Salary Cap: 2020-21 Lightning Roster Discussion | Part 2

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Just wanted to get your thoughts on Blake Coleman. Is he an important part of the Lightning going into 2020-21 or do you guys anticipate a trade?

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Just wanted to get your thoughts on Blake Coleman. Is he an important part of the Lightning going into 2020-21 or do you guys anticipate a trade?

He's pretty cheap and pretty good so not going to be traded. We'd only include him if we had to, and if it solved other problems.

Reactions: PJ817

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

He will be a part of next years team. Hes really cheap for what he does and we gave up a first for him. Although I guess if it comes to it they may attach him to a cap dump contract to get rid of it but I dont see that being the case. Same with Goodrow.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Came across a NJ article saying they should weaponize their cap and trade PK Subban with 50% retention. 4.5m still a lot for us. Maybe for McD? Though he prob wouldn't agree.

Do any of you see the benefit for both teams around of a deal around McD, TJ, Killer or Gourde for him? With whatever else would be needed...

Unlikely I know. Even if it doesn't solve all our problems could it at least help us trade forward cap for RD or shift LD cap to RD. Also only 2 years left on Subban and McD with his term could be an issue. With Serg's raise coming up I just think maybe it's too much $$$ on the left side of our defense. And it seems we prefer Serg on the left.

Not sure on Subban's level of play right now compared to McD? Is he just not living up to that contract or has he seriously regressed?

Thoughts?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

The only way he gets traded is if we have a disastrous season and miss the playoffs. He's more valuable to us as a one-year rental than anything we could get back in return.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Came across a NJ article saying they should weaponize their cap and trade PK Subban with 50% retention. 4.5m still a lot for us. Maybe for McD? Though he prob wouldn't agree.

Do any of you see the benefit for both teams around of a deal around McD, TJ, Killer or Gourde for him? With whatever else would be needed...

Unlikely I know. Even if it doesn't solve all our problems could it at least help us trade forward cap for RD or shift LD cap to RD. Also only 2 years left on Subban and McD with his term could be an issue. With Serg's raise coming up I just think maybe it's too much $$$ on the left side of our defense. And it seems we prefer Serg on the left.

Not sure on Subban's level of play right now compared to McD? Is he just not living up to that contract or has he seriously regressed?

Thoughts?

Pk hasn't been himself for years. If I had a guess, he just doesn't have it anymore. I doubt we move mcd. I think it will be Johnson eventually. I think eventually our rfas sign for a cheap deal and we take care of them later. Thats how I see this playing out. It sucks for them but I think these guys want to win and for as long as they possibly can. They keep the team together they have a great shot at repeating or getting another cup soon. The rfas can get paid in a year or so. They take a little risk but guys before him did so as well. They got taken care of later. Its just one of those years where this might be the only option if they want to keep the team together and highly competitive. We will see.

Reactions: PJ817 and NatoGhost

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

We need his contract. That's why we paid the premium. Allows us to replace our departing players with an NHL talent, who just happens to make next to nothing.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Would be a rather interesting pick up. Could have a defense of Hedman-Sergy, McD-Cernak, Chara-Foote/Schenn
Off The Record: Could Tampa Chase Chara? NHLPA Wants 82
I offered up that op on another "thing" - I would love Chara with us (hated him when we played)... dude is a freaking warrior (still)... any team playing us would be:

EFF: that first line D: Heddy + whoever

Okay well, 2nd line: efffffff, McD + whoever

well, at least we have a good match up v their 3rd line: oh holy efffffinateor - CHARA?!?!?

they screwed and they know it

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
That would be one way for chara to stick it to his old team but I feel like every time we play them he is noticeably slow and we expose it badly. Not saying he wouldn't help us, especially on the pk he would be a huge help. If we did pick him up, just give him limited minutes and I think he would be serviceable for us.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I'd love to add Chara for 1 yr. I know he's not what he used to be but he wouldn't be relied upon nearly as heavily.

Hedman-Foote
Chara-Sergachev
McDonagh-Cernak
Coburn-Schenn

Mix and match but that's a great 8 regardless imo..

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I'd love to add Chara for 1 yr. I know he's not what he used to be but he wouldn't be relied upon nearly as heavily.

Hedman-Foote
Chara-Sergachev
McDonagh-Cernak
Coburn-Schenn

Mix and match but that's a great 8 regardless imo..
EVERY team would be ... uh ... oh gawd... so, we can't cleave their D and their F core is solid and welp, FFS, they have Vasy...

Maroon BACK to Back to bacccckkkkk baybeee :D

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
If he’ll take league minimum with no NMC and agree to be a bottom pairing/7D and PK guy then fine; otherwise he’s simply too old and too slow and we don’t have the cap space to spare.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
buyout window (#2) is in less than 24 hours, right?

think we see TJ gone that way?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

Not happening, his contract is too long to be bought out. No team is going to take 8 years of dead cap. We can't buy him out because we had no arbitration-eligble players.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Not happening, his contract is too long to be bought out. No team is going to take 8 years of dead cap. We can't buy him out because we had no arbitration-eligble players.
$5m over 4 years = $20 *2/3 = 13.3 spread out over 8 years = $1.6M buyout giving us $3.4M in space, right?

Killer @ $4.5M over 3 years = $13.5M *2/3 = $9m over 6 years = 1.5M buying giving us another $3M in space

Total = $6.4M in cap space?

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
it would be so wrong to buy out Killorn, i mean he is a great player and he could be great addition to any team,damn if it wasnt cap cruch i would love to keep him,if we manage to keep him and all RFAs i would be happy,thats why if we buy out him it feels sooo wrong

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

There is no second buyout window for us. Thats for teams with players who elected arbitration, we didn't have any that did. Our only options are to free up money through trade and hope the RFA's take really cheap one year deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad