Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
“Murray would let promising defense prospect Shea Theodore slip away for nothing in the 2018 Vegas expansion draft.”
I don’t see Theo playing this well if he was still with the Ducks. Seems to be this way for some of our prospects when they move on to other teams.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
I don’t see Theo playing this well if he was still with the Ducks. Seems to be this way for some of our prospects when they move on to other teams.
No one plays well on a team full of lousy forwards who can't control the puck in the neutral and blue zones.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
With forwards, I would tend to agree. It seems that most defensemen, though, come along fairly well in Anaheim. I wouldn't be surprised if he looked almost as dominant if he were still in Anaheim even if the point total wasn't as high.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It's not particularly damning. It reads like an extra-long HF post rather than a bit of journalism. Also LOL at the part about Gibson never recovering from that one time he had to work a lot.

I had a chuckle at the torching the AHL line. 9 points in 8 games is what we consider torching a league? In that case there are 30+ players in the AHL that should be called up to the NHL yesterday.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Does anyone expect Bob to get an extension? His contract is up at the end of next season and lame duck (no pun intended) GMs are pretty rare in the NHL...
I hope he is gone this season. It would suck to have Bob through the expansion draft and then bring someone else in.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Does anyone expect Bob to get an extension? His contract is up at the end of next season and lame duck (no pun intended) GMs are pretty rare in the NHL...
I hope he is gone this season. It would suck to have Bob through the expansion draft and then bring someone else in.
I hope they just "promote" him, or that he retires.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
There's absolutely no sugarcoating possible anymore: BM and Eakins need to be axed today and they should not get to see another NHL game in their current positions and capacities whatsoever.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Can I go against the orthodoxy and say that I don't really trust Madden anymore either. Our supposedly great drafting doesn't seem to be producing very great results outside of the slam dunk area, and I'm not entirely convinced that's just due to a lack of higher number picks.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Can I go against the orthodoxy and say that I don't really trust Madden anymore either. Our supposedly great drafting doesn't seem to be producing very great results outside of the slam dunk area, and I'm not entirely convinced that's just due to a lack of higher number picks.
yeah I'm with you. you'll get crap from most of the people here who think we're some amazing drafting team while they point out a bunch of players who only got good once they left. though I would also add our development in general is just trash.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
yeah I'm with you. you'll get crap from most of the people here who think we're some amazing drafting team while they point out a bunch of players who only got good once they left. though I would also add our development in general is just trash.

I don't think its necessarily wrong to question this team's drafting but most people who do have zero clue on how other teams do in the same area and it shows.

Reactions: Deuce22 and Dryish

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
The problem with criticising our drafting, which I know I very much subject myself to by questioning Madden, is that we have no idea how much Bob actually sets criteria for our scouting. Madden might well have done incredibly well within the frames given to him by Bob or he might have done poorly in terms of picking reliable building blocks for the team's future, and we just don't know.

We've done well with what we've had, I would say. I don't think our picks have gone very wrong in terms of what they've wanted. What I am not so convinced of is that what they've wanted is what was needed or what should have been built.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I just learned that Eakins was the player that caught Teemus glove after his famous celly when he broke the rookie goal scoring record

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I think that both Bob and Eakins need to go. Bob I would kick upstairs into a "consulting" position, and Eakins I would just send on his way.

Quackattack

Feb 2, 2019
I don’t think Scotty Bowman himself could win with this roster. Eakins needs a fair shake and at least the COVID season to see if he can bring the kids along. Vets be damned.

probably best to let Bob go before our next competitive cycle. I actually have some faith in the rebuild (he did it before after Burke gutted our prospect pool)... but not so much the actually winning big part, since he has never really accomplished that anywhere.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I don’t think Scotty Bowman himself could win with this roster. Eakins needs a fair shake and at least the COVID season to see if he can bring the kids along. Vets be damned.

probably best to let Bob go before our next competitive cycle. I actually have some faith in the rebuild (he did it before after Burke gutted our prospect pool)... but not so much the actually winning big part, since he has never really accomplished that anywhere.

I don't trust Bob with a rebuild because he doesn't think the Ducks need a rebuild. If he did then he would have traded some of the Vets already.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
This is a rebuild. Like what are people expecting, how much worse do you really want to be?

How much worse can we get is the real question?
Would the Ducks actually be in a worse place if they trade their vets?

Honestly this should have started in the 2018-2019 season. When the Ducks were the 3rd worst team in the conference.
SIlfverberg never should have been resigned and should have been traded at the deadline.
Henrique should have been traded before his NTC kicked in and when he still had value.

If the Ducks had embraced the rebuild starting at the 2019 deadline then they would basically be in the same place they are now (rebuilding) but they would have had assets for those vets instead of terrible contracts.

Edit: I know hindsight is 20/20, but how did everyone not see the writing on the wall in 18-19?

Getzlaf just had his worst season ever and the music had clearly ended as far as him being a #1 center.
Perry was coming off of a torn ACL and clearly was not going to be a top 6 forward anymore.
Manson came back to earth from his 40 point season.
Kesler was done, with 8 points in 60 games.

Last edited:

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
This is a rebuild. Like what are people expecting, how much worse do you really want to be?
I think signing Shattenkirk was the total opposite of a rebuild move. Not moving on from vets and players that we have an abundance of as well is not a rebuild system.

We are always in a suck but not owning it type of situation. Bob needs to commit fully either way - enough with this half and half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad