2020-21 Expected Roster Talk - Part 3

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Suter Toews Kubalik
Janmark Dach Kane
DeBrincat Strome Nylander
Kampf Wallmark Carpenter/Shaw

Suter gets to play with his countryman, who has grown a bit of chemistry with Toews. Janmark gets one of the 'lottery spots' playing alongside Dach and Kane, who will be all that line needs to be dominant offensively; Janmark can cover for Kane defensively and could help with faceoffs if need be. Nylander gets the mediocre 3rd line winger role where he won't be counted on to contribute in anyway; the other two should at least be able to generate offense and Cat will get plenty of PP minutes as well. 4th line is simple, outside of who sits if Shaw can play.
I like that first line. I don't mind Kane with Toews but prefer Kubalik stays with Toews and don't want Cat with either.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
The addition of Suter, Shaw, Janmark and Wallmark should really improve our forward group and give Colliton better options. It will also provide good pressure on Nylander to really blossom (or not). Compounded by Kurashev on the cusp, AN needs to take some steps.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Dach hasn't mastered anything in terms of faceoffs. Same goes for Janmark. Dach needs somebody who can take the faceoffs, not some friggin Janmark who's almost just as bad as him. Janmark may be a lefty but he can't win faceoffs. Opponents would just get the puck 2 out of 3 times after a faceoff vs that line. That's not acceptable.
The goal is, or should be, for Dach to become better at the dots.

The only way that happens is if he's taking faceoffs.

It's really no more complicated than that.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Kubalik Toews Suter
Janmark/Shaw Dach Kane
Shaw/Janmark Strome Cat
Hagel Carpenter Kampf

Spares
Nylander
Highmore
Wallmark
Smith

had a dream last night that Delia won the starting job.

Delia
Subban

Lankinen <- waiver exempt, so probably in the AHL

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Kubalik Toews Suter
Janmark/Shaw Dach Kane
Shaw/Janmark Strome Cat
Hagel Carpenter Kampf

Spares
Nylander
Highmore
Wallmark
Smith

had a dream last night that Delia won the starting job.

Delia
Subban

Lankinen <- waiver exempt, so probably in the AHL

Are you changing your mind on putting Toews and Kane together for the long term?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The goal is, or should be, for Dach to become better at the dots.

The only way that happens is if he's taking faceoffs.

It's really no more complicated than that.

Yeah. Worked perfectly for Connor McDavid, Ryan Rugent-Hopkins, Mark Scheifele, Nathan MacKinnon, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Jack Eichel and many others. They're just great at faceoffs. You're really helping players by contstantly frustrating them. Brilliant strategy.

Turnaround needs to come early or it will never come. Most players losing too many faceoffs early in their career never quite figure it out. It's a pychological thing...

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah. Worked perfectly for Connor McDavid, Ryan Rugent-Hopkins, Mark Scheifele, Nathan MacKinnon, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Jack Eichel and many others. They're just great at faceoffs. You're really helping players by contstantly frustrating them. Brilliant strategy.

Turnaround needs to come early or it will never come. Most players losing too many faceoffs early in their career never quite figure it out.

If you have a good video coach, work at it consistently, and the player is driven to improve the early losses don’t ruin them at all. Experience is HUGE is faceoffs and your method doesn’t give them that. You have to take them in game situations or you don’t learn. It is so much more that just the draw as well.

You named a few players but there are hundreds of other players that learned how Pez and I describe.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Turnaround needs to come early or it will never come. Most players losing too many faceoffs early in their career never quite figure it out.

If Dach becomes any of those guys overall, then that’s huge for this franchise. You’re picking one flaw of an exceptionally talent 19 year old and just digging in on it.

Every damn thing you post here has some contrarian tone to it. I haven’t seen you say one positive thing about this franchise or it’s young players.

Obviously logical criticism and debate is more than warranted and welcome, but everything you say is negative or contrary to any idea posted here.

You don’t post any of your own original ideas, you just try to drag every Hawks board poster.

Reactions: DesperateBeliever

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If you have a good video coach, work at it consistently, and the player is driven to improve the early losses don’t ruin them at all. Experience is HUGE is faceoffs and your method doesn’t give them that. You have to take them in game situations or you don’t learn. It is so much more that just the draw as well.

You'll struggle to find a player more driven than Nathan MacKinnon. This guy is absolutely crazy. So you're saying that the Avs video coaches suck ass? Or what's your point?:laugh:

Most of it is technique...you gotta be good to win. But once it's in your head, you lost. It's also your opponents head. They know they're gonna beat you and how to beat you. You can look at all the players taking faceoffs. Either they figure it out early or never. If you got a guy winning just 31%, that's alarm bells ringing. You gotta stop and practice before frustrating the player even further.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You'll struggle to find a player more driven than Nathan MacKinnon. This guy is absolutely crazy. So you're saying that the Avs video coaches suck ass? Or what's your point?:laugh:

Most of it is technique...you gotta be good to win. But once it's in your head, you lost. It's also your opponents head. They know they're gonna beat you and how to beat you. You can look at all the players taking faceoffs. Either they figure it out early or never. If you got a guy winning just 31%, that's alarm bells ringing. You gotta stop and practice before frustrating the player even further.

Dach seemed exceptionally confident on the ice ever since the return to play, not sure where you’re seeing evidence of him being frustrated.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If Dach becomes any of those guys overall, then that’s huge for this franchise. You’re picking one flaw of an exceptionally talent 19 year old and just digging in on it.

Every damn thing you post here has some contrarian tone to it. I haven’t seen you say one positive thing about this franchise or it’s young players.

Obviously logical criticism and debate is more than warranted and welcome, but everything you say is negative or contrary to any idea posted here.

You don’t post any of your own original ideas, you just try to drag every Hawks board poster.

You're reading the wrong posts obviously:laugh:

I'm just telling you facts. It's in everybody's best interest not to frustrate Dach regarding faceoffs. Let the guy practice and try again once he's ready.

Those guys may be seen as great hockey players but anytime they take an important faceoff, they're very very likely to lose it. Not because they're not good enough to win faceoffs, it's in their head and it costs their teams goals against and points as well. That's gonna frustrate them even further. None of these guys will ever be considered elite two way Centers...some may say RNH but I disagree.

The only thing between Dach becoming an elite two way Center are the faceoffs. You don't wanna ruin his development now by making the same mistakes as other franchises.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You're reading the wrong posts obviously:laugh:

I'm just telling you facts.
It's in everybody's best interest not to frustrate Dach regarding faceoffs. Let the guy practice and try again once he's ready.

Those guys may be seen as great hockey players but anytime they take an important faceoff, they're very very likely to lose it. Not because they're not good enough to win faceoffs, it's in their head and it costs their teams goals against and points as well. That's gonna frustrate them even further. None of these guys will ever be considered elite two way Centers...some may say RNH but I disagree.

The only thing between Dach becoming an elite two way Center are the faceoffs. You don't wanna ruin his development now by making the same mistakes as other franchises.

It’s not just this, it’s literally everything you post. You seem to just look for spots to tell posters on this board that they’re wrong.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Dach seemed exceptionally confident on the ice ever since the return to play, not sure where you’re seeing evidence of him being frustrated.

MacKinnon is probably the most confident player in the entire league...yet still his confidence goes down to 0 when taking faceoffs, especially important ones. He'll never be considered an elite two way Center because he couldn't win faceoffs to save his dear life. You put him on the ice with a one goal lead and a minute to go in game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs and ask him to take a defensive zone draw vs. Toews, Bergeron or O'Reilly. I'd bet my house he'd lose it. He'd probably lose 9 out of 10 in that situation. At least. Why? It's a psychological thing.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The addition of Suter, Shaw, Janmark and Wallmark should really improve our forward group and give Colliton better options. It will also provide good pressure on Nylander to really blossom (or not). Compounded by Kurashev on the cusp, AN needs to take some steps.

Besides the fact that he shouldn't play nhl anyway for development reasons, I don't think there's room for Nylander anyway. Kurashev and Hagel deserve spots and passed Nylander already, Highmore won a 4th line spot in last seasons playoffs. Add the guys you mentioned plus maybe even Zack Smith and Nylander is a goner. Very deep forward group. Wish they didn't get Janmark. I like Wallmark but Janmark is a player the Blackhawks don't really need.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You must be confusing me with somebody else...the burger king guy maybe?:huh:

No, I’m certainly not confusing you with anybody. And I’m not the only one who is over it, see @RayP ’s post above.

Also, the “BK guy” has posted here for a long time and has built up a lot more respect from the posters here than you have.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Turnaround needs to come early or it will never come. Most players losing too many faceoffs early in their career never quite figure it out. It's a pychological thing...

:laugh:

I have taken thousands of faceoffs in my lifetime. I've coached various levels of youth hockey, including high school, and have worked with countless players on developing their faceoff abilities... Hell, when I was playing youth hockey, I actually worked with a former Indianapolis Ice center, who they brought in to help us out with faceoff technique and strategy.

You quite literally have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. This is one of those topics where, if you haven't played the position, you likely know a fraction of what you need to know, to comment. Stop making a fool of yourself.

P.S. Jack Eichel's first three seasons of NHL faceoffs: 41%, 39%, 41%. Averaged 40.5%. Over the last two seasons, he averages 47%. "Turnaround must come early" lmao

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Are you changing your mind on putting Toews and Kane together for the long term?
A lot has changed since last season where I was adamant on them playing together. Debrincat and Strome tailed off, and Dach and Kubalik emerged.

Long story short, I think it's better for Dach to play a lot of minutes with high end talent, and Toews really played well with Kubalik a lot last year.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
If what you really want is Dach to get his own minutes and be his own trusting self weapon. I think you gotta play Kane with Toews and keep Dach with someone steady like Kubalik who can finish.

Reactions: Pez68

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Besides the fact that he shouldn't play nhl anyway for development reasons, I don't think there's room for Nylander anyway. Kurashev and Hagel deserve spots and passed Nylander already, Highmore won a 4th line spot in last seasons playoffs. Add the guys you mentioned plus maybe even Zack Smith and Nylander is a goner. Very deep forward group. Wish they didn't get Janmark. I like Wallmark but Janmark is a player the Blackhawks don't really need.

I'm guessing you're wrong. We'll see soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad