Prospect Info: 2020-21 NCAA, CHL, OHL and European prospects thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Where is the professional scout in here who has an awesome track record of hardly ever being right ?
If you have something you would like to discuss I'm open to discussing it via private message, the way you are going about this is quite childish. Absolutely nothing I said about Mercer was incorrect.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
On second though, I don't have the time to discuss my views on prospects with those who simply don't watch any games. I have been following/watching prospects since 2001, I have been wrong many times. One thing I that I have learned isn't to stay wrong. I may have been optimistic reading reports and digging into the stats immediately following the draft, but I have been quick to learn from my mistakes once I really watched a player. I will simply be ignoring the posters who enjoy "hit and run" comments without substantiating their argument. Also, it's much easier to just post on Twitter where people have the option to follow or not, which is what I will likely do moving forward.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
On second though, I don't have the time to discuss my views on prospects with those who simply don't watch any games. I have been following/watching prospects since 2001, I have been wrong many times. One thing I that I have learned isn't to stay wrong. I may have been optimistic reading reports and digging into the stats immediately following the draft, but I have been quick to learn from my mistakes once I really watched a player. I will simply be ignoring the posters who enjoy "hit and run" comments without substantiating their argument. Also, it's much easier to just post on Twitter where people have the option to follow or not, which is what I will likely do moving forward.

I'm not a twitter guy, but from what my kids tell me, people can be pretty snarky on there as well. In my view, your participation here should be for the interaction with those you enjoy interacting with. You shouldn't let the negative voices sway you. I for one enjoy your insights since I don't get to watch much hockey beyond the NJ games and some Stars games since I live in their TV market. It's not about being right or wrong to me, it's about sharing what you see by watching and maybe comparing it to what you've seen previously. NHL teams are wrong all the time. It's the nature of drafting 18 year old kids. As long as you explain your preferences and biases from time to time I think your approach is really worthwhile and I look forward to reading it.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
No one is a seer here and the more opinions about players one puts out the more prone to being wrong we are because they’re humans with complex futures ahead of them. All the scouting and all the stats can only get us so far. I don’t get what the “hardly ever right” nonsense is about and why your takes are inexplicably seen as a problem by one poster.

I did think it was premature to say Mercer was flat out having a bad season with so few games played under odd circumstances but obviously you can be disappointed with his numbers at anytime. That’s not an illogical stance. Everyone, and I’m not certainly immune to this, can get touchy and weirdly defensive about their team, it’s players and prospects.

I enjoy your posts and would love for your contributions to continue here but if you feel like this dog piling was a bit much, and maybe it was, then I can’t tell that this is a worthwhile way to spend your time.

I do consider you very knowledgeable about prospects, and hockey, and I personally have a lot of respect for you, for whatever that’s worth. People play “you not a real expert card” here I still don’t understand why since this literally exists so enthusiasts of all levels can discuss these topics at length. Why come here then if you don’t want to read these sorts of opinions?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
No one is a seer here and the more opinions about players one puts out the more prone to being wrong we are because they’re humans with complex futures ahead of them. All the scouting and all the stats can only get us so far. I don’t get what the “hardly ever right” nonsense is about and why your takes are inexplicably seen as a problem by one poster.

I did think it was premature to say Mercer was flat out having a bad season with so few games played under odd circumstances but obviously you can be disappointed with his numbers at anytime. That’s not an illogical stance. Everyone, and I’m not certainly immune to this, can get touchy and weirdly defensive about their team, it’s players and prospects.

I enjoy your posts and would love for your contributions to continue here but if you feel like this dog piling was a bit much, and maybe it was, then I can’t tell that this is a worthwhile way to spend your time.

I do consider you very knowledgeable about prospects, and hockey, and I personally have a lot of respect for you, for whatever that’s worth. People play “you not a real expert card” here I still don’t understand why since this literally exists so enthusiasts of all levels can discuss these topics at length. Why come here then if you don’t want to read these sorts of opinions?
It's not the critiques that annoy me, if I make comments on a player I full expect to have to rationalize my thoughts. It is the hit and run shots without any basis. I have been wrong on many players, as has every scouting staff in the NHL. If there are specific cases that frustrate posters then tell me and I will try to explain why I rated them as such.

I believe this only originated when I said Holtz had a poor WJC and looked to be a North South sniper at the next level. I stand by those comments and nobody provided any real reasoning as to why this was incorrect. How many plays did he make with the puck in the offensive zone, how many times did he used his skating to create separation, did he show the capacity to drive play against his peers. Much of what he did was one and done in the offensive zone. You can chalk this up as a poor tournament with no coaching but you can't completely discount it.

It was McLeod's first WJC where I put the brakes on and started to see he didn't have the finishing ability, playmaking nor the ability to create space against defenders in the offensive zone. If he didn't create something off the rush with his straight end speed if wasn't going to happen. Shortly after I made (probably outlandish) comments that Bastian would be a better center at the pro level. I was off on that statement but where my head was at was in regards to his ability to create offense below the hashmarks, something I still believe Bastian is much better at.

Either way. Pizzanpucks, I am sorry if I let you down. The organization hasn't exactly done a good job developing anything over the last 15 years, regardless if they had talent in Jr. (Blake Speers, I'm looking at you)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Keep posting on here. I love your contributions!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It's not the critiques that annoy me, if I make comments on a player I full expect to have to rationalize my thoughts. It is the hit and run shots without any basis. I have been wrong on many players, as has every scouting staff in the NHL. If there are specific cases that frustrate posters then tell me and I will try to explain why I rated them as such.

I believe this only originated when I said Holtz had a poor WJC and looked to be a North South sniper at the next level. I stand by those comments and nobody provided any real reasoning as to why this was incorrect. How many plays did he make with the puck in the offensive zone, how many times did he used his skating to create separation, did he show the capacity to drive play against his peers. Much of what he did was one and done in the offensive zone. You can chalk this up as a poor tournament with no coaching but you can't completely discount it.

It was McLeod's first WJC where I put the brakes on and started to see he didn't have the finishing ability, playmaking nor the ability to create space against defenders in the offensive zone. If he didn't create something off the rush with his straight end speed if wasn't going to happen. Shortly after I made (probably outlandish) comments that Bastian would be a better center at the pro level. I was off on that statement but where my head was at was in regards to his ability to create offense below the hashmarks, something I still believe Bastian is much better at.

Either way. Pizzanpucks, I am sorry if I let you down. The organization hasn't exactly done a good job developing anything over the last 15 years, regardless if they had talent in Jr. (Blake Speers, I'm looking at you)

I think everyone needs to listen to @Jason MacIsaac here. It's tough enough to evaluate prospects for right now when the nature of what you do is such that you're constantly forced to defend every mistake you've ever made in the past to whomever disagrees with your current opinion.

You must have strong convictions in this type of prospect writing. Sometimes you look great, sometimes not so much. Every year Jason -- much like myself -- gets a few things wrong. But he also gets a lot of things right, and he always explains his reasoning comprehensively and logically. We're fortunate to have him on these boards.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
God almighty I wish we had a better Devils fan source for prospects than this blog. Don’t get me wrong, I like that they’re tracking prospects, but it’s the only thing they do right. It’s so crushingly dull to read at best and that article was no exception. And that’s just one of the several problems I have with it.

Wasn’t there someone in the Devils subreddit who did prospect rundowns? What happened to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad