Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Agree, I didn't want BM to go until he said that the team needs to start pushing for the playoffs again, and did nothing besides sign Shattenkirk. Shows to me he is both completely unwilling to do what this team needs for its future, and his valuation of the current roster is completely out of touch with what it actually is.

Well then you still shouldn't, as he never said this.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I personally rather be in the king's situation than the ducks but if you think otherwise that's fine too. Doughty and Kopitar have to be two of the best players to help the young ones although their play will skip. Their prospect pool is the best if not one of the best in the league. They don't need to spend money on FA they need to develop. Ducks keep wasting assets/money on over the hill players not worth shit. Henrique contract was horrible but I guess necessary at the time, shattenkirk is a joke. Losing the assets for Bieksa we did plus the whole expansion draft is stupid. Palms would be our best forward right now but we let him go for what.

However, as we have all watched the last few seasons, if you don't have solid veterans who insulate the young players, it doesn't really work. Look at Edmonton for years, same problem.

Most young player cannot dominate the league day one and especially without productive and consistent older players. This also assumes that all of their players work out - which they won't. And then what do they do? The King's are in for a long rebuild and I certainly don't mind it.

Reactions: Static

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
However, as we have all watched the last few seasons, if you don't have solid veterans who insulate the young players, it doesn't really work. Look at Edmonton for years, same problem.

Most young player cannot dominate the league day one and especially without productive and consistent older players. This also assumes that all of their players work out - which they won't. And then what do they do? The King's are in for a long rebuild and I certainly don't mind it.
We are in for a longer rebuild because our GM thinks we can win the cup every season. Exactly why I think Kings are little better off then us at this current juncture.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Bob Murray thinks he is Belichick or something :laugh:

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
We are in for a longer rebuild because our GM thinks we can win the cup every season. Exactly why I think Kings are little better off then us at this current juncture.

I'm not really sure why you think BM is in the opinion his team is cup worthy. To my knowledge, he has not made those comments publicly. When Shattenkirk signed, he stated that Murray believes this team could compete for the playoffs this year and should only improve. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

I am not saying BM is great or that he should stay, but I don't think unrealistic cup aspirations is something we can blame him for this season. I respect your opinion on the Kings' situation even if I disagree

Edit: added emoji for fun

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
After this game Bob will probably trade a veteran player, like with Cogliano. Next step is to fire the coach, like with Carlyle. We suck, but we should suck as much as we currently do. I think Eakins is part of the issue, he never was a good coach. Gulls seem to have became better with Dineen. But I have to admit I haven't watch many Gulls games, only checking results. And they changed a lot of players of course.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
After this game Bob will probably trade a veteran player, like with Cogliano. Next step is to fire the coach, like with Carlyle. We suck, but we should suck as much as we currently do. I think Eakins is part of the issue, he never was a good coach. Gulls seem to have became better with Dineen. But I have to admit I haven't watch many Gulls games, only checking results. And they changed a lot of players of course.

They should just switch Dineen's and Eakin's places for a change.

Section411

Jun 25, 2015
Meridian, Idaho
Bob Murray is 100 percent the problem. It starts at the top and filters it's way down. This organization hasn't been offensively relevant since Bruce was head coach. The development of young scorers has been poor at best, and that is an organization/development issue. I worry that our player development is more focused on making every young skilled forward a dump and chase/two way type, instead of just playing to each players strong traits. I worry that Zegras and Drysdale will fall victim to this as well, but so far they seem to be ok. Overall this organization just needs an overall.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010

That was another stupid Murray move. Cogliano wasn't the problem. He was one of the players who was always prepared to play. Maybe he struggled offensively, but he wasn't who left the effort in the lockerroom.

Steppin Razor

Nov 11, 2013
Pretty fascinating article from Stephens, never though I'd see the day he'd go after management like this, but holy f*** it needed to be said.

Stephens has had a few surprisingly critical articles lately, but wow. Never thought he'd just flat out say it. But damn is he right.

Reactions: MMC

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
That was another stupid Murray move. Cogliano wasn't the problem. He was one of the players who was always prepared to play. Maybe he struggled offensively, but he wasn't who left the effort in the lockerroom.

No issue with the Cogs trade, we were already barely cap compliant coming into this season, having him on the books would've made it much worse. Loved the guy when he was here but he's completely cooked.

Trading Cogs was one of the few things he got right in the past few years.

Reactions: Fairwinds

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I've always been something of a Bob Murray defender, and my take on past events is often quite different from that of most people here. I'm not going to rehash what those events were, nor seek to change anyone's perception. But the way this season has unfolded, and especially the events of the past few days, are extremely troubling. It's also an extension of troubles that go back to the latter portion of BB's tenure here.

Take Henrique; throughout his career he has always been a reliable, consistent 40-50 point player, with a knack for scoring goals. He was that last year, and it was enough to lead the team in scoring (ugh). Then this year something happened that threw him into a funk, and he starts mailing it in. A good, consistent player doesn't suddenly become terrible unless something serious happens. Some have suggested that the was miffed at being asked for his list; I can appreciate that, but I also would like to think he was enough of a pro that he wouldn't just give up over it. It may be too, that his refusal to go to Columbus (which was his right) put the kibosh on a deal that BM thought he could swing for PLD. From there it escalates on both sides, and Rico gets singled out to pay the price for not only his own shortcomings, but those of others as well.

And there ARE others - both Bob and DE have said it. We can see it. And it's almost exclusively the veterans. People will always find excuses for their favorite players, but the fact is that of the returning veterans, ALL of them are struggling and playing worse than they did last year, with the exceptions of Rakell (who's not scoring goals yet but working his tail off) and Lindholm, but he's been out for a bit too. Shattenkirk looked great for two games and then started falling down the hill. One wonders if he feels like he's been sold a bill of goods. The kids on the other hand are doing better (especially Comtois). This I attribute to the internal competition and their desire to secure their spots. It's the vets that are bringing the malaise, and if not corrected, will spill over onto the kids.

The "shot across the bow" that Murray fired has NOT had the desired effect; we were as lackluster last night as we've ever been. And over the last several years we've had multiple periods of lackluster play, interspersed with periods when we look like we can play with anybody and win. Every team has some ups and downs, but not like us. Two seasons ago was the first time Bob spoke openly about complacency and a willingness to accept losing. It's been going on for longer than that. This has become a pattern over at least the last 3 years, and I don't know why, and therefore I don't know how it can be fixed.

But the fact that Bob's warning shot fell on deaf ears suggests to me that the veteran core no longer has faith in the organization. We don't have bad players; we have players who've lost the desire to give it all and win. I don't know if a management shakeup will correct that, but it seems the time has come to try.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I've always been something of a Bob Murray defender, and my take on past events is often quite different from that of most people here. I'm not going to rehash what those events were, nor seek to change anyone's perception. But the way this season has unfolded, and especially the events of the past few days, are extremely troubling. It's also an extension of troubles that go back to the latter portion of BB's tenure here.

Take Henrique; throughout his career he has always been a reliable, consistent 40-50 point player, with a knack for scoring goals. He was that last year, and it was enough to lead the team in scoring (ugh). Then this year something happened that threw him into a funk, and he starts mailing it in. A good, consistent player doesn't suddenly become terrible unless something serious happens. Some have suggested that the was miffed at being asked for his list; I can appreciate that, but I also would like to think he was enough of a pro that he wouldn't just give up over it. It may be too, that his refusal to go to Columbus (which was his right) put the kibosh on a deal that BM thought he could swing for PLD. From there it escalates on both sides, and Rico gets singled out to pay the price for not only his own shortcomings, but those of others as well.

And there ARE others - both Bob and DE have said it. We can see it. And it's almost exclusively the veterans. People will always find excuses for their favorite players, but the fact is that of the returning veterans, ALL of them are struggling and playing worse than they did last year, with the exceptions of Rakell (who's not scoring goals yet but working his tail off) and Lindholm, but he's been out for a bit too. Shattenkirk looked great for two games and then started falling down the hill. One wonders if he feels like he's been sold a bill of goods. The kids on the other hand are doing better (especially Comtois). This I attribute to the internal competition and their desire to secure their spots. It's the vets that are bringing the malaise, and if not corrected, will spill over onto the kids.

The "shot across the bow" that Murray fired has NOT had the desired effect; we were as lackluster last night as we've ever been. And over the last several years we've had multiple periods of lackluster play, interspersed with periods when we look like we can play with anybody and win. Every team has some ups and downs, but not like us. Two seasons ago was the first time Bob spoke openly about complacency and a willingness to accept losing. It's been going on for longer than that. This has become a pattern over at least the last 3 years, and I don't know why, and therefore I don't know how it can be fixed.

But the fact that Bob's warning shot fell on deaf ears suggests to me that the veteran core no longer has faith in the organization. We don't have bad players; we have players who've lost the desire to give it all and win. I don't know if a management shakeup will correct that, but it seems the time has come to try.

If they were willing to put Henrique on waivers, then if he's not traded by the time of the expansion draft they will likely expose him and figure Seattle won't even select him and if Seattle does they don't care.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
It's not particularly damning. It reads like an extra-long HF post rather than a bit of journalism. Also LOL at the part about Gibson never recovering from that one time he had to work a lot.

Yeah, that website doesn’t seem to value good journalism. More like gossip and just chit chat kind of stuff.

For me, The Athletic has proven to be well worth the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->