Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
A lot of them probably won't pan out though.
If we have to many then most won't get opportunity to show what they can do. This is something that needs to be considered in a long term developement plan.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
We don't need any forwards we have to many coming already. Any prospect coming back should be a nhl ready lefthanded defenseman with size. I would also consider a above average goalie prospect ( i dont see one in Toronto however)

An upgrade on Walker and Clague who they may lose in expansion. I’d love Sandin but I think he’s a pipe dream.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
With Trevor moore on a 35 point pace, what kind of contract extension do you think he receives?

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
I don’t think so. He has less than 5 years pro experience and fewer than 80 games played (not sure if they reduced the number due to the shorter seasons, but he’d still be well under).

Note: I’m assuming it’s 80 games because he’s 21, but if he were 20 he’d have to of played 160 games - I’m not sure if there is an age cut off to set eligibility rules for the season or if literally changes on the players 21st birthday (and can’t be bothered looking) but I do know Vilardi turned 21 in August.

It’s ludicrous the stick he’s getting after a grand total of 47 career games and a whole bunch of games missed due to injury over the last few years. Probably the same people that were saying he’d never step onto NHL ice. I’m not saying I don’t want to see more from him but the refusal from some to recognise the context of where he’s at is ludicrous, almost to the point of trolling.

I’m fine with sending him down to play big minutes and work on his conditioning further. I’m also fine with him staying up, if a break is all he needs, but he needs to get decent ice time. Long term he’s going to be an important piece it’s just a case of if it’s at Center or Wing.
They should send him down. Get him some minutes in the A.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

While the 27-year-old pending unrestricted free agent isn’t on the TSN Trade Bait board, could Los Angeles look to move him if the two sides don’t reach an extension?
Seravalli:
We’ve avoided to this point adding Alex Iafallo to our TSN Trade Bait board because they seem so intent on getting a contract extension done. To this point, that has not materialized and we’re told that Kings general manager Rob Blake for the first time began taking calls on Alex Iafallo judging his availability on the market and it seems like one of those things that’s going to down to the wire. These two sides are going to continue to try and hammer away at an extension. If that doesn’t get done, it certainly seems like Iafallo could be one of those guys on the move before Monday. A guy with 20-plus goals, 50-plus points and one of our TSN breakout stars before the year started.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Iafallo may get a better return than Taylor Hall if Blake does his job. Getting a late first could enable a move for the LHD in the summer. Also extracting a 21 / 22 year old forward (ideally with size) back who is the #2/3 prospect in the other organization would be a shrewd move.

Maybe I’m biased but I hate the idea of trading Kempe today. He is likely a third liner, but he could be a great one in 2 years when hopefully this team is back in the playoffs for real, not on the backs of the cup vets.

In the interim, I pray to Jobu that Coach Todd stops trying to galaxy brain shit and puts together a line of Kempe, Kopitar and Vilardi. They’re the top most skilled and talented forwards on this team. Just play them together for 15 games. I’ll take 4+ goals a game from here on out regardless of wins and losses.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
iafallo's definitely a big chip right now, and honestly he's played himself into it. i haven't exactly been singing his praises for a couple seasons now but he's lowkey been driving that line lately

might be the time to sell high imo

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I want Blake to ask Iaffalo if he’d like some playoff experience and possibility of a cup run. And then say we’re willing to do that for you if you want but we’d like you to sign here in the off-season.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
I would not be so fast to deal either Iafallo or Kempe. If Iafallo does not sign a contract by Monday, seems he could get dealt, more so than Kempe.
I suppose if there was a very good offer (and he won't sign reasonable contract) for Iafallo, do it.

My reservations on Kempe, is that when you see him score 5 goals in 2 back to back games on Gibson, that's pretty special. But how do you get him to
go 5-10 games in a lull? Then he does that slick give and go with Clague last night. Top end shttt. Not many Kings can make plays like that.
Then there's the 2 mil cap hit, with 1 more year.

I fear he goes and the return is not so great....and he goes somewhere and starts scoring 25 goals a year. And what you get for him pales to that.
Has he EVER really had a good center to play with? He finally transitions to wing and there are no bonafide NHL centers to play with here, except
Kopitar...and God knows no coach ever breaks up Iafallo - Kopi - Brown. I guess Adrian got a game or so with Kopi. I would prefer to
go out and get a#2 center, but not so easily done. If Kempe was playing with a legit #2 center, i think he'a 25 goal player here. Carter certainly can't be that and Gabe could not...Gabe should probably be RW anyway.

Too bad Clague makes better plays than any King center, except Kopi. Or not too bad...as Clague is legit and should never be out of the
lineup again. He is good enough to be top 4 D and instead of giving up the farm for a 1 LHD, I'd almost be more wanting to give up
some of the farm for a #2C.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I dunno, I think if people started thinking about Kempe in the vein of Andrew Cogliano rather than Andrew MacDonald they'll be happier with him. I think he's a great utility knife and will be a great middle sixer when the team fills out.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
In the interim, I pray to Jobu that Coach Todd stops trying to galaxy brain shit and puts together a line of Kempe, Kopitar and Vilardi. They’re the top most skilled and talented forwards on this team. Just play them together for 15 games. I’ll take 4+ goals a game from here on out regardless of wins and losses.

Did someone say Jobu? Pedro Cerrano will be most pleased.

giphy.gif

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
I'm glad that Blake is holding firm in not overpaying Iafallo. Alex's deal should come in the middle of Toffoli $4.25 and Pearson $3,25. Any deal that comes in over $3.75 would be higher than market value. In three years when our top prospects are in the NHL and coming off their ELCs, we are going to have serious Cap issues so watching what we pay today will be critical. Iafallo is a valuable piece no doubt but he is not a top 6 wing on a Stanley Cup contending team. My guess is that he'll be traded to Boston or Toronto for a late #1 pick.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'm glad that Blake is holding firm in not overpaying Iafallo. Alex's deal should come in the middle of Toffoli $4.25 and Pearson $3,25. Any deal that comes in over $3.75 would be higher than market value. In three years when our top prospects are in the NHL and coming off their ELCs, we are going to have serious Cap issues so watching what we pay today will be critical. Iafallo is a valuable piece no doubt but he is not a top 6 wing on a Stanley Cup contending team. My guess is that he'll be traded to Boston or Toronto for a late #1 pick.

Toffoli's deal is a good comp for me, but maybe with less term.

I leaning more and more to wanting Blake to trade him if the contract ask is too high

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Toffoli's deal is a good comp for me, but maybe with less term.

I leaning more and more to wanting Blake to trade him if the contract ask is too high

That's maybe why I'm not so ready to deal him, I don't see a world in which Iafallo gets a better deal elsewhere. He chose to sign here in the first place, there's a flat cap, he's riding shotgun next to Kopitar for the forseeable future, and we have the money to pay him. Maybe a deeply analytical team wants to throw 4x5 at him or something in which case, good for him. But I don't see him getting anything crazier than 3x4 or 4x3.5 or something. I agree with the Pearson and Toffoli comps for a lot of reasons, including similar production in LA, and similar market at time of signing.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
That's maybe why I'm not so ready to deal him, I don't see a world in which Iafallo gets a better deal elsewhere. He chose to sign here in the first place, there's a flat cap, he's riding shotgun next to Kopitar for the forseeable future, and we have the money to pay him. Maybe a deeply analytical team wants to throw 4x5 at him or something in which case, good for him. But I don't see him getting anything crazier than 3x4 or 4x3.5 or something. I agree with the Pearson and Toffoli comps for a lot of reasons, including similar production in LA, and similar market at time of signing.

term is going to be the thing for me. I want his contract 3 or less years if he re-signs.

On another note, hindsight is 20/20 but I wish LA would have claimed Ghost. Would help the PP and LA's lack of depth on D has been exploited since.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
term is going to be the thing for me. I want his contract 3 or less years if he re-signs.

On another note, hindsight is 20/20 but I wish LA would have claimed Ghost. Would help the PP and LA's lack of depth on D has been exploited since.

As do I--but I could see Blake giving on an extra year before I see him giving on extra AAV.

Reactions: Piston

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

I've never been bullish on Iafallo but I can't argue with the counting stats but I still come back to he's doing it while getting primo minutes/opportunity on basically a last place team that only has one line/PP unit that can score. You can't just put Grundstrom up there instead and expect the same production so I'm not crapping on him but I agree with the idea of him not being a Top 6 winger on a contender unless you are pretty stacked in the rest of the Top 6. I'd love him in a 3rd line role but the Kings haven't been able to replace him on the top line yet so there he stays.

This is a tough one because the player does have value but does he get a four year deal and is on the 3rd line by Year 3? On the other hand, what are you doing with a late 1st round pick if you don't use it in a package for someone that can help immediately? Hope that the late first round pick is at least as good as Iafallo in three-to-four years?

Kings currently have two seconds and two thirds in this draft. Adding another first is enticing when you think about the amount of picks, prospects and cap Blake would have to work with when looking to make an impact trade.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
Didn't Blake have some clause in the Toronto deal, if Campbell won 3 or more games, the 3rd would become a second rounder? He should have added "if Jack wins 10 games in a row, any time in the next 2 years, the Kings get 2 first round picks" since that would be impossible..... :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad