Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I'm a bit curious about this. While I don't personally subscribe to the thinking, I do think there's a decent argument that when the team is ready to contend Murray and his conservative nature isn't the man for the job. However, he's already overseen one successful rebuild, so why wouldn't he be the guy for another? A lot of heavy lifting was already done for him but the job then was still quite impressive.

The Ducks have not had a rebuild since before the cup.

They had very quick retools but never a rebuild. A retool is possible when you have prime Getzlaf and Perry to build around.

The biggest things the Ducks need are top line forwards and those are near impossible to get unless you sign one (which the Ducks have never done) or draft one (which the Ducks have not done in almost 20 years).

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

They had very quick retools but never a rebuild. A retool is possible when you have prime Getzlaf and Perry to build around.

The biggest things the Ducks need are top line forwards and those are near impossible to get unless you sign one (which the Ducks have never done) or draft one (which the Ducks have not done in almost 20 years).

I think even the team pushed the term retool at the time but that was 100% a rebuild. I know when people think of a rebuild they think of burning it down and starting fresh, but rebuilds come in all shapes and sizes. The 2015 team featured just four players Murray inherited, one of which he still traded for as GM, and another who made his pro debut the year Murray took over. That's in comparison to the 9 draft picks and 11 players acquired by trade or free agency(double counting Beauch). Thats no retool.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

Ducks need an offensive defensemen. 2 of them. Why do you think everyone stands around on the power play because no one respects anyone on our blue line.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I like Madden but I do not want him to be the next GM. We need someone from outside the organization to come in with a fresh view of the team.

Completely agree. It was the same when we were doing our coaching search, as much as Eakins was a good AHL coach I wasn’t convinced at all about his NHL ability and thought it would be far better to bring in a guy from outside the org with fresh ideas who could bring in a new perspective on things.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Waiving Henrique makes me want BM gone more, not even because I'm particularly against waiving him, but because this is his "answer" to making a change to a core that's been struggling for 3 seasons because he's too chickenshit to make an actual move.

Reactions: Deuce22

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Waiving Henrique makes me want BM gone more, not even because I'm particularly against waiving him, but because this is his "answer" to making a change to a core that's been struggling for 3 seasons because he's too chickenshit to make an actual move.

And he is trying to fix his own mistake, which was giving Henrique the contract in the first place. Samueli needs to wake up.

Oct 18, 2011
I said when it was signed it was a bad contract I think what you really see now around the league is paying high prices for "B" players like Silf and Henrique get you in alot of trouble if you're not a cup contender. It just sets your franchise back so much. Bob seemed unable to recognize the window is closing, if he had the right temperature of the team 2 years ago we could have gotten so much in return for Manson/Henrique/Rakell, now we will get pennies on the dollar. Manson and Rakell to me are particularly egregious because they just don't fit the team's window and at one point both players had immense value

Imagine where this team could be if he was proactive at all. Instead we're in the middle of year 3 of bad hockey with minimal progress and a long way to go

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
BM hasn't been able to rebuild the Ducks on the fly. Having mediocre teams that don't make the playoffs and don't get great draft positions isn't showing any better results than totally tearing down the team. Look at the Kings: they traded a lot of good, but not core, players to get some draft picks and look at high-level prospects they are stocking up on. They will be contending a lot sooner than the Ducks will.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
BM hasn't been able to rebuild the Ducks on the fly. Having mediocre teams that don't make the playoffs and don't get great draft positions isn't showing any better results than totally tearing down the team. Look at the Kings: they traded a lot of good, but not core, players to get some draft picks and look at high-level prospects they are stocking up on. They will be contending a lot sooner than the Ducks will.

Is it showing worse? This is a completely ideological grief and I know that because what's actually happened is nothing like what you're suggesting. The last three years the Kings have made 13 picks in the first three rounds to the Ducks' 11 and we've had one more first rounder. We're stockpiling guys too, high end ones at that, there really aren't many major differences to me.

I also don't think they'll be contending first, either. Unlike us they need pretty much all of these guys to hit, which they won't, and then they need to entirely rebuild their defense while hoping Peterson is indeed the answer and also doesn't bail on them in a year when he's a free agent. It's asking a lot.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I like Madden but I do not want him to be the next GM. We need someone from outside the organization to come in with a fresh view of the team.

I just don't want to lose Madden. The amateur scouting is the one thing this franchise has going for it.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I'd much rather be in the king's position than the ducks right now. But things can change very quickly.

Oct 18, 2011
and the kings recognized faster that they were no longer contenders and they are now set up better, it's sick.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I didn't mind Murray as much as some of you wanted him gone but enough is enough he's gotta go.

Reactions: MMC

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
and the kings recognized faster that they were no longer contenders and they are now set up better, it's sick.
The Kings also ignored the fair weather fans demanding they compete for the 8th seed like the Minnesota Wild have done forever.
The Ducks caved (fired Carlyle and didnd't trade Rakell, Silf, Manson or Henrique) and look like they are doing a retool and ignored trading Rakell, Henrique etc when the time to do it was there and they missed out.
In terms of trading players last year vs this season: 2020 1st rounder > 2021 1st rounder. This years draft is weaker.

The Ducks had people protesting Carlyle by cancelling season tickets. Effectively forcing the owners hands to not let them get a higher pick.
Ducks lucked out that Zegras fell to them at #9.
I can only imagine people would be cancelling tickets if they traded Silf, Henrique or Manson.
I see on the Ducks FB page that fair weather crowd wants Zegras called up so they can compete for the 8th seed.

The Angels fandom is even worse. People every year demanding they sign all the big name free agents and demanding the manager be fired every year no matter who is managing the Angels and that all the prospects need to be traded for veterans.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I didn't mind Murray as much as some of you wanted him gone but enough is enough he's gotta go.
Agree, I didn't want BM to go until he said that the team needs to start pushing for the playoffs again, and did nothing besides sign Shattenkirk. Shows to me he is both completely unwilling to do what this team needs for its future, and his valuation of the current roster is completely out of touch with what it actually is.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
People think the kings are way ahead of us? Have you seen the contracts that will be on their books for years?

Reactions: Deuce22

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
People think the kings are way ahead of us? Have you seen the contracts that will be on their books for years?
They have plenty of prospects to supplement that.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Plenty of risks to supplement their risks.
I personally rather be in the king's situation than the ducks but if you think otherwise that's fine too. Doughty and Kopitar have to be two of the best players to help the young ones although their play will skip. Their prospect pool is the best if not one of the best in the league. They don't need to spend money on FA they need to develop. Ducks keep wasting assets/money on over the hill players not worth shit. Henrique contract was horrible but I guess necessary at the time, shattenkirk is a joke. Losing the assets for Bieksa we did plus the whole expansion draft is stupid. Palms would be our best forward right now but we let him go for what.

Reactions: la patineuse

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
There's literally no amount of prospects in the world that can change the fact that Doughty is an eight figure anchor on their books until 2027.
I'm taking about from a money prospective... Their young players will be on ELC atleast while they develop and doughty can mentor. The ducks are just so mediocre right now, if Zegras and/or Drysdale don't pan out it's going to be a long couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad