Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospect Development Tracker

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Pretty sure almost all of nills 1st , second and 3rd round picks have played in world juniors over the last few years . Harley , dellandrea , Otter , gruryanov , Robertson , Eriksson , back , tufte. Bourque will also play next year . Only reason they don’t have a lot each year is they don’t have a ton of draft picks each year .

Reactions: Dallasman

serp

Jan 17, 2016
His last 4 drafts haven been pretty good. The fact that 2014 was complete dud is still a massive problem though

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
If only the Stars would stop making the playoffs and instead tank for several years, then we too could have a bunch of prospects in the WJC!

If only we could make some half decent selections that were good players and actually played in the WJC.

2014 Entry
DraftNum.RoundPlayerPosDrafted FromGPGAPtsPIM
2014 Entry141Julius HonkaDSwift Current Broncos [WHL]872111328
2014 Entry452Brett PollockLEdmonton Oil Kings [WHL]
2014 Entry753Alex PetersDPlymouth Whalers [OHL]
2014 Entry1054Michael PrapavessisDToronto Lakeshore Patriots [OJHL]
2014 Entry1154Brent MoranGNiagara IceDogs [OHL]
2014 Entry1355Miro KarjalainenDJokerit (Finland Jrs.)
2014 Entry1546Aaron HaydonDNiagara IceDogs [OHL]
2014 Entry1656John NybergDFrolunda (Sweden Jrs.)
2014 Entry1957Patrick SanvidoDWindsor Spitfires [OHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

serp

Jan 17, 2016
When we sucked and missed the playoffs year after year did we have 9 prospects in the WJC?

We never really sucked. The team was never worse than 8th worst IRC . Just one time lucked out in the lottery but the team ittself never bottomed out.

Reactions: LT

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
We never really sucked. The team was never worse than 8th worst IRC . Just one time lucked out in the lottery but the team ittself never bottomed out.

True.

Like that year we missed the playoffs in the final game of the season against Minnesota (when they had nothing to play for)... what a joke of a team that was. Zero effort in the last game.. almost like they didn't want to play more hockey.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
True.

Like that year we missed the playoffs in the final game of the season against Minnesota (when they had nothing to play for)... what a joke of a team that was. Zero effort in the last game.. almost like they didn't want to play more hockey.

The last years of the Morrow/Richards core really sucked. Team just gave zero f***s. We complained alot about the Benn/Seguin core before last years run but it was never as bad as the Morrow core that only got out of the first round 1 season and otherwise choked every year .

Reactions: LT

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The thing I loved about that article were the updates from Peverley and Johansson (Euro scout). The thing I REALLY loved from that article ... White on Point. That was brutal honesty ... almost to the point of indifference. He basically said Point is getting a job this year because there aren't other options right now, and he better do something with that gift.

“You count the chairs, and the chairs are kind of empty right now,” Stars assistant general manager Scott White said. “What are you going to do with it? Are you just going to take it without really grabbing it, or are you going to grab it? We’ll see. It’s really ultimately up to Colton and how he has addressed his offseason and how he’s managed this pause in the game. We’ll see where it is. We’ll find out soon.”

“I think his season last season was OK,” White said. “He needs to find some consistency in his game and ultimately decide if he’s going to grab it. It’s really much like other positions, it’s ultimately up to Colton whether he grabs it or not.”

Reactions: Kcb12345
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
If only we could make some half decent selections that were good players and actually played in the WJC.

2014 Entry
DraftNum.RoundPlayerPosDrafted FromGPGAPtsPIM
2014 Entry141Julius HonkaDSwift Current Broncos [WHL]872111328
2014 Entry452Brett PollockLEdmonton Oil Kings [WHL]
2014 Entry753Alex PetersDPlymouth Whalers [OHL]
2014 Entry1054Michael PrapavessisDToronto Lakeshore Patriots [OJHL]
2014 Entry1154Brent MoranGNiagara IceDogs [OHL]
2014 Entry1355Miro KarjalainenDJokerit (Finland Jrs.)
2014 Entry1546Aaron HaydonDNiagara IceDogs [OHL]
2014 Entry1656John NybergDFrolunda (Sweden Jrs.)
2014 Entry1957Patrick SanvidoDWindsor Spitfires [OHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2014 is ancient history at this point, and one bad draft class shouldn't define Nill's entire career. I bet we could come up with a similar list for almost every 5+ year veteran GM in the league.

The Stars were a 2020 Cup Finalist and 2019 2nd round exit to the eventual Cup Winner, so lets compare like with like:

Tampa Bay - 2
St. Louis - 0
Boston - 2

So with 1, Dallas is performing about as expected.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
2014 is ancient history at this point, and one bad draft class shouldn't define Nill's entire career. I bet we could come up with a similar list for almost every 5+ year veteran GM in the league.

The Stars were a 2020 Cup Finalist and 2019 2nd round exit to the eventual Cup Winner, so lets compare like with like:

Tampa Bay - 2
St. Louis - 0
Boston - 2

So with 1, Dallas is performing about as expected.

2014 was exeptionally bad. A team not getting anything out of a full draft is not normal. The other years i can accept but not that year . Even back then it looked wierd with how many defenseman got drafted.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
2014 was exeptionally bad. A team not getting anything out of a full draft is not normal. The other years i can accept but not that year . Even back then it looked wierd with how many defenseman got drafted.

The other weird thing about that year was right shot D was a big need in the NHL, and it seems like they drafted for need in the 1st round which is the worst thing you can do. IIRC ... I'm almost positive Nill specifically saying right shot D was a big need which seemed odd to me at the time. It wasn't odd that it was need because it was. You just never think about need at the NHL level when you're drafting. That entire drat was about need .... they had very little D in the prospect pool at the time ... and that draft served as a pretty good example of why that is idiotic.

Now ... I'm probably dangerously walking a line of hypocrisy, but I think what they did this year is similar but done the correct way. They didn't draft a bunch of forwards because of lack of forward depth. Instead, there seemed to be a philosophy change where they focused on skill and were willing to take a highly skilled player who was very much boom or bust instead of going for the safer prospects. It's also a philosophy other teams have had success with. They weren't taking a forward for the sake of taking a forward ... that's the wrong move. I think the reason this was a wiser move even if the guys don't pan out is they were at least taking a shot on skill, something you need to win in the league, and something that is a much bigger risk that you've avoided in the past.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The other weird thing about that year was right shot D was a big need in the NHL, and it seems like they drafted for need in the 1st round which is the worst thing you can do. IIRC ... I'm almost positive Nill specifically saying right shot D was a big need which seemed odd to me at the time. It wasn't odd that it was need because it was. You just never think about need at the NHL level when you're drafting. That entire drat was about need .... they had very little D in the prospect pool at the time ... and that draft served as a pretty good example of why that is idiotic.

Now ... I'm probably dangerously walking a line of hypocrisy, but I think what they did this year is similar but done the correct way. They didn't draft a bunch of forwards because of lack of forward depth. Instead, there seemed to be a philosophy change where they focused on skill and were willing to take a highly skilled player who was very much boom or bust instead of going for the safer prospects. It's also a philosophy other teams have had success with. They weren't taking a forward for the sake of taking a forward ... that's the wrong move. I think the reason this was a wiser move even if the guys don't pan out is they were at least taking a shot on skill, something you need to win in the league, and something that is a much bigger risk that you've avoided in the past.

Also in 2020 unlike 2014 the Stars only had late round picks after the first round since they traded all the midround picks. Might as well go boom or bust with late round picks in a year you don't have that many picks anyway. 2014 they had 9 picks and a pick in every round and got absolutely nothing . Honka is back now but no way he stlll becomes a regular player for the Stars.

2014 in hindsight wasn't a great draft but going 0 for 9 is just stupid.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Wrong? In the last three years, we have had 6 players in the WJC.

This year alone, Anaheim has 6. Red Wings have 7. Kings have 9. Devils have 6. Leafs have 6.
Seems to be average for a middling team, 4 years ago we had 6 prospects in the tournament. Boo hoo

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
There were some SHL Games this week.

Ljungman didn't score on Monday, but he played over 12 minutes. I think that's the most he's played this year which isn't surprising considering his play recently.

Karlstrom had a goal and an assist on Monday playing Peterson, Back, and Eriksson's team. Färjestad lost, and those three didn't factor into the scoring.

Karlstrom's goal:

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
DeFranks is pretty low on Oksentyuk. In no way is he 23rd on the prospect list. I realize after probably 5 or 6 players it's likely a crapshoot but he is top 12 or 13 at worst right now. I dunno maybe it is recency bias for me. Jared Rosburg? Lmao come on.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Oksentyuk is older and he's tiny so i get the skepticism about him.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I was kinda hoping for more out of Oksentyuk in his 19/20 year old season, doesn't seem like he's doing much in a weaker league. Or maybe I'm just undervaluing the Belarusian league, I'll plead ignorance I suppose.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
I was kinda hoping for more out of Oksentyuk in his 19/20 year old season, doesn't seem like he's doing much in a weaker league. Or maybe I'm just undervaluing the Belarusian league, I'll plead ignorance I suppose.
It seems a lot of the European leagues play a more defensive game and it may be the case in Belarus too...???

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Hard to comment on his play because I know nothing about the league.. but if you go stat watching.. a 20 year old 7th round pick of Detroit from 2019 is second on the team in points.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Harley has been good in wjc . Not much flash there but plays a very steady game . Good defensive stick and is always able to get back and defend . Great puck mover aswell . Stars are gonna have a good blue line for a while .

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Harley has been good in wjc . Not much flash there but plays a very steady game . Good defensive stick and is always able to get back and defend . Great puck mover aswell . Stars are gonna have a good blue line for a while .
There was a time when we believed that could never happen. In that context, drafting nearly all skill forwards this year makes sense. Because that's what we have a hard time believing now, lol.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There was a time when we believed that could never happen. In that context, drafting nearly all skill forwards this year makes sense. Because that's what we have a hard time believing now, lol.

In hindsight Nills decision to let the whole blueline walk in UFA after the 2016 playoffs turned out to be absolutely correct. Even if it set the team back for a bit.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

He has played pretty good, stable play, good first passes, can control the puck. I thought he would lead the rush a bit more and create more offense but he seems to be more inclined to just play it a bit safer.

His defensive game is OK.. but net front needs more work and I feel like he is going to get beat on the outside at the NHL level with his current gap and positioning.

But.. we knew that his defensive game needs some more seasoning so it's not surprising.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad