Speculation: 2020-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
That is the exact opposite of what Blake should do. You know why? Because he tried it for two years when it was blatantly obvious that it should have been torn down.

This rebuild is two years behind where it should be because Blake and Robitaille misunderstood what made the previous team successful. It just wasn't this core, it was the ridiculously deep and driven pieces around them that lifted them up to a championship level. When they left - without a single asset in return - the core was exposed for what it was. Mediocrity.

Kopitar and Doughty have doubtlessly been informed of the direction, and even if they haven't they know far better than us what's going on. They signed their deals on a team that was heading straight down into a rebuild, there is no reason whatsoever to try and maximize their last few years.
Fortunately Blake wants the team to make the playoffs this year.The rebuild as we see it now is pretty much coming to end and time to shape the roster with talent thru trades.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I also note for this offseason, Blake needs to make moves to improve our roster, other than relying on our blue chip prospects to develop. If we were doing a full-blown rebuild with Kopitar and Doughty also traded for picks prospects, this would not be necessary. But if we are keeping guys like Kopitar and Doughty, they have may 2-3 more good years in them. Kings need to push for and make the playoffs, with hopefully deep runs during that time period.
I agree,its time to realize this.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
This year that showed when Vilardi couldn't take the step forward we hoped and Kempe's ugly inconsistency came back.

Everyone playing with Carter would not take a step forward. As soon as Carter gets the puck he turns it over and he can't score a goal to save his life.
How this guy was a 30 goal scorer is far beyond me

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Everyone playing with Carter would not take a step forward. As soon as Carter gets the puck he turns it over and he can't score a goal to save his life.

Don't you just love it when Carter flings the puck through the slot without looking? Carter also is such a terrible passer.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Imagine expecting a 36-yr-old to score 30. Did you think he was Alexander Ovechkin? lol Right now he's 7th in goals, 4th in assists, and 6th in total points. So... Sounds like the problem is more than Carter on this team since he's not at the bottom of production.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
As annoying as Penner was. He definitely had some memorable moments.

Kinda crazy.

f*** man, that crowd. God this hurts to watch. The atmosphere was so f***ing intoxicating. Ughhhh. The glory days and fans to this shit.

Reactions: 21Dog and KINGS17

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don't know, but I definitely think the Kings would have takers if Kopitar was available.
If you can’t name anyone that should tell you something. I’m sure the kings could trade him for SOMETHING but if it’s a 3rd round pick and a b level prospect then why bother?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Imagine expecting a 36-yr-old to score 30. Did you think he was Alexander Ovechkin? lol Right now he's 7th in goals, 4th in assists, and 6th in total points. So... Sounds like the problem is more than Carter on this team since he's not at the bottom of production.
Yeah Carter sucks but the fact that nobody can displace him yet is the real issue.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If you can’t name anyone that should tell you something. I’m sure the kings could trade him for SOMETHING but if it’s a 3rd round pick and a b level prospect then why bother?

Kopitar caliber players don't really hit the market. That's why. I mean, if Carter got a 1st and JJ with all those years left on his contract.. I don't see why Kopitar can't. He's got a great resume and he's still producing. Kings could get a first.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Kopitar caliber players don't really hit the market. That's why. I mean, if Carter got a 1st and JJ with all those years left on his contract.. I don't see why Kopitar can't. He's got a great resume and he's still producing. Kings could get a first.

that should also tell you something. Carter was 26 when he was traded, not pushing 34. It’s all academic anyway. The only way Kopitar moves is if he wants to, and I just don’t see him leaving his beach life for <insert frozen shithole here>. He’s got nothing left to chase.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Iaffalo Kopitar Brown
Turcotte Byfield Vilardi
Kempe Kupari AA*
Moore JAD Lemieux

Andersson
Grundstrom
Carter
Lizotte

If the rookies make the team, gonna need some open spots. Not sure AA gets resigned honestly.

Fagemo/Thomas/Madden could contend too.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Some of you folks are delusional. Kopitar isn't going anywhere. If they wouldn't trade Carter out of respect what makes you thing AK will be traded. Second, he no longer has an NMC but a 7 team list NTC. Good luck finding a match with that. Moreover, the idea that TM needs to be fired because he will miss the playoffs in the second full year of a rebuild is beyond laughable.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
that should also tell you something. Carter was 26 when he was traded, not pushing 34. It’s all academic anyway. The only way Kopitar moves is if he wants to, and I just don’t see him leaving his beach life for <insert frozen shithole here>. He’s got nothing left to chase.

Because there isn't many Kopitars lol. But whatever doesn't matter really anyways.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Again, Kopitar's contract isn't that bad since it isnt for a very long time. Another 3 years, retain 30 percent and Kopitar for 7 million isn't that bad at all for a team looking to make a serious push. And yeah, the Kings can get a good piece back definitely.

Also, if management thinks it's a better idea to let an asset rot just so he can "mentor" the youth then they are completely stupid. You dont let an asset like that waste away just to teach the youth. The Kings can get a vet like Willie D down the line if they want to add experience. It shouldn't come at such a steep price by letting Kopitar's value rot when the Kings and Kopitar are in completely different places right now. You say that the Kings need to take a bad salary then proceed to call him a 2 time cup champ, a selke winner, and he's still good, how exactly is that going to be a trade that's going to be bad for the Kings? Kopitars got what, like 2-3 years max to remain a very good player. Kings aren't going to be doing shit in the next 3 years. at best playoff bubble team. The Kings dont need Kopitar and Kopitar should be traded to a team looking to make a push. It'd be doing right by Kopitar and in the best interest of the Kings. Wasting a potentially good return on a player like Kopitar just to teach the youth is a luxury, not a necessity.

Ah, the classic "these are assets, not people" argument. Just trade Kopitar to get the most "value" back. Any dipshit can mentor the players and take on the No. 1 Center role like Kopitar.

Glad to know you want the Edmonton and Buffalo approach.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

What did you expect, the 25 year old Carter to magically show up this season? I sort of expected this, although I thought he'd score a bit more. He's been playing with a rookie with potential and the second coming of Frolov the way Kempe turns invisible. This is not just a carter issue, its a team issue. The young bottom 9, no matter who they put together can't score.

Token

May 15, 2019
Iaffalo Kopitar Brown
Turcotte Byfield Vilardi
Kempe Kupari AA*
Moore JAD Lemieux

Andersson
Grundstrom
Carter
Lizotte

If the rookies make the team, gonna need some open spots. Not sure AA gets resigned honestly.

Fagemo/Thomas/Madden could contend too.
If Kopi is still playing top line with Iafallo and Brown next year ...

That would be a big fail.

The rebuild starts to shift only when we graduate top-line talent.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

Why would it be a “big fail”? Who exactly is capable of coming in next year and playing top line minutes? Vilardi? Some kid who is in Ontario right now? That’s a LOT to ask. Especially if next season is 82 games.

Token

May 15, 2019
Why would it be a “big fail”? Who exactly is capable of coming in next year and playing top line minutes? Vilardi? Some kid who is in Ontario right now? That’s a LOT to ask. Especially if next season is 82 games.

Simple fact that we don’t have finishers on top line wing. We have excellent forechecking, but that’s not the point of a top line.

Either Blake trades or signs someone worthy of top line minutes or Todd needs to plug in some talent from in-house.

We won’t win squat by graduating bottom-6 talent from the farm.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020

One of the biggest problems, is the Kings have not brought in any NHL talent from 24-27 years old....all the best Kings are 31-36
OR 18-21 !

I've been in Denver for years now and when I saw the AVs add 3 NHL players last year; it was the start of something monstrous.
Donskoi (27), Burakovsky (25) and Nichushkin (25 ) and ALL made big impacts last year and are this year...and Kadri (29) was added last year and Saad (28) this year.
They got Devon Toews (27) this year, who has been a helluva player. All these were added to the base of Mackinnon, Landsekog, Makar and Rantanen and now they
are a powerhouse.

Donskoi a free agent. Burakovsky for a 3rd rd pick and nobody prospect, Nichushkin for an 850,000 , 1 yr contract! Kadri in the Barrie deal...Saad for Zadorov.
Toews for 2, 2nd rd picks.

There's 6 damn good NHL players, from 25-29 years of age and not even a #1 pick dealt, or top prospect!!!!! The best players dealt? Tyson Barrie and Zadorov.
The Kings need about 2-3 players, from 24-27 that are good NHL players.

Any of: Donskoi, Burakovsky and even Nichushkin (and Saad, Kadri) would / could be top 6 on the Kings. Kings have no second NHL line. Sakic got these 6 for not much, in less than 24 months and ALL in their prime.

and D Devon Toews is the steal of 2021.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Ah, the classic "these are assets, not people" argument. Just trade Kopitar to get the most "value" back. Any dipshit can mentor the players and take on the No. 1 Center role like Kopitar.

Glad to know you want the Edmonton and Buffalo approach.

Yes because holding onto him to be a glorified babysitter is a much better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad