Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Drydale talked about how much Manson helped him and let him ask lots of questions so it's not him. Even though Rakell didn't produce, it seemed like he gets along great with the younger players so I doubt him. Rowney and Lindholm were too injured to count. Gibson's a goalie so it doesn't count but he also publicly stated recently that he is committed to the team. Fowler is often hinted at being a leader and possibly captain so not him. Obviously not Getz.

The only players that make sense are Henrique, Grant, Deslauriers, and maybe Silf. Henrique, for sure, especially since he was waived and his effort was so inconsistent. I would guess Grant as well. Maybe Silf but he was injured so tough to say. Deslauriers possibly complained about wanting to play more and he was almost traded to Pittsburgh so it could make sense.

Bob’s comments about Rakell were along of the lines of have to get him back on track and give him support and not of a disappointment in the player kinda vibe. I mean Rakell was driving lines this year, showing effort, and that head injury set him back, he could have finished with the most points on the team.

He also said he wants to stay here, thinks the future looks good, and wants to see the rebuild through. Stuff like that makes me want to hold onto a player, and think Zegras could be the answer to get him back to his 30 goal performances.

Reactions: Kalv

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bob’s comments about Rakell were along of the lines of have to get him back on track and give him support and not of a disappointment in the player kinda vibe. I mean Rakell was driving lines this year, showing effort, and that head injury set him back, he could have finished with the most points on the team.

He also said he wants to stay here, thinks the future looks good, and wants to see the rebuild through. Stuff like that makes me want to hold onto a player, and think Zegras could be the answer to get him back to his 30 goal performances.

I agree. I have long believed that when choosing veterans to keep around, Rakell has been high on that list. As much as people malign Fowler, I feel the same about him. I don't know if Rakell will ever hit 30 again, but it would sure make me happy.

Reactions: Kalv and Leonardo87

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Drydale talked about how much Manson helped him and let him ask lots of questions so it's not him. Even though Rakell didn't produce, it seemed like he gets along great with the younger players so I doubt him. Rowney and Lindholm were too injured to count. Gibson's a goalie so it doesn't count but he also publicly stated recently that he is committed to the team. Fowler is often hinted at being a leader and possibly captain so not him. Obviously not Getz.

The only players that make sense are Henrique, Grant, Deslauriers, and maybe Silf. Henrique, for sure, especially since he was waived and his effort was so inconsistent. I would guess Grant as well. Maybe Silf but he was injured so tough to say. Deslauriers possibly complained about wanting to play more and he was almost traded to Pittsburgh so it could make sense.

Edit: Forgot about Shattenkirk. He did improve and his comments at the end of the season seem to indicate commitment.
Totally agree on Grant

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree. I have long believed that when choosing veterans to keep around, Rakell has been high on that list. As much as people malign Fowler, I feel the same about him. I don't know if Rakell will ever hit 30 again, but it would sure make me happy.

I’ve jumped over to the keep Rakell side. I just think he will take a team friendly deal that even if things don’t pan out as we want won’t kill them. But I have this feeling, that a line of Comtois - Zegras - Rakell will be among one of the top lines in the league people talk about. One can only hope.

Nothing against Terry but think he will be better with Henrique on the 2nd line.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
The veterans thing is odd to me because Rakell was playing some of the best hockey of his career before his injury but he was snakebit as hell, Getzlaf is totally bought in, Cam had a strong year and even showed a bit more offensive flair than in prior seasons. I feel like Henrique would be one of these vets, its hard to get a read on Lindholm and Manson since they were out almost all year but from Bob's valuation of Manson he seems bought it. We learned Silf has had a hip injury since Eakins came on. Is it Henrique/Lindholm/The 4th line? These comments don't sound very inspiring but some veterans not buying in sort of seems like most of the roster is still behind coaching and management.

Reactions: Paul4587

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I’ve jumped over to the keep Rakell side. I just think he will take a team friendly deal that even if things don’t pan out as we want won’t kill them. But I have this feeling, that a line of Comtois - Zegras - Rakell will be among one of the top lines in the league people talk about. One can only hope.

Nothing against Terry but think he will be better with Henrique on the 2nd line.
Unless a team overpays for Rakell at the deadline.
Yeah they really need Terry to break out and be one who can help drive the 2nd line & Henrique likes to shoot the puck.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
He’s not considered a vet in the sense that Getz, Henrique, etc. are but guaranteed that Heinen is one of those Bob was referring to.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I would be pretty confident that Gibson is one of the players he is speaking about. I would bet large sums of $ on it.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I would be pretty confident that Gibson is one of the players he is speaking about. I would bet large sums of $ on it.

Here is what BM said the other day about Gibson:

Murray said Gibson “became very frustrated this year” and that “it’s understandable.”

“Well, he wants us to move forward,” the GM said. “He wants us to get better. I don’t know if he is referring to going and getting other players. I don’t know if he’s referring to that. Might be. And we do our best we can to do that. That might mean we should change things for some other players. He obviously wants this organization to take steps forward quickly.”

Gibson stated very clearly recently he wants to be with the Ducks. According to BM, he also clearly wants to win really badly with Anaheim. That sounds like a committed player to me.

Edit: Quote came from Stephens on the Athletic

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
There's a lot to unpack here.

There's a lot of balls in the air. Glad Murray's identified several problem areas, but solving them is another issue. I know in year 1, Murray was hands off and that was a detriment in hindsight. Yet, he did bring in Sutter as Eakins' special coach assistant. This year, we lost Sutter as he was hired to be the Flames' head coach. Also this year, Murray was more involved with Eakins and the team to identify these problems in year 2 of Eakins. In short, there's blame all around. And that's why there's a lot to unpack here. But it does sound like we're training a coach than having a coach for all of our players. Murray's hitching it on the youth movement, which includes Eakins as part of that youth movement.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
A whole lot of interesting stuff there. Solomon seems like a great hire, and a potential next GM for us(either him or Madden).

Also the quote about the cap staying static for the next 3 years is pretty great for us, honestly.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Here is what BM said the other day about Gibson:

Gibson stated very clearly recently he wants to be with the Ducks. According to BM, he also clearly wants to win really badly with Anaheim. That sounds like a committed player to me.

Edit: Quote came from Stephens on the Athletic
He isn't sure what his star goaltender was referring to?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
A whole lot of interesting stuff there. Solomon seems like a great hire, and a potential next GM for us(either him or Madden).

Also the quote about the cap staying static for the next 3 years is pretty great for us, honestly.
i just don't buy that the cap stays flat for 3 years. just no way that'll happen.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
31 Thoughts: What’s next for Seth Jones, Blue Jackets? - Sportsnet.ca

Some interesting background on Solomon's hire as well as coaching.
Murray said Sunday it’s not that he doesn’t believe in analytics, but that the organization had challenges “finding a way to process the data. Jeff will help us take the next step in that. What he explained caught my attention. We’re going to spend on infrastructure to do what we need to do.”
Asked to expand on that, Murray came up with some interesting examples. The Seattle expansion draft looms, and Murray talked about what happened with Vegas — where the Ducks lost Shea Theodore. He was careful with details, but admitted there are things they learned in the aftermath of that process that had to be changed. He also mentioned scouting, and the world of strength, training and athletic therapy.
In context, I take this to mean that his staff didn't think that Theo was going to turn out the way he did, and Murray thinks they should have.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I wonder if it's something like analytics also pointing towards Theo being the one to go and them realizing something went wrong there. That actually kind of lines up with available data.
Well, Murray said they have been gathering the data and then haven't really known how to apply it. It could be what you're saying or the realization after the fact that the data had been telling them Theo was good and they didn't realize it.

Either way he recognizes the mistake at least and is building the infrastructure to make sure it doesn't happen again, which is great news.

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
I wonder if using analytics will help us draft better forwards. That’s what really held us back from getting multiple cups. 15’ and 17’ could been championship years

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
The thing that always strikes me about Bob is that it seems like he makes comments acknowledging the state of the team and the makeup of the roster, without realizing that HE is the one to build the roster. In his little video he talked about Jones and Comtois drawing penalties because they go to the net and that the team needs more guys like that... so draft/sign players that play that style Bob. Guys that aren't afraid to take the puck into those areas.

I get he's probably talking about trying to develop guys like that, but it's much easier to develop players according to their strengths. Look at what simplifying the game has done to Steel because they aren't playing him to his strengths. Hopefully now better analytics will change how he sees the team (or the next GM), and we won't get any more of the "I bring in the players and it's up to the coach to figure out how to make it work" Carl Hagelin type additions.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Asked to expand on that, Murray came up with some interesting examples. The Seattle expansion draft looms, and Murray talked about what happened with Vegas — where the Ducks lost Shea Theodore. He was careful with details, but admitted there are things they learned in the aftermath of that process that had to be changed. He also mentioned scouting, and the world of strength, training and athletic therapy.

I really want to know about "the world of strength, training, and athletic therapy" because I'm tired of seeing our guys consistently on IR. Did we hire someone new in this department because this was also a leading factor to our falling. The silver lining is we've had three consecutive top-10 picks and so far have landed on two of them with Zegras and Drysdale as well as waiting on who we might select for this coming draft.

Reactions: 405Entrance

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
I'd be surprised if Rico is here past the offseason, to be honest. This might end up being a pay seattle to take the contract like we did with Stoner...although hopefully not with Drysdale as the payment....

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'd be surprised if Rico is here past the offseason, to be honest. This might end up being a pay seattle to take the contract like we did with Stoner...although hopefully not with Drysdale as the payment....
Murray already made a comment that he learned from last time and that the right thing to do is to simply leave a few players unprotected and let them choose

I absolutely don’t see a scenario where he pays them to take Henrique

Honestly, Rico is going to be here the rest of his contract and that’s fine. We don’t need to dump his money and he has value in a bottom 6 depth scoring role. He needs to get hi head on straight and bring a consistent effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad