2020-21 Expected Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Tough call on that trade

Very close, could go either way. Usually that means it’s a good trade for both teams but idk if I’d make it.

One factor I haven’t seen brought up yet is that we might regret moving Maatta IF de Haan continues his injury woes. What if Strome blossoms(Legit top 6 talent), Lowry remains Lowry(3rd line talent), and we are in need of a vet/extra depth on the blue line? Then that trade might end up being very dumb.
Dylan Strome is not someone you want to trade in division. Imagine getting spanked by Connor-Strome-Wheeler all the time (and Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers).

Holloway-Lowry-Vesalainen ain't shutting them down lmao :laugh:

No thanks to that trade. We should not be helping the Jets.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
you don’t trade good players for cap stability or do people already forgot how Panarin for Saad (and his 3rd line level production) blew up in everyone’s faces
So do you think the Hawks trade of Leddy was a bad trade? Or a loss for the Hawks?

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
So do you think the Hawks trade of Leddy was a bad trade? Or a loss for the Hawks?
They traded a top 4 d for a D prospect that couldn’t even make the Dcore for a team who had a tire fire defense. Yes it was bad you can win a title and still lose trades.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They traded a top 4 d for a D prospect that couldn’t even make the Dcore for a team who had a tire fire defense. Yes it was bad you can win a title and still lose trades.
Hmm, seems the element of what they actually traded him for is left out of your review of it. You know, cap space to be able to fit the 14-15seasons cap.

It was a mortgage the future with a shot at a cup that was 100% successful. How is that a loss?

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Hmm, seems the element of what they actually traded him for is left out of your review of it. You know, cap space to be able to fit the 14-15seasons cap.

It was a mortgage the future with a shot at a cup that was 100% successful. How is that a loss?

You could trade a good player and get value back instead of just letting their drag their shit across your face. They couldnt keep leddy duh, but they could have actually traded him for something better like a 1st instead of a nothing player that was a bust before he even left the isles.

If the Hawks hypothetically traded Timmonen for 3 first rounders and still win the cup in 15 only to pick bottom 5 the next 3 years would you still pretend its a win even if he did nothing and didnt help at all?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
You could trade a good player and get value back instead of just letting their drag their shit across your face. They couldnt keep leddy duh, but they could have actually traded him for something better like a 1st instead of a nothing player that was a bust before he even left the isles.

If the Hawks hypothetically traded Timmonen for 3 first rounders and still win the cup in 15 only to pick bottom 5 the next 3 years would you still pretend its a win even if he did nothing and didnt help at all?
They could of gotten a better return, but I think that would be the icing. The point of the trade was the cup run and keeping the team 95% intact that just lost the wcf. They also could of kept Leddy and traded someone else maybe at a loss. Like had to throw in a prospect or player to remove Rozi or Oduya like they did for Bicks. But also not won another cup in the era.

My main point is don't go to the absolute. Saying no limit is silly and there would be a limit. But thinking what was totally intended as a cup run trade, and having that success, is a bad trade because the prospect return amounted to nothing is nonsense to me. And I see people so that.

Its like they would rather have the Hawks era have won 2 cups and been marginally better since 2016.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

When you're in a cap crunch, it's a game of chicken that you obviously will lose. The teams interested in the player you're moving can basically say "take it or leave it" and you have no choice. What are you going to do as a GM, forfeit games for being over the cap? At some point, you have to take what you can get.

With regard to Panarin, it's hard to see a scenario where he would have remained a Blackhawk past the 18-19 season, and his value has skyrocketed since the trade. Remember, before Panarin left the Hawks there were a lot of questions about how much of his production was his own talent and how much was due to playing with Kane. There were people who thought that he'd be a second liner without Kane. Therefore, the Hawks were never going to get fair value for him. Again, the Hawks were over a barrel and they weren't going to get fair value for him. Same with Teravainen. That's the huge issue with the Hawks cap issues over the years. When they decide to trade players, they can't get fair value and only are allowed to get spare parts due to being up against the cap. It's happened to other teams as well.

This may sound like making excuses for Bowman's bad trades, but he was never negotiating from a position of strength. When he has been, he's been able to get good returns. (see: Ryan Hartman and Strome deals)

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
To trade Strome for Lowry( or other defensive Center) is "good" if Dach IS your second line Center.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
To be fair, I don’t think Winnipeg does that trade. So moot point. I’d be just as happy keeping Strome and rolling with that Nylander-Strome-Kane line that was pretty damn good near the end until the season was shut down.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
To trade Strome for Lowry( or other defensive Center) is "good" if Dach IS your second line Center.

That’s not what the trade is, though. It’s a top-15 pick, a former 1st round pick with top-6 potential, and Lowry, who would become our shutdown 3C. Like I said above though, moot point as Winnipeg likely doesn’t take that deal.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Do we need a 3rd line center with Barratt/Kurashev on the come up? Sign a veteran middle six C.

Would anyone be open to trading Saad? Maybe trading for Sonny Milano?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Do we need a 3rd line center with Barratt/Kurashev on the come up? Sign a veteran middle six C.

Would anyone be open to trading Saad? Maybe trading for Sonny Milano?
Oh boy.

First of all, we have no problem with our center depth. Toews-Strome-Dach-Carpenter. I don't know why we'd need a veteran middle six center when all they'd do is take away minutes from Strome and Dach who are young and developing.

Yes, Saad should be traded as there is only one season left on his contract and he's going to want a pay raise which he isn't worth. Trading Saad for Milano would be an embarrassing failure.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Oh boy.

First of all, we have no problem with our center depth. Toews-Strome-Dach-Carpenter. I don't know why we'd need a veteran middle six center when all they'd do is take away minutes from Strome and Dach who are young and developing.

Yes, Saad should be traded as there is only one season left on his contract and he's going to want a pay raise which he isn't worth. Trading Saad for Milano would be an embarrassing failure.

Not suggesting Saad for Milano. But he could play a similar role.

I would like to trade Strome for a comparable winger on a good contract rather than what was discussed for Lowry, like Nylander even if we needed to add. Signing a middle six veteran center for a short term would give those prospects I mentioned some space to come into the league if they need it.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Not suggesting Saad for Milano. But he could play a similar role.

I would like to trade Strome for a comparable winger on a good contract rather than what was discussed for Lowry, like Nylander even if we needed to add. Signing a middle six veteran center for a short term would give those prospects I mentioned some space to come into the league if they need it.
If you trade Strome for a winger, it's gotta be for a Timo Meier type player.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Lowry isn’t even that great. He is just a bottom 6 C you can get those without trading guys like Strome. Lowry is already 27 there is no upside.
Vesalainen is putting up worse ahl numbers than Nylander yet he is being pimped as a top asset? 12th overall pick in what is a 7 player draft is the most valuable asset on the table

Reactions: Kevin Musto

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Why don’t we just ask the prophet himself to come down from his exalted streaming channel and bestow upon us what the future holds? Surely he knows.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
The ideal Strome trade is that we get a young LHD like Hanifin back. A very good wing like Meier would also be nice. If nothing like that is available and you can’t get a top-15 pick plus a valuable prospect (admittedly I’m higher on Vesalainen than most) plus a solid NHL player, then you keep Strome.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
The ideal Strome trade is that we get a young LHD like Hanifin back. A very good wing like Meier would also be nice. If nothing like that is available and you can’t get a top-15 pick plus a valuable prospect (admittedly I’m higher on Vesalainen than most) plus a solid NHL player, then you keep Strome.

I agree. Unless Bowman signs Strome to team-friendly contract, he should be traded for a need. Having Strome as a #3 center is a luxury the Hawks cannot afford. This is why I wanted Byram last season since it balanced out the team's roster. Strome for Hanifin is an ideal trade.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I agree. Unless Bowman signs Strome to team-friendly contract, he should be traded for a need. Having Strome as a #3 center is a luxury the Hawks cannot afford. This is why I wanted Byram last season since it balanced out the team's roster. Strome for Hanifin is an ideal trade.
I have no problem trading Strome for Hanifin.

Then I would try moving Maatta for Zacha.

Keith-Boqvist
Hanifin-Mitchell
de Haan-Murphy

Nice looking group on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad