Salary Cap: 2020-21 Lightning Roster Discussion | Part 2

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Day is entirely about needing a contract on the Lightning roster for a day in order to get the cap set.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not waiver exempt. He'd pass, but with Day or Ross Colton, you don't need waivers at all.

Maybe tomorrow we'll see a contract signed for 700,334.

Like you said Walcott will easily pass, the kid isn't NHL quality. It's just doing someone in the organization a solid. We used to do those in the past with guys like Cote, Labrie, Vermin and Richard as guys not really good enough to be in the NHL but we gave them a few games. We wouldn't even give Walcott any games it would just show he made the opening night roster even if he was in the press box for the game. It's just a nice gesture to a kid who's done good stuff for the organization. Days been here a few months so he can wait his turn.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Like you said Walcott will easily pass, the kid isn't NHL quality. It's just doing someone in the organization a solid. We used to do those in the past with guys like Cote, Labrie, Vermin and Richard as guys not really good enough to be in the NHL but we gave them a few games. We wouldn't even give Walcott any games it would just show he made the opening night roster even if he was in the press box for the game. It's just a nice gesture to a kid who's done good stuff for the organization. Days been here a few months so he can wait his turn.
It should be Walcott, but if the taxi squad guys aren't able to be recalled yet, I don't see how anyone else waived would be. At least, that's my understanding of the rules this season.

Ross Colton is entering his third season with Syracuse. That's the other league min contract that doesn't need waivers.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
TB pulls a bit of a sneaky by not placing Borgman onto the taxi squad right away, and assigning Ben Thomas to Syracuse.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
So much for Thomas being rewarded, not a surprise though. I like the smaller squad though, not wasting anyone's time.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Why is this sneaky?
Not actually sneaky, but sort of unexpected.

The possibility of getting to the cap always included tons of roster possibilities, but what it was looking like was that Thomas and Borgman would be on the taxi squad to start the season.

I preferred the 'waiver exempt' route to fill the extra league min contracts, as they'd burn a day on their waived players. Thinking about it now, 30 individual days are probably plenty, and they'd hit the 10 game threshold first. I still had the AHL recall template in my mind where you wouldn't micromanage that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Joseph might be a real good fit with Stephens and Maroon actually. We shall see tomorrow.

Eeeeh, 17-71-7 was pretty good in Joseph's rookie year. Seeing in contribute last night makes me think we should give it a minute. Not a big fan of Johnson on 4th, because I think he can still score 20+ (in 82 games), but I also like having a second line with a bit of chemistry. Johnson and Killorn probably have the worst chemistry of any two players on the team.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Eeeeh, 17-71-7 was pretty good in Joseph's rookie year. Seeing in contribute last night makes me think we should give it a minute. Not a big fan of Johnson on 4th, because I think he can still score 20+ (in 82 games), but I also like having a second line with a bit of chemistry. Johnson and Killorn probably have the worst chemistry of any two players on the team.

Johnson + Killorn = dumpster fire. Not excited about it. Stamkos has had a tendency over the year to lose confidence in his shot after long periods of injury and even though he has been out a really long time, he looked like he hasn't missed a beat and is liable to keep playing at the level we've seen since that horrific blunder against Nashville early in the 2018 season and it just seemingly turned everything around for him. But again. 1 game. But if that's true... give Stamkos his own line. Put Johnson in his place with Point and Palat. One can literally play with anyone on the team and the other is Johnson's best linemate basically ever.

If that can't salvage Johnson then probably nothing can.

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad