Prospect Info: 2020-21 NCAA, CHL, OHL and European prospects thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Playing Devil's Advocate with Reilly, he's presumably one year away from finishing his degree so he has more academic incentive to stick around whereas Drury/Rathbone were incoming juniors. From a CBA point of view, it makes more sense for Walsh to sign in the spring since he would have to sign a 2 year ELC. If he signed right now, he'd have to sign a 3 year ELC since he's 21. Vancouver signed Rathbone a couple weeks ago and he gets to burn his first year in 2019-20 but I think that window is closed now.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves still high on McCarthy? I am.

Oh, absolutely. I would rank him just above Reilly Walsh as the top RD in the Devils organization, and I like Walsh.

Case McCarthy is just so tough to beat one one one, and his skating and outlet passing are both very good. He's never going to score a ton, but he's far from a liability with the puck like some physical, stay-at-home types. McCarthy is extremely tough to beat, especially down low. He just makes opposing forwards work and fight for every inch of ice.

I really liked what I saw from McCarthy at Boston University this past season. He's just the rock that allows his goalie and fellow 4 skaters to play their game and not worry. I would say McCarthy has a very high floor as a steady and physical third-pairing NHL-er with the possibility of improving his Seabrook-esque puck skills enough to become a good second-pairing, shut-down guy.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Does Vukojevic have a future here? I remember liking the pick but haven't heard much of him since

Yes, as a third-pairing Borowiecki-type physical, shut-down guy. It might have disappointed some that his offensive game did not really improve in his draft+1 campaign with Kitchener of the OHL, but that's not really why the Devils drafted him, anyway. I think the reason we don't hear about Vukojevic is that, as of now, he's probably behind similar-type LD Bahl, Okhotyuk and Misyul on the organizational depth chart.

IceCold

Jan 19, 2018
Bahl, Okhotyuk and Misyul are all 2000 born players and went higher in the draft. Vukojevic is 2001 born and the youngest of the bunch. Projected full season points Bahl 39, Okhotyuk 33, Vukojevic 32

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Bahl, Okhotyuk and Misyul are all 2000 born players and went higher in the draft. Vukojevic is 2001 born and the youngest of the bunch. Projected full season points Bahl 39, Okhotyuk 33, Vukojevic 32

I'd say Bahl and Okhotyuk are both superior defensive players right now, better with skating/positioning/gap control, so I would rank them above Vukojevic. This is not a slight on Vukojevic, whom I really like.

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Oh, absolutely. I would rank him just above Reilly Walsh as the top RD in the Devils organization, and I like Walsh.

Case McCarthy is just so tough to beat one one one, and his skating and outlet passing are both very good. He's never going to score a ton, but he's far from a liability with the puck like some physical, stay-at-home types. McCarthy is extremely tough to beat, especially down low. He just makes opposing forwards work and fight for every inch of ice.

I really liked what I saw from McCarthy at Boston University this past season. He's just the rock that allows his goalie and fellow 4 skaters to play their game and not worry. I would say McCarthy has a very high floor as a steady and physical third-pairing NHL-er with the possibility of improving his Seabrook-esque puck skills enough to become a good second-pairing, shut-down guy.
Glad I'm not the only one who believes that is the Case. Pun fully intended.

side note, I am a bit surprised Bernard wasn't signed. I thought he had some bottom pairing/pk potential if for nothing else to be in Bing.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Glad I'm not the only one who believes that is the Case. Pun fully intended.

side note, I am a bit surprised Bernard wasn't signed. I thought he had some bottom pairing/pk potential if for nothing else to be in Bing.

Keep in mind, I was pretty much alone in the world in ranking Case McCarthy as a borderline first-rounder for the 2019 draft. I love the kid. As a member of a declining prospect-analyst community which judges defensemen more on defensive play than point-producing-potential, I think McCarthy is a prototypical bottom-4 stud -- a kid who can skate, hit, shut down the opposition and adequately move the puck up ice. He'll stand up for his teammates and be his goaltender's best friend. Nothing not to like about his game.

Xavier Bernard never really progressed in the QMJHL in terms of his play with the puck. Without the puck he was a good player, but not the dominant defensive force you want from a guy who projects to be a 10-20 point, third pairing guy at the NHL level. Don't get me wrong, I still would have given him a shot at the AHL level, but I suppose the Devils scouting staff soured on him somewhat, for whatever reason. Hopefully, the kid will get a shot somewhere else, and with the Seattle expansion team there will be a few more job openings at the AHL level.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Last year's draft looks a lot better than it did on draft day. Okhotyuk and Misyul have a chance as the physical shutdown guy we're going to need to contrast smaller puck movers. Clarke has a chance as a shooter. Vukojevic I'm meh on but he has tools that haven't translated to offense. Thompson is the biggest surprise and he might even have top 6 potential. McCarthy people seem to like as a shutdown guy on the right side. Hope one of Gritsyuk or Pasic could be a late Euro skill find like Bratt. And Moynihan seems like the Swiss Army knife that excels in the bottom 6. That's an optimistic view but many of them weren't just throwaway picks like they were made out to be

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking/

96: Kevin Bahl, New Jersey Devils

51: Nolan Foote, New Jersey Devils

9: Ty Smith, New Jersey Devils

Exciting to see the Devils seemingly have some impact prospects close to ready. I was interested to see the Nolan comment since I recall Tampa fans claiming that they kept the far better of the 2 brothers. Last years camp made me pump the breaks on my sky high expectations for Ty. I’m just hoping that it did end up that a combination of coming into camp banged up/ a horrible defensive system was a huge part of why he didn’t get the 9 game tryout.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Exciting to see the Devils seemingly have some impact prospects close to ready. I was interested to see the Nolan comment since I recall Tampa fans claiming that they kept the far better of the 2 brothers. Last years camp made me pump the breaks on my sky high expectations for Ty. I’m just hoping that it did end up that a combination of coming into camp banged up/ a horrible defensive system was a huge part of why he didn’t get the 9 game tryout.

He looked tentative and sluggish to my eyes last camp. He seemingly started he year slowly and didn’t turn it on until after the WJC. He took his game to another level down the stretch. I think we see the development we expected at the next camp whenever it might happen.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He looked tentative and sluggish to my eyes last camp. He seemingly started he year slowly and didn’t turn it on until after the WJC. He took his game to another level down the stretch. I think we see the development we expected at the next camp whenever it might happen.
I remember it coming out that Smith was injured in WHL playoffs and he had some lingering issues in camp and early in the season. It doesn’t really matter since he improved and if a really strong camp meant he would have stayed in Jersey then I’m glad he was bad enough to avoid that mess.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I remember it coming out that Smith was injured in WHL playoffs and he had some lingering issues in camp and early in the season. It doesn’t really matter since he improved and if a really strong camp meant he would have stayed in Jersey then I’m glad he was bad enough to avoid that mess.

I watched him fairly closely at the WJC and he looked solid but unspectacular to my eyes. He absolutely exploded down the stretch in the WHL so something clicked or maybe he just healed up. Either way it set him up nicely to make the jump to NJ. I expect him to be one of the beneficiaries of an expanded roster of those happen until the AHL can start again.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad