Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
So ya, lets continue bashing Dom. His "model" is basically all about goals scored above or below expectation.

I like him for some stuff, but he is very critical. I used to really like Rob Vollman, who now works for the kings, as he would come onto the local radio station here. He is more of a guy that, to me, uses advance stats practically. For Dom it is the be all and end all.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
upload_2021-3-19_10-54-17.png

I will not pretend this is true, but if the Kings did trade quick who would be their expansion draft bait? And would it damage their chances to maybe make the playoffs this year?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
People can be annoyed by those comments/rankings in the Athletic, but it's not like they don't have a point.

The Kings are averaging a pathetic 1.67 5v5 goals per game. That's usually a pretty good indicator that your team sucks.

For perspective the lowly Ducks average 1.74 and the Sharks average 1.95.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Amadio was put on waivers??

Now who will be the designated whipping boy? Carter? Macdermid? Maatta? We should set up a new poll!

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
People can be annoyed by those comments/rankings in the Athletic, but it's not like they don't have a point.

The Kings are averaging a pathetic 1.67 5v5 goals per game. That's usually a pretty good indicator that your team sucks.

Perhaps, but the Kings are just about the most disciplined team in the league and have the highest net penalty differential of any team. They're also one of the best teams on the power play. Advanced stats don't paint the whole picture.

Reactions: bouncesonly

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Not trading Quick. The rumblings earlier were the Kings were happy with the goaltending tandem. Plus, the kings need quick for the expansion draft.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The Kings don't have a lot of organizational goaltending depth right now. Trading Quick would leave them very vulnerable.
very very good point.
If this did theoretically happen, we would need to get another goalie back for depth

Anyone: Does exposing Grosenick count as exposing a goalie if we protect Cal Worthington?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I do expect the Kings to be drafting a goaltender relatively high in one of the next two drafts.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020

Ok, as a fan that don't understand anything about these numbers, tell me why I should be concerned about it? The Atlantic may have a point, but if I can't understand it, I'm not going to be as invested with what they say about the Kings' stats. Sometimes, regarding when people talk analytics, it's ok to dumb things down for people to understand.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Quick is in the same category as Dustin Brown. Sure some teams might be interested but they aren't gonna offer anything of value. The Kings don't need the cap space so they're better off keeping them.

I would be more open to dealing Quick than Brown

Reactions: go4hockey

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
So ya, lets continue bashing Dom. His "model" is basically all about goals scored above or below expectation.

I like him for some stuff, but he is very critical. I used to really like Rob Vollman, who now works for the kings, as he would come onto the local radio station here. He is more of a guy that, to me, uses advance stats practically. For Dom it is the be all and end all.

I do like looking to expected goals as one reference point of analysis when you’re comparing teams relatively, but they’re certainly not the end-all, be-all of hockey analysis. That’s especially true when the models vary widely depending on which source you’re looking at.

It’s been documented elsewhere that some of the models based on the public shot location data are not very good because the data are not very accurate. (As far as I know, Dom is using publicly available data.) From everything I’ve read and heard, the proprietary team models are much more accurate.

I actually listened to an interesting podcast along these lines the other day that gives good perspective on data v. eye test, especially when it comes to teams as they play systematically: ‎[URL="https://hockeypdocast.com/2021/03/17/ep-388-making-necessary-adjustments/"]Ep.388: Making Necessary Adjustments[/URL]

Reactions: YP44

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
If someone's willing to overpay for Quick, I'm all over it. It would just be practical, but no one is going to overpay for him so it won't be an issue. He's going to retire a King I'm fairly confident.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Ok, as a fan that don't understand anything about these numbers, tell me why I should be concerned about it? The Atlantic may have a point, but if I can't understand it, I'm not going to be as invested with what they say about the Kings' stats. Sometimes, regarding when people talk analytics, it's ok to dumb things down for people to understand.
I mean the stat I gave is pretty simple. 5v5 goals divided by games played.

As far as the expected goals model Dom is using, I'm not an expert on it, but it's based on likely scoring relative to the number of quality chances/shots the team is producing.

So in the NHL if a goal is scored on average once per 10 high danger chances, then you could deduce from the number of high danger chances what a teams expected goals scoring rate is going to be.

Conversely you could estimate expected goals a team is going to give up using this metric.

The difference between the two numbers, gives you insight into how a good a team is.

Reactions: Anguyen92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad