Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Can Faber even come to camp if he is for sure staying in the NCAA next year? I'm not saying he is ready or should leave college but his profile is that of one of these guys that you weren't expecting much from anytime soon but blew through expectations in his D + 1 to the point where it makes you wonder if he could be a guy that shows up to camp and just takes a spot. He isn't small and his height/weight might be from the time of the draft.

This is the kind of unexpected jackpot guy that Blake needs.

@Herby...I'm not trying to ignite a debate on the pros and cons of staying in school for one's D+2 season. It's more that this board annually says they expect so-and-so to make the team out-of-camp in their D+2 year even if the D+1 year wasn't extraordinary. This is actually a kid who seemed to win a larger-than-expected role at both Minnesota and at the WJC as an August birthday with that larger-than-expected role pretty much being a guy on the top pairing.

Faber can attend rookie camp, but he has to pay his own way if he plans on staying in college.

Reactions: BigKing

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
For the moment, I am saying no on Eichel due to that herniated disc in his neck. I want to see how he recovers and that means seeing him in games in the 2021-2022 season.

If he's offered at a serious discount, that's a different story.

i agree very concerning to bring him in now without knowing the extent of the injury..flip side is it could drive down price.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Can Faber even come to camp if he is for sure staying in the NCAA next year? I'm not saying he is ready or should leave college but his profile is that of one of these guys that you weren't expecting much from anytime soon but blew through expectations in his D + 1 to the point where it makes you wonder if he could be a guy that shows up to camp and just takes a spot. He isn't small and his height/weight might be from the time of the draft.

@Herby...I'm not trying to ignite a debate on the pros and cons of staying in school for one's D+2 season. It's more that this board annually says they expect so-and-so to make the team out-of-camp in their D+2 year even if the D+1 year wasn't extraordinary. This is actually a kid who seemed to win a larger-than-expected role at both Minnesota and at the WJC as an August birthday with that larger-than-expected role pretty much being a guy on the top pairing.

The evidence is overwhelming, players who play a second year of college do much better. This is one of those situations where teams fans would be critical of another team for "rushing" a guy, but then will defend their team doing the same thing. I think our fans (like other teams fans) know the best ways to develop and understand rushing is not good when its about the other 30 teams, but whether it is eagerness to see a player up close or just thinking our players will be different change their tune. And again this isn't something that is exclusive to this board, every team board has discussions on whether (Insert this years most overachieving 2nd or 3rd round pick) can make the team at 19 or 20.

I really like Brock Faber, I think he was an extraordinary pick by Blake in the 2nd round, he is right there with Kaliyev as one of the best value picks not only for the Kings but in the NHL entire NHL in the last 2-3 drafts. He would be a consensus 1st round pick if he were in this draft. That being said, he, just like Turcotte has more to prove at this level, he can be a dominant defenseman next year in the Big Ten and can carry that (as well as maybe 10-15 more pounds) into his pro career starting about this time next year. Could he play in the AHL this fall? Sure he could, but he is not going to be a dominant player at that level next season, and history says that will limit his long-term upside. Cam York could have played this season in Lehigh Valley, doesn't mean it was the best path for him. I think Faber is right there with York, maybe a tad below due to ceiling but right there (excellent considering York went #14). Let him do exactly what York did this year, be a dominant all-American, maybe also captain the WJC team, try and win a national championship as one of the best players on his team and then as soon as the season ends jump right into the AHL for a playoff run. You get the best of both worlds, the confidence of being a dominant player, the experience of developing leadership qualities, more of an ability to spend time in the weight room and also get that valuable AHL experience that will help him as he potentially competes for a roster spot at age 20.

My attitude changes if he were an NHL player, but I don't think Faber is good enough to play in the NHL next fall, he is very good, but teenagers shouldn't be in the NHL unless they are the elite of the elite.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Any news on Bjornfot?

seems like even the actual injury he has hasn’t been announced. Not to mention a timetable for his return

He should becready by Sunday.

As others have said, he can attend development camp if he pays his way. Training camp, no. He loses NCAA eligibility the moment he gets a contract.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
As others have said, he can attend development camp if he pays his way

Yeah but the Kings aren't allowed to give him or any of the NCAA prospects gatorade or stick tape, don't forget that. That makes him a professional.

Sucks for the NHL that the two biggest feeders to the league are two of the most corrupt and pathetic entities in all of sports.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Yeah but the Kings aren't allowed to give him or any of the NCAA prospects gatorade or stick tape, don't forget that. That makes him a professional.

Sucks for the NHL that the two biggest feeders to the league are two of the most corrupt and pathetic entities in all of sports.

Since when do FIFA and the IOC feed the NHL? ;)

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Anyone see the Staples center Covid protocols for attending a game? You have to show proof of full vaccination or negative covid test within 72 hours of event. WTF?? And you are supposed to do this for kids too?

Reactions: ibleedkings

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Anyone see the Staples center Covid protocols for attending a game? You have to show proof of full vaccination or negative covid test within 72 hours of event. WTF?? And you are supposed to do this for kids too?
What were you expecting? Did you really think that they were going to open the doors and just say "come on back!" with no restrictions?

Also, why would want to do that to yourself this season anyway?

Reactions: YP44 and Oof

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
What were you expecting? Did you really think that they were going to open the doors and just say "come on back!" with no restrictions?

Also, why would want to do that to yourself this season anyway?

I think it's nuts that you need that for kids too.

Also, you don't need that for the Honda Center....so, yah, what should be the expectation?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Also, you don't need that for the Honda Center....so, yah, what should be the expectation?

Ducks have a hard enough time getting people in the building regardless so they need to make it as easy as possible?

The true answer is the location of each building: one is LA County and one is Orange County.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Ducks have a hard enough time getting people in the building regardless so they need to make it as easy as possible?

The true answer is the location of each building: one is LA County and one is Orange County.

Was going to post the same thing. The Orange County I grew up in has certainly changed a lot, but it's still Orange County.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls

That sucks. I've never been to Staples (went to GWF and played there twice) and would like to go but I'm not abiding by those rules. I'm sure there will be fake vaccination cards available somewhere...

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I have a feeling this team is going to pay dearly for passing up on both Stutzle AND Zegras. We need elite forwards that can drive play and make other players around them better. QB can develop and replace Kopi, but that's like exchanging 4 quarters for a dollar. We need a different type of player, a dynamic player that can push the play and be a threat offensively every shift. I am really hoping 1 or 2 prospects develop into that type of player but we haven't even developed a top 6 forward in ages.. Toffloli?
I wish people would keep saying Byfield is like Kopitar, they are completely different players. The talk of Kopitar mentoring Byfield isn’t about turning him into a Kopitar clone, it’s about teaching him how to be a pro, how to manage being the main guy mentally and so on. Of course he will learn thing from him, especially on the defensive side but that doesn’t mean they try to neuter his offensive game which is very different to Kopi. QB is certainly a play driver, as will Turcotte be just without the flash. Stutzle will be a great player and score lots of highlight real goals, whereas Byfield will be the guy making everyone around him better and carrying this team on his back at times. His growth this year has me more convinced than ever that he’s going to be the best player from his draft class.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Habs had Zegras 3rd on their list. At pick 5 there would of been alot of teams looking at a different prospect. Detroit went off the board with Seider at 6 for example. Sometimes in a draft you need to take a swing for that dynamic talent. I just feel they are going with the safe picks all the time.

As a result we are so vanilla. We are starving for dynamic players and we keep drafting boring 200ft players. We have a plentora of those types already in JAD, Moore, Iafallo, Kopitar etc.. What we needed was talent to add to these types of players.

I hope our prospects turn out but I would like another swing at a high risk, high reward player like Kaliyev this draft.
Byfield as a start is dynamic, Fagemo is an offence first guy as is, Madden and Kupari. We have offensive talent coming through over the next couple of years but I agree our deep prospect pool does allow for a swing for the fences pick or two.

Reactions: Oof

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Habs had Zegras 3rd on their list. At pick 5 there would of been alot of teams looking at a different prospect. Detroit went off the board with Seider at 6 for example. Sometimes in a draft you need to take a swing for that dynamic talent. I just feel they are going with the safe picks all the time.

As a result we are so vanilla. We are starving for dynamic players and we keep drafting boring 200ft players. We have a plentora of those types already in JAD, Moore, Iafallo, Kopitar etc.. What we needed was talent to add to these types of players.

I hope our prospects turn out but I would like another swing at a high risk, high reward player like Kaliyev this draft.

I agree with you to some extent. I thought the 2019 draft presented a chance to swing for the fences with Caufield, a player I think has legit Rocket Richard winning upside, there were others here who wanted Zegras but most definitely wanted Turcotte. You also have to also consider that the Kings at that point were probably unsure if Vilardi was going to be able to be a pro hockey player and there was (and still is?) some doubt as to whether Zegras will be able to play center in the NHL. Blake probably felt like he had to go center with the Kings first top 5 pick in a decade.

Speaking of the Habs and them being high on Zegras, I wonder if they would do a Caufield for Zegras trade right now if they had the chance.

Reactions: apadilla

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there

Have this concern as well. Philosophically it’s hard to argue against guys that seem built for playoffs. Would like some razzle dazzle tho. Hopefully the top prospects will bring a bit of both.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

I mean if you are doing it to stop spread, there should be no exceptions right? No matter how difficult it may be for any individual?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I agree with you to some extent. I thought the 2019 draft presented a chance to swing for the fences with Caufield, a player I think has legit Rocket Richard winning upside, there were others here who wanted Zegras but most definitely wanted Turcotte. You also have to also consider that the Kings at that point were probably unsure if Vilardi was going to be able to be a pro hockey player and there was (and still is?) some doubt as to whether Zegras will be able to play center in the NHL. Blake probably felt like he had to go center with the Kings first top 5 pick in a decade.

Speaking of the Habs and them being high on Zegras, I wonder if they would do a Caufield for Zegras trade right now if they had the chance.

Supposedly the Kings would have taken Kirby Dach at #5 had he been there, but Chicago took him at 3rd, and many got the sense the Avs wouldn't be passing on Byram, and it seems like the Kings went with the consensus safe pick.

Had they selected who I really wanted at the #5 spot, Zegras, I don't think that would have come as much of a surprise or shock like say, Hickey going at #4 in 2007. There are going to be a number of teams who picked 1-8 who are going to be kicking themselves for passing on him, and the same will apply with Caufield.

Interesting note to add about Zegras is that he was shifted to play LW at the WJC, with Turcotte at C and Kaliyev on RW.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Interesting note to add about Zegras is that he was shifted to play LW at the WJC, with Turcotte at C and Kaliyev on RW.

And now the Ducks sent Zegras back down to learn to play center and Turcotte has been playing a bit of LW for the Reign. It will be interesting how that ends up. If both guys can effectively play both positions it adds a lot to their value, look at Joe Pavelski and Patrick Sharp.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If they can pull it off without giving up Byfield, do it. Maybe they’ll be dumb enough to take another O’Reilly like return.

I thought maybe a couple of months ago they could have avoided including Byfield but now it looks like there is no way he wouldn't be going the other way. Byfield is really the only Eichel level talent the Kings have.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
If they can pull it off without giving up Byfield, do it. Maybe they’ll be dumb enough to take another O’Reilly like return.

I'm really over the whole "picks and prospects and picks and prospects" phase at this point. I want some legit superstar talent on this team that will make an immediate impact. Eichel would be a killer 1A/1B C. I don't put much concern on him missing the rest of the season given how weird this shortened season is and how absolutely wretched the Sabres are. Unfortunately we all know he'd probably be a 20G/50P player on this team. He'd probably blow out a couple more disks carrying whichever two fringe NHL wingers he had to play with. Kings need to swing a couple big moves this off season, at least 1 forward and 1 defenseman. Maybe the Sabres can tank at trading and give us a buy one get one deal on Eichel and Dahlin! :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad