Salary Cap: 2020-21 Lightning Roster Discussion | Part 2

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Is it just me or is Joe Smith the worst Twitter follow for Lightning fans? He never tweets anything...other than links to his articles on The Athletic. No engagement, nothing. Just a random thought.
Noticed that too. His articles on The Athletic can be good on insights about locker room stuff but that's kinda it. He never has inside infos about rumors, always reuses past quotes of past articles and really doesn't bring much new to the table in term of scoops and such.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Bertuzzi's arbitration hearing is today, which is probably one of the hold-ups in sending a contract to Detroit. Should have a clearer picture of what Detroit's cap situation will be like today. They also have to get Mantha's contract done.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Noticed that too. His articles on The Athletic can be good on insights about locker room stuff but that's kinda it. He never has inside infos about rumors, always reuses past quotes of past articles and really doesn't bring much new to the table in term of scoops and such.
I was under the impression that reusing quotes was a limitation of media access in the bubbles.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Is it just me or is Joe Smith the worst Twitter follow for Lightning fans? He never tweets anything...other than links to his articles on The Athletic. No engagement, nothing. Just a random thought.

He has better content on the Athletic, usually has pretty good fan responses on his Q&A segments.

Yeah, Smith never breaks anything new or even reports on timely stuff and he seldom asks anything useful/good during media scrums.

He's really much more of a feature writer (locker room/player stories, off the ice interviews, etc.) than a news reporter. The Athletic is a good venue for him because he can focus on the story telling which he does pretty well.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Check your facts. I just asked my dad again to see if he knew exact numbers from Vinik. But as you stated correctly he does not report them even to his corporate sponsors. Keep in mind you have about 21M people in Florida. 2M are Canadians living there in 1M homes. another 3.5M snowbirds come down each winter. My dad lives in gated community of Leaf park in Naples nicknamed because all 1.5K residents are Canadians and they take up 10 buses to/from each game. This is only 1 small tiny area of Florida which brings in 500 season ticket holders. And these are older and some cases sick people who don't even get to HALF da games. Between Tampa, St Petes, Sarasota where the numbers are significantly bigger we are pretty sure we got da numbers BANG ON correct. Canadians developed hockey and unfortunately we live, breath and sleep it. and we go to junior and kids games just to get our fill. and we love Tampa because of how cheap it is to go versus paying 200 to sit in upper deck at Scotia.
Well I just asked my dad and he said that Vinik keeps the numbers locked up next to the KFC secret recipe in a bank vault surrounded by a moat filled with sharks and your dad is full of bologna.

Also, hockey was invented in Britain in the 1790s and is not advisable to inhale. Check your facts.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Well I just asked my dad and he said that Vinik keeps the numbers locked up next to the KFC secret recipe in a bank vault surrounded by a moat filled with sharks and your dad is full of bologna.

Also, hockey was invented in Britain in the 1790s and is not advisable to inhale. Check your facts.
Well, it depends on what you define hockey as. If you count hockey as using a stick to hit a thing on the ground, that's pretty ancient.

Using a verbal gimmick is a pretense. You can't have a real conversation with someone who is playing a character.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Gonna go out on a limb and say that we are only interested in moving TJ and Killer before we move other pieces and other teams want Palat or Gourde or another piece instead

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Central Scouting saw my post and got to work.

Ryan St. Louis
C grade (4th/5th/6th round pick)

think we should go with anyone that has a last name of a player that's been in organization, Ryan St. Louis, Dylan Gratton, Chase Stillman, Samuel Helenius, Alexander Volkov, Scott Morrow, Joshua Roy

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
think we should go with anyone that has a last name of a player that's been in organization, Ryan St. Louis, Dylan Gratton, Chase Stillman, Samuel Helenius, Alexander Volkov, Scott Morrow, Joshua Roy
Jonne Tammela's brother is on the list. TB terminated his contract.

Dylan Gratton does have a brother named Chris.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
With the Stammer speculation definitely come to and end (sorry Bob "Margarita" McKenzie and Elliott "I like red wines" Friedman...but it's not a news), I really hope to read some positive news very soon.
TJ and probably also Killer need to go.
JFBB, please, do something. :) :) :)

Reactions: PJ817

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
With the Stammer speculation definitely come to and end (sorry Bob "Margarita" McKenzie and Elliott "I like red wines" Friedman...but it's not a news), I really hope to read some positive news very soon.

JBB waiting for other GM to call

frustrated-waiting-for-the-phone-to-ring-stock-images_csp12355758.jpg

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

JBB asked him if he was open to a trade. That's news regardless of him declining it or not.

Nothing is happening anytime soon

Reactions: DFC

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
An interesting item that maybe has been discussed, but haven't seen is NHL players with a contract will get their first paycheck on 2020-2021 (8.1%) by October 31. Yet of course the 2020-2021 season won't begin until January at the earliest--and possibly later.

Cap space aside seems to make sense any team that might be willing to take Tyler's $5M would rather wait 2 months and let the Lightning pay him a chunk of his 2020-2021 salary instead of them.

The bigger issue is the 4 x $5M for sure, but even if you were inclined to make the deal the other team is better off waiting for a few months while the Lightning pay the salary since they would either be shipping us picks (bad ones) or a very low paid player.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Something is up because maroon and schenn finally signed there contracts now Lightning announced it

Either a cap-clearing move is in place, or JBB has sufficient confidence that there is no offer sheet market.

Or maybe this is just so Maroon and Schenn receive their first pay cheques. That actually seems more reasonable.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Doing it in time to pay them makes sense.

These deals were never exactly a secret. Every team would have accounted for them. Not announcing seems of limited utility.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Clipped from over in my sandbox. Stick tap to LeHab for digging it out of the Return to Play MOU because I'm uncharacteristically lazy today

In the event the parties agree to start the 2020/21 NHL Regular Season after November 15, 2020, the Clubs shall pay each “Roster Freeze Player” (as defined in the Transition Rules) who as of October 31, 2020 has an SPC for the 2020/21 League Year a paycheck in the amount of 8.1% (15/186) of his 2020-21 Paragraph 1 NHL Salary by October 31, 2020. The total amount paid to these “Roster Freeze Players” shall be an advance of their 2020/21 Paragraph 1 NHL Salary (or Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary, as the case may be) and included in 2020/21 Actual Club Salary to the extent it otherwise would be included (e.g., If the Player receives $50,000 and he is in the NHL for the entire 2020-21 Regular Season, the entire $50,000 would be included in Actual Club Salary. If he is in the Minors for the entire season, the $50,000 would be considered an advance of his Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary and would not be included in Actual Club Salary). For each Roster Freeze Player who received an advance payment, their remaining 2020/21 Paragraph 1 Salary shall be paid pro-rata over the course of the remainder of the 2020/21 Regular Season. Any portion of an advance not earned by a Player hereunder shall be included in Actual Club Salary. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if a Roster Freeze Player has filed for Salary Arbitration and does not yet have an SPC as of October 31, 2020, his Club will pay him such paycheck within seven (7) days of the resolution of his Salary Arbitration matter

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad