Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospect Development Tracker

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
He has played pretty good, stable play, good first passes, can control the puck. I thought he would lead the rush a bit more and create more offense but he seems to be more inclined to just play it a bit safer.

His defensive game is OK.. but net front needs more work and I feel like he is going to get beat on the outside at the NHL level with his current gap and positioning.

But.. we knew that his defensive game needs some more seasoning so it's not surprising.
I think we will get a better look at who’s who when they play a good team . That was an easy round robin / quarter final for Canada . Seems like they are using him more as a shutdown guy now that they’ve switched him with drysdale on the pp. IMO he looks like the most nhl ready dman on Canada , probably the tourney . Mostly impressed with just his poise I think . Just so calm all the time .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Good . Should probably bring Bourque too if the QMJHL doesn't continue.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Yup, get them acclimated with the organization is always good. Never had a Traverse tournament, or summer camp so we need to get these guys involved.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
17. Albin Eriksson, RW, 20 (Färjestad BK)
Here’s the thing about Albin Eriksson. When he plays against his peers, he typically flashes tangible, noticeable talent with the puck for a 6-foot-4, 200-plus pound player, getting to inside lanes with ease as an above-average handler for his size. When he has played against men, he has struggled mightily to generate more than perimeter shots or little tips at the net-front, though. This year, he has looked like a complete non-factor in my viewings (so much so that I went back and watched all of his shots on goal to see if I’d missed anything in games I didn’t watch, only to find zero chances of consequence).

Wheeler’s 2021 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 21 Dallas Stars

Reactions: Smelling Salt

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Even though Tufte was a 1st round pick ... I'd say Albin's fall is going to be much steeper overall. Albin probably isn't even an AHLer at this point. Peverley said they wouldn't bring him to Texas until he can produce in Sweden.

Tufte has a shot in 1 or 2 years to be an NHL regular in the Bottom 6 and PK.

Reactions: Henderson33

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Even though Tufte was a 1st round pick ... I'd say Albin's fall is going to be much steeper overall. Albin probably isn't even an AHLer at this point. Peverley said they wouldn't bring him to Texas until he can produce in Sweden.

Tufte has a shot in 1 or 2 years to be an NHL regular in the Bottom 6 and PK.
Well at least there wasn’t too many guys drafted after him that are doing great .

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
It's time to stop drafting 6'4 and 6'5 forwards who dominate against peers half their size.

This past draft shows that MAYBE our scouting department has finally caught on that their strategy doesn't work.

Eriksson, Tufte, Douglas, Loewen, Hawel, Martenet, Peters, Karjalainen, etc. etc.

None stop wasted picks (especially the last six) who were massive long shots but shoot up our board to mid-round picks because they are BIG.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Peters ,Martenet and Karjalainen are defenseman . Not that really changes the point but back then the scouting team loved drafting big burly defenseman as well. The only one that ever worked out is Oleksiak and thats because for his size he's a fantastic skater and it only worked after he first was traded because the 3 coaching staffs he played under with the Stars the first go around tried to make him a defensive defenseman and he's not that. He's a big guy sure but loves to skate with the puck.

Loewen i give kind of a pass . He was drafted for the nice story and never his ability. Gaglardi probably told the team to draft the kid from his WHL team because of his story and they did. Wasted 7th round pick but it is what it is.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
In reality, Jamie O is probably nearly every teams prototype defenseman now - big, fast, and he hits. I doubt he will ever be a Chris Pronger, but now that he is confident in all areas, maybe he can come close.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
In reality, Jamie O is probably nearly every teams prototype defenseman now - big, fast, and he hits. I doubt he will ever be a Chris Pronger, but now that he is confident in all areas, maybe he can come close.

It's what GM's envision when they draft a 6'4-6'7 kid but most of those are a) not that good at hockey skills and more importantly b) are not mobile enough for the NHL .

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah I saw that on Twitter earlier and was surprised. Didn't realize they were back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->