2020-21 Expected Roster Talk - Part 3

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
He was very good in the playoffs and that's where it matters, right?

Yes, but when it comes to elite players as they get a bit older, slotting them down the lineup doesn't mean they don't have the skills, it means it's not fair to expect them to carry that workload of a top pairing d-man. I think we all can acknowledge that Keith plays too many minutes in the regular season and shouldn't be on PP1. He wouldn't be on a good team. In fact, he probably performs better with a bit of a lighter workload in the regular season but because he is the best d-man on the Hawks, that can't happen.

Like, think of adding him to the lineup in Carolina, where would you slot him? In Tampa? In Columbus? In Colorado? In Dallas?

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It couldn't be any more obvious that you should build a line around Dach and his development, and ideally not with Kane on his line so he doesn't defer too much. It's too bad we traded Saad because I think he'd have been a perfect winger for him along with Kubalik.

So with that being the case, I'd personally start the season with something like....

Shaw-Toews-Kane
Debrincat-Dach-Kubalik
Janmark-Strome-Wallmark
Highmore-Kampf-Carpenter

That puts some talent with Dach but not so much so that he's going to defer.... and he has 2 guys who can finish for him, but also defensively responsible enough of a line as a whole.

I don't know a lot about Wallmark, but maybe even put him at C on that line and let Strome try and keep up from a wing.

How about this if Shaw isn’t in to start?
Hagel-Toews-Kane
Debrincat-Dach-Kubalik
Kurashev-Strome-Nylander/Suter
Janmark-Wallmark-Kampf
Carpenter

Third line can be a sheltered developmental type line.

Edit: forgot Suter again :laugh:

Reactions: RayP

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
That guy could write anything and nobody could check unless he's actually revealing his sources. Don't think Powers has the credibility to build the network necessary to answer questions like this. Would be typical Athletics bs. All made up and no research at all. Also, most scout aren't cap experts. You can ask them about their opinion on players but everything beyond that would be nonsense and would require answers from serious hockey ops staff.

That's not true. He is a credentialed beat reporter. If he was just making shit up, the Hawks wouldn't credential him. Also, The Athletic and major news publications have consequences for reporters that make stuff up. Sure there have been cases, but they're rare and a firing offence. It literally trashes you to the point you are not employable. It's not the same as some rando making up trade rumours on Twitter.

Also, when it comes to anonymous sources, the journalist is accountable to their editor so it's not like they can just make it up. There are some major hockey insiders who work at The Athletic. If Powers was making shit up, don't you think LeBrun or Custance would be told by their league sources?

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Hagel-Toews-Kane
Debrincat-Dach-Kubalik
Kurashev-Strome-Nylander/Suter
Janmark-Wallmark-Kampf
Carpenter

Edit: forgot Suter again :laugh:

I'm kinda starting to get an Anisimov vibe from Strome in that he's fine as a middle six centre but he doesn't quite seem to fit with any line and is just hard to slot.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Hagel-Toews-Kane
Debrincat-Dach-Kubalik
Kurashev-Strome-Nylander
Janmark-Wallmark-Kampf
Carpenter

If Hagel can make that jump then I would put Suter with Dach and Kubalik
drop Cat with strome and Kurashev
and leave 4th line as is
Nylander out

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
That's not true. He is a credentialed beat reporter. If he was just making shit up, the Hawks wouldn't credential him. Also, The Athletic and major news publications have consequences for reporters that make stuff up. Sure there have been cases, but they're rare and a firing offence. It literally trashes you to the point you are not employable. It's not the same as some rando making up trade rumours on Twitter.

Also, when it comes to anonymous sources, the journalist is accountable to their editor so it's not like they can just make it up. There are some major hockey insiders who work at The Athletic. If Powers was making shit up, don't you think LeBrun or Custance would be told by their league sources?

This is just a guy who flatout doesn’t understand what he’s talking about.

Reactions: Giovi and ClydeLee

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I'm kinda starting to get an Anisimov vibe from Strome in that he's fine as a middle six centre but he doesn't quite seem to fit with any line and is just hard to slot.

Ya, if he doesn’t have a DeBrincat or Kane on his wing, then it’s pretty hard to imagine a good line fit for him.

Dach’s meteoric ascension has come at such a terrible time for Strome.

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Mark Eaton was interviewed by Pat Boyle on the new Hawks Talk Pod. I found a few interesting tidbits from Eaton:
  • He said Colliton’s defensive system is more common in the league, and Quenneville’s system was different than what most teams do
  • They asked Eaton about young players who are good in the AHL but struggle in the NHL, using Sikura as an example. Eaton said it’s on the player to realize what they’ll be in the NHL and adjust their game, and those who don’t won’t make it. He also said if you think you’re going to step in and run the half wall on the PP over Kane, that’s your fault. Seemed like a direct callout of Sikura.
  • They asked him what’s next for Strome and Nylander. Eaton spoke for about a minute on Nylander and essentially said time is running out for him to show he can be reliable and play up and down the lineup. Eaton then shifted to speaking about young players in general, never mentioning Strome.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
You guys are nice I must say.

The guys is giving us firsthand info from the Swiss league, info we can't have on our prospects otherwise.

Yeah he has different opinions and annoying traits.... And so do you, so do we. So now everyone should call out everyone?

There is already a bunch of 'holier than thou' posters who constantly act all mighty, why increase the numbers?
The thing is, his insights into everything else are so far off that a guys got to question his insights into the Swiss League.

Reactions: Pertti and Pez68

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Is that Strome for Sorokin rumored deal still on the table? That would make a lot of sense imo.

After drafting a goalie in the second round this year I can’t see Bowman doing that now.

Although I would.

But New York never would so I guess none of it really matters. Last year during their playoff push was our only chance.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

A soft, defensively inept, slow centerman, with good hands and offensive instincts, isn't exactly easy to slot in the lineup.... He needs to play wing, or forever be a guy who puts up points playing in the top six on terrible teams.

It's hard to be a good team when you have a center that needs to be sheltered.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
A soft, defensively inept, slow centerman, with good hands and offensive instincts, isn't exactly easy to slot in the lineup.... He needs to play wing, or forever be a guy who puts up points playing in the top six on terrible teams.

It's hard to be a good team when you have a center that needs to be sheltered.

That’s where I keep landing too. If he could just play wing in the top-six, I think his spot in the lineup with be pretty solid and I think the Hawks’ top-six would be set for a while.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That’s where I keep landing too. If he could just play wing in the top-six, I think his spot in the lineup with be pretty solid and I think the Hawks’ top-six would be set for a while.

Maybe try a Strome-Toews-Kane line?

I wouldn’t want him on the second line as a winger and dragging Dach down. BUT if he had to be, at least he could maybe take some faceoffs for Dach.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Maybe try a Strome-Toews-Kane line?

I wouldn’t want him on the second line as a winger and dragging Dach down. BUT if he had to be, at least he could maybe take some faceoffs for Dach.

That or Kubalik-Toews-Strome even. But I agree, if he’s wing it should be with Toews.

He has to make it work if he wants to stay with this franchise, imo. I don’t think Colliton wants to be forced to shelter lines, and a Strome-centered line is sheltered.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
MacKinnon is probably the most confident player in the entire league...yet still his confidence goes down to 0 when taking faceoffs, especially important ones. He'll never be considered an elite two way Center because he couldn't win faceoffs to save his dear life. You put him on the ice with a one goal lead and a minute to go in game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs and ask him to take a defensive zone draw vs. Toews, Bergeron or O'Reilly. I'd bet my house he'd lose it. He'd probably lose 9 out of 10 in that situation. At least. Why? It's a psychological thing.

This isn’t really true as MacKinnon has spoke to the confidence issues he has at time and how he works with a sports psychologist. He literally on the record talking about it.

Taking a draw in game and practice are a lot different. He has to keep taking draws in game to develop.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
DeBrincat Toews Kane
Kubalik Strome Dach
Suter Wallmark Nylander
Janmark Kampf Carpenter/Shaw

If we don't move Strome and wanted him to excel you could always have him split center duties with Dach for this season (ala McDavid and Drai in years past). Stick a strong power forward with a good shot on the open spot on that line and you could have a solid top 6 line.

Would also allow Wallmark to play 3C, which he seems more than capable of.

This wouldn't be my go to lineup, but it wouldn't be terrible as long as they can still give Dach enough time in the middle to continue to develop there.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This isn’t really true as MacKinnon has spoke to the confidence issues he has at time and how he works with a sports psychologist. He literally on the record talking about it.

Taking a draw in game and practice are a lot different. He has to keep taking draws in game to develop.

Didn't know. Having said that, a lot of players are working with psychologists these days. Nothing unique. And the way he's playing, it's almost arrogant at times. He's making it look very easy to dominate play. I don't know if he's the best but surely the most dominant player in the NHL right now. He can drive possession like nobody else.
He's always taking a lot of faceoffs in games but he's not improving. Like many others, even of the best and most talented and driven players. How do you explain this? I'm telling you it's a mental thing and losing faceoffs in games does make it worse.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
DeBrincat Toews Kane
Kubalik Strome Dach
Suter Wallmark Nylander
Janmark Kampf Carpenter/Shaw

If we don't move Strome and wanted him to excel you could always have him split center duties with Dach for this season (ala McDavid and Drai in years past). Stick a strong power forward with a good shot on the open spot on that line and you could have a solid top 6 line.

Would also allow Wallmark to play 3C, which he seems more than capable of.

This wouldn't be my go to lineup, but it wouldn't be terrible as long as they can still give Dach enough time in the middle to continue to develop there.
We already tried the Strome at wing experiment, he was awful there.

I honestly don't know what to do with him, as he's not a bottom 6 center and the top 6 spots are taken....if they want to trade him they either need to play him in the top 6 with talent and risk stunting Dach's development or.....Move Toews to the 3rd line until they can move Strome.

I don't want to trade Strome for pennies on the dollar because I still think he's a valuable offensive piece, but with the way the Hawks are built, unless Toews is willing to drop to 3C there isn't room for one of those two.

It seems they've been trying to move him out but can't find a fair deal. I honestly don't know what to do if that's the case. Schmaltz makes too much for what he brings so the deal was ok.

Selfishly, I don't want any reason for the idiots who hat JT to have a reason to claim he's not worthy of the HHOF and I still think he has a lot to give offensively.

I still think the best way to do this is to split up the top forwards among 3 lines, and how I'd do it is the following:

x-Toews-DeBrincat
x-Strome-Kane
Kubalik-Dach-x

Where x is Shaw, Suter, Janmark, Nylander.

and run all 3 lines 16-18 minutes per game.

Based on what Kelley said in his interview I think they're pretty close to punting on Nylander, which sucks....they missed there.

Reactions: Hinterland

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
We already tried the Strome at wing experiment, he was awful there.

I honestly don't know what to do with him, as he's not a bottom 6 center and the top 6 spots are taken....if they want to trade him they either need to play him in the top 6 with talent and risk stunting Dach's development or.....Move Toews to the 3rd line until they can move Strome.

I don't want to trade Strome for pennies on the dollar because I still think he's a valuable offensive piece, but with the way the Hawks are built, unless Toews is willing to drop to 3C there isn't room for one of those two.

It seems they've been trying to move him out but can't find a fair deal. I honestly don't know what to do if that's the case. Schmaltz makes too much for what he brings so the deal was ok.

Selfishly, I don't want any reason for the idiots who hat JT to have a reason to claim he's not worthy of the HHOF and I still think he has a lot to give offensively.

I still think the best way to do this is to split up the top forwards among 3 lines, and how I'd do it is the following:

x-Toews-DeBrincat
x-Strome-Kane
Kubalik-Dach-x

Where x is Shaw, Suter, Janmark, Nylander.

and run all 3 lines 16-18 minutes per game.

Based on what Kelley said in his interview I think they're pretty close to punting on Nylander, which sucks....they missed there.

He needs to be using this offseason to improve his game there. I’m willing to try him again at wing, or like CallMeShaft suggested, let him and Dach split the 2C spot.

I feel like Wallmark as the 3C gives you a better overall lineup. Maybe you score a little less, but you probably give up a lot less as opposed to a Strome-Nylander third line.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad