Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

The plan is basically what I was expecting, except he excluding the FA for acquiring a top-6 guy. This would mean he is looking for a young player than paying for older players. The defensemen in LaCombe and Thrun are two that could be traded off as we're stacked on the left side now that we have Fleury in tow. I think D Ian Moore might be turning heads too.

I thought he would go into the failures of the PP, but instead we get that we're not drawing enough PP's. That's cool and all, but why were we incapable of putting the puck in the back of the net on the PP is a bigger concern to me?

The middle aged veterans must embrace the youth because they're now the future. Otherwise, we get a Drew Doughty response about the youth group. heh heh heh To be fair, the Kings' vet did carry the team in Kopitar, Doughty, and Brown in scoring as they were their top-3. Our veterans weren't so embracing of carrying the team.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
On coach Dallas Eakins
Again, a few of the younger players, we can identify where they're going to be now. I think he did a very good job at that. I think he definitely, and this is what we're assessing now with the coaching staff, he needs some help going forward with the group we have. So that's one thing we are doing. We're reassessing the whole coaching staff and obviously we've got criteria, what type of people we need to help Dallas going forward. It was a heavy load, but when it started to go south, he hung in there. But we've got to get him somebody to help with the power play. He's got to communicate with the players. He's got to be free to just go around. What he does best is communicate, and he's got to do it. And that's why we're reevaluating the whole coaching staff up and down the organization.
There's a lot to unpack here.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
He's got to communicate with the players. He's got to be free to just go around. What he does best is communicate, and he's got to do it. And that's why we're reevaluating the whole coaching staff up and down the organization.

That's the part that really was interesting. Murray is so inarticulate but it seems like what he's saying is Eakins just wasn't able to get through to some guys because of the environment. i wonder if they try to bring in an assistant who's been around for a while because obviously Eakins ain't going anywhere.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
It seems like he had a real tough time with the veteran players. The picture that seems to be being painted is a tenured coach has to be there to keep the vets in line, and that's a problem.
This is a pretty fair assessment I think. Several here, myself included, had commented on the lackluster play of the vets and suggested Eakins was having trouble reaching, them, motivating them, corralling them, whatever. It's a difficult situation for Bob, because the kids, who are making meaningful progress under DE, are the future of the club; but the vets are the current backbone of the team, and he's losing them. When Bob says the vets "need to embrace the rebuild," I think he means the vets have got to get with the program and actually help the kids grow and develop. Thusfar DE hasn't been able to do that, hence he needs help. Indeed, it seemed to me that Rico was the vet who worked best with the kids, but he's not enough.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
This is a pretty fair assessment I think. Several here, myself included, had commented on the lackluster play of the vets and suggested Eakins was having trouble reaching, them, motivating them, corralling them, whatever. It's a difficult situation for Bob, because the kids, who are making meaningful progress under DE, are the future of the club; but the vets are the current backbone of the team, and he's losing them. When Bob says the vets "need to embrace the rebuild," I think he means the vets have got to get with the program and actually help the kids grow and develop. Thusfar DE hasn't been able to do that, hence he needs help. Indeed, it seemed to me that Rico was the vet who worked best with the kids, but he's not enough.
Completely agree. The more that comes out the more it seems like the room was completely fractured and eakins had much better relationships with the kids.

The ironic part is that means he is pretty much the perfect coach for a rebuild. An older, more experienced coach might resonate better with the veteran guys but might be unable to nurture the kids.

Hopefully Bob is able to cut bait on those guys who didn't put in the effort to be part of the solution going forward.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Struggling with veteran players isn't something new to Eakins, exact same reason they laughed him out of the building in Edmonton. Don't think it can just be blamed on veteran players 'not buying in'.
I'd be very curious what you think eakins is doing behind closed doors to cause these guys to shit the bed like they have.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'd be very curious what you think eakins is doing behind closed doors to cause these guys to shit the bed like they have.
Well, that’s not necessarily the point I don’t think. A massive part of his job is getting these veteran players to buy in and compete every night. Sure, a certain amount of that has to be individual accountability for players. But you are a motivator as anNHL head coach

Him only being able to get through to young players is a big hurdle he faces.

But obviously as fans we don’t know the whole story

If Murray views it as a problem for him though, I think that’s deeply concerning. He has had trouble with it in the past

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
My point is: managing egos is crucial in sports. Let’s face it, these guys are mostly massive primma donnas that have been spoiled rotten financially for years. Getting them to focus on their effort on the ice is a huge part of Eakins’ job.

If he can’t do that, he can’t coach here
I'm of the opinion that that is more of a reflection of the players than the coach. It isn't the first time it's happened, nor the first coach.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
The old guys that don't want to buy in can kick rocks. As long as Eakins is getting through to the young guys and helping them become better he's fine by me.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m guessing these vets Murray is referring to are Rakell and Henrique? He didn’t mention any specific names did he?

Oct 18, 2011
Also thought "we need to add to our top 6 forwards, there's 2 ways to do that, trade and draft" was pretty funny. Shows we likely won't be in on any top free agent forwards, though we never are. Funny of him to confirm this is the case once again though.
In this instance I agree with him. There arent any A list guys this year, we have enough B and C players already. Last thing we should do is give a gross contract to someone like RNH

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Bringing in an experienced coach to "assist" Eakins would be eerily like the Boudreau-MacLean situation from a few years back. Everybody knew that MacLean could easily take over in case they had to quickly get rid of Boudreau.

Now, whether it was due to merit or simple patience, BB was given the benefit of the doubt despite our horrible start in 15-16. Eakins doesn't have BB's merit and I don't think Bob would be that patient this time around, so IMO Eakins' leash will be a lot shorter...

Oct 18, 2011
Struggling with veteran players isn't something new to Eakins, exact same reason they laughed him out of the building in Edmonton. Don't think it can just be blamed on veteran players 'not buying in'.
But if they dont buy in then you have to get rid of them otherwise you have a counter productive environment

I wish we would just f***ing hire Gallant but I'm guessing Bob is finished and they wont let him hire another coach.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I don't know if this was ever publicly disclosed anywhere, but former Ducks' pro scout David Baseggio left the organization at the start of the 20-21 season, to become Director of Pro Scouting with the Kraken.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Who knows what he's doing behind closed doors? All I'm saying is he had the exact same problem in Edmonton. Based on this I think it's silly to purely blame the players, as not getting through to veterans was a big reason he was canned in Edmonton.

And to be honest, if he can't get through to veteran players, he's toast at the NHL level.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There's a lot to unpack here.

At least he realizes it’s a coaching problem but talk is nice but need to execute.
so if we have vets who aren't buying in, then does that fault also fall on Getz since he's captain?

I don’t think it was all the vets. I think Getz and Rakell we’re buying into the rebuild and want to see it through or get in the right direction, which showed with their efforts on the ice. Henrique not so much who got waived. I mean Getz and Rakell didn’t produce as they should but when you have literally no PP, everyone’s production is going to go down by at least 20%.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I’m guessing these vets Murray is referring to are Rakell and Henrique? He didn’t mention any specific names did he?
Henrique for sure I’d think. Not sure about Rakell since he seemed kind of optimistic about the team and wants to be here going forward. Could be a few of the lesser guys who had an attitude as well.

Definitely not absolving Eakins here. The comment he made a few weeks ago about negativity was pretty concerning IMO

Reactions: Deuce22

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California

Drydale talked about how much Manson helped him and let him ask lots of questions so it's not him. Even though Rakell didn't produce, it seemed like he gets along great with the younger players so I doubt him. Rowney and Lindholm were too injured to count. Gibson's a goalie so it doesn't count but he also publicly stated recently that he is committed to the team. Fowler is often hinted at being a leader and possibly captain so not him. Obviously not Getz.

The only players that make sense are Henrique, Grant, Deslauriers, and maybe Silf. Henrique, for sure, especially since he was waived and his effort was so inconsistent. I would guess Grant as well. Maybe Silf but he was injured so tough to say. Deslauriers possibly complained about wanting to play more and he was almost traded to Pittsburgh so it could make sense.

Edit: Forgot about Shattenkirk. He did improve and his comments at the end of the season seem to indicate commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad