Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
We have been having too many threads discussing the same things, so we are splitting into 4 threads for the time being. Please post accordingly.

This thread is for discussing all things management. Roster talk will be deleted or moved at mod discretion. Tank talk that spams the thread will be deleted, continued posts will infracted.

All tank talk goes here : Draft Lottery Thread

All roster talk of current players (not trade talk, not tank talk) goes here : Speculation: - Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

All trade talk that is NOT tank related goes here : Speculation: - 2019-20 Trade thread (NOT Tank Talk)

Last edited:

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Samuelis will never outright fire Bob, but he needs to realize he should be stepping aside in the not-too-distant future. I've said it before, but I don't think he is the man for this retool/rebuild. You have to be aggressive or just proactive in these situations. BM is neither of those. He had his few chances with Getz/Perry and we all saw how that went, so it's time for some new blood. The org. is also in danger of falling into the "old school" trap with the game passing them by. I know the thought with BB and RC was "I get the players and it's up to the coach to figure out how to play them," so is that still the case with Eakins? Because it's a terrible approach.

Eakins deserves some more leash since his first two seasons were always going to be crapshoots. Let's see what happens next year before putting him on the hot seat, unless the first few weeks are a quitting-on-RC level disaster. A slow start in 21-22 is when talk in that area should commence.

Reactions: Tony O and 405Exit

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm not sure I'm liking Eakins. I foresee him being gone by the time this is a playoff team again.
Tough to say... its not like this roster was built to do well.... I feel bad for him tbh... but I dont think this year is really going to hurt/help how the team sees him... and he likely wont start being judged till next year or the year after.

I also think the culture needs to change... and I dont see that happening until BM is gone. I am 100% off the BM wagon.... I dont want to recycle old coachs and old gms… I want to start something fresh with new ideas, new culture, new identity..... with a new young core.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I'm not sure I'm liking Eakins. I foresee him being gone by the time this is a playoff team again.
look at the roster he's been given. not even the best coach could get something out of this bunch

he deserves a shot at coaching an actual NHL-caliber ducks team before we start judging his performance. as for BM, it'll be a great day for this franchise when he's finally gone

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
The rebuild doesnt really start until BM steps down, and we dont know how many more years that will be. The Samuelis are so hands off that they won't make the decision for him. The scary thing is that we don't know who would be the replacement...if its Nonis, the results will likely be worse. I don't want a Burke type of guy, who is too emotional/reactional and gets butt hurt over players wanting to go to arbitration. He also didn't respect the draft much and preferred to wheel-and-deal for a quick short term fix.

It's interesting to see the tier of GMs:
PHT Power Rankings: NHL GM hot seat tiers - ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...1-general-managers-tiers-ahead-trade-deadline

I'm not sure who would be the best available, or if giving a former player a shot would be the best option (Neidermeyer?). Its tough to know who would excel in this type of job in building our new culture, making player evaluations, networking with other GMs, assessing coaches, and more importantly, working with NHL officials to ensure that we get fair treatment (I know fans complain about officiating, but we really do get hosed like alot of small market teams).

I'm sure BM will be making the decision on who his replacement will be. Lets hope that its his best decision he has made in his career to set us up for success.

Reactions: Tony O

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
look at the roster he's been given. not even the best coach could get something out of this bunch

he deserves a shot at coaching an actual NHL-caliber ducks team before we start judging his performance. as for BM, it'll be a great day for this franchise when he's finally gone

I disagree on the BM statement. If I was gonna have one person rebuild a team in this draft? It has to be this scouting staff and Murray. If he ends up pulling another first rounder in the top 10? And some seconds and thirds? I will gladly give em the keys to the car. The proof is in the pudding regarding his drafting success.

As much as I disagree with em regarding our possibilities of being in the top 3 last year drafting order because he dropped us to 9. I have no shame giving em the keys if he can get some surplus of picks in this one. It’s shooting fish in a barrel in 2020

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I disagree on the BM statement. If I was gonna have one person rebuild a team in this draft? It has to be this scouting staff and Murray. If he ends up pulling another first rounder in the top 10? And some seconds and thirds? I will gladly give em the keys to the car. The proof is in the pudding regarding his drafting success.

As much as I disagree with em regarding our possibilities of being in the top 3 last year drafting order because he dropped us to 9. I have no shame giving em the keys if he can get some surplus of picks in this one. It’s shooting fish in a barrel in 2020
Need a culture change... bm isnt good anymore... drafting is generally madden and his scouts ... im over bm

Last edited:

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I'm going to invade the echo chamber and say that it's honestly far too early to claim Bob needs to go. I was immensely frustrated with him reacting to our aging core and closing window as slow as he did, but now that he has more or less explicitly committed to a retool on the fly I think he's a good enough GM that he gets to try it out.

Bob hasn't been in this exact situation before, but he does have a fairly good scouting staff and has at least some understanding of what a working roster looks like. Give him two more years to build and find ways for the revitalised roster to gel, and let's see then. If the development of our prospects is stunted and we start looking like another Edmonton in the making, then you right the ship, but no sooner.

Same with Eakins, he's at the very least earned a chance at seeing if a better performing roster excels under his tutelage.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Agreed. He’s an upgrade over Randy but that’s not saying much. Basically every young highly touted player we have under contract has plateaued or regressed from where they were at the end of last year.

He’s done great work with Fowler and Lindholms offensive games but I don’t see a lot else he’s done that has been overly positive.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The rebuild doesnt really start until BM steps down, and we dont know how many more years that will be. The Samuelis are so hands off that they won't make the decision for him. The scary thing is that we don't know who would be the replacement...if its Nonis, the results will likely be worse. I don't want a Burke type of guy, who is too emotional/reactional and gets butt hurt over players wanting to go to arbitration. He also didn't respect the draft much and preferred to wheel-and-deal for a quick short term fix.

It's interesting to see the tier of GMs:
PHT Power Rankings: NHL GM hot seat tiers - ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...1-general-managers-tiers-ahead-trade-deadline

I'm not sure who would be the best available, or if giving a former player a shot would be the best option (Neidermeyer?). Its tough to know who would excel in this type of job in building our new culture, making player evaluations, networking with other GMs, assessing coaches, and more importantly, working with NHL officials to ensure that we get fair treatment (I know fans complain about officiating, but we really do get hosed like alot of small market teams).

I'm sure BM will be making the decision on who his replacement will be. Lets hope that its his best decision he has made in his career to set us up for success.
The rebuild has pretty clearly started and...he's still here.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I really believe Eakins is a puppet to GMBM. I think Eakins just does whatever he says
GMBM still calling the shots on roster moves and who is in and out and goes up and down.
Would be nice to see Eakins make some decisions regarding players but it looks as if his hands are tied.

Reactions: Deuce22

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The team got more boring when Getzlaf complained publicly that they needed more dump and chase and less puck possession. Now we have RC style hockey back.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Please...I beg all of you...please don't let this board become as unreadable as the Kings board. Going through a rebuild is tough but posting like you've had a lobotomy is even tougher.
Maybe we can combine the boards... and see who hates themselves more

quad65

I could agree with you, but then we are both wrong
Bob has not been a bad GM but he does not "age" well in this new NHL Area. It all started of course with the giant step back (mistake) when he hired his old buddy Randy again ...

I also felt that BM did not handle well the Eakins hiring. He basically let him hang dry, trying to fin his "ideal" coach. Once he realized that there was nobody out there he appointed Eakins, only to put a few weeks later Sutter as an advisory to the coaching stuff. This to me showed lack of confidence versus Eakins capabilities.

I do think Eakins is a players coach and he has the capabilities to develop them but somehow he has lost confidence which is also understandable after the fiasco in Edmonton and the less than perfect hiring from BM.
Unfortunately for him outside of Getzlaf there is no leadership anymore on this team, thanks also to BM when he let go Cogliano f.ex. I had hopes for Manson (and still have) and maybe Gudbrandson will develop into this role, both play hockey with accountability whether it's the opposing player or the team members. At the end of the day, the "Kids" are today learning by doing, which is less than ideal but that's the way it's going to be.

Getting a few more quality draft picks the next 2 years and hopefully the hiring of a new GM (Rob Niedermaier ?), the Ducks can content again from 2022 onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad