Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
His numbers look bad this year but they probably love the deal last year. This very Board loved the Blake contract to him and then were glad to get out of it in what was mostly a pure dump of a trade and, to be fair, the moving of an asset at its lowest value.

It's the timing of this contract that makes it real rough. This contract doesn't help the Iafallo negotiations from the Kings perspective.
I’m not sure it hurts us as I really don’t see who is going to stump up significant cash and term, maybe one of them but not both. I could see him maybe doing a 2 year deal in the hope he can then cash in when the cap starts climbing again. I think that’s the only way he hits 4m.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like him as a player but I just don’t see he has much leverage in his favour. He’s our top left wing right now, no doubt, but for most other teams he won’t fill that role. I think he’s probably more valuable to LA than anyone else and I really hope they come to a deal, but I expect him to get less than he wants. A trade maybe gives up a pick to move up in the draft, but we really don’t need extra draft picks and have enough to package up and move up if we need to.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
The point there is people believe those are sexy names and if you inserted one of them instead of "Iafallo" no one would be bitching.
I cant speak for others but yea Id bitch about some of those. Parise is on the 4th line I think now and it started because the coach gave the top line opportunity to a rookie with high end talent. Zucker is a 2nd liner and unnoticeable in a lot of games. I think Schwartz is similar to Iafallo though and I wonder what Blues fans say about him. But I have seen PLD play at a level Iafallo never has and Tkachuk also brings a lot of energy to a game that would be a great addition for the Kings.
If the Kings were deeper I dont think Id be on Iafallos case but hes out there so much and Im just waiting for him to play like a beast.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I’m not sure it hurts us as I really don’t see who is going to stump up significant cash and term, maybe one of them but not both. I could see him maybe doing a 2 year deal in the hope he can then cash in when the cap starts climbing again. I think that’s the only way he hits 4m.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like him as a player but I just don’t see he has much leverage in his favour. He’s our top left wing right now, no doubt, but for most other teams he won’t fill that role. I think he’s probably more valuable to LA than anyone else and I really hope they come to a deal, but I expect him to get less than he wants. A trade maybe gives up a pick to move up in the draft, but we really don’t need extra draft picks and have enough to package up and move up if we need to.

It's an interesting situation. I ultimately think he gets signed because I believe there is a real expectation to make the playoffs next season so a futures trade doesn't make sense; however, it does make sense if Blake is determined to move picks/prospects in a trade and views that as more important.

Obviously, the move here is the old Keith Tkachuk to Atlanta and then back to St. Louis as a UFA in the off-season. Not sure if there are rules against this now but that would be the ultimate play.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I love how people praise Iafallo for playing the right way and others bitch about Kempe and his inconsistency yet their production is nearly identical you have one playing with Kopitar and Brown and the other playing with fading and failure to launch.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I love how people praise Iafallo for playing the right way and others bitch about Kempe and his inconsistency yet their production is nearly identical while you have one playing with Kopitar and Brown and the other playing mostly with fading and failure to launch.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I love how people praise Iafallo for playing the right way and others bitch about Kempe and his inconsistency yet their production is nearly identical you have one playing with Kopitar and Brown and the other playing with fading and failure to launch.

I guess Kempe doesn’t get that prime ice time on the PP either. Must’ve imagined that.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Well, let's see AI averages slightly more PP time per game then AK. I also didn't mention AK has scored -- what 44% more goals?

Other way around, Kempe averages slightly more PP ice time, and Kempe has 12 PP points, versus Iafallo's 7.

Now if you look at even strength GF%, Iafallo is third among forwards on the team, Kempe is 11th.

I'll let you guess which one of the two gets far more defensive zone starts as well and is towards the bottom in offensive zone starts, yet has better underlying numbers at even strength.
NHL Stats

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Other way around, Kempe averages slightly more PP ice time, and Kempe has 12 PP points, versus Iafallo's 7.

Now if you look at even strength GF%, Iafallo is third among forwards on the team, Kempe is 11th.

I'll let you guess which one of the two gets far more defensive zone starts as well and is towards the bottom in offensive zone starts, yet has better underlying numbers at even strength.
NHL Stats
And who does AI play with at even strength? And why isn't AI getting significantly more PP time?

Reactions: kenito7

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I just want to remind everyone that the average salary for an NHL player is almost $3 million per year. By all accounts Iafallo is an above average player, plays the game the right way, and coming up on being a UFA. Seems like paying him slightly more than average would be a pretty good idea.

that number would bee be inflated by the stars in the league as well as the over paid guys though (Neal, Lucic, Price, Bobrovsky). Now guys on entry deals would also offset that.

Average salary is just hard to use.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
FYI - if the Kings sign AI, I would also sign AA.

Kings really need some decent players at the wing at the mid 20's bracket.

AA has impressed me all season. Besides Kopitar, Brown - the best forwards have been AI, AA, Moore and JAD. I think we all can agree.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

AA has impressed me all season. Besides Kopitar, Brown - the best forwards have been AI, AA, Moore and JAD. I think we all can agree.

JAD has not played enough games for me to say that. We would have been praising Vilardi one month in the same way. Hope he continues as i definitely like what I see.

Reactions: KingLB

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I had no idea AA is only 26. I just assumed that dude was like 28-29+ when we got him. Knowing that, i'd definitely like to keep him around for a few years.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I had no idea AA is only 26. I just assumed that dude was like 28-29+ when we got him. Knowing that, i'd definitely like to keep him around for a few years.
yup and he is an RFA. So probably could just be qualified.
If Iafallo is asking for $5M + I would move Iafallo and the qualify AA. Use the difference in cap to address D or to capitalize cap space. Capitalizing cap space something they have done a very poor job of so far. Not sure if that is Blake's doing or ownership watching spending during a pandemic. If it is ownership I cannot blame them. If it Blake than i shake my fist like Abe Simpson

Reactions: Schrute farms

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

You 100% keep AA. The only player who uses his skills to go through defense, and has a fight this season too. Has dimensions to his game.

Yep keep in mind he's also an RFA.

Even if he doesn't always bring it, when he does, he's high speed and skill and feistyness. Kings havne't had an 'instant offense' guy like ever.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yep keep in mind he's also an RFA.

Even if he doesn't always bring it, when he does, he's high speed and skill and feistyness. Kings havne't had an 'instant offense' guy like ever.

Exactly we need that Dynamicism that he brings.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'd want him only for the lottery win.
Lolololol we suck at winning the lottery too. But I love how dynamic hall can be. Don't care how bad he was on the Sabres. He's proven to be a good player most of his career. That speed and finish.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

You have to add Kempe to that group, but I agree with the rest...

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Iafallo definitely isn’t worth $5M if that is the rumored asking price. Could be why his name is out there if that’s what his agent is asking for. I also would limit the term offered to 3-4 years, and will only go up to 5 if it brings down the AAV to $4M.

I want 3 or less years. the term is more important to me than the dollar amount. Mostly because it is not my money

Reactions: Stimpythecat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad