haven't physically matured (Farabee), some of this are veterans who lack fire or technique. Lindblom has "it,"' just has to get his health back. Patrick tries but needs to work on it. Same with TK.

I think one reason they wanted to lock Laughton up were these weaknesses. They wanted an anchor for the bottom six who "plays the right way." Laughton doesn't have a great defensive IQ, but he does the dirty work. Most of the bottom six the next few years will be young forwards on their ELC and bridge contracts, so Laughton will be the guy they play with their first few years.

Just look at next season's bottom six: Laughton (27), Farabee (21), Lindblom (25), Patrick (23),
Frost (22), Laczynski (24), NAK (25), Allison (24), Cates (22), Bunnaman (23).
And Wisdom and Foerster (19).

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
Anybody like Duncan Keith as a Nisky replacement? Cup winner, leadership guy, former no. 1 D, super experienced. My man's cap-hit is only $5.5 for two more years!

upload_2021-4-14_11-55-45.png

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Flyers need a cultural change in the clubhouse, you can blame the coach for a lot of things, but failure to back check tends to be on the players, it takes a lot of energy to skate back as hard as you skate forward. Sure Trotz gets a lot of credit for the Islanders, but look at the type of players added since he got there, mostly hard working muckers, even Pageau. What Trotz was able to do is get skill players like Barzal to sacrifice their stats to help the team win. Flyers do it at times, but a lot of games players are slow getting back, and that's when they get into trouble on defense.

Another other factor is lack of quickness, the Flyers are no longer slow, but they lack players with burst. They're slow getting to pucks.

A third factor is lack of toughness, especially when it comes to winning board battles. Some of this is having a young team with players who haven't physically matured (Farabee), some of this are veterans who lack fire or technique. Lindblom has "it,"' just has to get his health back. Patrick tries but needs to work on it. Same with TK.

I think one reason they wanted to lock Laughton up were these weaknesses. They wanted an anchor for the bottom six who "plays the right way." Laughton doesn't have a great defensive IQ, but he does the dirty work. Most of the bottom six the next few years will be young forwards on their ELC and bridge contracts, so Laughton will be the guy they play with their first few years.

Just look at next season's bottom six: Laughton (27), Farabee (21), Lindblom (25), Patrick (23),
Frost (22), Laczynski (24), NAK (25), Allison (24), Cates (22), Bunnaman (23).
And Wisdom and Foerster (19).
This team is SOFT. Lacking in tenacity, competitiveness, & heaviness. Very weak in puck & positional battles.

Hextall’s prospects are looking overwhelmingly like meek busts. His era will be looked back upon as a complete disaster.

They need to change the culture, all right. Gone should be pushovers/low-motor guys like Sanheim, Myers, & Patrick. Frost, too, is the last type of player this team needs.

They need players who are willing to crash & fight for the puck & positioning. Guys who seek contact & will take hits rather than avoid confrontation. Guys willing to play north/south. More Islander-type players.

That, & bringing in a goalie who can actually play, will do wonders to change the culture of this pathetic group.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Nothing personal but the infatuation to model this team like the Islanders....

I mean they aren’t bad, but there are multiple other clubs that I would choose to emulate things from first.

They win some games sure, but it’s a product as boring as dirt. They seem to be pumping the propaganda machine at increasing the grit of the team.

Talent wins championships first and foremost, and just because they can’t find a true young star to take the torch from the older core - shouldn’t eliminate the fact that true upper tier talent remains the biggest hole.

Reactions: Audible Velvet

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
This team is SOFT. Lacking in tenacity, competitiveness, & heaviness. Very weak in puck & positional battles.

Hextall’s prospects are looking overwhelmingly like meek busts. His era will be looked back upon as a complete disaster.

They need to change the culture, all right. Gone should be pushovers/low-motor guys like Sanheim, Myers, & Patrick. Frost, too, is the last type of player this team needs.

They need players who are willing to crash & fight for the puck & positioning. Guys who seek contact & will take hits rather than avoid confrontation. Guys willing to play north/south. More Islander-type players.

That, & bringing in a goalie who can actually play, will do wonders to change the culture of this pathetic group.

giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I mean they aren’t bad, but there are multiple other clubs that I would choose to emulate things from first.

They win some games sure, but it’s a product as boring as dirt.

We're not going to sign the next Panarin in FA, we're probably not picking in the top 5 anytime soon.
So we need to emulate the teams that win without superstars, Vegas, the Blues, etc.
It took a lot of suckatude for Colorado and Edmonton to get their stars. Crosby covers a lot of crap up in Pittsburgh, Ovechkin outscores mistakes in Washington.
On the other hand, Nico and Hughes have yet to move the needle. Sucking for dollars doesn't always work.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

They win some games sure, but it’s a product as boring as dirt.
The point is they need to do what the Islanders did & ship out soft, non-confrontational, & low-motor players & replace them with players who aren’t afraid to take hits & to crash into dirty areas.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
FWIW I could see a scenario where we trade for PK Subban.

I know that's nuts and likely an awful idea, but I can see it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, I think Fletcher is pretty much committed to the youth movement.
Hasn't traded a prospect yet, just extended a 26 year old forward, his big signing was a 27 year old center.
Only over 30 players added were short-term deals, Niskanen, Braun.

If he trades youth and prospects, I'll bet it's for a player 26 and under, if he adds veterans, it'll be on short-term deals.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

They win some games sure, but it’s a product as boring as dirt. They seem to be pumping the propaganda machine at increasing the grit of the team.

Talent wins championships first and foremost, and just because they can’t find a true young star to take the torch from the older core - shouldn’t eliminate the fact that true upper tier talent remains the biggest hole.

The only model in the NHL other teams should try to duplicate are the Tampa Bay Lightning. If you can't be Tampa, find a way to blaze your own trail.

Reactions: flyerslducks

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia

I have this concern. I love the physical elements in the game, love guys getti g hit legally and all that, but don't trust them to temper that desire with the best talent.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm still waiting to hear a single good reason why the team needs a major shakeup or a leadership/culture change.

If we acknowledge that the two biggest problems are the coaching and the goaltending - which obviously they are - then we should be able to see that the current results are not an accurate representation of the skaters ability. So what are we accomplishing by blowing up a roster that isn't even bad? Change for the sake of change? Doing that does absolutely nothing if the coaching and goaltending keep sucking, since those are by far the two biggest problems.

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I'm still waiting to hear a single good reason why the team needs a major shakeup or a leadership/culture change.

If we acknowledge that the two biggest problems are the coaching and the goaltending - which obviously they are - then we should be able to see that the current results are not an accurate representation of the skaters ability. So what are we accomplishing by blowing up a roster that isn't even bad? Change for the sake of change? Doing that does absolutely nothing if the coaching and goaltending keep sucking, since those are by far the two biggest problems.
Well, when you consider that they need to get rid of:
Fletcher
The entire coaching staff
Braun and Hagg
Hayes
Scotty
NAK
Elliott

You end up with a major shakeup.

Sadly Chuckles is going nowhere and the entire coaching staff may well be back. Oh, and the shakeup will be getting rid of one or both of JVR/Jake along with Ghost.

Yay team

kill me

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Fletcher
Braun and Hagg
Hayes
Scotty
NAK
Elliott

You end up with a major shakeup.

Sadly Chuckles is going nowhere and the entire coaching staff may well be back. Oh, and the shakeup will be getting rid of one or both of JVR/Jake along with Ghost.

Yay team

kill me
I meant a core shakeup, like getting rid of one or more of Couturier, Giroux, Voracek, TK, Ghost, Sanheim, Provorov, or other good/young players.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009

People are going by what they expect will happen. Fletcher said no changes are coming to coaching. Maybe he's not telling the full truth on that but we have no idea. We have to assume the coaching is staying the same. If it is, the roster is what will change.

I say keep Giroux and one of the other high priced forwards and trade two (JVR and Vorecek would be my picks). Probably move on from Patrick and try to land Eichel, Hamilton, Evander Kane, Hertl, or somebody.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The only model in the NHL other teams should try to duplicate are the Tampa Bay Lightning. If you can't be Tampa, find a way to blaze your own trail.

So a few top scorers, bottom six full of muckers and a big, physical defense.

And find a top 5 goaltender.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher
Braun and Hagg
Hayes
Scotty
NAK
Elliott

Elliott is gone.
Braun, Hagg and NAK aren't a shakeup. Switching out 3rd pair and 4th line players is a non-event
Laughton is fine, one of the few players with a consistent motor. And again, switching out a bottom six player isn't a "shake up."
So basically Hayes, who can't be moved until after 21-22.

Notice all the players who play the lion share of minutes aren't on your list, so you want to change the team by changing players who have a minor impact on winning or losing?

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Elliott is gone.
Braun, Hagg and NAK aren't a shakeup. Switching out 3rd pair and 4th line players is a non-event
Laughton is fine, one of the few players with a consistent motor. And again, switching out a bottom six player isn't a "shake up."
So basically Hayes, who can't be moved until after 21-22.

Notice all the players who play the lion share of minutes aren't on your list, so you want to change the team by changing players who have a minor impact on winning or losing?
Hayes doesn’t play significant minutes?
Season average: 18:01
And Hagg (recently) and Braun seem to be getting top 4 usage.

Nice try
upload_2021-4-14_15-1-37.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad