Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
It's interesting observing Iafallo's points per game this season. He currently ranks in the top 30 among all left wings, and Iafallo at .62, he has a higher point per game than the following left wingers:

Jamie Benn
Brady Tkachuk
Jonathan Drouin
Pierre-Luc Dubois
Brandon Saad
Patrik Laine
Taylor Hall
Tim Stutzle
Tanner Pearson
Zach Parise
Jaden Schwartz
Jason Zucker

I think Iafallo is worthy of the contract Montreal gave to Toffoli. He's better than Pearson, might not score as many as Toffoli, but he's a significant cog on this roster.

The uneducated posters who whine about Iafallo likely don't know what he brings to the table, and there is nobody better than him on the roster who can take his spot, and who is available that can be had who would replace his offense? The more expensive and less productive Taylor Hall?
Yea only the well educated posters think hes better than the players on your list. Some of those guys arent even first line and top power play unit.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yea only the well educated posters think hes better than the players on your list. Some of those guys arent even first line and top power play unit.

So who deserves Iafallo’s ice time on the Kings? And a good majority of those listed players are top line players and earn significantly more than Iafallo. But keep spewing your clueless thoughts on him, we already know your stance on Iafallo.

Reactions: go4hockey

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
So who deserves Iafallo’s ice time on the Kings? And a good majority of those listed players are top line players and earn significantly more than Iafallo. But keep spewing your clueless thoughts on him, we already know your stance on Iafallo.
Do you think hes playing that well this year? Like the power play has been cold for weeks at a time why not at least shuffle it around. You dont think so?

Reactions: kenito7

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It's interesting observing Iafallo's points per game this season. He currently ranks in the top 30 among all left wings, and Iafallo at .62, he has a higher point per game than the following left wingers:

Jamie Benn
Brady Tkachuk
Jonathan Drouin
Pierre-Luc Dubois
Brandon Saad
Patrik Laine
Taylor Hall
Tim Stutzle
Tanner Pearson
Zach Parise
Jaden Schwartz
Jason Zucker

I think Iafallo is worthy of the contract Montreal gave to Toffoli. He's better than Pearson, might not score as many as Toffoli, but he's a significant cog on this roster.

The uneducated posters who whine about Iafallo likely don't know what he brings to the table, and there is nobody better than him on the roster who can take his spot, and who is available that can be had who would replace his offense? The more expensive and less productive Taylor Hall?

I'll bite:
I would rather have Iafallo over Benn at this point in Benn's carerr
Brady T is young and up and coming. Easily take him over Iafallo
Drouin maybe a coin flip for me
PLD plays center so eliminated for me
Iafallo > saad
Laine is primarily a RW but I would take over Iafallo as LA needs a finisher
Hall is having a down year, but I would take over Iafallo
Stutzle should no be compared due to rookie season.
Iafallo>Pearson imo
Parise is on the back nine like Benn. Iafallo over Parise for me
Schwartz>Iafallo. Schwartz is underated
Zucker and Iafallo is a coin flip for me.

I agree with the Toffoli contract as far as annual cap hit but would prefer 3 year term

Reactions: tbrown33

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

If LA cannot come to terms with Iafallo and move him I would move Brown to LW and put Vilardi on the right side.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Do you think hes playing that well this year? Like the power play has been cold for weeks at a time why not at least shuffle it around. You dont think so?

You didn’t answer my question, and I’ll follow it up by asking who should get his ice time on the power play? He has 7 points when the Kings are on the man-advantage, but the puck is mostly controlled by the same three players: Kopitar, Doughty, and Kempe.

And those 7 PP points also rank Iafallo in the top 30 of PP production among LWs in the NHL.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If LA cannot come to terms with Iafallo and move him I would move Brown to LW and put Vilardi on the right side.

Would be interesting to see Vilardi as a winger, but he doesn’t have Iafallo’s motor to be the first on the forecheck pressuring defenders.

I know takeaways is a flawed stat in that it isn’t calculated the same way in every arena, but Iafallo is tied with Athanasiou for the team lead in that category, and I don’t think there is much disputing that those two are the best forwards on the team when it comes to applying pressure on the opposition.

Something Wagner needs to learn to be better at, and something we need to see more of from Kempe.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Would be interesting to see Vilardi as a winger, but he doesn’t have Iafallo’s motor to be the first on the forecheck pressuring defenders.

I know takeaways is a flawed stat in that it isn’t calculated the same way in every arena, but Iafallo is tied with Athanasiou for the team lead in that category, and I don’t think there is much disputing that those two are the best forwards on the team when it comes to applying pressure on the opposition.

Something Wagner needs to learn to be better at, and something we need to see more of from Kempe.

for sure. I think Vilardi is destined to be a winger long term, so why not put him there to try and boost his confidence. AA was actually one of the two other wingers I thought of, Kempe is the other.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Does it matter who gets Iafallo's ice time at this point? Play with 4 guys for all I care, won't make a lick of difference this season.

the discussion is about re-signing or trading. If he is re-signed it is not about this year.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
You didn’t answer my question, and I’ll follow it up by asking who should get his ice time on the power play? He has 7 points when the Kings are on the man-advantage, but the puck is mostly controlled by the same three players: Kopitar, Doughty, and Kempe.

And those 7 PP points also rank Iafallo in the top 30 of PP production among LWs in the NHL.
I dont have an answer. They wont have a true replacement until the next wave starts getting called up. I have even said he should be re signed but he should be paid carefully and only moved if the offer is really good. Like I dont even think a late first is worth it they need a high end young player ready to contribute now.
But when higher end talent gets called up like Kaliyev and Kupari I do want to see them get opportunity on the power play and scoring lines not bottom six role players. I think if hes the go to forward after Kopitar they need him to be more of a driver on a daily basis. If you think hes driving play and playing like a top player in the league thats ok. I have no motive or agenda to hate on him its just how I see it and i see others do as well.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Does it matter who gets Iafallo's ice time at this point? Play with 4 guys for all I care, won't make a lick of difference this season.

It does when the organization claims that they're ready to take the next step, then proceed to trade their most productive LWer with nobody in line to replace his production or ice time.

For those who think just shoving prospects into the lineup is the solution, then I guess it doesn't matter.

Reactions: funky

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I just want to remind everyone that the average salary for an NHL player is almost $3 million per year. By all accounts Iafallo is an above average player, plays the game the right way, and coming up on being a UFA. Seems like paying him slightly more than average would be a pretty good idea.

Reactions: funky

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Tanner Pearson just signed for for 3 years, 9.75 million. 3.25M cap hit.

Pearson, LW, 28 Y.O.
Career point per game average: .46

Iafallo, LW, 27 Y.O.
Career point per game average: .47

Last year Pearson had 21g, 45p in 69gp.

There's no way in hell Iafallo should get 5M.

Pearson also got a no trade clause, which likely costed him some dollars off the top. Not 1.75 mill off the top, but maybe he would have gotten 3.5 - 3.75 a year without the NTC.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
1) It doesn't really matter since he IS a first liner and has been for three years

2) His production has been at a steady 50 point level for 2 seasons, putting him within the top 30 in a position that historically and currently is the lowest scoring spot of the three forward positions

3) The deal would end as his prime ends, no non-prime years included at that rate

I listed all the true comparables in another thread a few weeks ago. There are a good 15 left wingers of the same age and production, none of which are making less than $4.75 mil as a cap hit.
I don’t disagree entirely but given the leagues cap situation it would be huge over payment. None of the play-off teams will give him anything like 5m x 4, there is just zero leverage for him to get a deal like that. I’d be shocked if someone gave him 4 x 4. Other players signed most of those deals when the cap was projected to increase, its a different world now.

I’d like to re-sign him but at 4m+ I’d only give him 2 years. If he would take 3.5, I’d be ok with 4 years but I’d prefer 3. The cap is going to be flat for the next few seasons, so it wouldn’t be a bad deal for him. If the cap was going up like it was projected in 2019 then I could see 5m x 4 as attainable for him, but it isn’t that world any longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schrute farms

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Pearson also got a no trade clause, which likely costed him some dollars off the top. Not 1.75 mill off the top, but maybe he would have gotten 3.5 - 3.75 a year without the NTC.
The Vancouver fans really hate the deal and consider it overpayment even without the NTC. They feel his game is on a downward swing.

It’s a dumb deal from a structure standpoint at they’ve backloaded the cash and the bonus’ making him really hard to move even in the last year. He’s NTC is in year 1, and I believe it’s a MTC In year 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbrown33

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

The point there is people believe those are sexy names and if you inserted one of them instead of "Iafallo" no one would be bitching.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Toffoli, RW, 27 Y.O.
Career PPG Avg: .59

Contract signed last off season: 4 years, 17 million, 4.25M cap hit.

And that's coming off a season in which he had 24g, 44pts, in 68gp.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The Vancouver fans really hate the deal and consider it overpayment even without the NTC. They feel his game is on a downward swing.

It’s a dumb deal from a structure standpoint at they’ve backloaded the cash and the bonus’ making him really hard to move even in them last year. He’s NTC is in year 1, and I believe it’s a MTC In year 2.

His numbers look bad this year but they probably love the deal last year. This very Board loved the Blake contract to him and then were glad to get out of it in what was mostly a pure dump of a trade and, to be fair, the moving of an asset at its lowest value.

It's the timing of this contract that makes it real rough. This contract doesn't help the Iafallo negotiations from the Kings perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad